• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT7| daily blind is a renegade of funk

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Diego Costa and Aguero can make a joke of the EPL, but suddenly anything south of the EPL is shit? Do you really think Ronaldo or Messi would not break EPL records? lol...

The PL has no great defenders, I think they would break most goalscoring records in the PL too.

Yep. In the latest Pep book there is a chapter where the author talks about a meeting between Pep and Boateng. Boa told him that no one ever taught him how to defend. Everything he did was pure intuition or something like that lol. And Boateng is playing since many, many years now.

It needed Pep to finally learn something about that position.

And if all that applies to Boateng, you can be sure that many other defenders suffer from the same mistakes aka. they are no true defenders. They just stand there and try to keep the ball away from the goal.

The more I hear about Pep the more I respect him.

scently

You guys are not giving Ronaldo the credit he deserves. Being an athlete is just a part of what he brings to the table. He is a fantastically skillful player and a wonderful winger. He has had to modify his game because he doesn't needto be a winger or display his dribbling ability anymore. He is in a team where he doesn't have to emphasise those ability, instead what is needed of him is his athleticism and for him to play more as an undefined forward role, drifting in from the left mostly.

If you are in doubt over these qualities then please take a look at his time at UTD or more recently, there was a Madrid game earlier this season where he mostly play from the right. Watching that game was like having a flashback to his time at Utd. He played more as an out and out winger, beating several players every time he takes them on, and delivered very accurate and lovely crosses (only for Benzema and Hames to squander them).

So no, being an athlete will only take you so far. To get to where and achieve what Ronaldo has achieved so far, you need to be more than an athlete, you need to be much much more than that.

Like him or not, just don't de-emphasise most of what he is. Give credit where its due.

Arnie

Didn't you see Kompany yesterday?

Regardless, Kompany is one of the best defenders in the world.

If Kompany isn't a top defender then there's very few.

All defenders make mistakes. The likes of Kompany, Cahill, Jagielka, Mertesacker etc are brilliant defenders. They all make mistakes.

The best teams defensively are those that defend best as a team, not specifically because of their central defensive partnership.

FootballFan

You guys are not giving Ronaldo the credit he deserves. Being an athlete is just a part of what he brings to the table. He is a fantastically skillful player and a wonderful winger. He has had to modify his game because he doesn't needto be a winger or display his dribbling ability anymore. He is in a team where he doesn't have to emphasise those ability, instead what is needed of him is his athleticism and for him to play more as an undefined forward role, drifting in from the left mostly.

If you are in doubt over these qualities then please take a look at his time at UTD or more recently, there was a Madrid game earlier this season where he mostly play from the right. Watching that game was like having a flashback to his time at Utd. He played more as an out and out winger, beating several players every time he takes them on, and delivered very accurate and lovely crosses (only for Benzema and Hames to squander them).

So no, being an athlete will only take you so far. To get to where and achieve what Ronaldo has achieved so far, you need to be more than an athlete, you need to be much much more than that.

Like him or not, just don't de-emphasise most of what he is. Give credit where its due.

Meh. Yurt was just saying he trains hard, not saying all he has is athletic ability.

He ain't no magician.

Arnie

You guys are not giving Ronaldo the credit he deserves.
Please do bore off.

I'm pretty sure every single person in this thread will agree that he's either their tip for first or second best player in the world.

So excuse me for yawning when you feel hard done to about your 'ickle, unloved Ronny.
Fuck football

Not excited to watch us play since hearing Sturridge is out for another month...
I know mate.

But, and this is crucial, Brendan's about.

Let's put on our best smile for Brendan.

Dream scenario is Emre Can comes on and plays himself into contention for Madrid.

To be fair, I'd say there are very few top class defenders at the moment regardless of Kompany's status.
I absolutely agree.

Which is why I think Kompany is a 'top' defender. The top is always relative. There are very few better than him.

Walshy

I'd actually play Gerrard further forward today.

Thought he was impressive up there with Balo when he played there against WBA.

Regardless, Kompany is one of the best defenders in the world.

If Kompany isn't a top defender then there's very few.

All defenders make mistakes. The likes of Kompany, Cahill, Jagielka, Mertesacker etc are brilliant defenders. They all make mistakes.

The best teams defensively are those that defend best as a team, not specifically because of their central defensive partnership.

Kompany is excellent by today's standards., but none of them are truly greats. There is a big difference between a world class attacker beating you and making basic mistakes. Most defenders today make basic mistakes that have not been corrected.

