• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT8| - Sunderland 0

Doesn't affect me at all on PC games.

Though I guess PC monitors refresh rates are higher than TVs? dunno that stuff

The fact that you don't know tells me you've got a regular 60Hz monitor.

lazy copy pasta

Displays refresh once every 16ms, which means 60 times per second. This is where Vsync comes in (you want to sync what is rendered to the display refresh rate).

So at 60fps, you display one new rendered frame every time the screen refreshes, at 30fps you display a new frame on every 2nd display refresh.
The problem with 45fps, is that you'd have uneven display timing. Even frames would be displayed after one refresh, while odd frames would display after 2 refreshes.

So the time between frames being displayed on the monitor (not time to render) would be 16ms, 33ms, 16ms, 33ms, 16ms ..... Which would look like 'judder'.

Wolfsburg saying Bendtner needs to improve his attitude. Bendtner not called up for the national team... It's time to come back to Copenhagen.

Ah. Judder. I see.

My schedule for tonight. City and then Nintendo Direct.

1318141701864.gif

First you will get fucked by CSKA. Then it will be Nintendos turn.

KidJr

I am in software development and work as a Product Manager.

You choose some minimum goals you want to achieve in terms of performance for your software. You may also choose the ideal goals where you would eventually want it to end up at. In some cases, these could be the same.

Initial development though will be done with minimum goals in mind. Once you have something there, you can then look at performance it is giving and see if it can be improved.

E.g. you have with COD:AW, it was 900p on XB1 till now. Which must be their minimum target. They then tried to get it up higher and ended up with 1360x1080p dynamic scaling, which probably was not their ideal but something that got them closest to it.

By the time we mostly hear about games, they have been in development long enough to know what would be achievable at the minimum. Unless the game is Last Guardian.

I work as a search consultant in artificial intelligence so although I don't code for a job myself I talk to people who do day in day out, as well as product managers so I understand the SDLC and I have no problem understanding code (C++/Python)

Yeah I mean I don't think what we are saying is too dissimilar? You set your targets (minimum or not) your tech lead may even come back to a person like you and say no if 1080p and 60fps is our target these are the compromises we'd have to make in the game design due time, resource or watever it may be?

Which is why I dont think why I think my expectations are perfectly in check.For someone like Ubi, is it worth the time it would take for them to say lets look at our source engine code and spend months gaining 5% here 10% there and we both know when something is bound to go wrong (I'm yet to ever hear of a product that has been code has been written perfectly clean and to production standard from day 1) and all this for one system. It wouldnt make sense for Ubi to do that, their not a tech innovator nor do the claim to be, their goal (as with most) will be to put out a product that runs and plays smoothly within a given time frame.

However when your talking about first party studios the technical bar is understandably higher, not that they dont face the same development time and resource constraints that say Ubi do but they have access too sooooooo many more tools that will make the life cycle easier for them.

Hence why when people say 1080p 60fps isnt possible, I'm like no, devs can and understandbly choose not to go for that its not easy, infact I can imagine it'd be a f*cking ball ache. Thats fine but there will be many game developers that do seem themselves of exhibitionists of tech and will set that standard for themselves as a minimum.

Scum

Who's going to provide the footy lols tonight then?

No doubt. With some games I would take 30fps with just overall better graphics. But racers, FPS's, and fighting games 60fps is important as fuck, but I would be well happy with 30fps silent hills.

People expecting Ubisoft to give two shits about optimizing frame rate and resolution for PS4 over Xbone though? You can hardly even expect them to not break the pc version.

M8's, they are like Woodwards busy striking deals like:

NHYp9vq.jpg

Most of the audience ain't old enough to shave.

wjANVCD.jpg

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I heard somebody pronounce CSKA as a word today. that's not right, is it? I always thought it was C S K A Moscow not Sesska Moscow. weird.

KidJr

lol this isnt the place for this kinda chat, soz.

In other news Arteta out for three to four weeks. Not that I rate him in the slightest but it's worrying how the same players repeatidly keep getting injured.

FootballFan

I work as a search consultant in artificial intelligence so although I don't code for a job myself I talk to people who do day in day out, as well as product managers so I understand the SDLC and I have no problem understanding code (C++/Python)

Yeah I mean I don't think what we are saying is too dissimilar? You set your targets (minimum or not) your tech lead may even come back to a person like you and say no if 1080p and 60fps is our target these are the compromises we'd have to make in the game design due time, resource or watever it may be?

Which is why I dont think why I think my expectations are perfectly in check.For someone like Ubi, is it worth the time it would take for them to say lets look at our source engine code and spend months gaining 5% here 10% there and we both know when something is bound to go wrong (I'm yet to ever hear of a product that has been code has been written perfectly clean and to production standard from day 1) and all this for one system. It wouldnt make sense for Ubi to do that, their not a tech innovator nor do the claim to be, their goal (as with most) will be to put out a product that runs and plays smoothly within a given time frame.

However when your talking about first party studios the technical bar is understandably higher, not that they dont face the same development time and resource constraints that say Ubi do but they have access too sooooooo many more tools that will make the life cycle easier for them.

Hence why when people say 1080p 60fps isnt possible, I'm like no, devs can and understandbly choose not to go for that its not easy, infact I can imagine it'd be a f*cking ball ache. Thats fine but there will be many game developers that do seem themselves of exhibitionists of tech and will set that standard for themselves as a minimum.

KS2NC5B.gif

Linius

Around the time I'll catch the train after the Ajax game the Nintendo Direct is about to start, I'll follow it on Twitter.

Facism

Gold Member
Finished TLOU dlc.

Amazing game all round.

yup. ps3/360 gotg is this gen's goty. Absolutely brilliant package,would play the mp again if i could find a cheap-as-tile-hill-hooker ps+ sub. The asking price as-is is £35 too much for online play. couldn't give a shit about the instant game collection.

Top Bottom