• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT4| Did you see that Ludogorets display last night?

I just have issues with people looking down on other people's hobbies. Probably because the field I'm working in have happily married adults buying this sort of stuff yet still managing to get their work done on time, and their family happy.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as you're responsible for your family and career, you can buy all the figurines you want. That's why I feel so annoyed about his comments.

Her*

And where did I say people shouldn't buy figurines? I simply said I don't understand it. I don't know how that makes my comment ironic because we're on a gaming forum, not all games are made for kids in mind. Amiibo clearly is.

BwKdgWhCMAAnxyS.jpg

See, that's a good Bayern shirt. Although the treble winning one is still the best.

Also forgot about Bayern's CL one. Looks bland.

Clegg

Might be clutching at straws here but Taylor made it pretty clear that his "reluctance" at even mentioning Uniteds transfer briefings is down to United denying absolutely everything this summer even though it was obvious deals we're being done.

+1

We cannot please anyone anyway.

The board obviously wants to please Pep. But I'm not even mad. He had success with Barca, he had success with Bayern. Give him some goodies. I don't want stagnation either.

How many players meet these requirements:

1. Tons of CL experience. You'd feel safe starting him in the midfield against top level competition

2. Familiar with the system Pep Guardiola wants to play, so he can have an impact right away.

3. Actually available for purchase.

Only Xabi Alonso meets all three conditions. It's a no brainer signing.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
United gaf, any thoughts on potential left field signings for CM? MEN is saying Schneiderlin is another player we have no interest in, anything we get from here has to be out of the blue.

United gaf, any thoughts on potential left field signings for CM? MEN is saying Schneiderlin is another player we have no interest in, anything we get from here has to be out of left field.
Our summer is done mate.

Time to trim the squad and wage bill - which btw will be considerably smaller than it was when the season ended.

Wooders has appeased all.

Elchele

Yeah, Xabi Alonso signing is a great piece of business for us. Bernat and specially Pepe Reina on the other hand... classic Pep.

Kroos is an upgrade on Alonso, Alonso is a decent replacement for Kroos. Madrid got the better deal imo, but Bayern will be fine and made a hefty profit. Plus, it's not like they'll struggle to replace Alonso when the time comes

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Press conf program started on MUTV, should take place in half hour

Elchele

Kroos is an upgrade on Alonso, Alonso is a decent replacement for Kroos. Madrid got the better deal imo, but Bayern will be fine and made a hefty profit. Plus, it's not like they'll struggle to replace Alonso when the time comes

they can't replace each other at all. Xabi is more of a short term solution for Javi and Schweinsteiger injuries. Kroos is a CM/AM, his defensive contributions are weak to say the least.

As I have been saying, the Kroos' replacement is Gaudino, not Xabi.

TeegsD

I'm glad Carvalho isnt leaving anymore... *knock on wood* because we need him to win the league this year.

Just realized I sound like an Arsenal fan... "this will be our year"

Louis van Gaal on Burnley clash: "It will be a fantastic atmosphere. They'll play with a lot of passion and long balls."

LVG is in for a shock tomorrow then.

Meier

Jordon Ibe on loan to Derby for the season. I think I predicted this could be his breakout year for us, but I guess that was made difficult with the signings of Lallana, Markovic and Balotelli. That's the downside of our new found #squad #depth.

What can I say, I tip my hat to myself.

they can't replace each other at all. Xabi is more of a short term solution for Javi and Schweinsteiger injuries. Kroos is a CM/AM, his defensive contributions are weak to say the least.

I assumed you'd change you system to allow Alonso to sit while Schweinsteiger or Thiago takes Kroos' role. Not direct replacements for one-another obviously, but both teams have versatile enough midfielders to work the other players around the swap imo

Meier you tit, we always said there was a chance Ibe would go on loan. If he's still on loan when he's 21, that's when you can start making leaps of assumption about the way we regard our youth setup

Yen

And yet look at our squad.

Which highlights what poor business they've done, having spent the highest net in one window in English history. A chubby LB, a 25 year old 'prospect', a man with tattoos on his thighs, and a (admittedly great) winger to play as your box-to-box midfielder. Ignoring the fact your entire defence is awful, and your 25 year old prospect is going to be your only decent CM.

Edit: not to mention your manager is just a shit David Lynch

Bold One

Which highlight what poor business they've done, having spent the highest net in one window in English history. A chubby LB, a 25 year old 'prospect', a man with tattoos on his thighs, and a (admittedly great) winger to play as your box-to-box midfielder. Ignoring the fact your entire defence is awful, and your 25 year old prospect is going to be your only decent CM.

we do what we want

we do what we want

we're Man United, we do what we want.

Jarnet87

window is done, Strootman in January. lets just hope we can stay midtable over the next month or two, and hopefully start to play some good football by midseason. We'll probably hear of some wild last minute bids that don't go through. Last year we found out Ozil was offered to us, and that we tried to get Khedira plus Coentrao on loan.

