• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT7| daily blind is a renegade of funk

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can teach a defender about positioning, which is the most important thing a defender can be taught.

Yes, but it's also something I'd put under the "varies with tactics" category. That can depend on the coach's approach to be close to the striker or not, defending man vs man or defending zones of the pitch, etc.

Sure, there needs to be a basic understanding of positioning but I wouldn't say Boateng's positioning was ever bad. And I really can't believe nobody every taught him the basic approach. I mean, I played in like one of the worst youth leagues in Germany and we were told that. And like I said, under Heynckes, it was already fine and I just don't see a huge improvement.

L1NETT

Defending isn't all about slide tackling, headers and standing tackles.

You can learn about what exactly to look out for, what runs to track, where to stand in certain situations, what to do with the ball at the back, where to clear the ball etc. A lot of defenders today can't do the basics.

Pep taught Boateng all of that in a matter of weeks.

folk know from just playing xi a side football is biggest part of defending is talking to each other, positioning, working as a 4, knowing when to come out and knowing where your other defenders/ their forwards are

I highly doubt Pep is telling folk where to clear the ball haha :p

but yeah defending is alot more than the 3 FIFA buttons, you are bang on there. Biggest thing for me has always been communication. Am a right gobby shite on the grass, and love playing with gobby centre halfs. Makes everyone a better player

Solid and important victory for us today. Very happy :)

The only thing that sucks is that I´ll be supporting Real Madrid in El clasico next week, ugh. I really don't want to, but is obviously relevant for my interests.

FootballFan

folk know from just playing xi a side football is biggest part of defending is talking to each other, positioning, working as a 4, knowing when to come out and knowing where your other defenders/ their forwards are

but yeah defending is alot more than the 3 FIFA buttons, you are bang on there. Biggest thing for me has always been communication. Am a right gobby shite on the grass, and love playing with gobby centre halfs. Makes everyone a better player

Nothing worse than a quiet game lol.

Enrique is the one I worry about in that lineup. Will be interesting to see if Johnson attacks at all. He didn't against West Brom, and was pretty much faultless tbf to him

Thats from the book
That's so fucking strange :lol

Boateng didn't know you can arrange a backline? Like, all the time he didn't communicate with his team mates in defense? How is that even possible? Boateng played with players like Nigel de Jong, Kompany, van Buyten, etc. you can't tell me nobody ever yelled at him to move right/left/whatever.

Sorry, that still sounds like a load of bullshit to me. There must be something being lost in translation. Maybe Pep taught Boateng about being the boss/key player in defense and arranging the back line by himself? That would make sense and is something I could believe.

Pep taught Boateng all of that in a matter of weeks.

lol m8

Wilbur

Banned

From the Arsenal article I posted yesterday:

The previous record had been set 26 years earlier by a Nottingham Forest side that went 42 successive matches unbeaten and, like Arsenal, attracted great acclaim for their style of football. Yet Brian Clough’s great team did feature two players, Larry Lloyd and Kenny Burns, who formed the ugliest, meanest central defensive partnership of their time and, in the days of disciplinary points, strategically used to plan their assaults on rival centre-forwards depending on who was closest to a suspension.

Lloyd broke his foot in the middle of the 1977-78 season and Clough immediately signed David Needham from QPR to replace him. Needham played impeccably for six weeks until Lloyd was fit again. Clough put him straight back in and Lloyd remembers it as one of the great compliments of his career. “He turned to Needham first: ‘David, you’re probably wondering why I’ve left you out. You’ve done ever so well since I bought you. David, I really can’t fault you. You’re a lovely boy. If my daughter were looking to bring a man home to marry, you’d be that man. You’re that nice, David, I’d have you as my son-in-law’. Then he pointed at me. ‘I hate that fucking bastard over there. And that’s why you’re not in the team. You’re not a bastard like Larry Lloyd. And, son, I want a bastard in my defence.’”

Blablurn

tumblr_ndosauBshQ1sr12a0o3_500.jpg

Why is Javi signing his face? lol

tumblr_ndorzwRdDv1qgmhjro1_500.jpg

tumblr_ndorzwRdDv1qgmhjro7_500.jpg

;_;

Watched Cowboy Bebop recently and thought it's decent. Didn't like the (lack of) story.

Couldn't get into Evangelion.

Hajime No Ippo is great. Dat Dempsey Roll lol.

Monster looks good, I need to watch it sometime.

Claymore is good too. It's a shame they stopped following the manga material towards the end.

I almost never watch anime but I occasionally feel like using something to improve my Japanese so I watched something called "Cross Anju" and it was ridiculous. Almost every character is a girl, there's lots of almost-rape, cute dough-eyed girls getting torn apart into bloody fountains. It's keeping me entertained for the worst possible reasons

Actual good animes Ive seen

Cowboy Bebop
Monster
Hajime no Ippo
Evangelion
GOAT

Yes, but it's also something I'd put under the "varies with tactics" category. That can depend on the coach's approach to be close to the striker or not, defending man vs man or defending zones of the pitch, etc.

Sure, there needs to be a basic understanding of positioning but I wouldn't say Boateng's positioning was ever bad. And I really can't believe nobody every taught him the basic approach. I mean, I played in like one of the worst youth leagues in Germany and we were told that. And like I said, under Heynckes, it was already fine and I just don't see a huge improvement.

Positioning can depend on tactics, but once you learn the fundamentals you can play in many systems. Good defenders know where they should be every moment of the game. It was why someone like Nesta who had a bad back for years was always able to play at such a high level. He knew where he was meant to be and didn't even need to tackle, because he had strikers in his pocket.

bud

Is this some sort of ridiculous Pep idolization or am I just missing something?

Nobody every taught Boateng how to defend... okay. Like what? How to tackle? That's something you learn by trying. There's not much you can teach someone and in the end, it really comes down to intuition. That's why some defenders look rather bad after a longer break (see Hummels for example). And everything else is basically tactics related and can differ from another coach's approach. For example, high line vs. deep line, when to push forward, etc.

So did the author explain this further or was it just some random wanking over Pep's defending being the true and only way to defend? Because my impression is that Boateng's problem was that he did too many mistakes and thus maybe lacked a bit of confidence in his play. He cut that back under Heynckes already and obviously developed a bit more in the last year. I don't really see Pep being a big deal in this.

you don't actually believe this.

Positioning can depend on tactics, but once you learn the fundamentals you can play in many systems. Good defenders know where they should be every moment of the game. It was why someone like Nesta who had a bad back for years was always able to play at such a high level. He knew where he was meant to be and didn't even need to tackle, because he had strikers in his pocket.

Sure, that's all true. But we've missed the point :D

Like I posted above, the excerpt bla posted says that Boateng didn't know that you could arrange a backline. Which is fucking absurd.

Arnie

After the break...

"The astonishing rise of Jordan Henderson"

Fucking hell I need a sock or a tissue or if I'm nathan some fucking receipts

From the Arsenal article I posted yesterday:

Haha, I read that before and it always makes me laugh. It is why i said earlier that Messi and Ronaldo wouldn't have scored as many goals 30 years ago. The game was a lot rougher and favoured defenders, and both would have been punished by the defenders at the time.

Oh shit Radu, defending old school for Lazio there. Lucky it wasnt a red

Get him back

Haven't watched the prematch for a league game since Villa at home I think. Can't be arsed to watch them point ut how shit we've been so far every game.

Still only had one truly good performance this season imo. Were decent against Everton and West Brom, poor in every other match regardless of result. Would be nice if Balotelli and Rodgers spent the last 2 weeks doing some serious one-to-one work on how to make him fit the team and vice versa

Sure, that's all true. But we've missed the point :D

Like I posted above, the excerpt bla posted says that Boateng didn't know that you could arrange a backline. Which is fucking absurd.

I don't know enough about Boateng's previous history to know if it is true or not.

As an Arsenal fan, I fully believe that some teams don't coach defensively, or it is a huge afterthought. Lee Dixon famously said Wenger just let them get on with it.

Get him back

Haven't watched the prematch for a league game since Villa at home I think. Can't be arsed to watch them point ut how shit we've been so far every game.

Still only had one truly good performance this season imo. Were decent against Everton and West Brom, poor in every other match regardless of result. Would be nice if Balotelli and Rodgers spent the last 2 weeks doing some serious one-to-one work on how to make him fit the team and vice versa

Sorry Hitcher, I really think Balo is a lost cause.

Too rich, too egoistic to fucking care to be World Class.

Boateng is as stupid as I imagined him to be, holy shit. Suits the club and the team.

It's fucking crazy, isn't it?

"I didn't know I could communicate with my team mates"

Still blows my mind

It's simply can't be true.

you don't actually believe this.

What? That a 25-year-old player who has played defender for most of his career (don't know about his youth years) should know how to do a basic tackle and the rest comes down to his skills like anticipation, vision, etc.?

Of course I do, anything else would be ridiculous.

Blablurn

I never rated him at Man City, he has come along way from then. Not sure how much work Mancini would have done defensively, given his attacking background.

Never saw him play at Hamburg

Boateng was never world class. Until Pep took care of him. Even under Heynckes he was always good for a mistake or two.

Wilbur

Banned
Haha, I read that before and it always makes me laugh. It is why i said earlier that Messi and Ronaldo wouldn't have scored as many goals 30 years ago. The game was a lot rougher and favoured defenders, and both would have been punished by the defenders at the time.

Oh shit Radu, defending old school for Lazio there. Lucky it wasnt a red

See, you say that, but then you have a bunch of great records.

Jimmy Greaves scored 44 in 57 for England.

Gerd Muller had 68 in 62 for Germany and 487 in 555 for clubs.

Pele had a league goalscoring record of 1152 in 1220 games for Santos and New York Cosmos combined, as well as notching 77 goals in 92 appearances for Brazil.

Ferenc Puskas scored 84 goals in 85 appearances for Hungary, coupled with 509 goals in 523 league appearances.

Eusebio had 41 goals in 64 international appearances for Portugal, and 319 goals in 313 appearances for Benfica.

Van Basten scored 218 goals in 280 league appearances.

In his 198 league games for FC Porto, Galatasaray and Sporting, Mario Jardel notched 205 goals.

Some people score goals.

It's fucking crazy, isn't it?

"I didn't know I could communicate with my team mates"

Still blows my mind

It's simply can't be true.

What? That a 25-year-old player who has played defender for most of his career (don't know about his youth years) should know how to do a basic tackle and the rest comes down to his skills like anticipation, vision, etc.?

Of course I do, anything else would be ridiculous.

They're footballers. Some of them might have crazy god-given talent but shit in other matters. Fuck, I remember this quote about Messi:

He’s a genius so you’re on to a loser asking him how he does something. He doesn’t know, he just does it. There are also few clues to his personality in the dressing room, though team-mate Gerard Pique, in an interview in El Pais earlier this year, shed some light.
'Today I changed the battery in his mobile phone and he didn’t even notice. He was wandering around the dressing room asking for a phone charger, saying: "I’ve only just charged it and it’s already flat again",' Pique said.

Savants, some of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom