• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT8| - Sunderland 0

Tbf that first clip you could say he was peeling off from Yaya Toure to go the other way.

Anyway - Rooney has his limitations. Everyone knows that. He thinks too slowly and his touch lets him down randomly. Always going to be a big problem for a player playing in the tightest spot on the pitch. Far from the main problem in the team right now though.

RVP's complete lack of life is a far bigger problem. Would not be at all averse to starting Wilson ahead of him right now.

He didn't attempt to conjure magic, apart from that run which ended up in damp squid.

And you are completely underrating Blind

Comparison to someone who plays in Blind's position is irrelevant anyway. Totally different role and nature of the task. Cleverley played/plays another position altogether also.

Blind is good on the possession side of things. Very smart player. Much to be desired defensively, though.

Chelsea fans don't deserve to see their club succeed.

chelsea-haters-o.gif

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
"He's not El Nino. He's El Nonno."

Signing Torres sure turned out to be a brilliant idea.

I think deep down inside, I WANTED him to flop, we all did. The last thing Italian football needs right now is reviving fucking Torres :lol joke status will be confirmed

But who am I kidding, joke status was confirmed a while ago, when Padoin started for the Champions of Italy.

I think deep down inside, I WANTED him to flop, we all did. The last thing Italian football needs right now is reviving fucking Torrea :lol joke status confirmed

But who am I kidding, joke status was confirmed a while ago, when Padoin started for the Champions of Italy.

Deep down Yurt cares about Serie A.

Hixx

RegularPowerfulGardensnake.gif

Despite missing basically a whole season, in the last 3 seasons Fletcher has the most headed goals in the PL

ApprehensiveSpanishLacewing.gif

HES EXPLOSIVE

GleefulNiceEgret.gif

Despite being named Jordi, in the last 29 years Gomez has washed himself more times than any actual Geordie alive.

AptIdolizedHoneyeater.gif

Despite being fucking shit Liam Bridcutt has a Premier League assist

I never will, but it's unfortunate that Juve plays there, because eventually they're gonna drag us down into the abyss with them

Milan was the first victim of Italian football, RIP.

Maybe you should try helping the coefficient then rather than making it worse ¬¬

Juve vs Liverpool Europa League Final 2015

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Maybe you should try helping the coefficient then rather than making it worse ¬¬

Juve vs Liverpool Europa League Final 2015

The coefficient battle IS in Europa League actually, but I wasn't talking about Europe. Clubs are not allowed (yes, not allowed) to build stadiums, the economy is in the gutter, FIGC is being run by an 80 y/o racist and Lotito (Lazio, which in all likelihood is another racist), you name it..

Anyway, I'm glad all this coefficient shit is over next season ffs.

Godan

It very true, Giroud makes AWESOME runs but I'm pretty sure a tortose on kettamine could out pace him.

One thing that annoys me, and I'll never know. We talk about these things, regular football fans and it seems pretty clear you and I can see the problem right and it'd be fair to assume neither of us have access to footage of every game over the past year from 100 of different camera angles etc. Nor do either us do this professionally... so why can we see what is so painstakingly obvious but Wenger cant see it or just does nothing about it.

I mean I always give managers the benefit of the doubt, because football fans are worse the arm chair developers (maybe a toss actually). And I reckon that pretty much anyone doing the job professionally in the a top league probably knows more than me. But some of the mistakes I see week in week out really makes me question this.

Yeah I understand this too. I mean you buy Ozil who at the time was so good in the central role. A year later puts him wide as a winger. Like you just spent £42.5M on a player becasue of what he has been doing in that position only to play him in another position that you can tell he is uncomfortable with.

I know he did that with Henry and it worked out but when a player has made a name for himself playing a central role don't just toss him out wide and expect him to do well.

The coefficient battle IS in Europa League actually, but I wasn't talking about Europe. Clubs are not allowed (yes, not allowed) to build stadiums, the economy is in the gutter, FIGC is being run by a racist and Lotito (Lazio, which in all likelihood is another racist), you name it..

Anyway, I'm glad all this coefficient shit is over next season ffs.

Any idea how many clubs in Serie A are owned by individuals?

KidJr

Yeah I understand this too. I mean you buy Ozil who at the time was so good in the central role. A year later puts him wide as a winger. Like you just spent £42.5M on a player becasue of what he has been doing in that position only to play him in another position that you can tell he is uncomfortable with.

I know he did that with Henry and it worked out but when a player has made a name for himself playing a central role don't just toss him out wide and expect him to do well.

Yeah I havent uttered this out loud but I could easily see happening to Ozil what happened to Arshavin.

But it'd even a worst travesty, because I have belief that in terms of ability Ozil can be one of the best in the world (he used to remind me of Kaka)

Esch

Banned
It very true, Giroud makes AWESOME runs but I'm pretty sure a tortose on kettamine could out pace him.

One thing that annoys me, and I'll never know. We talk about these things, regular football fans and it seems pretty clear you and I can see the problem right and it'd be fair to assume neither of us have access to footage of every game over the past year from 100 of different camera angles etc. Nor do either us do this professionally... so why can we see what is so painstakingly obvious but Wenger cant see it or just does nothing about it.

I mean I always give managers the benefit of the doubt, because football fans are worse the arm chair developers (maybe a toss actually). And I reckon that pretty much anyone doing the job professionally in the a top league probably knows more than me. But some of the mistakes I see week in week out really makes me question this.

I don't care for a lot of what he does either, like putting Ozil on the wing or constantly changing the formation around. Feels like nobody really gets a chance to get used to whatever they're supposed to be doing and we end up nicking goals from pure moxie rather than any sort of goal-oriented play. And he puts way too much stock in Wilshere.

I think we can all agree his transfer market moves are mixed too. Sanchez and Welbz have turned out to be pretty good picks but the defensive situation is beyond woeful. Our attacking talent is super unbalanaced.

jtb

Banned
Yeah I havent uttered this out loud but I could easily see happening to Ozil what happened to Arshavin.

But it'd even a worst travesty, because I have belief that in terms of ability Ozil can be one of the best in the world (he used to remind me of Kaka)

I think part of the problem re: off the ball movement is that Wenger has a fetish for number 10-type players. Those players expect the ball and expect to create with the ball, rather than get into positions to receive it. Wenger's not going to drill them to run off the ball, so unless that's a natural part of their game (like Walcott or Sanchez), they probably won't learn how to do it. We have so many players that play in that position naturally, and a few more that don't that Wenger wants to shove there anyways (Ox, Ramsey).

for example, I like Rosicky; he's a useful, squad player who won't complain about not getting minutes and he was, after RVP, the most important contributor in saving that horrific 2011-2012 season. but he's basically useless on the wing and he's made of glass. And in the 10 position, he's simply not as good as Ozil or Cazorla (even off-form) and there isn't the potential of reaching a high ceiling (like a Wilshere) because he's only going downhill from here. finding a natural wide player or a natural striker to replace him would be such a better allocation of that slot within the 25 man roster.

And yes, the Arshavin-ification of Ozil is a very real fear. Cazorla too

Comparison to someone who plays in Blind's position is irrelevant anyway. Totally different role and nature of the task. Cleverley played/plays another position altogether also.

Blind is good on the possession side of things. Very smart player. Much to be desired defensively, though.

He needs to go on the Gareth Bale diet, at least that would give him a more physical presence

Godan

Yeah it just seems like Wenger is not really sure on what system he wants to play.

I really think we should go back to the 4-2-3-1 again. With Welbeck up front with Sanchez Ozil and Theo on the 3 and Ramsey and Wilshere behind them.

With that I think you would get the best out of Ozil with that pace around him he could pick a pass and know that hes got the player next to him to get on the end of it.

Yeah it just seems like Wenger is not really sure on what system he wants to play.

I really think we should go back to the 4-2-3-1 again. With Welbeck up front with Sanchez Ozil and Theo on the 3 and Ramsey and Wilshere behind them.

With that I think you would get the best out of Ozil with that pace around him he could pick a pass and know that hes got the player next to him to get on the end of it.

Wenger will play Ozil on the wing and you will like it

KidJr

I think part of the problem re: off the ball movement is that Wenger has a fetish for number 10-type players. Those players expect the ball and expect to create with the ball, rather than get into positions to receive it. Wenger's not going to drill them to run off the ball, so unless that's a natural part of their game (like Walcott or Sanchez), they probably won't learn how to do it. We have so many players that play in that position naturally, and a few more that don't that Wenger wants to shove there anyways (Ox, Ramsey).

for example, I like Rosicky; he's a useful, squad player who won't complain about not getting minutes and he was, after RVP, the most important contributor in saving that horrific 2011-2012 season. but he's basically useless on the wing and he's made of glass. And in the 10 position, he's simply not as good as Ozil or Cazorla (even off-form) and there isn't the potential of reaching a high ceiling (like a Wilshere) because he's only going downhill from here. finding a natural wide player or a natural striker to replace him would be such a better allocation of that slot within the 25 man roster.

And yes, the Arshavin-ification of Ozil is a very real fear. Cazorla too

Yep indeed, I think this harks back to the Robert Pires and Freddy L days, I guess those guys (more so Pires) werent naturally wingers but managed to be effective from wide positions.

jtb

Banned
also can we please sell Campbell? he could very well develop into a good player but it certainly won't be at Arsenal

KidJr

-----------Giroud--------------
AOC----Alexis----Walcott
------Wilshere-Ramsey---

I want to see this

To unbalanced in my opinion, Rmasey and Wiltshere aren't disciplined enough as yet for that, in the future maybe but our back for would be so exposed every time we lost the ball

Salvadora

Bale is a unique physical specimen like Ronaldo.

To make Daley Blind (!) anything like those gods, you would have to give him that special serum that Captain America took.
To unbalanced in my opinion, Rmasey and Wiltshere aren't disciplined enough as yet for that, in the future maybe but our back for would be so exposed every time we lost the ball
Would replace Wilshere with a DM in that line-up if we ever sign on :(

We might be underperforming but I'm actually glad it's under Van Gaal. Granted we have a problem with our defense (AND STOP PICKING RVP FFS) but we look alive at least.

Hopefully we get Strootman and another defender in January. Lost my faith on Smalling, Evans and Jones.

EDIT: Oh and I have no idea how Liverpool can win tonight.

Real has been deadly.

Liverpool has been dead.

Salvadora

We might be underperforming but I'm actually glad it's under Van Gaal. Granted we have a problem with our defense (AND STOP PICKING RVP FFS) but we look alive at least.

Hopefully we get Strootman and another defender in January. Lost my faith on Smalling, Evans and Jones.
Would be jokes if your marquee signing at christmas was a player who hasn't played for many months

Hopefully Strootman is fit soon and we can see him in some games before Jan. Otherwise wait till Summer.

I don't know anybody except Vlaar who could be available for a January move...

Would be jokes if your marquee signing at christmas was a player who hasn't played for many months

Seriously Salvadora.

Who else would join us.

Hopefully Strootman is fit soon and we can see him in some games before Jan. Otherwise wait till Summer.

I don't know anybody except Vlaar who could be available for a January move...

Won't be surprised if we did a loan like Falcao's with Strootman.

Top Bottom