• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT6| Daley Blind Is a Hack Of a Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1LLER7

Last post pls.

@Clegg

Serious?

I think he'll make it one day. Comfortable on the ball, needs more experience playing in the PL and the 1st team. Would've been ideal to play him alongside an experienced CB like Vidic :(

Btw how far have you gotten with B'Empire?

Clegg

Serious?

I think he'll make it one day. Comfortable on the ball, needs more experience playing in the PL and the 1st team. Would've been ideal to play him alongside an experienced CB like Vidic :(

Btw how far have you gotten with B'Empire?
I don't think there's anything concrete on Blackett yet. Just talking about the dearth of left sided centre backs and saying that Blackett is being monitored. He's not ready for England duty. Build him up at U 21 level first.

Working my way slowly through BE. Just finished the third episode. It's good so far but maybe a bit slow. If Uni work wasn't getting in the way I'd be much further along with the show.

Slizz

ignCPPHQU76Bj.gif

jtb

Banned
Wenger should always play the kids in the league cup. Maybe a fringe first team player or two, to keep them sharp. his recent selection strategies in the cup have been bizarre, desperate, and completely ineffective anyways

K1LLER7

I don't think there's anything concrete on Blackett yet. Just talking about the dearth of left sided centre backs and saying that Blackett is being monitored. He's not ready for England duty. Build him up at U 21 level first.

Working my way slowly through BE. Just finished the third episode. It's good so far but maybe a bit slow. If Uni work wasn't getting in the way I'd be much further along with the show.
Yeah, that'll be better for him. Still too early for the 1st teams although he has looked good at times.

I'm on Ep 11. I've just smashed through it lol. Stick at it as it picks up towards the middle of the season.

Lightning

Banned
Wenger should always play the kids in the league cup. Maybe a fringe first team player or two, to keep them sharp. his recent selection strategies in the cup have been bizarre, desperate, and completely ineffective anyways
Joke cup. Don't care about it, will just be good to piss on Southampton anyway though.

Slizz

Gotham was very middle of the road. I have no idea how to feel about the show other than it got better at the last 10-15 minutes of the episode......

The setup seems decent.

Scum

Thx m8s.

Listening was 8, Reading was 8, Writing was 7.5, Speaking was 8.

How can they say I no right good?

lol

Gotham was very middle of the road. I have no idea how to feel about the show other than it got better at the last 10-15 minutes of the episode......

The setup seems decent.

Following the thread when this was announced seemed like they ruined a good premise for a Batman/Gotham TV series.

Slizz

lol

Following the thread when this was announced seemed like they ruined a good premise for a Batman/Gotham TV series.

Saw somewhere in the thread that the show is it's own separate arc, taking bits and pieces from a bunch of the different Batman origin stories.

It's the first ep, I like the actor that plays Bullock and Penguin, both seem like main characters and baby Batman isn't as terrible as I thought he'd be.

jesalr

I went to bed at 1.30 and was periodically woken by a huge fucking mosquito. Finally killed the fucker. 6 bites the size of tennis balls, and a massive blood smear on my ceiling, but that bastard is finally dead.

Lightning

Banned
Winning breeds winning, I want to see us go for it.
We have the offensive players to really go for it but defensively a bit weak. That's where my concern is, where we will probably need to play a few youngsters. Bellerin and Hayden are very promising though so hopefully they can make the most of their opportunities.

valeo

Now we've won the FA cup, I doubt we'll see more than 2 first teamers.

Expect to see Diaby, Rosicky and Podolski start along with guys like Hayden, Bellerin and Ajayi.

Please explain how his selections have been bizarre, considering our trophy drought before the FA Cup win?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Marchisio > Pirlo + Vidal + Pogba + Asamoah + Coman + Verratti

the ultimate human bean
Marchisio masterclass

After Juventus’ convincing win over Milan, Luca Persico looks at the emergence of Claudio Marchisio as an alternative to Andrea Pirlo.

Looking in from a distance, you could be forgiven for questioning what has changed at Juventus this season.

The Old Lady may have swapped Antonio Conte for Massimiliano Allegri, but still line up in their almost symbolic 3-5-2 and retain the same ruthlessness and sheer desire to win that has been drilled into them over the last three years.

