• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT5| Place for normal, legit banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

Mostly fake figures.

Messi's shirt sales wouldn't be enough to cover his salary.

Shirt deals and shirt sales aren't the same thing. Adidas is paying for exposure and prestige, not to sell Man Utd shirts. And besides they get the better end of the deal than the clubs do in sales since they control manufacturing and everything.

FootballFan

I'm not sure about that. The clubs themselves seemed to believe this. At least Real Madrid said as much when they bought Ronaldo.

Real Madrid would be the last club I'd trust in regards to revenue information.

If what they said is true every club would be spending around €100-200 million on star players, with no worry since it would all come back in shirt sales.

Shirt deals and shirt sales aren't the same thing. Adidas is paying for exposure and prestige, not to sell Man Utd shirts. And besides they get the better end of the deal than the clubs do in sales since they control manufacturing and everything.

Exactly. Which is why that Madrid statement makes no sense.

valeo

I always go physical copy. Gamestop always runs a promo for sports games where you can get a couple extra bucks if you trade the current game in for the upcoming one. End up saving like $25 towards the new game.

Physical for me because I live in Australia and a digital copy costs $100...

And they wonder why piracy is so rampant here.

Ashes

Banned
Real Madrid would be the last club I'd trust in regards to revenue information.

Ha ha. I'll concede this first point.

If what they said is true every club would be spending around €100-200 million on star players, with no worry since it would all come back in shirt sales.

I think you're inflating how many star players there actually are. Stars with that pull power at least.

FootballFan

Ha ha. I'll concede this last point.

I think you're inflating how many star players there actually are. Not with that pull power certainly.

Yeah that's true. Mainly talking ronaldo, Neymar, messi, Rooney, Bale, Munir, etc.

Edit
Forgot James Rodriguez............

Lol

Remember that one kid who bought a Januzaj 44 shirt, but then Januzaj changed his number and United didn't want to exchange his shirt? No? Probably not. I just posted the photo without knowing who that kid was, but I now know.

927171_790083944377668_1105128410_n.jpg

incredible

/FootballFan

He needs to perform this season or he's dead to me

Thing is, I won't be surprised if Real Madrid are trying to make themselves into a football... conglomerate of some kind.

Buying star players and banking on them to help turn a profit license, tshirt and branding-wise etc. Do I think it's a bad idea? Yes.

Do I really think that Real Madrid is actually pushing for it? Yes.

Tubie

Except they do.

1. £750m is nothing to be balked at.

2. Shirts are like any other product. Celebrity endorsed products sell more.

3. & you can bet your bottom dollor that Football is a tribal thing.

Madrid, ManU and Barca all have quite the considerable outstanding debt. If shirt sales were all that then Madrid would have an incredible surplus of cash! but instead we're 400m+ in debt, Man U and Barca are both 300m+ in debt too.

There's a theory that's been floating around for a few years, where Florentino is trying to bankrupt Madrid so he and his partners can then buy it back. It's the only way anyone could ever own Real Madrid, since right now it can only be owned by the fans by law.

FootballFan

Remember that one kid who bought a Januzaj 44 shirt, but then Januzaj changed his number and United didn't want to exchange his shirt? No? Probably not. I just posted the photo without knowing who that kid was, but I now know.

incredible

/FootballFan

What does this mean "/FootballFan"

explain or we are no longer footballgaf friends.

Ashes

Banned
There's a theory that's been floating around for a few years, where Florentino is trying to bankrupt Madrid so he and his partners can then buy it back. It's the only way anyone could ever own Real Madrid, since right now it can only be owned by the fans by law.

Never heard this before. Interesting...

GorillaJu

I have another theory. Real Madrid fans are making up silly theories to dodge the reality that their galactico philosophy won't always produce a good team, and that building a team is about more tha just buying the trendiest names for each individual position.

Tubie

Yep.

La Decima was incredible for Florentino, it gave him the cred he needs.

This is what I think will happen:

-Madrid has a bad season only comparable to 2003-2004 (we finished 4th and Valencia won the league).

-We're terrible all season long.

-Players turn on each other so there's chaos.

-Florentino Resigns.

-A new president is elected by the fans.

-The financials of the club are dire.

-Two years pass (people forget how terrible Florentino was).

-Madrid goes into bankruptcy.

-Florentino comes up as the #1 bidder.

-The banks and the fans are happy about it.

-Florentino fully owns Real Madrid.

Tubie

I have another theory. Real Madrid fans are making up silly theories to dodge the reality that their galactico philosophy won't always produce a good team, and that building a team is about more tha just buying the trendiest names for each individual position.

It's been reported on mayor Spanish media, not just the football newspapers.

Florentino's economics never made sense.

This year we had record incomes (605m), but less profits than last year (25m vs ~50m), and we won the CL so there was extra cash coming in.

Florentino wants to own Real Madrid, this isn't some crazy theory.

Blablurn

It's been reported on mayor Spanish media, not just the football newspapers.

Florentino's economics never made sense.

This year we had record incomes (605m), but less profits than last year (25m vs ~50m), and we won the CL so there was extra cash coming in.

Florentino wants to own Real Madrid, this isn't some crazy theory.

Just come to Bayern, Tubie.

5ZTqCe6.png

There's this u19 Vietnamese player named Nguyen Cong Phuong and he's apparently part of Arsenal's Vietnamese academy. He has great close control that allows him to dribble really well. I saw a couple of highlights in the u19 Asian championships and he caught my eye every time.

I wonder if he'll eventually go to London.

Tubie

Just come to Bayern, Tubie.

5ZTqCe6.png

Don't do this to me Bla.

I'm not gonna lie, I watched him yesterday.

Alonso will still be the best CDM in the world for 1-3 more years.

I can't believe we're trying to replace him with Kroos, they don't even play in the same position ffs...

If anything I'll just cheer Getafe on this season (which also looks dire as fuck).

Meier

Even if Madrid and United sold €100m worth of shirts per year, at most they'd be getting something like €20m of that on the high end (and it's probably even lower than that). You can buy a Danny Welbeck per year or pay 1-2 players' salaries. Shirt sales a nice revenue stream but they pale in comparison to many others especially for the top clubs.

The big teams sell essentially the same number of shirts every year regardless of who they sign. It just means a fan buys Y player instead of X for that season.

Blablurn

Don't do this to me Bla.

I'm not gonna lie, I watched him yesterday.

Alonso will still be the best CDM in the world for 1-3 more years.

I can't believe we're trying to replace him with Kroos, they don't even play in the same position ffs...

If anything I'll just cheer Getafe on this season (which also looks dire as fuck).

Bayern played bad yesterday. And Alonso was the only reason why we didn't lose control over this game. After the game Pep said: "We need to help Xabi. Otherwise he's dead." Saying that he can't do THAT much in every game.

Can't wait for Thiago to be back. Xabi and Thiago HNG.

Nice article from the BBC about FC United. 10 years old next year and just completing a new 5000 seater stadium.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29178538

Didn't know they operate a "pay what you can afford" scheme for season tickets with a minimum price of £100 and a requested donation of £60.

Geez has it really been ten years. Must be gutting for their fans losing in the playoffs 4 years in a row, they were 1 point behind the league winners last season too, yuck.

DBT85

Didn't United say the other day that they sold 2m official shirts last year?

At the Utd store price (£55) with no printing that's £110m. Obviously lots of people pay an extra £15 for printing and then you get the full kit wankers who buy even more crap.

But that also needs to be split between various parties, and the guy who makes each shirt gets 5p.

Tubie

Didn't United say the other day that they sold 2m official shirts last year?

At the Utd store price (£55) with no printing that's £110m. Obviously lots of people pay an extra £15 for printing and then you get the full kit wankers who buy even more crap.

But that also needs to be split between various parties, and the guy who makes each shirt gets 5p.

Shirt makers (Adidas, Nike) make most of the money from those sales.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
*Last night*

[WhatsApp message] Mrs Yurt: coming nwwwww hahahaAHA
[Whatsapp message] Yurt: are you drinking at work again?

*15 mins later I hear someone knocking on my door*

*opens door*

Some girl with cornrows wearing a hiphop cap two sizes too big

Me: Wrong house *closes door*

[RUSSIAN EXPLICITS]

*opens door again* Are you crazy ;_; what the fuck you cunt ;_;

Her: FUCK. YOU. Its SWAG

I hope it's just a phase. Either way, I'm getting cornrows tomorrow, it looks funny.

Salazar

Either way, I'm getting cornrows tomorrow, it looks funny.

Get some Pogba stripes.

Beard is getting bushy again. Was a dark, miserable day when I had to shave that motherfucker off. I felt like a twig on the Moyes family tree. I felt low.

Speaking of Moyes, a bit surprised he hasn't snagged a job yet. I mean, it sounds platitudinous - but that guy really loves managing football clubs. Granted, Woodward punted him very very very hard in the balls, but I would have thought he'd be back in the game.

A PL opening or two probably isn't far off, though.

FeD.nL

Xupns3R.png

We played incredibly sheit today but this guy finally did what we got him for. And the competition is losing left and right. All is good in the world.

And now watch de Boer play Sigthorsson against PSG. Damn those last ten minutes were horrible last night, whats even worse is that Cillessen had to stall for extra time against fucking Heracles.

Zabojnik

What I'd like to see against Malmo:

------------------ Buffon ------------------
-----------------------------------------------
----- Licht Bonucci Chiellini Evra ----
---------Pogba Marchisio Asa ---------
------------ Tevez Coman ---------------
---------------- Llorente ------------------

What I'll get:

------------------------------ Buffon -----------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------- Caceres - Bonucci - Chiellini --------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Lichtsteiner - Pereyra - Marchisio - Pogba - Asamoah --
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------- Tevez - Llorente -----------------------------

Allegri channeling his inner Conte again. :(

*Last night*

[WhatsApp message] Mrs Yurt: coming nwwwww hahahaAHA
[Whatsapp message] Yurt: are you drinking at work again?

*15 mins later I hear someone knocking on my door*

*opens door*

Some girl with cornrows wearing a hiphop cap two sizes too big

Me: Wrong house *closes door*

[RUSSIAN EXPLICITS]

*opens door again* Are you crazy ;_; what the fuck you cunt ;_;

Her: FUCK. YOU. Its SWAG

I hope it's just a phase. Either way, I'm getting cornrows tomorrow, it looks funny.

Pics or it never happened

Tubie

What I'd like to see against Malmo:

------------------ Buffon ------------------
----- Licht Bonucci Chiellini Evra ----
---------Pogba Marchisio Asa ---------
------------ Tevez Coman ---------------
---------------- Llorente ------------------

What I'll get:

------------------------------ Buffon -----------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------- Caceres - Bonucci - Chiellini --------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Lichtsteiner - Pereyra - Marchisio - Pogba - Asamoah --
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------- Tevez - Llorente -----------------------------

Allegri channeling his inner Conte again. :(

I don't see Moratta in either scenario.

You suck.

valeo

Ozil over Cesc is looking like a tragic decision. He then plays him on the wing.

What's the point of it anymore

I'm normally a strangely positive Arsenal supporter but agree with this. i still think Cesc would've fit back in perfectly.

On the plus side; I thought Wilshere was a boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom