• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT4| Did you see that Ludogorets display last night?

omgkitty

So PSG have accepted a bid for Rabiot from Roma, though that may not mean shit if he doesn't want to go there. Hopefully Arsene has him locked down already and just needs to have a bid accepted. They already stole Manolas from us. They can fuck right off.

Wilbur

Banned
oh

he's still my favorite player to watch

chelsea's a better team with him around

i cheer for him whenever he assists or scores or gets subbed in

sure, his international form's not what it used to be, but he was fantastic for us last season

with proper midfield support, he'd be the PL's top scorer

my

sure, his international form's not what it used to be, but he was fantastic for us last season

giddy

cunt

Cristiano: individual titles in 2014

- Ballon d'Or
- Golden Shoe
- UCL top scorer
- Pichichi
- Di Stefano award
- UEFA Best Player

Incredible athlete.

Conference notes

I know its early days in your time in England, is this job the biggest challenge?
"You can never compare i believe, you can never compare because, when I started with the National team no-one believed that we are qualified, after that we dont have any chance to come through the first group matches, after that we shall lose against every opponent. So you cannot compare it with Bayern, which is also another culture, or Barca, you cannot compare it, but at AZ I trained there, a minor club like Burnley, more or less and at the end they were the champions. So every challenge is a challenge, there are different levels also I think, the clubs are also differently managed and as a trainer coach you have to adapt to the culture of the country. I think the other people have to say what I have influence"

Harder here?
"No, i have read your articles when I was in the United states and I was the king, I am the same LvG, I am confident I shall succeed here. I said already in the US that I need time, it takes always 3 months that players are used to the other philosophy because it is not so easy and then i have given examples with driving my car, so that is also for me."

What positives have you taken
"I think that we have made steps in our process and before I started i explained i would give to every player a fair chance and I have given every player a fair chance, including players who were not in the US, i have done this before the 1st of September, a reasonable chance to move or not. This process needs time and I hope we shall succeed and we are this year in the top 4 because the champions league suits a club like Man United, the next step is being a champion and the next step winner of the CL, that takes time. Alot of clubs have found that for many years."

You have had tough times before, do you ever question your own ability?
"No, no im sorry"

Talk of players coming and going, how much activity expected?
"Im not the one who can choose, I have said my opinion, in many conferences also, I give my opinion and the player can do what he wants with that opinion."

Who is in charge of transfers
"I will say what players I want and what are better to leave and Ed Woodward does the transfer market, so I dont interfere in that process."

Rojo?
"I cannot change the law, so we have to obey the law, it takes more time than is suitable to me but the president doesnt care. It will be ok, a matter of time."

Wayne England cap, extra responsibility?
"Yes of course, otherwise I would not make him captain of United, it is the same role as he shall do in the national team. i have taken 3 weeks to observe all my players in the US and I think he si ready for it, the future shall confirm that or not, my opinion he will be great"

Any hope for England left?
"Its very difficult to say something about that, I have to know the English culture also, also how they have structured here the youth education. In the coming month I shall learn that, its also a step in the process, you know my opinion. When you educae young players its much easier to put them in the lineup, thats also a goal I have to reach with this club, i have done it with Barca, Bayern so why I cannot do it here? The most important thing is the first team, now my concern is much more related to that"

What do you expect about Burnley?
"Its not some big stadium, or a big pitch so its a fantastic atmosphere I believe. The supports will stimulate the players, they shall play with alot of passion and long balls and you have to fight against it, it shall be a very difficult game, we have to show that we can play football and pass the ball in-spite of the pressure"

Do you remember playing as Ajax
"We won eh? 1-0 it was also a step in the process with me in Ajax, we won the uefa in the first year and the second year only the cup"

Do you have many memories?
"It was a friendly preseason"

Thanks Cola!

God I'm in the babers and they're talking about football and they're chatting complete shit.

- Jovetic didn't get a chance last season
- Di Maria is poor, Madrid will just replace him with Higuain in the team
- Drogba will score 20 goals this season

Premfaces everywhere. Christ.

Jordan Ibe to Derby? Definitely going to try and catch them when they're on TV, seem like they have an exciting little team. Though George Thorne is out for a while iirc, which is a shame.

So PSG have accepted a bid for Rabiot from Roma, though that may not mean shit if he doesn't want to go there. Hopefully Arsene has him locked down already and just needs to have a bid accepted. They already stole Manolas from us. They can fuck right off.

Surprised you're not in on these, man.

Get French Football @GFN_France
Arsenal remain close to a deal with PSG for Adrien Rabiot, despite Roma agreement.
Full story: http://goo.gl/xDW0tS #ASR #PSG #AFC

A source at AS Roma has told @RMCsport that the club has yet to reach an agreement with PSG for Adrien Rabiot. #PSG #ASR

RMC: It remains neck-and-neck between AS Roma and Arsenal in the race to sign Adrien Rabiot. #PSG #AFC #ASR​

...and

BBC: Arsenal are in talks with Radamel Falcao's agent over a possible loan move. #AFC #ASM​

Meier

We'll see

I have full faith that the likes of Ibe, Rossiter, maybe McLaughlin will get their chance in the first team at some point, in some competition(s).

That's fine. I have similar faith in a number of our best youth products. But there is now a far greater likelihood that they'll end up like Jack Robinson than Sterling. What has transpired since my original post in July has been absolutely correct in really every regard.

omgkitty

Jordan Ibe to Derby? Definitely going to try and catch them when they're on TV, seem like they have an exciting little team. Though George Thorne is out for a while iirc, which is a shame.

Surprised you're not in on these, man.

Arsenal remain close to a deal with PSG for Adrien Rabiot, despite Roma agreement.
Full story: http://goo.gl/xDW0tS #ASR #PSG #AFC

A source at AS Roma has told @RMCsport that the club has yet to reach an agreement with PSG for Adrien Rabiot. #PSG #ASR

RMC: It remains neck-and-neck between AS Roma and Arsenal in the race to sign Adrien Rabiot. #PSG #AFC #ASR

BBC: Arsenal are in talks with Radamel Falcao's agent over a possible loan move. #AFC #ASM​

Ugh that BBC one is fake. Some ass hole made a fake David Ornstein account and the BBC picked it up and retweeted, and now a bunch of people are.

Do you not think the money you've spent would perhaps have been better used on more, cheaper targets? We'll have to see how the season (and rest of the window) pans out to make a real judgement, but it seems that way from the outside. Maybe much stronger in 3 positions, but could have been decently stronger in 7

Yenrot is quite right. Our business has been dire. Rejected by our top two defensive targets, missed out on our top midfield target and failed to bring in more players we needed. Then we failed to bring in players in a prompt manner and were forced to start the season with a team alarmingly similar to the one which finished 7th last summer. We know that LvG was openly annoyed with Woodward at the lack of movement a few weeks ago. Just because we've signed good players doesn't mean we've had a good window. We've utterly failed in addressing the main problems of our squad.

I was more referring to the fact that players we signed are bad signings.

In terms of all the signings we did need, it doesn't hit close.

The thing is, we did need Herrera, we did need a new LB, we did need a good Winger (when was the last time we had one?). Rojo...whatever, will give you that one.

It's that we also need a DM and 2 CBs at least.

It's not that I am happy with the window. But I am NOT unhappy with the players we have signed. We just need 2x more of that in other positions.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Arsenal v Galatasary 1 Oct
Tottenham v Besiktas 2 Oct

Going to be a mental midweek.

Clegg

God I'm in the babers and they're talking about football and they're chatting complete shit.

- Jovetic didn't get a chance last season
- Di Maria is poor, Madrid will just replace him with Higuain in the team
- Drogba will score 20 goals this season

Premfaces everywhere. Christ.

Phil Thompson was on Irish radio last night talking about how much trouble Higuain would cause Liverpool when they played Madrid.

Bold One

Do you not think the money you've spent would perhaps have been better used on more, cheaper targets? We'll have to see how the season (and rest of the window) pans out to make a real judgement, but it seems that way from the outside. Maybe much stronger in 3 positions, but could have been decently stronger in 7

There are no 'cheap' targets when United is buying, everyone wants a slice of the sponsorship money.

sohois

Both Liverpool and United have spent similar amounts this summer, around £130million.

And yet Liverpool are left in a much better position. Of course Liverpool already had a better team, but if you look at Liverpool's business they've done a lot better in covering all of their weaknesses.

There isn't a single position Liverpool now don't have 2 competent players (maybe GK, but I reckon Jones certainly qualifies as competent cover). There is quality in most positions as well, and youth, and experience. What is more, none of the players Liverpool have signed seem to me to be a case of "CL only signings". If Utd were competent and quick to negotiate, any of the players Liverpool signed could have been theirs (save perhaps Lambert).

Lovren would probably be Utd's best defender. Manquillo would have made a fine RB option. Can would be a good DM partner to their more glamorous attacking midfield options. That's 3 players for half of Di Maria, or one Shaw.

I made this same point last season about Moyes transfer window - Woodward needed to stop chasing the marquee, £50million signing and bring in 3 good quality players for the same amount. It's not like United were desparate for a WC player when they have Mata and Rooney and RVP and De Gea.

Godan

So if Arsenal managed to pull off the Falcao loan deal do you think there would be a option for us to him at the end of the deal?

omgkitty

http://www.bbc.com/sport/live/28667339

It's on their website though. 15:01.

Yeah, they literally got the information from that tweet from the fake account.

So if Arsenal managed to pull off the Falcao loan deal do you think there would be a option for us to him at the end of the deal?

I would assume so. Monaco want him off their books, and they've basically realized no one wants to pay 60m or 70m for a player who was out with a serious injury last season. All the talk seems to be a loan now, buy next year deal. I think Arsenal are actually interested, but I'm afraid it's not going to happen simply because we'll hit a snag along the way whether it's over final price or wages.

LegoArmo

I'd happily have Lovren, Can, Balotelli or Markovic. Don't really need the last two so much but Mario is jokes and Markovic is gonna be class.

Aye, they're good signings for Liverpool. United already have enough quality in those positions though.

Can could be interesting.

Salvadora

A lot of Liverpool's signings are still, as of yet, unknown quantities.

Manquillo/Moreno/Can/Markovic etc could look like blinders by the end of the season, or not.

sohois

Lovren is the only one of Liverpool's signings who would make any sense for United. The rest would not be upgrades in any way.

Can would be a lot better than any of your DM options.

Manquillo looks to be much better as RB cover than Smalling or someone.

You don't particularly need the other options, I'm just pointing out that for the same kind of outlays Liverpool brought in more than double the number of players Utd managed.

Clegg

Both Liverpool and United have spent similar amounts this summer, around £130million.

And yet Liverpool are left in a much better position. Of course Liverpool already had a better team, but if you look at Liverpool's business they've done a lot better in covering all of their weaknesses.

There isn't a single position Liverpool now don't have 2 competent players (maybe GK, but I reckon Jones certainly qualifies as competent cover). There is quality in most positions as well, and youth, and experience. What is more, none of the players Liverpool have signed seem to me to be a case of "CL only signings". If Utd were competent and quick to negotiate, any of the players Liverpool signed could have been theirs (save perhaps Lambert).

Lovren would probably be Utd's best defender. Manquillo would have made a fine RB option. Can would be a good DM partner to their more glamorous attacking midfield options. That's 3 players for half of Di Maria, or one Shaw.

I made this same point last season about Moyes transfer window - Woodward needed to stop chasing the marquee, £50million signing and bring in 3 good quality players for the same amount. It's not like United were desparate for a WC player when they have Mata and Rooney and RVP and De Gea.

Agree with your post other than the bit about the Attack. Rooney, Mata and RVP are all brilliant players, but there's zero thrust in that attack. Di Maria was needed as we have no attacker that can dribble at speed past a defenders. Maybe we should've prioritised signings in midfield and defence, but Di Maria was definitely a must buy.

Walshy

A lot of Liverpool's signings are still, as of yet, unknown quantities.

Manquillo/Moreno/Can/Markovic etc could look like blinders by the end of the season, or not.
Depends on whether we get Champions League tbh.

I have high hopes for Markovic more than the others though, really hope he starts vs. Spurs.

In 3 years we will win everything. #gaalknows

I agree:

743736000ae3c0fbc9a78004db0a40ea.jpg

1417.jpg

Nice additions to the cabinet.

League 2 and the Johnstone's Paint Trophy. What a double.

Beaten. At least I got pictures.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
NEW LvG Interview on MUTV

Has Di Maria impressed in training?
"Yes the first session was very impressive, the second was a little bit less but he has to adapt to the culture, to the players with whom he shall play and the other way around also.

Is he ready to play?
"He is fit enough, I think he is ready"

It will be a culture shock Burnely
"I dont know, a game is a game, he has alot of hunger to play because he wants to support United, he said it in the conference, he is a very modest guy, he wants to work for the team"

You have 10 players missing, any close to coming back?
"Alot of players shall be fit after the international week, but now I dont have these 10 players"

Rojo
"He has to do all the things he has to do to achieve the permit"

Glad of the break?
"Of course because its not normal to have such a list of injuries, i am not used to this"

CL Draw and we are not in it
"Im a trainer who is used to being in the CL so for me its a little bit strange that we are not in it, we shall work hard ot be in it next year"

Wayne England cap
"Big honour when you are this, it shall stimulate him, he is ready which is why i made him captain of United, he has to confirm it in the next year"

What improvements do you want to see v Burnley?
"I hope we are building up more carefully than the last match because we create alot of chances but we have problems in building up situations, we lose th eball in the first phase and give the match away"

What are you expecting of Burnley?
"It is always difficult to have promoted teams in the first 7 weeks because they are very motivated, it is also a derby so it shall be very difficult to win there, it is a small pitch and the crowd is close. But we have to win"

There really are not any easy games in the PL
"There are none but there are neither in Germany or Spain, every game you have to fight for it and its not easy"

You were there with Ajax
"It was also a step in the process because i took over in 91 and we won the Uefa cup in the first year and in the second only the cup, that is the year that we played v Burnley and won 1-0. It was after season of course and a narrow escape and I dont remember anything of the match, it was also a step in the process because in the third year we won everything."

Are you enjoying the role?
Certainly because of the fans, I never have the experience that fans are shouting and singing inspite of our loss, that shall not continue if we lose and lose but it is amazing they are supporting us in that way. My role is of course now more difficult and you cannot lose against second level teams but there are the circumstances, 10 injuries and I want to play all the players before 1st sep to give them a chance. Now we have to make more steps, with Di Maria this will give an acceleration in the process"

Top Bottom