Also spot on about your last point. It is why park the bus is so ineffective these days, except for Mourinho teams.

Salvadora

P
I absolutely agree.

Which is why I think Kompany is a 'top' defender. The top is always relative. There are very few better than him.
Definitely.

Relative to others, he's certainly a top defender.

Would argue that he's declined quite a bit from City's first title win though. More than a slight dip in form or a mistake or two, for sure. Although I suppose Pellegrini v Mancini could have something to do with that too.

LTWheels

I have dreams of next season where we have Origi for when Sturridge is injured, Ibe for when Sterling is tired, and Ilori for when our defenders are shit.

That's what I'm clinging to.

I do hope we sell Lucas this summer and bring in another defensive midfielder. Also means we can play Gerrard further forward.

jts

...hate me...
The thing is that Ronaldo looks threatening. Like he could come and take your girl if he wanted to.

You have no business being a world's top footballer and looking overall so perfect.

That's why Messi is more of a people's hero, even though he's all talent and no effort. He looks like an unthreatening dork. But then he puts his football shoes on and beasts away, and that's amazing to watch week after week.

We are privileged, m8s. To live in the same era as these 2 players and Rickie Lambert as well.

spidye

We can be lucky that Di Maria didn't play in the final
kYFVZc5.png

Yep. In the latest Pep book there is a chapter where the author talks about a meeting between Pep and Boateng. Boa told him that no one ever taught him how to defend. Everything he did was pure intuition or something like that lol. And Boateng is playing since many, many years now.

It needed Pep to finally learn something about that position.

And if all that applies to Boateng, you can be sure that many other defenders suffer from the same mistakes aka. they are no true defenders. They just stand there and try to keep the ball away from the goal.

I actually believe this. you can easily see his jump from a defender with potential to the best german defender at the moment

Arnie

One thing that we can't discount as well, and this is the genuine truth, but tactics have changed in the last decade.

In the last few years especially the idea of flooding the fullbacks on who then support three attackers just makes it almost impossible for defenders to do their job consistently without looking stretched or wobbly.

Coaches are far more open to taking risks at the back to help form a coherent attacking unit.

Liverpool can buy as many defenders as they want, they're still a team whose only really defensive contribution from midfield comes in the form of a leggy Steven Gerrard. And our fullbacks play as wingers.

Batongen

Banned
A few people outside loftus road already but I'm prioritising a cemetery instead when the game is on today. That's how dead I think we are.

One thing that we can't discount as well, and this is the genuine truth, but tactics have changed in the last decade.

In the last few years especially the idea of flooding the fullbacks on who then support three attackers just makes it almost impossible for defenders to do their job consistently without looking stretched or wobbly.

Coaches are far more open to taking risks at the back to help form a coherent attacking unit.

Liverpool can buy as many defenders as they want, they're still a team whose only really defensive contribution from midfield comes in the form of a leggy Steven Gerrard. And our fullbacks play as wingers.

Very true, and if you go back twenty years the rules of the game have changed to make it a much faster game that favours attacker. For example, the offside rule and stopping back passes

Clegg

Imagine traveling from Sunderland all the way to Southampton to see that abomination. Club should reimburse the fans.

Blablurn

I actually believe this. you can easily see his jump from a defender with potential to the best german defender at the moment

lol

on the other page i wrote "spidye, i miss you bro"

but it was fuenf who stopped posting, wasnt it? lol

but i always miss you too of course, spidye

#MiaSanMia

GorillaJu

I'd actually play Gerrard further forward today.

Thought he was impressive up there with Balo when he played there against WBA.

Yeah, I agree. Problem is its risky if it doesn't work out, but when Lucas came on, Gerrard put in a lot of really good passes in the final third and a few shots on target. I wouldn't mind seeing him do that again.

Linius

AHUwrXe.jpg

68yqfnn.jpg

I'm probably dc'ing, but I have to admit Aguero got taste when it comes to altering a car. As opposed to a guy like Baloltelli for example.

Who was the last great defender in the EPL anyway? Kompany? Vidic?

Of the ones who are no longer playing in the league anymore:

Vidic
Ricardo Carvalho

I think there are some quality defenders still in the league. Too many to list but Terry and Reid spring to mind. I'm interested to see that Chelsea defender (Kalas?) come back from his loan and take over from JT. He played a blinder against Liverpool last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom