• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT8| - Sunderland 0

Been watching clips of him instead of doing Uni work cuz why not.

I know you only usually get the best bits of the player so you're not getting a full picture of a performance, but it's noticeable how much he moves around the box to make himself available. He tries to get on the end of anything. We're missing that kind of striker right now.

Seriously his movement is amazing.

It's like watching Borini.

Clegg

Noticeable in his games for us so far as well. His movement's just electric. Doesn't stand still ever.

The Everton game was the one where I came to realise how good he can be. Was snatching at his shots and missing but he was there for everything. Alert to attacking opportunities that others weren't.

God I hope he's back soon. Colombian press think he'll be left out of their squad. Hope that's not the case. Would mean he's still injured.

Zabojnik

Imagine if United's semi-crisis goes on for another year or two and both Di Maria and Falcao don't get their chance to shine. Just imagine. All that money.

Reposting:

Fzjvq9N.jpg

Clegg

We should've struck while the irons were hot and took Moutinho from Monaco too. It was clear that they were cashing out with the sale of Rodriguez and loan of Falcao.

Clegg

Ken Early ‏@kenearlys 8m8 minutes ago

listening to man united group managing director richard arnold give a talk at Dublin web summit.

introduced as director of club with one billion followers. the number in his presentation is 659 million. what's 341 million between friends

arnold: "we have 3.5 billion TV viewers a year. we're the biggest TV show in the world. 2 hrs of live TV a week in 80% of the world's homes"

arnold points out fergie retired same day new pope was announced and fergie trended #1 on twitter. think papal fanbase skews a bit older tho

"i won't say anything about the website cos anyone who's interested can go look at it. biggest in the world."

arnold says manchester united is a mobile-first media organisation focused on consumable chunks of content fans can engage with on the go

-_-

Clegg

I'm noticing a distinct lack of football-related statements.

It's an event about the positives of multi-media communications and how it can benefit your business. Doubt you'll hear much football talk. Still embarrassing that United have whored themselves out to this extent tho.

bjaelke

Desperately in need of a win tonight. Have a job interview in Hamburg tomorrow and I'm still low-spirited after the nufc match.

jtb

Banned
totally agree about Arsenal's off the ball movement (or lack thereof). Theo's good at it, Giroud actually makes pretty intelligent runs (he's just so fucking slow), just about everyone else isn't. it's been the biggest difference (along with the complete lack of pressing) between Pep's Barcelona, in their heyday, and Wenger's last few teams. there just doesn't seem to be much structure to the way these players play together; they just have the freedom to whatever they want. obviously having Messi and co helps you win trophies, but Pep was also a pretty innovative manager. Wenger should have been taking notes.

Wilbur

Banned
People will ignore it because it was his first game back since the month of September

(among other reasons)

Played for England twice in October didn't he

Should have been refreshed m8

Regardless, he does that in every game. wasn't terrible when you take the entire game as a whole, but he gives the ball away far too often.

Regardless, he does that in every game. wasn't terrible when you take the entire game as a whole, but he gives the ball away far too often.

Not just that, his movement off the ball can be disappointing too compared to Herrera who could have played in the same position as he did yesterday

e.g.:
Moves away after calling for pass
http://gfycat.com/CompassionateHelplessAltiplanochinchillamouse

Refuses to find space where the ball could be passed to him...
http://gfycat.com/SecondaryReadyDoctorfish

Doesn't make forward run with DM dragging people with him
http://i.imgur.com/GbbBQPI.gif

This is why lot of people love him though:
http://gfycat.com/RelievedSoupyBoaconstrictor

tri_willy

lol no

We're in a funny postitin where when we drop underperforming players, they either have to be replaced by other underperformers, or reserves

Good to have to back bruv :)

didnt watch the game against swansea - we won
watched the game against newcastle - we lost
not going to watch the game against madrid - ???

Salvadora

When you attempt to conjure magic and win the game for your team, it doesn't always come off.

Remember that run? Could has won you's the game.

Do you want 100% passing but someone like Daley Blind who is of the Tom Cleverley mould?

Wilbur

Banned
Not just that, his movement off the ball can be disappointing too compared to Herrera who could have played in the same position as he did yesterday

e.g.:
Moves away after calling for pass
http://gfycat.com/CompassionateHelplessAltiplanochinchillamouse

Refuses to find space where the ball could be passed to him...
http://gfycat.com/SecondaryReadyDoctorfish

Doesn't make forward run with DM dragging people with him
http://i.imgur.com/GbbBQPI.gif

This is why lot of people love him though:
http://gfycat.com/RelievedSoupyBoaconstrictor

That first one pissed me off just watching it again. Christ.

Wilbur

Banned
When you attempt to conjure magic and win the game for your team, it doesn't always come off.

Do you want 100% passing but someone like Daley Blind who is of the Tom Cleverley mould?

I'd like a happy medium between safe unremarkable passing and haphazard passing which breaks down attacks often and gifts possession to the opposition.

Yeah cool, he made a good run. Then he did fuck all at the end of it. The opening RVP fashioned for his own shot actually had an end result.

He didn't attempt to conjure magic, apart from that run which ended up in damp squid.

And you are completely underrating Blind

Stats is for people who don't understand football

There I said it

Moyes has 95% winning rate in Europe or some shit

Greatest European manager of our time?.....
Yes

KidJr

totally agree about Arsenal's off the ball movement (or lack thereof). Theo's good at it, Giroud actually makes pretty intelligent runs (he's just so fucking slow), just about everyone else isn't. it's been the biggest difference (along with the complete lack of pressing) between Pep's Barcelona, in their heyday, and Wenger's last few teams. there just doesn't seem to be much structure to the way these players play together; they just have the freedom to whatever they want. obviously having Messi and co helps you win trophies, but Pep was also a pretty innovative manager. Wenger should have been taking notes.

It very true, Giroud makes AWESOME runs but I'm pretty sure a tortose on kettamine could out pace him.

One thing that annoys me, and I'll never know. We talk about these things, regular football fans and it seems pretty clear you and I can see the problem right and it'd be fair to assume neither of us have access to footage of every game over the past year from 100 of different camera angles etc. Nor do either us do this professionally... so why can we see what is so painstakingly obvious but Wenger cant see it or just does nothing about it.

I mean I always give managers the benefit of the doubt, because football fans are worse the arm chair developers (maybe a toss actually). And I reckon that pretty much anyone doing the job professionally in the a top league probably knows more than me. But some of the mistakes I see week in week out really makes me question this.

Top Bottom