• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT5| Place for normal, legit banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubie

Hahahaha

I just checked the front page of Marca English and it's like every single article is about Casillas or some Ancelotti/Madrid hand wringing. Hilarious.

http://www.marca.com/en/

Full blown Pro-Casillas campaign in every Madrid based newspaper.

Iker is here to stay, the season is over for Madrid.

Fuck Florentino.

At least Hames is not playing in the middle of the park?

Kroos ---- Modric
-------Illara

Would be a fine midfield 3.

Swap Illara with Khedira and it's even better.

sLYzmaC.png

So he knows.

How much would Petit cost in today's game btw? He's the type of DM everyone wants but no-one can find. An elegant yet cuntish tank, who's defensively strong and has an amazing passing range. Scores in World Cup finals too. Legend.

I was doing PvP with a GAF group earlier and we were destroying everyone. Started feeling sorry for them. It was fun though.

I need a couple of people to do the weekly heroic strike with at some point. Diablo and I tried to do it the other day, but it was nearly impossible with just the two of us.

What Level is it? If it's 20 I can help

moojito

Are there any better games on than Hull v West ham?

I'm open to changing sports.

Maybe some kind of Shinty el classico I'm missing out on?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm pleased Kaboul is the new Spurs captain, I knew those stories about it being Vertonghen were rubbish. He's not cut out for it. Ade and Lloris have more balls than him and are rightly vice captains.

Does anyone here speak Ukrainian that can also tell me if it is a hard language to learn?

The commentators keep getting so excited and I want to know what's so funny.

Hull deserve to win this btw.

Fuck Ronaldo. Are we just going to give Angel's shirt to Ronaldo?

He won't come and he'll stay at Madrid for a couple of more years. GTIYFH

He is infamously inconsistent but I'm sceptical on whether his dip in form as of late is due to him or his positioning. What's undeniable is that Arsene Wenger has consistently used central attacking midfielders through the entire midfield. The lack of real width has always been by design. But what's also true is that this hasn't always worked.

• Hleb
  • Rosicky
  • Nasri
  • Arshavin
Consistently, these players demonstrated better performances whilst playing central just behind the striker. That's where they spent most of their career before signing for Arsenal, so it made sense. However, they were played on the far side of midfield whilst having the 'freedom' to cut inside.

What we're seeing with Ozil, and Arshavin before him, is a failure to adequately adapt to their new position out wide. It's a decision designed to accommodate Wilshere/Ramsey and Arteta at the heart of midfield. We have no one to replace Arteta, nor anyone to make the runs that Ramsey provides. Wenger's thinking is that the world-class talent that surrounds them should be enough to see them all contribute whilst not being at their peak individually.

It may have worked for some in the past but it clearly is not with Mesut Ozil. The dilemma for Wenger is what his best team would then be were Ozil to play centrally. He's already shown he is willing to snub players like Fabregas in order not to make huge changes. But for me, we have too many midfielders who like to play in the same position.

Ramsey/Ozil/Cazorla/Rosicky/Chamberlain seem to rotate and I don't think it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom