• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT7| daily blind is a renegade of funk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
If Fergie is right and Jones plays like the GOAT United player ever, then we have a chance.

Falcao is our best available striker (Rooney is out :p). He'll at least try to get onto the end of crosses. RVP is off it and Falcao has looked good whenever he's played.

None of that really matters though. Fellaini will elbow Matic into the ground. The people's elbow.

you have no chance

seriously

Scum

Apparently people were talking too much about other players in the player-thread ie the Lovren thread turning into a debate about whether we'd have been better off keeping Agger and Lovren's chances of coming good. I know right, people using a forum to express their legitimate opinions. Bloody disgrace it is.

So now the only threads which are allowed are match threads, and threads about players as long as they're wrapped around a wider point. So if I want to spark a debate about what Allen provides over Coutinho, I have to make a long-winded OP called something stupid like 'The Advantages of Welsh Steel As Compared To Brazilian Flair YNWA'

nt5j5sS.png

PowderedToast

Anyone else get the feeling that we're making a conscious effort to get Borini to fuck off in January? Our strikers have been terrible, and he still can't get a game. Wouldn't be surprised if we tried bringing in 2 more strikers in January, maybe including Origi.

he got his game and he was involved in what was collectively the worst performance of the season (and that's saying something lol)

but you're right, i don't think rodgers sees any long term future and he's clearly hell bent on playing balotelli into form and improving his all-round game instead

Salazar

Minimise Marouane's defensive responsibilities
Maximise opportunities for him to lump Fabregas

Expecting a big one from Rafael. Just hope Shaw isn't terrible.

Nerokis

On the topic of El Clasico, I've seen a lot of people call Ronaldo out, and it's partly deserved. He disrupted a few counters with poor passes. I get the feeling, though, that RM has been a little overreliant on the left flank/whatever side Ronaldo happens to be on, and the talent on the right ends up being underutilized. The magic just isn't manifesting there nearly as often. Sometimes I feel James' positioning is a little off during link plays in part because he doesn't expect balls to be fed to him.

Ronaldo's clumsier moments were also his more selfless ones, and iirc, attempts to set James up. RM was dominating at that point, and I think there was both a longing for James to score and an effort to balance out the attack in general. So I can forgive the mistakes.

Overall, this is the first time I've ever watched an El Clasico where RM were just straight up the better team. Barca fizzled out from side of the pitch to the other. It was a little disappointing to see, but RM's performance outweighed that.

I hope my second favorite Colombian player, Falcao, manages to be fit for tomorrow. Otherwise I'm not sure if I'll be able to tolerate watching MU implode once again.

MPW

On the topic of El Clasico, I've seen a lot of people call Ronaldo out, and it's partly deserved. He disrupted a few counters with poor passes. I get the feeling, though, that RM has been a little overreliant on the left flank/whatever side Ronaldo happens to be on, and the talent on the right ends up being underutilized. The magic just isn't manifesting there nearly as often. Sometimes I feel James' positioning is a little off during link plays in part because he doesn't expect balls to be fed to him.

Ronaldo's clumsier moments were also his more selfless ones, and iirc, attempts to set James up. RM was dominating at that point, and I think there was both a longing for James to score and an effort to balance out the attack in general. So I can forgive the mistakes.

Overall, this is the first time I've ever watched an El Clasico where RM were just straight up the better team. Barca fizzled out from side of the pitch to the other. It was a little disappointing to see, but RM's performance outweighed that.

I hope my second favorite Colombian player, Falcao, manages to be fit for tomorrow. Otherwise I'm not sure if I'll be able to tolerate watching MU implode once again.

when did you start watching futbol?

Tubie

So much this.

RM still has a winning record against Barcelona, even after the massive Messi years bump.

Barcelona has only won 18 times at the Bernabeu out of 84. I'm willing to bet a huge chunk of that came after 2006.

tri_willy

His finishing was worse than ever, due to the fact that he was actually getting chances. Which is an improvement over doing absolutely fuck all, which is what I've become accustomed to from him.

I don't understand how he scored 1 in 2 for Milan when he panics so much when chances arise, no matter how many of them were penalties.

a lot of them were pelanties

I've been watching the highlights, this Madrid team is amazing. A lot of it I credit it to ancelotti, he's been so critical in finding our balance.

I can see why Bayern may be the favorites going into the CL but I honestly think we may be selling ourselves short - we can dominate given we have a healthy squad.

This is the best Madrid team I have ever seen in the last decade, easy.

Nerokis

Hmm. I got into the 2010 WC, and since then, I would watch a match whenever I caught one on TV. But I first got obsessive during the 2014 WC, and that obsession continues to this day. So not long. :p

I've watched past RM vs. Barca matches, though, and I've gotten used to Barca looking like the more "stable" team, so to speak. Even throughout this season. This time around, no single RM player outshined the team's collective performance, and that performance made Barca look the worst I've ever seen them.

By the way, off the top of my head, I think the first El Clasico I ever watched was a November 2010 game where Barca won 5-0. The feeling of dominance this time was pretty similar.

lol Pique, go home.

FEyDXbq.png

"In the first half we were the better team," Pique told reporters. "Neymar scored, [Lionel] Messi had a great chance, but then came the penalty.

"It would be nice to know what the criteria is because it's true the ball touches my hand but I couldn't get it out [of] the way.

"He kicked the ball and I can't disappear. The ball hit my hand and the whistle [was] blown then.

"The referee didn't say anything. I threw myself to the ground to use my body and I couldn't put my hands behind my back."

GorillaJu

Balotelli didn't play badly at all yesterday and was probably our second best player behind Moreno. The ball was only once or twice put into a scoring position. We just failed as a team to create space and chances—Can, Lallana and Allen just didnt give us enough opportunities to take advantage of. None of them are to blame I don't think, they just aren't the trio of players you want when you're playing a side like Hull that press and compact the middle third of the pitch and spread out the fouls.

Yes he missed a chance at the end, but on the balance of the team's performance I'd say he was one of the better ones out there.

Lovren has improved a bit, he and Moreno had a better understanding than before but you can tell quite clearly that he's low on confidence and will need a few more good performances to ever become regular at a level befitting a Champions League team.

I'm optimistic in that the more the season advances the more our Madrid team will be able to match their Bayern team. I don't think we have yet to reach our ceiling.

What has Bayern really proved this year anyways? Not to disctedit them.

I'm optimistic in that the more the season advances the more our Madrid team will be able to match their Bayern team. I don't think we have yet to reach our ceiling.

they have a proper dms now, and added Alonso.

crazy how Isco Modric Kross Hames has worked. James recovers some KEY balls.

he really deserved a goal today. he and MAGISCO

And Bayern has?

No Martinez, no Schweinsteiger, no Ribery, no Thiago, no Badstuber.

Blablurn

Bayern is good but madrids raw offensive power with bale and ronaldo could destroy is again, again and again. Not sure if we could defend all those counter attacks.

Tubie

Bayern is good but madrids raw offensive power with bale and ronaldo could destroy is again, again and again. Not sure if we could defend all those counter attacks.

Alonso would keep them in check.

Gotze and Muller would run circles around Marcelo and Carvajal :(

Barca lost today because Busquets was getting overwhelmed by Kroos and Modric, and Iniesta, for some reason, was completely not equipped to mark whoever Busquets couldn't.

We'll need Muller to play the advanced destroyer role if we want to contain Real's link up play between defence and attack, and he'll be perfect for that role. Would love to see how this Madrid's 4-4-2 system handle libero Alaba.

Regardless, the muscle we'll have in the midfield if Schweinsteiger and Martinez make it back will be hard for any team to play through. They'll have to rely on long balls instead.

and you had 70% when they beat you 0-4 in Germany!

I don't mean possession-wise of course

I think there are obvious weaknesses in our squad. I just don't think Real, as they are constructed today, would be able to take advantage.

Chelsea is perfectly equipped to beat us.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I think there are obvious weaknesses in our squad. I just don't think Real, as they are constructed today, would be able to take advantage.

Chelsea is perfectly equipped to beat us.
this Chelsea team really scares me, it seems like forever ago when we beat them 3-0
OUCH.

We should deploy Sassuolo, it's clearly their time to shine in UCL.

Here comes the importance of knowing where one's towel is. Ricky, we're pussies, and our towel/security blanket is Serie A, we've failed, and the the reports of our resurrection have been greatly exaggerated.

sticker,375x360.u2.png

Purdy

Apparently people were talking too much about other players in the player-thread ie the Lovren thread turning into a debate about whether we'd have been better off keeping Agger and Lovren's chances of coming good. I know right, people using a forum to express their legitimate opinions. Bloody disgrace it is.

So now the only threads which are allowed are match threads, and threads about players as long as they're wrapped around a wider point. So if I want to spark a debate about what Allen provides over Coutinho, I have to make a long-winded OP called something stupid like 'The Advantages of Welsh Steel As Compared To Brazilian Flair YNWA'

Fuck me I barely go on the main forum at all, now even less of a reason too, the mods are fucking idiots on there a lot of the time

Backing us to do Chelsea.

Allardyce has shown us what's possible.

it has to be a high scoring game. No way we keep a clean sheet against Di Maria/Mata/Falcao and I would find it hard to believe we won't score. Really nervous about this one for some reason. Expecting a game like the Everton/Chelsea game earlier in the season!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom