• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT9| - How the Snitch stole all the banter

Pretty disappointing Liverpool lineup, imo.

Mignolet, Manquillo, Skrtel, Toure, Johnson, Lucas, Allen, Gerrard, Henderson, Sterling, Lambert.

Andy Townsend said:

1. No Moreno, don't understand that
2. Lovren dropped deservedly
3. Gerrard not the sole DM
4. Henderson's pressing is vital in away games in particular, when he's on form

Seems it will be Henderson on the right of a 4-3-3, which could be problematic. Firstly, it negates most of his pressing ability if he's constrained to one flank. Secondly, he's just not very good on the wing.

Unless its a very narrow diamond with Sterling up top with Lambert. Ludogorets battered us on the wings last time though, so that seems a bit odd.

Empty

you look at that liverpool lineup for a vital champions league game and it's basically interchangeable with the lineup of any midtable premier league team. there's some injuries ofc but i don't understand how that can happen on a champions league budget. so average.

ZENIT

Fuck off Benfica

reddeadredemptionnigel.jpg

Feorax

3. Gerrard not the sole DM
4. Henderson's pressing is vital in away games in particular, when he's on form

Seems it will be Henderson on the right of a 4-3-3, which could be problematic. Firstly, it negates most of his pressing ability if he's constrained to one flank. Secondly, he's just not very good on the wing.

Unless its a very narrow diamond with Sterling up top with Lambert. Ludogorets battered us on the wings last time though, so that seems a bit odd.

I'd quite like to see Gerrard on the right of a 3 in a 4-2-3-1. He can put in some good crosses from that area, and if he does lose the ball or get targeted, at least there's still a DM, a fullback and a centre half to cover.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Have been meaning to play it for ages. Might do it tomorrow. How long is it?

There's a demo if you want to try, it has more or less the same dynamic as the full game. But for $5 it's worth a buy.

I'd quite like to see Gerrard on the right of a 3 in a 4-2-3-1. He can put in some good crosses from that area, and if he does lose the ball or get targeted, at least there's still a DM, a fullback and a centre half to cover.

Yeah, agreed

Have we ever played a traditional 4-2-3-1 under Rodgers though?

If Kuyt could do it, Gerrard surely can, without the defensive nous though

Shagwell

Yeah, agreed

Have we ever played a traditional 4-2-3-1 under Rodgers though?

If Kuyt could do it, Gerrard surely can, without the defensive nous though

If I'm not mistaken I think in the second half at Palace this weekend we actually switched from the diamond to a 4231, if you look carefully.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Sanogo starting? FFS Wenger that's just spitting in Campbell's face.

Shagwell

See, but with Simon "worse than Dracula" Mignolet between the sticks and Glen Johnson at left back it feels as if you've automatically negated the calming presence you've brought in in Kolo. The amount of pressure the both of them put us under time and again is incredible. So if we're going for a disciplined, no-nonsense, possession-holding team in a tricky European away, the inclusion of Johnson is absolutely baffling. Baffling. The lad makes me cringe. Can only assume that something is wrong with Moreno that isn't being reported.

EDIT: I also personally think that Raheem could've done with starting on the bench as he looks exhausted mentally, but I could also see the problem with us totally lacking any directness not having him in the lineup.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
See, but with Simon "worse than Dracula" Mignolet between the sticks and Glen Johnson at left back it feels as if you've automatically negated the calming presence you've brought in in Kolo. The amount of pressure the both of them put us under time and again is incredible. So if we're going for a disciplined, no-nonsense, possession-holding team in a tricky European away, the inclusion of Johnson is absolutely baffling. Baffling. The lad makes me cringe. Can only assume that something is wrong with Moreno that isn't being reported.

EDIT: I also personally think that Raheem could've done with starting on the bench as he looks exhausted mentally, but I could also see the problem with us totally lacking any directness not having him in the lineup.
How is he worse than Dracula :lol

Clean sheet for Garay. I could be a football scout. Benfica out. Just desserts for Lambda and rvy.

c9cc6355394b1dcc460b3851f68ecbb5f62fa5e4.jpg

'That, Brendan, is the bona fide, genuine 24-carat next Messi'

Shagwell

How is he worse than Dracula :lol

Hahaha did you not see the article? That's a direct quote from Bruce Grobelaar.

“Yes he’s a great shot-stopper; I was slaughtered last year by Liverpool fans saying that I’m being too harsh on him. I’m not being too harsh. Not at all.

“I’ve likened him ‘worse than Dracula’ because at least Dracula comes out of his coffin now and then. He [Mignolet] seems to stay on his line and that’s it.

“In this modern day and age, in modern goalkeeping, if you come out and you catch the ball and you get smacked, you’re going to get the foul.

“It’s not rocket science....You’re going to get a lot more fouls for you and less are going to go in the back of the net.”

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Hahaha did you not see the article? That's a direct quote from Bruce Grobelaar.

“Yes he’s a great shot-stopper; I was slaughtered last year by Liverpool fans saying that I’m being too harsh on him. I’m not being too harsh. Not at all.

“I’ve likened him ‘worse than Dracula’ because at least Dracula comes out of his coffin now and then. He [Mignolet] seems to stay on his line and that’s it.

“In this modern day and age, in modern goalkeeping, if you come out and you catch the ball and you get smacked, you’re going to get the foul.

“It’s not rocket science....You’re going to get a lot more fouls for you and less are going to go in the back of the net.”
OH MY GOD :lol

Meier

Kinda wanna buy Civ but I know it'll continue to drop and I probably won't play it at the mo due to so many PS4 games and Fantasy Life on my 3DS. I have only played FM for like 30 minutes...

Esch

Banned
Kinda wanna buy Civ but I know it'll continue to drop and I probably won't play it at the mo due to so many PS4 games and Fantasy Life on my 3DS. I have only played FM for like 30 minutes...

You talking Beyond Earth? As a Civ V stan... Don't get it yet man, it's nowhere near a great game yet. Wait all the way till the expansion.

Meier

Good start to this round of games.

Lj9BbeE.png

You talking Beyond Earth? As a Civ V stan... Don't get it yet man, it's nowhere near a great game yet. Wait all the way till the expansion.

Yep. Alpha Centauri is my favorite PC game ever so the concept of Civ in space is right up my alley but I've held out thus far. Only 30% off currently.. I always get boned on Civ games with the Steam sales and wonder why I bought any individual DLC on top of the games and/or expansions at anything close to retail.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
" Before that 'unlucky' Atletico defeat, Malmo had been unbeaten in eight consecutive UEFA home ties with eight clean sheets. "

:lol motherfuck

I wonder if Rodgers really can't see how poor Gerrard's been, or if he still doesn't feel that his position at the club is concrete enough to deal with the fallout when Gerrard becomes a squad player.

Either is very worrying.

LTWheels

Ugh, our line up.

Where's Morneo, Can, Coutinho.

I've been told there is a blog post by a Reading fan about when Rodgers got sacked from Reading. The way they were playing and how they would be beaten, sounds identical to what is happening with this Liverpool team. Worse part is that instead of making changes, apparently he got more stubborn and kept sticking with the same players and tactics...

Top Bottom