• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT8| - Sunderland 0

Wilbur

Banned
A cone.

Has it really come to the point where that is a question, asked with a straight face no doubt?

How about a CB? Are we defining Downing's spot as a central midfielder? Cork, Cattermole, Powell, Carroll, Chalobah, Shelvey, Baker, Loftus-Cheek... basically players who haven't had a chance but have potential.

I am not against this idea.

Point being, what you do at club level as we have seen for a while now has no bearing on international football. Being able to keep the ball, managing the pace of the game and play under pressure are more important than what our club football emphasises. Trying players out and seeing what sticks seems a better option to me than playing someone we know can't play at that level.

It just seems odd to me to rip into a player for performing well against shit premier league defences but then suggest a number of players who a) haven't performed well or b) haven't performed at all.

What is the point of Nick Powell playing eight minutes for England in a friendly when he can't get a game for Leicester? Out of that list, only Shelvey and Cattermole have any right beating Downing to a place on current form.

It's the same argument you're bound to make with someone like Hart or Rooney. "They're playing poorly, they don't deserve their place."

Downing does, because he's playing well and it's naive to assume his form will automatically disappear the second he's in an England shirt (other than the fact Hodgson is in charge).

It's a silly argument, based off nothing except some noble want to see some youngsters blooded.

Hixx

Cattermole's form in the last 3 or 4 games has been pretty poor. Don't have any problem with him not being in this squad.

bud

0-4. against a belgian side.
ib2prFi25kEdBe.png

absolutely sensational.

D_prOdigy

Lol.

Usho, your analogy is highly applicable.

Levy stands at the farmer's market stall.

Chirpily hands over Stamboulli and Fazio to Poch

And THERE'S the reveal of the Lidl bag

MoPo admirably manages a polite grin

Top Bottom