With the new Serie A season just three games old, Juventus have already affirmed their place as the League’s benchmark, alongside Roma.

Wins against Chievo and Udinese eased the early pressure on Allegri, while Saturday’s 1-0 defeat of Milan highlighted Juventus’ strength and showed there to be a significant gap between them and a side who had been built up as Scudetto outsiders before the contest.

Such a run of results had become the norm under Conte and it would be understandable to assume Allegri has simply retained his methods and succeeded with continuity. To surmise the Livorno native’s work in such a way would, however, be unfair. Allegri has admittedly retained Conte’s blueprint, but has made notable tweaks that are giving Juventus a new outlook.

The desire to free up Carlos Tevez is the most notable alteration, but the reinvention of Claudio Marchisio is perhaps more intriguing. With Andrea Pirlo out injured for the opening weeks of season, Allegri has turned to the 28-year-old to fill in.

Marchisio had always been a more offensive midfielder for Juventus - usually from the left, but has embraced this new role, with his energy, positional sense and smart use of the ball has made the midfield more fluid. With Pirlo in the side, the build up would always go through him and he would play the decisive passes. Now, with Allegri preferring a more patient approach, Marchisio’s less ambitious, but neat passing has proven to be an excellent fit.

This season, he is averaging 99.3 passes at an accuracy of 89.9 per cent per game in Serie A, compared to just 37.2 [with 86.7 percent accuracy] last term. Those stats look even more impressive when put alongside Pirlo’s output of 69 passes per game at an 88.5 per cent accuracy last season.

Admittedly, Marchisio’s stats are drawn from a much smaller pool and are a reflection of Allegri’s desire for greater possession, but do suggest that he can be a worthy alternative to Pirlo. Perhaps, the most notable advantage of having Marchisio deep is reflected in his defensive output. This season, he has made 2.7 tackles per game - only Arturo Vidal’s made more.

One of the downsides of having Pirlo as a deep playmaker is his lack of defensive work and need for cover. With Marchisio, that isn't necessary and allows the two central midfielders alongside him to push higher, as Roberto Pereyra and Paul Pogba did to good effect against Milan. Marchisio's recovery rate also means he can support the attack, as he did to score in the win over Udinese and when he hit the post at San Siro.

Having Marchisio, a player who had an uncertain future 12 months ago and an uneventful 2013-14 season, coming to the fore gives Allegri another option, but also a potential dilemma.

With Pirlo set to return in the coming weeks, there is no guarantee that he will go straight into the side. Allegri, let’s not forget, felt Pirlo was unsuitable to the role at Milan and though he has since been proven wrong, Marchisio may be a better fit for his system, particularly in Europe where Juventus need to be more dynamic.

Whether Marchisio can displace Pirlo is unclear, but to have a worthy alternative to the great man is a nice headache for Allegri.

Blablurn

i honestly don't mind OT stuff in the football thread. We talk enough football when there are matches being played or pertinent news about footballing stuff going down.

The football thread is a little community of it's own and a load of us have either been posting or lurking here for years. You could forgive some OT when it's a dry spell regarding footballing matters. I'm not a big fan of people who police for the police, but whatever the mods feel about the state of things is what we'll have to accept. No hard feelings or bile, that's the way things go. I think the thread would be poorer if we were forbidden from a bit of OT chatter that solidifies the bonds of friendships between us randoms on the internet.

The shit-talking and personal attacks, plus the occasional cliquey attack dog nonsense needs to fuck right off though.

Yep. Why change something that worked for years? Im kinda shocked that this dude was serious about it.

bjaelke

Who and what are you guys talking about

I didn't get the memo
Last page
I've been talking to Wes through pms about how off topic lots of posts here are in recent months. Frankly, it makes it hard to follow football related posts here, and this is a football thread after all. The purpose here is to keep the discussion mainly about football.

Don't misunderstand me. I understand that every single post can't be about football and that's fine but it's going too far. I'm considering reporting some people here if it goes on. Just thought I'd give you a warning.

DAILY FAIL

Buddhist monks had a role to play in Leicester's dramatic comeback win over Manchester United after blessing the squad before the match at the weekend.

We never stood a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom