• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT7| daily blind is a renegade of funk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

I think Bundesliga has benefited much more from Bayern going massive than it did when Bayern was average a few years ago.

The problem of Bundesliga is how poor it was marketed (is that even a word?) outside of Germany. They finally managed to get a global TV deal last season, and obviously for peanuts compared to EPL or La Liga. The league being in german language also is a huge barrier, not to mention he huge and progressive lack of foreign players because Germany actually produces their own talent.

Thanks to the UCL and Guardiola, the league has gone much more global. Now pretty much everyone knows Bayern and Dortmund everywhere. That's huge for the league, having an average Bayern would only make the Bundesliga weaker worldwide.

Bayern gets less TV money than Cardiff City did for last season

You're right.

Nobody cared about the Bundesliga in the 00s. But then the rise of Bayern happened <3

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Obviously he's in the middle. And... which Ronaldo?
Coach Ancelotti. He knows. Best in the world, easily.
:lol Cristina shouldn't be in any GOAT lists

Real Ronaldo, of course. And obviously Carlo will play him wide for Ibra's sake.

Jack cw

If the domestic league is competitive doesn't it benefit every team? The more competitive, the more bodies watching, the more sponsors want to get involved. Is it a revenue sharing thing in Bundesliga that makes it not very profitable?
That's the theory but we have other things that comes first. Our league provider is in contract with TV stations and the rules simply doesn't allow clubs to have commercial owners or a single body to have more than 50% of shares to invest heavily into a club. And Germany is basically Bayern. If Bayern decides to promote themselves, only a tiny part of the revenue from the collective promotion would be left for the other clubs. Dortmund and Schalke might be better of doind the same as Bayern but for every other club it's basically ruin. Bundesliga gets a lot of money through the crowd and tickets and and fees from the club members, as well as sponsoring. Bayern for example sold 9% of their stock to Audi, Telekom, Allianz and adidas worth around 450 million EUR and only because of that we were able to pay back the debt of Allianz Arena and keep a positive balance so far. The system in Germany is basically based on brand power. The bigger the brand the more money you get out of sponsoring. The TV money is so little that it only let's you pay all your outgoings.

One might as well say that Bayern's scouting simply is shit and that's why there seems to be no other option than buying Bundesliga players. #UnpopularOpinion

The TV money argument is pretty poor that is for sure.

Bayern had a higher turnover than United did last season.

This notion they can't compete with the other European clubs because they get pennies in TV revenue is misleading. They are filthy rich.

Slizz

I don't think competition alone leads to the commercial success of a league. Perhaps not even at all.

Really what we have are many "one offs". You look at the PL where City and Chelsea are bankrolled by billionaires. United are a financial beast. In Spain Madrid and Barca don't play in a competitive league, but they have the history on their side and have sold it to the world.

Bundesliga just isn't as popular or well branded as the PL. Bayern have outgrown it and the league hasn't come with them. I don't think you can expect them to hang back for the rest.

All of this is why we are tending towards the European Super League.

FWIW - you can't really blame Bayern. They're just looking out for themselves. It's a shame they are taking Dortmund apart the way they are but what are you gonna do. It was going to happen sooner or later. If any of the clubs in England or Spain had the chance to cherry pick form another domestic team they wouldn't think twice.

Crazy shit. If I was the face and money maker for the Bundesliga, I'd be trying at all costs to improve the domestic league. There is no fucking way you are winning multiple CL's in a row or even 3 in 5yrs in this day an age. Having the domestic league more appealing helps. But then again they are looking out solely for themselves, its not their responsibility to make the league more profitable.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The TV money argument is pretty poor that is for sure.

Bayern had a higher turnover than United did last season.

This notion they can't compete with the other European clubs because they get pennies in TV revenue is misleading. They are filthy rich.

please take a look at their shirt sales

who the fuck even cares about Bayern outside Germania Bavaria? RED FLAG

I'm calling Platini.

Crazy shit. If I was the face and money maker for the Bundesliga, I'd be trying at all costs to improve the domestic league. There is no fucking way you are winning multiple CL's in a row or even 3 in 5yrs in this day an age. Having the domestic league more appealing helps. But then again they are looking out solely for themselves, its not their responsibility to make the league more profitable.

Even if they wanted to - what could they really do?

Just not buy Dortmund's players? Maybe...but those players would likely still go elsewhere. I mean, I can't say for sure but in the case of Lewandowski...do we really think he was either going to Bayern or going nowhere? Kagawa for instance left as possibly their best player to come to United. Sahin went to Madrid.

These players are leaving Dortmund for money. That is the main factor IMO (aswell as the draw of the historic clubs..but money talks at the end of the day). Of course when they make that decision a club like Bayern will always be in the picture and be an option.

The real problem for the Bundesliga, and I'm speaking from a position of not too much knowledge about it, is that their just aren't enough strong clubs within the league structurally or historically. In England for instance, even discounting the oil clubs, United/Liv/Arsenal have the potential to be clubs that can compete and fend one another off. That type of environment just doesn't seem to exist there.

What they need is a Sheikh.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
About to eat tortellini with a fuckload of grana on top. Just wanted to let Yurt know. I regret nothing.

you're too young to die Zazo

Zazao: "I saw Marotta & Paratici in the locker room- they complimented me & I promised them I'd score against other teams..."

Zazo: "Do I already feel like a Bianconero? It would be a dream, Juventus is the best club that I could play for"

Cristiano Ronaldo is a better player than Brazilian Ronaldo.

jokes

Blablurn

Just not buy Dortmund's players? Maybe...but those players would likely still go elsewhere. I mean, I can't say for sure but in the case of Lewandowski...do we really think he was either going to Bayern or going nowhere? Kagawa for instance left as possibly their best player to come to United. Sahin went to Madrid.

These players are leaving Dortmund for money. That is the main factor IMO (aswell as the draw of the historic clubs..but money talks at the end of the day). Of course when they make that decision a club like Bayern will always be in the picture and be an option.

The real problem for the Bundesliga, and I'm speaking from a position of not too much knowledge about it, is that their just aren't enough strong clubs within the league structurally or historically. In England for instance, even discounting the oil clubs, United/Liv/Arsenal have the potential to be clubs that can compete and fend one another off. That type of environment just doesn't seem to exist there.

The Bundesliga hat great clubs in the 70s and 80s. Gladbach, Hamburg for example. But there was sooooo much missmanagement. Hamburg should be one of Europes top clubs with its infrastructure. Yet they are about to get relegated.

It's crazy.

Sheikhs are forbidden btw

Jack cw

This is a great post actually and it nails the problem. Bundesliga has a marketing problem and sooner or later DFL will realize that a Bayern monopoly will hurt the league and ditch the 50+1 rule so that investors could join. Our very conservative approach stopped our clubs from being in huge dept or broken but 16 out of our 18 clubs simply can't compete with most of EPL and La Liga.

Rikkun

I think Bundesliga has benefited much more from Bayern going massive than it did when Bayern was average a few years ago.

The problem of Bundesliga is how poor it was marketed (is that even a word?) outside of Germany. They finally managed to get a global TV deal last season, and obviously for peanuts compared to EPL or La Liga. The league being in german language also is a huge barrier, not to mention the huge and progressive lack of foreign players because Germany actually produces their own talent.

Thanks to the UCL and Guardiola, the league has gone much more global. Now pretty much everyone knows Bayern and Dortmund everywhere. That's huge for the league, having an average Bayern would only make the Bundesliga weaker worldwide.

Bayern gets less TV money than Cardiff City did for last season

Bayern and BVB being famous worldwide just means I'll watch 2 matches per year.
It's the same as La Liga, will you watch Real Madrid Elche? Chances are you'll tune in for RM vs AM vs Barca, MAYBE Sevilla.
Premier League has a shitton of interesting matches.
Serie A's only interesting match is Roma Juventus, and just for the following fallout.
Why is Amir0x posting in this thread?

Been wondering for two weeks.

Gutted by the Bale news, didn't even know he was injured. Bale had always performed well against Barca. Thankfully Isco is in good for, let's see what he brings :)

In other news, Ronaldo keeps breaking records - first player to score 15 goals in the first eight games of La Liga. Also worth mentioning that he only played in 7 of those 8 (missed the Sociedad match) games.

This isn't even a debate anymore.

Wilbur

Banned

Zazao: "I saw Marotta & Paratici in the locker room- they complimented me & I promised them I'd score against other teams..."

Zazo: "Do I already feel like a Bianconero? It would be a dream, Juventus is the best club that I could play for"

jokes

Absolutely true.

Scum

SgYahwF.png

I thought Liverpool were very lucky yesterday. Lucky that Sterling was full of energy in the 94th minute. Must have been a complete load of bollocks that he was too tired to play for England. What a shame the brightest young talent we've had for years is a complete cunt.

'He had the energy yesterday, therefore he had it 5 days ago.'

What a gargantuan pile of shite. Think before you post pls.

Rikkun

About to eat tortellini with a fuckload of grana on top. Just wanted to let Yurt know. I regret nothing.
No regrets.

Also aren't we in the same time zone? Are you having tortellini for merenda?

Zaza to score 2 OG against Roma

Just fuck off and get ready to be flagged as the one who started our downfall to 7th place.

Ronaldo or Ronaldo.

Dunno.

Ronaldo at his best was insanely good. But that wasn't for very long.

Ronaldo has been really really good for a really really long time.

Zabojnik

Bayern and BVB being famous worldwide just means I'll watch 2 matches per year.
It's the same as La Liga, will you watch Real Madrid Elche? Chances are you'll tune in for RM vs AM vs Barca, MAYBE Sevilla.
Premier League has a shitton of interesting matches.
Serie A's only interesting match is Roma Juventus, and just for the following fallout.

Sure, but it's wasn't that long ago that Serie A had 'the seven sisters'. Juve, Milan, Inter and to lesser extent Roma, Napoli, Lazio and Fiorentina all have the history and the fans. Problem is there is no money in Italy at the moment and the management and planning is basically non-exsistent. There's no political will to turn things around, which isn't surprising, since Italy as a nation is facing exactly the same problems.

Sheikhs pls.

Rikkun

please take a look at their shirt sales

who the fuck even cares about Bayern outside Germania Bavaria? RED FLAG

I'm calling Platini.

I saw a blonde kid from Austria, about 6 years old, wearing a Lewa shirt.

He looked like a cunt.

Sure, but it's wasn't that long ago that Serie A had 'the seven sisters'. Juve, Milan, Inter and to lesser extent Roma, Napoli, Lazio and Fiorentina all have the history and the fans. Problem is there is no money in Italy at the moment and the management and planning is basically non-exsistent. There's no political will to turn things around, which isn't surprising, since Italy as a nation is facing exactly the same problems.

Sheikhs pls.

You still have the best players though.

/shanks

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Arda Turan "To date, in these 4 years that I have been in Madrid, the hardest match I have played was vs. Juventus at the Calderon"

"They [Juventus] were very strong, we had to work really hard."

really now?

Rikkun

Ronaldo or Ronaldo.

Dunno.

Ronaldo at his best was insanely good. But that wasn't for very long.

Ronaldo has been really really good for a really really long time.

Ronaldo_piange.jpg

You made Ronaldo cry.

Sheikhs pls.

Yeah, before Calciopoli maybe.
Then they buried us.
Then we came back.
Then we struggled.
Then we slayed.

Since calciopoli, Serie A has been a two teams scenario.
Inter vs Roma, Inter vs. Juve, Inter vs. Roma, Milan vs. Inter.

Look at the past 3 years, other teams took turns to try and get our crown.
First Milan, then Napoli, then Roma.
Now Roma is full of cunts and they didn't leave this year's spot to Inter or Fiorentina.

Shit league.

sohois

Bale & Modric out. Just like that the two crucial games are tougher for us.

http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/gareth-bale-copa-goal-against-barca-b.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

[quote="Gurthang, post: 135122188"]Ramos, Bale, Modric, Varane, Benzema being assessed for injuries.
Liverpool, Barca pls.[/QUOTE]

you're certainly going to have no chance against the likes of Glen Johnson and Emre Can now. The only players you have to replace Bale and Modric are the £40million Illaramendi and £85million Rodriguez.

Sure, Götze and Lewandowski would have left sooner or later. But would Götze have left for Madrid/Barca/whatever last year? I don't think so. The same with Reus, I don't see him leaving for some top club abroad either next year. They would have probably stayed for another year or two, which would have helped us a lot.

I'm not sure about Sheikhs, really. Who would really be interested in the German league? And look at the German clubs, who would be a possible choice? I don't see Watzke selling us off, HSV is already kinda owned by Kühne so that might be a hassle, Leverkusen belongs to Bayer. And the other clubs are just non-interesting for a foreign investor. Nobody is gonna invest crazy money in fucking Hannover 96. The only thing I could see happening is Schlacke considering they already sold their soul to Russia. And that case, I really don't wanna see happening.

Blablurn

Sure, Götze and Lewandowski would have left sooner or later. But would Götze have left for Madrid/Barca/whatever last year? I don't think so. The same with Reus, I don't see him leaving for some top club abroad either. They would have probably stayed for another year or two, which would have helped us a lot.

I'm not sure about Sheikhs, really. Who would really be interested in the German league? And look at the German clubs, who would be a possible choice? I don't see Watzke selling us off, HSV is already kinda owned by Kühne so that might be a hassle, Leverkusen belongs to Bayer. And the other clubs are just non-interesting for a foreign investor. Nobody is gonna invest crazy money in fucking Hannover 96. The only thing I could see happening is Schlacke considering they already sold their soul to Russia. And that case, I really don't wanna see happening.

Get ready for Red Bull Leipzig

Would Madrid/Barca/whatever announce signing him before your CL final? I don't think so

Marca would :lol

Get ready for Red Bull Leipzig

I don't think they'll be relevant in the next few year. The Bundesliga is no Mickey Mouse league like the Austrian one and they won't be able to have their farming teams in the second and third division. VW also has a shitload of money but it's just too expensive to be a top team in the short run.

Blablurn

Marca would :lol

I don't think they'll be relevant in the next few year. The Bundesliga is no Mickey Mouse league like the Austrian one and they won't be able to have their farming teams in the second and third division. VW also has a shitload of money but it's just too expensive to be a top team in the short run.

Hm. Guess you're right.

Remember when Hoffenheim was the next big thing in 2008 lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom