• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT8| - Sunderland 0

bud

wooden is in the process of developing his own engine.

this very engine will be capable of pulling off ray-tracing in-game.

60fps evangelists are the most boring section of members on this forum

60fps vs 30fps is a world of difference, and people trying to act like it isn't worth discussing are idiot. That said, people who buy a cheap ass console and expects it to be 60fps future proof are also idiot, just like people buying annual multiplatform ubisoft games expecting them to be optimized in any way are.

Wooden makes games on the same engine that runs To the Moon, of course he knows
RPG Maker

I've moved to gamebryo

60fps vs 30fps is a world of difference, and people trying to act like it isn't worth discussing are idiot. That said, people who buy a cheap ass console and expects it to be 60fps future proof are also idiot, just like people buying annual multiplatform ubisoft games expecting them to be optimized in anyway.

I think it depends on the game...how much difference it does or does not make.

In either case, most people should realize majority of games on consoles will be 30 FPS.

tri_willy

idCxdShn0FnlR.jpg

hahaha king kolo pls

I think it depends on the game...how much difference it does or does not make.

No doubt. With some games I would take 30fps with just overall better graphics. But racers, FPS's, and fighting games 60fps is important as fuck, but I would be well happy with 30fps silent hills.

People expecting Ubisoft to give two shits about optimizing frame rate and resolution for PS4 over Xbone though? You can hardly even expect them to not break the pc version.

M8's, they are like Woodwards busy striking deals like:

NHYp9vq.jpg

Clegg

YES CLEGG
I think it was you who made me get Black Flag. Was around this time last year and wasn't planning on getting it immediately. You posted here on release day, got me hyped and I left Uni early to buy it. One of my fav games of last year. Thanks bb.

Clegg

Black Flag was pretty different to every other AC. Rogue looks more like a sequel to that than Unity.
I'm getting both. Love the Ass Creed games in general. Lot of new features in Unity that really appeal to me. Plus those corrupted memory sequences look cool.

KidJr

60fps vs 30fps is a world of difference, and people trying to act like it isn't worth discussing are idiot. That said, people who buy a cheap ass console and expects it to be 60fps future proof are also idiot, just like people buying annual multiplatform ubisoft games expecting them to be optimized in any way are.

So if Uncharted does hit 60fps what would you say?

Facism

Gold Member
Not a fan of the ubishyte design of 100 different objectives with very little gameplay and event variation.

Black flag was saved by ship battles, but they boiled down to the same repetitive treadmill that the rest of the ubi "open-world" game design is poisoned with.

Hixx

Yeah Ubisoft's open-world formula is laughable. Watch Dogs was the final straw for me in terms of their open-world offerings.

Unity will be £20 before Christmas anyway, like every other AC/Ubisoft game. If there's one "AAA" game you should wait a few weeks to buy, it's Assassin's Creed.

Facism

Gold Member
Yeah Ubisoft's open-world formula is laughable. Watch Dogs was the final straw for me in terms of their open-world offerings.

Unity will be £20 before Christmas anyway, like every other AC/Ubisoft game. If there's one "AAA" game you should wait a few weeks to buy, it's Assassin's Creed.

£5 is my threshold for Ubi games.

Tc91

I swear I saw someone post in here the other day about cheap xbox live gold and about changing to different stores on the console for cheaper games.

Could someone possibly find the post for me please? I can't find it :( I need Forza after playing the demo!

dc89

I swear I saw someone post in here the other day about cheap xbox live gold and about changing to different stores on the console for cheaper games.

Could someone possibly find the post for me please? I can't find it :( I need Forza after playing the demo!

Go make a thread in gaming. You'll have your answers in minutes.

Facism

Gold Member
Go make a thread in gaming. You'll have your answers in minutes.

not only that, some warrior will mention metacritic scores of exclusives compared to ps4 and why you should buy a second xbone because it's cheap now and comes with the lord saviour insomniac game. Or how remasters don't count unless it's Halo.

I pointed you to the light

You followed it back to footyGAF

KidJr

A game developed by a very gifted developer for ONE system. Being able to hit 60 fps fine.

It being 30 fps would also be fine.

No I dont think anyone would expect it from all developers but I can assure you it'll be more than just the one.

I'm pretty sure before you even write a line of code for your engine you choose, your targets for your project. This is what we want from our game from a technical standard and your programmers will let you know if this is possible yay or nay and how much time and sacrifices you'd have to make in order to achieve this.

Its a question of time and resources not what is under the hood, which quite frankly isnt worth it for a lot of studio's. Hell if you really wanted to you could get a lot more games at 1080p on Xbone if you really wanted to spend time optimising code to run the ESRAM but again it's just not realistic with the amount of time and effort it often takes to do so yeah.

I mean I only say that because your comment about buying a cheap console and wanting 60 fps irked me. I have a ps4, and for a lot of games especially as we go further into the generation I expect 60fps for quite a few games as well as graphical fidelity. Do I expect this from a Ubi annual release hell no, but others studios are more than capable.

No I dont think anyone would expect it from all developers but I can assure you it'll be more than just the one.

I'm pretty sure before you even write a line of code for your engine you choose, your targets for your project. This is what we want from our game from a technical standard and your programmers will let you know if this is possible yay or nay and how much time and sacrifices you'd have to make in order to achieve this.

Its a question of time and resources not what is under the hood, which quite frankly isnt worth it for a lot of studio's. Hell if you really wanted to you could get a lot more games at 1080p on Xbone if you really wanted to spend time optimising code to run the ESRAM but again it's just not realistic with the amount of time and effort it often takes to do so yeah.

I mean I only say that because your comment about buying a cheap console and wanting 60 fps irked me. I have a ps4, and for a lot of games especially as we go further into the generation I expect 60fps for quite a few games as well as graphical fidelity. Do I expect this from a Ubi annual release hell no, but others studios are more than capable.

I am in software development and work as a Product Manager.

You choose some minimum goals you want to achieve in terms of performance for your software. You may also choose the ideal goals where you would eventually want it to end up at. In some cases, these could be the same.

Initial development though will be done with minimum goals in mind. Once you have something there, you can then look at performance it is giving and see if it can be improved.

E.g. you have with COD:AW, it was 900p on XB1 till now. Which must be their minimum target. They then tried to get it up higher and ended up with 1360x1080p dynamic scaling, which probably was not their ideal but something that got them closest to it.

By the time we mostly hear about games, they have been in development long enough to know what would be achievable at the minimum. Unless the game is Last Guardian.

Why does it always have to be 30 or 60FPS?!

Why not 45FPS. Then everyone can be happy.

Someone on gaming side said why, I forgot.

I play games on PC with variable framerates 90% of the time and it has never been an issue.

Like WoW.

I go from 100 FPS to 80 to 30 to 20 to 40 to 15 to 45

Of course you could get that. But as you said, it's not worth it optimizing the games to death for the developers... If the consoles were more powerful, this much optimization wouldn't be necessary, it's certainly not as if their pc titles are very well optimized either but people still manage due to the pure power of some of the machines. I don't think anyone argued it wouldn't be possible, but that you really shouldn't expect it from Ubisoft annual titles and such, of course there's still going to be games that does have that.

Doesn't affect me at all on PC games.

Though I guess PC monitors refresh rates are higher than TVs? dunno that stuff

HDMI only supports 24Hz, 30Hz, 60 Hz and analog 50Hz for PAL and 60Hz for NTSC which both can be safly divided in half creating 25Hz and 30Hz. If you lacking one frame in refresh rate you gonna have duplicate frame or tearing. Thats why developers aims for specific refrash rate, developers pick to aim at 30Hz as it a safer option. One of main reasons why games become region lock due PAL and NTSC is because refresh rate, which required optimized code for each. DDR for example is buggy when you use PAL <-> NTSC hacks You don't see that on PC for simple reasons, 1. VGA and DVI supports more refrash rate options (not to mention resolutions too) 2. Devloper have no idea which one you use so they make game universal and let you set or do that for you Higher FPS is useless waste of power if you use lower refrash rate then fps you have, you display simply not able to show all the frames that device generates

Top Bottom