• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT8| - Sunderland 0

Simeone wanna dethrone Guile the title with the stupidest haircut ever.

B2o8VmSIgAAl3x9.jpg

need to cover that bald patch somehow.

bud

haha, you could always see his scalp before. you can't anymore. i don't think having long thin hair would make any difference in that regard.

either way, i think his hair looks pretty cool. it's not quite gyllenhaal in prisoners or pitt in boardwalk, but it looks pretty fucking cool on him.

Salazar

I'm staggered that anyone above the age of 3 thinks that "is 10 mean perfick" can yield an interesting or somehow conclusive discussion.

what purpose does a scored review for a year old game really serve

edit: what purpose does any scored review serve

Well Silent Hill hd collection was 10 years old and they managed to ruin that. The bad review scores was at least a good STAY AWAY sign, to all the people too lazy to read the reviews, which is most. I don't even read them, I just watch videos.

bud

it's a year old game. remastered. for next-gen consoles.
fenrJmj.png

gt4 ran at 60fps in 1080i.
jsEsxkl.png

polyphony, please come back.

GorillaJu

Why does everyone get so hard for performance numbers? Is it because they're numbers so its easy to compare bigger and smaller ones? There are like a gajillion variables in what makes a game good or not, but the one thing that gets everyone's attention is performance.

it's a year old game. remastered. for next-gen consoles.
fenrJmj.png

gt4 ran at 60fps in 1080i.
jsEsxkl.png

polyphony, please come back.

There's a huge difference from having one track in GT4 loaded up, compared to the much larger world of GTA, that has to constantly load stuff up and have a certain random numbers of cars, people and things happening. Put on top of that Rockstar being the developer, it was never going to be stable 60fps, on any platform. Btw GT5 and GT6 both had quite a few frame rate drops too.
jsEsxkl.png

Why does everyone get so hard for performance numbers? Is it because they're numbers so its easy to compare bigger and smaller ones? There are like a gajillion variables in what makes a game good or not, but the one thing that gets everyone's attention is performance.

Because that is usually what differentiates the versions on each platform and that it is rather important? It's obviously not going to make a bad game good, but it can be pretty fucking annoying with a game that is running badly.

kharma45

There's a huge difference from having one track in GT4 loaded up, compared to the much larger world of GTA, that has to constantly load stuff up and have a certain random numbers of cars, people and things happening. Put on top of that Rockstar being the developer, it was never going to be stable 60fps, on any platform. Btw GT5 and GT6 both had quite a few frame rate drops too.
jsEsxkl.png

It also dropped the resolution dynamically to help maintain the frame rate.

GorillaJu

Because that is usually what differentiates the versions on each platform and that it is rather important?

Is "I have a PS4 and a Bone, but which one version should I buy?" Really all that big of a concern for people?

How many people actually have both systems right now, and need to wait for a performance analysis to know what version they're going to get? If it's just a matter of which console to buy it for, why does "X game is only 900p!" always a 50+ page thread, even if its a console exclusive?

I feel like there are two groups of people: number fetishists, and people who play games.

Is "I have a PS4 and a Bone, but which one version should I buy?" Really all that big of a concern for people?

How many people actually have both systems right now, and need to wait for a performance analysis to know what version they're going to get? If it's just a matter of which console to buy it for, why does "X game is only 900p!" always a 50+ page thread, even if its a console exclusive?

I feel like there are two groups of people: number fetishists, and people who play games.

Hixx and Quiche that I know of in this thread.
nCUoKLR.png

Writing resolution and frame rate down to number fetishism is being stupid. As I added in, performance is also rather important to the experience and 900p vs 1080p is easily enough noticeable.

Of course this being GAF, things are taken to the extreme, especially when it comes to console wars. The threads are huge because there's lots of people who wants to laugh at microsoft still, and there's a whole bunch of people who will be in there with your same argument saying "it doesn't matter, just play the video games!".

GorillaJu

Wooden I'm not saying it doesn't matter, I'm saying I don't get the point of making it such a big deal. Like of all the sticking points to have, the thing people get riled up most about are performance numbers.

Wooden I'm not saying it doesn't matter, I'm saying I don't get the point of making it such a big deal. Like of all the sticking points to have, the thing people get riled up most about are performance numbers.

I always saw a way bigger deal being made out of resolutions in gaming side, but then I don't really follow games too closely over there. Whatever, people can obsess about whatever they care for, I would certainly want the best performing game if I had any of the consoles too.

Luckily I'm a part of the pc master race and don't need to concern myself with these things.
CNB1W6d.png

My pc is pretty old, but I can't upgrade until next year. :(

People get riled up about many things in gaming, it's just that performance numbers tend to be out in the open before we get our hands on a game, and thus are one of the first things we can definitively comment on (or scrutinize, as the case may be). The comments are bound to get heated when the hard numbers contradict what the developer / publisher has been promising.

Once the game is the played, the discussion spans any number of topics, which may include level design, difficulty curves, world building, controls...etc

Wilbur

Banned
the only thing that matters is whether a game is good or shit

i can usually tell in the first hour

and i don't even know what all those numbers mean

i am a gamer

L1NETT

Wooden as long as you've upgraded by February you'll be grand. I mean.....

iXiawbXbAJSuc.gif

Speaking of PC stuff, if anyone fancies a game of Crusader Kings II hit me up. Wanna have a bang on the mp stuff.

Konami are the biggest cunts in the world. Would it have been too hard to put a cancel button in during matchmaking? I am stuck watching it not find an opponent for the last couple of minutes.

MGS online really has me worried. i can only hope Kojima does everything himself,

Wooden as long as you've upgraded by February you'll be grand. I mean.....

iXiawbXbAJSuc.gif

Speaking of PC stuff, if anyone fancies a game of Crusader Kings II hit me up. Wanna have a bang on the mp stuff.

I'm on nothing but handhelds from February until September. Maybe by then the ultimate edition or something will have been announced and I can get it for even cheaper.
HVDcRns.png

The match winner in the Warrington - Exeter game is banned from the 2nd round because he was sent off for swearing at the referee in a league game and will be suspended for three games. Moron.

Hixx

Well, yeah. I want the best performance. I've got a PC that can SMASH THE FUCK out stuff and if the game isn't on that, I will get the best performing console version.

Why would I not try to get the best version?

Help me understand, odd. Compare it with coats or scarves if you have to.

GorillaJu

Well, yeah. I want the best performance. I've got a PC that can SMASH THE FUCK out stuff and if the game isn't on that, I will get the best performing console version.

Why would I not try to get the best version?

Help me understand, odd. Compare it with coats or scarves if you have to.

Okay.

If I see people comparing details like hand stitching, hand-made button holes vs. machine-made, etc. I think, "Sure those details matter if the coat fits well and has a good design" but most coats don't fit well, and don't have great designs. The ones that are designed really well are super rare, and when one of those comes along I don't care if the buttonholes are hand made. Yeah it's great when it's both a great fit and has meticulous quality, but I care about the former far more than I care about the latter.

So then a new coat is announced, or whatever they do for coats, and it comes to light that it won't have hand made buttonholes, nor will it have hand stitching. People are pissed. Angered. They refuse to order the coat. They will not be fooled into buying this coat that doesn't have exceptional quality. But then the coat comes out, and some people go and try it on and it fits brilliantly. Those people will go and enjoy their new coat and forgive the lack of hand made buttonholes, because fit and style is the most important thing, and meticulous details always come secondarily--yet so many people continue to bicker over whether or not the buttonholes are hand made.

And since in my example I'm a big fan of coat design, I get bothered by the fact that the conversation is dominated so heavily by something that isn't near the top of the list of priorities.

Wenger: Arsenal Came *This* Close

"I remember seeing [insert world class player] and thinking how dominant he was in a holding midfield role," Wenger said. "He would have been perfect for us, but unfortunately [insert rival club] came in for him and the deal never happened.

"The progress [insert world class player] has made since then indicates that my initial call was correct. I admire the progress he has made. He now looks to be one of the best defensive midfielders in Europe. We wish him well."

Arsenal supporters have reacted with sympathy at hearing the news.

"It's great to hear that our manager came so close to bringing such a big name to the club," said Ivor Ash of Islington. "We might have the most expensive season tickets in Europe - I paid £1,014 for the cheapest available - but that cost pales into insignificance when you consider who we almost signed."

"The fact that Wenger spotted the player at all proves he hasn't lost any of his ability or appetite for the job," said Juan King of Brent. "Other managers would sign such players without considered judgement, but our boss backs himself to find better. That's half the battle won."

Long-term season ticket holder Peter Gill took a more philosophical view. "In a way I'm glad that we didn't sign [insert world class player]," he said. "I don't think I could have stomached seeing him win the title with City last season."

#bantz

GorillaJu

Sanchez has a lot of similarities with Suarez, but while Sanchez is an extremely good footballer, Suarez has a certain special brilliance. I wish we had gotten him instead of Arsenal, though. Would have been the closest thing to a replacement for Suarez that you can get even if a downgrade in the end.

Congrats on beating cancer and all. But he really should have gone to a better tattoo artist. Forgetting to capitalize M... The tiny I that is squeezed in after no doubt forgetting it, pls

5XpImRM.jpg

Thing about Witcher 3 is that I bet my brand new GTX 980 will still struggle to run it maxed out.

The way it should be. Having supersampling and all that jazz in the options is nice, even if mostly for people playing it 5 years down the road who can then finally enable it all and run it maxed out.

Top Bottom