That would be insane. At least one midfielder has to come in.
Anything we do now will be rushed and panicked. I don't expect anything now. I can't see Van Gaal agreeing to sign players in that context.

Tbf we did get a CM, we just need more.
2 more. Although one will suffice for now. Di Maria will probably play there for now. If he can perform like he did at Madrid he'll be one of the best in the world ever.

dc89

Which highlights what poor business they've done, having spent the highest net in one window in English history. A chubby LB, a 25 year old 'prospect', a man with tattoos on his thighs, and a (admittedly great) winger to play as your box-to-box midfielder. Ignoring the fact your entire defence is awful, and your 25 year old prospect is going to be your only decent CM.

yes. YES!!

Hive mind will get you

221-honeybee.png

Anyone else feel like Nintendo are doing a REreremake and probably shitting this stuff out for a guaranteed one-time cash injection to try and cover for a WiiU's lack of sales?

Edit: not to mention your manager is such a shit David Lynch

We did have a really shit squad to begin with. I don't really know what we've waited all summer for. It better be good.

FuturusX

So...Guardian is reporting that UTD are attempting to offload a range if fringe players before the window shuts. Wellbeck, Shingi, Cleverly and other bits if drift wood.

Wellbeck has to take his skills elsewhere but it can't be a top 6 team. Does that mean one of his options is to stay at UTD?

Load of crap that is.

Business as such done is fine, just not covering everything we needed. That is down to the fact that Fergie in his last 4 years and then Moyes had failure of transfer windows in summer and winter.

Moyes bought two players we never needed.
Fergie bought players (except RVP) that also we never needed and bought cheap ones to make some point which is what ultimately left us in the current situation.

Compared to those, this window has been good. Unfortunately, the squad is so weak that we would need 4 other players at least to make it decent. That's where this window becomes a mixed bag/bad.

Shaw was great last season. If he plays for United for 10 odd years it's money (paid over market value) well spent.
Herrera isn't a prospect, he was a big part of bilbao qualifying for CL this year.
Di Maria is a world class player, an opportunity that wouldn't have come around again.
Rojo...yea, no idea how he will do. But this one to me is more of a forced into it by Evra leaving and then Vermaelen not getting wrapped up.

Her*

And where did I say people shouldn't buy figurines? I simply said I don't understand it. I don't know how that makes my comment ironic because we're on a gaming forum, not all games are made for kids in mind. Amiibo clearly is.

Nevermind, I apologise as well for losing my temper.

Not having a good day at he moment.

Meier

Meier you tit, we always said there was a chance Ibe would go on loan. If he's still on loan when he's 21, that's when you can start making leaps of assumption about the way we regard our youth setup
"We" is not even remotely accurate. Maybe one or some of you did, but others were adamant that Liverpool would continue to play tons of young academy players and Ibe would break out this season and blah blah blah. Keep your dream alive Hitch, but it ain't reality. Liverpool have invested over £100m and will continue to spend. You can't have a bunch of teenagers learning on the job if you've spent that much and want to win the league plus compete in the Champions League. Just the way it goes.

Unfortunately Gaudino is 17 years old and won't be able to play even half of a 40 game season, so he'll still play a lot in Bayern 2 this year I think. Hojbjerg and Green are too good for Bayern 2 at this point.

I feel like a loan is the only option.

Mr Cola

Conference notes

I know its early days in your time in England, is this job the biggest challenge?
"You can never compare i believe, you can never compare because, when I started with the National team no-one believed that we are qualified, after that we dont have any chance to come through the first group matches, after that we shall lose against every opponent. So you cannot compare it with Bayern, which is also another culture, or Barca, you cannot compare it, but at AZ I trained there, a minor club like Burnley, more or less and at the end they were the champions. So every challenge is a challenge, there are different levels also I think, the clubs are also differently managed and as a trainer coach you have to adapt to the culture of the country. I think the other people have to say what I have influence"

Harder here?
"No, i have read your articles when I was in the United states and I was the king, I am the same LvG, I am confident I shall succeed here. I said already in the US that I need time, it takes always 3 months that players are used to the other philosophy because it is not so easy and then i have given examples with driving my car, so that is also for me."

What positives have you taken
"I think that we have made steps in our process and before I started i explained i would give to every player a fair chance and I have given every player a fair chance, including players who were not in the US, i have done this before the 1st of September, a reasonable chance to move or not. This process needs time and I hope we shall succeed and we are this year in the top 4 because the champions league suits a club like Man United, the next step is being a champion and the next step winner of the CL, that takes time. Alot of clubs have found that for many years."

You have had tough times before, do you ever question your own ability?
"No, no im sorry"

Talk of players coming and going, how much activity expected?
"Im not the one who can choose, I have said my opinion, in many conferences also, I give my opinion and the player can do what he wants with that opinion."

Who is in charge of transfers
"I will say what players I want and what are better to leave and Ed Woodward does the transfer market, so I dont interfere in that process."

Rojo?
"I cannot change the law, so we have to obey the law, it takes more time than is suitable to me but the president doesnt care. It will be ok, a matter of time."

Wayne England cap, extra responsibility?
"Yes of course, otherwise I would not make him captain of United, it is the same role as he shall do in the national team. i have taken 3 weeks to observe all my players in the US and I think he si ready for it, the future shall confirm that or not, my opinion he will be great"

Any hope for England left?
"Its very difficult to say something about that, I have to know the English culture also, also how they have structured here the youth education. In the coming month I shall learn that, its also a step in the process, you know my opinion. When you educae young players its much easier to put them in the lineup, thats also a goal I have to reach with this club, i have done it with Barca, Bayern so why I cannot do it here? The most important thing is the first team, now my concern is much more related to that"

What do you expect about Burnley?
"Its not some big stadium, or a big pitch so its a fantastic atmosphere I believe. The supports will stimulate the players, they shall play with alot of passion and long balls and you have to fight against it, it shall be a very difficult game, we have to show that we can play football and pass the ball in-spite of the pressure"

Do you remember playing as Ajax
"We won eh? 1-0 it was also a step in the process with me in Ajax, we won the uefa in the first year and the second year only the cup"

Do you have many memories?
"It was a friendly preseason"

Load of crap that is.

Business as such done is fine, just not covering everything we needed. That is down to the fact that Fergie in his last 4 years and then Moyes had failure of transfer windows in summer and winter.

Fergie bought players (except RVP) that also we never needed and bought cheap ones to make some point which is what ultimately left us in the current situation.

Compared to those, this window has been good. Unfortunately, the squad is so weak that we would need 4 other players at least to make it decent. That's where this window becomes a mixed bag/bad.

Shaw was great last season. If he plays for United for 10 odd years it's money (paid over market value) well spent.
Herrera isn't a prospect, he was a big part of bilbao qualifying for CL this year.
Di Maria is a world class player, an opportunity that wouldn't have come around again.
Rojo...yea, no idea how he will do. But this one to me is more of a forced into it by Evra leaving and then Vermaelen not getting wrapped up.

Do you not think the money you've spent would perhaps have been better used on more, cheaper targets? We'll have to see how the season (and rest of the window) pans out to make a real judgement, but it seems that way from the outside. Maybe much stronger in 3 positions, but could have been decently stronger in 7

Elchele

Unfortunately Gaudino is 17 years old and won't be able to play even half of a 40 game season, so he'll still play a lot in Bayern 2 this year I think. Hojbjerg and Green are too good for Bayern 2 at this point.

I feel like a loan is the only option.

Højbjerg should go on loan, but I think Pep will want to keep him for at least the first half of the season in case of emergency. If Thiago and Schweinsteiger are back for the winter, then he's off on loan for sure.

Green has yet to play a full season with the reserves. I would put him there and give him a couple of matches in the first team. He still needs time

Gaudino skipped the reserves, Pep already promoted him to first team and I doubt we'll see him outside of the first team unless he starts to suck. He won't play all the matches, obviously, but he's going to be a starter in a lot of Bundesliga matches at least.

"We" is not even remotely accurate. Maybe one or some of you did, but others were adamant that Liverpool would continue to play tons of young academy players and Ibe would break out this season and blah blah blah. Keep your dream alive Hitch, but it ain't reality. Liverpool have invested over £100m and will continue to spend. You can't have a bunch of teenagers learning on the job if you've spent that much and want to win the league plus compete in the Champions League. Just the way it goes.

We'll see

I have full faith that the likes of Ibe, Rossiter, maybe McLaughlin will get their chance in the first team at some point, in some competition(s).

Clegg

Load of crap that is.

Yenrot is quite right. Our business has been dire. Rejected by our top two defensive targets, missed out on our top midfield target and failed to bring in more players we needed. Then we failed to bring in players in a prompt manner and were forced to start the season with a team alarmingly similar to the one which finished 7th last summer. We know that LvG was openly annoyed with Woodward at the lack of movement a few weeks ago. Just because we've signed good players doesn't mean we've had a good window. We've utterly failed in addressing the main problems of our squad.

I'm glad Carvalho isnt leaving anymore... *knock on wood* because we need him to win the league this year.

Just realized I sound like an Arsenal fan... "this will be our year"

No titles, squad full of youngsters, we're buying young french players or players that played in France ...

Oh shit, we're the new Arsenal.

Nicktendo86

The lack of links/denials is worrying of course but let's not lose our heads until the end of Monday.

THEN, Woodward has our permission to die.

Top Bottom