• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/2015 |OT10| -Proud Of Our Heritage-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

I honestly can't imagine anyone playing U2 at the time it was released and thinking that of the game / series. It was quite similar to TLoU in terms of it being a somewhat defining game for the platform.

Every Uncharted is hampered by the same thing IMO. Starts out great and then gets completely bogged down by the weird requirement to include supernatural elements and enemies that are always terrible. The beginning with the snow and whatnot was absolutely incredible in Uncharted 2 but then without fail it all goes downhill from there.

Wilbur

Banned
Every Uncharted is hampered by the same thing IMO. Starts out great and then gets completely bogged down by the weird requirement to include supernatural elements and enemies that are always terrible. The beginning with the snow and whatnot was absolutely incredible in Uncharted 2 but then without fail it all goes downhill from there.

Train sequence is best.

There's so much great stuff that happens before the supernatural stuff in 1&2 imo. Especially the second, there's like 8 hours of bossness before the
fake Yetis
are introduced, and even during and after that there are some of the best areas.

Cider X

Uncharted's insane popularity comes mostly from console warz fanboys who after many years found one game to get one over Xbots. It has amazing graphics, and impressively done set pieces, but it falters in many other ways. Puzzles can't be possibly called puzzles because there is no challenge or thought to any of them. Platforming is alright, but nothing amazing. Certainly not as well designed as something like PoP Sands of Time. And there's enough padding in Uncharted games to make winter clothes for all of Iceland. Fuck, the third game was alright I thought, but how many times do I have to fucking quicktime brawl with that bald dude in the exact same sequence of punches?

It's a great series, top ten material for the console, but way overblown.

I disagree. I've preferred Xbox since the first console launched in 2001 and I think Uncharted 2 is one of the best games ever made.

Zabojnik

I politely disagree. Might be argued for U1, not so much for U2.

Meier

Train sequence is best.

Well, all downhill from there is more a sentiment than anything. There are very good sequences in each game beyond the first act, but the final third or so of each game is an absolute let down that hampers them as a whole. 2 is absolutely the best of the series though, no question.

To me, The Last of Us rode a high throughout. I enjoyed it all. I thought they did a really wonderful job of almost changing genres at times and still keeping the feeling and quality consistent. The winter section of TLOU was so freaking intense with almost none of the "fungus monster" stuff as I recall. Can't wait to play the DLC one of these days.

Meier

European people seem to have a much stronger affinity for the Playstation brand which affects things in both ways (more positivity for them and less for me). I don't think any Sony developed title has ever compared to Nintendo when they're at their best.

Being a little younger and growing up with a Playstation as a first console as opposed to an NES or something also shapes perspectives and bias.

Oh, and Danny McBride might be the greatest person in the world

I wish Your Highness wasn't so underwhelming. :(

Blablurn

European people seem to have a much stronger affinity for the Playstation brand which affects things in both ways (more positivity for them and less for me). I don't think any Sony developed title has ever compared to Nintendo when they're at their best.

Being a little younger and growing up with a Playstation as a first console as opposed to an NES or something also shapes perspectives and bias.

I wish Your Highness wasn't so underwhelming. :(

we grew up with the snes but since nintendo totally fucked up with the n64 everyone jumped on the playstation train. so did i <3

L1NETT

Apologies is old
Revealed: Premier League clubs charge up to £600 for children to be mascots

premfaces even emptying the piggy banks of kids

outrageous. (to be fair only about half the prem teams)

Queens Park Rangers and Swansea City both charge £450 plus VAT for their packages while West Ham&#8217;s prices range from £350-£600 depending on the fixture.

The packages vary between £250-400 at Tottenham, £300-400 at Leicester City, £150-425 at Crystal Palace and £330-390 at Stoke. Burnley, West Bromwich Albion and Hull City also charge, while Newcastle United&#8217;s corporate hospitality packages of £3,000-4,000 include mascot places.

Others do not charge at all: Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Southampton and Sunderland.

the average cost of the cheapest matchday ticket for an adult rising by more than 15% in the past three years.

For juniors, the prices are significantly cheaper and most clubs offer reduced rates for cup games. However, the dearest junior matchday tickets at Arsenal, Manchester City, QPR, Leicester, Southampton and West Ham are £30 or more.

Meier

I dunno why, but I never really played Bioware games back on PC. I was all in starting on Xbox though.. played em all since. I was more of a Sierra point and click (or type) fan than a traditional WRPG PC fan. I was mostly into MUDs (Simutronics) and then Everquest and eventually WoW as far as RPGs went.

This was my life for many years (DragonRealms):

maxresdefault.jpg

Wilbur

Banned
Bloodbourne is a potential GOAT

Or at least, based on my love of Souls games, a GOTG contender

Really wish i could get into demons/dark souls. Don't feel comfortable playing without a guide. When i do, the trial and error of it just frustrates me.

Great design and good gameplay though.

Really wish i could get into demons/dark souls. Don't feel comfortable playing without a guide. When i do, the trial and error of it just frustrates me.

Great design and good gameplay though.

I can't speak for Demons, but for Dark you really don't need a guide. Useful to have a tab open on a browser for items, but I never felt lost on where to go.

Wilbur

Banned

Under the Skin received positive reviews. The review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes gives the film a score of 86% based on reviews from 183 critics, with a rating average of 7.9/10. The site's consensus states: "Its message may prove elusive for some, but with absorbing imagery and a mesmerizing performance from Scarlett Johansson, Under the Skin is a haunting viewing experience." Another review aggregator, Metacritic, which assigns a rating out of 100 top reviews from mainstream critics, calculated a score of 78 out of 100 based on 42 reviews, signifying "generally favorable reviews." Indiewire listed the film as the second-best film of the first half of 2014, with its average critic rating being an A-.

Xan Brooks of The Guardian gave Under the Skin five out of five and called it "far and away the best picture" in the Venice Film Festival. Peter Bradshaw, also of The Guardian, said it was "visually stunning and deeply disturbing," and gave the film a perfect score of five stars, along with Andrew Lowry of Total Film, Dave Calhoun of Time Out, and Kate Muir of The Times. Robbie Collin of The Daily Telegraph also gave it five stars, and wrote: "if my legs hadn't been so wobbly and my mouth so dry, I would have climbed up on my seat and cheered." Richard Roeper gave the film an A+ and four out of four stars, stating, "This is what we talk about when we talk about film as art," while Christy Lemire also awarded the film a perfect four-star review, calling it an "undeniably haunting, singular experience," as well as calling it one of the best films of 2014. Jon Espino of the Young Folks praised the film, giving it 9 out of 10 stars and calling it "easily one of the most visually haunting films of 2014."

Top ten lists

1st — The Playlist
1st — The Guardian
1st — Brian Formo, CraveOnline
1st — Slant Magazine
1st — Metro New York
1st — Tiny Mix Tapes
1st — British Film Institute readers
1st — Robbie Collin, The Daily Telegraph
1st — Matt Brennan, Thompson on Hollywood
1st — Stephanie Zacharek, The Village Voice
1st — Alison Willmore, BuzzFeed
1st — RogerEbert.com
1st — Andrew Shearer, Athens Banner-Herald

2nd — Boston Online Film Critics Association
2nd — The Guardian readers
2nd — Dublin Film Critics' Circle
2nd — Justin Chang, Variety
2nd — Rob Hunter, Film School Rejects

3rd — Cahiers du cinéma
3rd — David Ehrlich, Little White Lies
3rd — Fandor
3rd — Omar P.L Moore, The Popcorn Reel
3rd — Out
3rd — Pat Padua, DCist
3rd — Matt Mueller, Thompson on Hollywood
3rd — Simon Miraudo, Quickflix
3rd — The Dissolve
3rd — Christy Lemire, ChristyLemire.com

4th — Matt Singer, ScreenCrush
4th — Time Out London

5th — Sight & Sound
5th — J. Hoberman, Artforum
5th — Joshua Rothkopf, Time Out New York
5th — Film Comment
5th — Little White Lies
5th — Witney Seibold, CraveOnline
5th — Jesse Hassenger, L Magazine
5th — The A.V. Club

6th — Ann Hornaday, The Washington Post

7th — David Sexton, London Evening Standard

8th — Bill Goodykoontz, The Arizona Republic

9th — Peter Travers, Rolling Stone

9th — Ryan Lattanzio, Thompson on Hollywood

No order — Peter Bradshaw, The Guardian
No order — New York Film Critics Online Awards
No order — Edgar Wright
No order — The Irish Times
No order — Polygon
No order — Leigh Clark, The Huffington Post
No order — Darryl Webber, Crawley News
No order — B. H. Martin, UTV Media

and i'm the one with the out of kilter opinion

Elchele

and i'm the one with the out of kilter opinion

like critics' opinion mean shit. It's like in art, they will go according to the current "hip" thing and hype it.

Under the Skin could have been a great film, but it is pure shit aside from the cinematography/art direction part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom