• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/2015 |OT10| -Proud Of Our Heritage-

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys also missed this last night.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=955165

0Htl34i.png

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I don't believe anything I see on Reddit. It's so full of marketing types these days I wouldn't be surprised to find out it's a playstation ad.

Scum

TRANSFER GOSSIP
Liverpool are prepared to make a £50m bid for Real Madrid's French forward Karim Benzema, 26, in the January transfer window. (Daily Express)
Manchester United will try to sign Valencia defender Nicolas Otamendi, 26, if they fail to capture their top target, Borussia Dortmund's 26-year-old centre-half Mats Hummels. (Daily Express)
Tottenham and Liverpool are keen to sign Porto's 28-year-old forward Jackson Martinez in January. (Metro)
The Reds are also interested in Aston Villa midfielder Fabian Delph and see the 25-year-old as a long-term replacement for Steven Gerrard, 34. (Daily Mirror)
Atletico Madrid centre-half Diego Godin, 28, a transfer target for Chelsea, dismisses a move to the Premier League and says he wants to stay at the La Liga champions. (Daily Star)
Manchester United are prepared to spend more than £30m on new players in January to strengthen their defence and midfield. (Manchester Evening News)
Cardiff City boss Russell Slade is expecting a busy transfer window at the Championship club. "There will be players coming in - and a number going out," says Slade. (Wales Online)
Southampton's Dutch manager Ronald Koeman says his side will not bid for Netherlands and Galatasaray midfielder Wesley Sneijder, 30, as they would not be able to afford his wages . (FourFourTwo)
Wolves are set to sign Iceland attacking midfielder Gudmundur Thorarinsson, 22, from Norwegian top-flight side Sarpsborg 08. (Birmingham Mail)
French side Lille want to sign Sunderland striker Jozy Altidore, 25, on a loan deal in January, but the Black Cats are hoping for a permanent move. (Sunderland Echo)
West Ham striker Carlton Cole, 31, wants to stay with the Hammers, despite starting only one Premier League game since August. (London Evening Standard)

OTHER GOSSIP
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has urged midfielder Raheem Sterling, 20, to sign an extended, improved contract. (Daily Telegraph)
Manchester United midfielder Marouane Fellaini, 27, believes a rejuvenated side under Louis van Gaal could yet still win the Premier League this season, with a top-four finish a minimum requirement. (The Times, subscription required)
Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard has offered his support to Merseyside rival and Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet, 26, as he faces the possibility of a lengthy spell on the sidelines. (Daily Express)
West Ham striker Diafra Sakho, 24, wants an improved contract, despite signing a four-year deal when he joined the Hammers in the summer. (Daily Mail)
Former Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez, who has been linked with a move back to his former club, says he remains committed to current club Napoli, and has turned down two job offers recently. (Talksport)
Stoke boss Mark Hughes wants striker Peter Crouch to sign a new contract. The 33-year-old's current deal expires at the end of the season. (Daily Mirror)
Three Tottenham fans who ran on to the pitch wearing T-shirts with a sponsor's name on and caused a Europa League game to be suspended for 10 minutes have been banned from attending football matches until 2018. (Guardian)
Aston Villa striker Darren Bent, 30, who is on loan at Championship club Brighton, has had £150,000 worth of supercars stolen from his Staffordshire home. The burglars took a Range Rover and an Audi RS6. (Birmingham Mail)
Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard, 35, says Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers will ruin the career of Reds keeper Simon Mignolet, 26. (Sun, subscription required)
Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero is expected to return to action a month ahead of schedule after suffering a knee injury earlier this month. The 26-year-old was expected to be out for two months, but could be back in early January. (Sun, subscription required)
Tottenham midfielder Christian Eriksen, 22, can become as good as Spurs legends Paul Gascoigne and Glenn Hoddle, says defender Jan Vertonghen. (London Evening Standard)
Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert says he remains a close friend of Roy Keane, despite the Irishman leaving his role as assistant manager in November. (Times, subscription required)
Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil, 26, has criticised his team-mates for conceding "unnecessary goals". (Daily Star)
Meanwhile, Arsenal have been given an early Christmas present with the news that forward Theo Walcott, 25, is in line for a return to action against Liverpool on Sunday after returning to training following a long-term groin injury. (Daily Mail)
Southampton striker Jay Rodriguez, 25, has suffered an injury setback and will not make his long-awaited return to action until February. (Daily Mirror)

BEST OF SOCIAL MEDIA
Arsenal midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain had a mixed reception from children when he and his team-mates visited them in hospital. The England international wrote on Instagram: "Nice to see some of the kids at the Royal Free Hospital today to give them some Christmas presents. Best moment of the day was when we surprised one of them and the first thing they said with a straight face was, 'I don't even like Arsenal. Can we get some Liverpool players?'"
Injured Manchester United defender Luke Shaw wrote on Twitter: "Working hard on my recovery everyday, I will be back stronger. Can't wait to get on the pitch again, thank you everyone for your support."
Former Newcastle goalkeeper Steve Harper backs Jak Alnwick to perform well against Sunderland after making mistakes during his side's 4-0 League Cup defeat at Tottenham on Wednesday. Harper wrote on Twitter: "Rather than criticism, Jak Alnwick needs a proper Geordie reception when he runs out on Sunday lunchtime to give him a lift before the game. Get behind the young lad by singing his name to pick him up and watch him grow in response to it. #toonarmy."

AND FINALLY...
A 12-year-old leukaemia patient, who lost her hair during treatment, got Manchester United players Wayne Rooney, Robin van Persie and Juan Mata, and assistant manager Ryan Giggs, to sign the top of her head. (Daily Mirror)
Celtic striker and former Wolves player Leigh Griffiths has offered to buy a five-year-old boy Christmas gifts after his home was burgled. (Scotsman)

Arsenal midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain had a mixed reception from children when he and his team-mates visited them in hospital. The England international wrote on Instagram: "Nice to see some of the kids at the Royal Free Hospital today to give them some Christmas presents. Best moment of the day was when we surprised one of them and the first thing they said with a straight face was, 'I don't even like Arsenal. Can we get some Liverpool players?'"
Arnie, pls. Behave.

Linius

I don't believe anything I see on Reddit. It's so full of marketing types these days I wouldn't be surprised to find out it's a playstation ad.

Yeah, that could very well be the case. Reddit is huge. Oh well, if I was the guy on the receiving end I wouldn't give a damn if it's Sony or just a person, I'll take it :p

Carbonox

I started to read the first few sentences of that hug thread and then I started to wander off in to another realm. I blinked and found myself at the last few words, reading some of the responses and wondering what went wrong.

jts

...hate me...
I am from today a Vita bro.

*hugs other Vita bros in a totally non-sexual manner*
*really long and heartfelt hug and really non-sexual*

Carbonox

I think what I got from that hug thread is that lad mcphearson got turned on by his mum's hugs.

Is that a correct assessment. I don't want to read it again in case I wake up in Calais.
jbzcH0F5U6uMjI.png

Blablurn

I am from today a Vita bro.

*hugs other Vita bros in a totally non-sexual manner*
*really long and heartfelt hug and really non-sexual*

Welcome to the club, m8!

It's gonna be the same as with Pep. Impressive at first, but they will stagnate and forever stay on this level.

super, super Interview

yeah, but what do you expect? football is international. pep did the basic work. and the team follows him. of course his german interviews are kinda limited and boring, but i dont care as long as the team understands his philosophy.

Gambit

yeah, but what do you expect? football is international. pep did the basic work. and the team follows him. of course his german interviews are kinda limited and boring, but i dont care as long as the team understands his philosophy.

oh I agree. It's just a pattern that I have noticed with Spaniards, as opposed to say Dutch (who learn new langages as easily as they learn to dive)

Scum

I think what I got from that hug thread is that lad mcphearson got turned on by his mum's hugs.

Is that a correct assessment. I don't want to read it again in case I wake up in Calais.
jbzcH0F5U6uMjI.png

I got the impression that his mum has screwed up his head so he got all bothered when a woman came close for a hug. He's just over-thinking things. It his mum he should be worried about.

If you bought Arsenal, what would your first act be, Shanks?

Sack Wenger? Go over his or your new manager's head to buy players you want?

Would be hard to sack Wenger, I would tell him I plan to hire a director of football. Hopefully this would then be reason for him to leave.

I would then hire Dennis Bergkamp as director of football and appoint Leonardo as a director. He has some great contacts in the world of football and is responsible for attracting many top stars to Milan and PSG.

I would work with Dennis to find a manager who will play attractive football, but understands the nasty side of the game too. I would be interested in bringing in Vieira as manager. Because those midfield powerhouses seem to make great managers.

I would bring in Sacchi, to work on the youth side, because that seems to be the role he enjoys at the moment, and as my confidant. Hopefully we can address that fact that despite people going on about our youth academy being great, we have only produced three homegrown british players, Cole, Gibbs, and Wilshere, in the time Wenger has been here. I just don't think that is good enough.

I would not push my own favourite players on the team, it would be pretty easy to work out what league I would take from, but would encourage us to buy known quantities. The aim would be to buy or produce a player that is in the top 5 in the world at every position.

I would remove Ivan as CEO and take the role.

My objectives would be as follows.

1. The club to protagonists in every competition, with the aim to win the CL straight away. None of this project bullshit.
2. To become the best supported team in the world within 10 years
3. A complete overhaul of the youth teams to see them winning competitions at every level.
4. To have a player win the Ballon d'or while wearing an Arsenal shirt.
5. To have the highest revenue in the game within six years.
6. To have a top five player in every position within six years.

I would give the Dennis and Patrick a good few years with he job. I know my demands are tough and I will understand if we got knocked out by Bayern in a close match, or lost the league on goal difference.

But I would not be expecting them to settle for this fourth place trophy bullshit or out of everything by the start of March, and I don't believe they would either.

I think that the team I have built is quite strong. They all have vast footballing knowledge and expands the current footballing brains at the club from one to four.

I would also consider hiring Henry as global ambassador, but no footballing role.

Shanks, Bergkamp, Leonardo, Vieira, and Sacchi. The Arsenal dream team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom