• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/2015 |OT10| -Proud Of Our Heritage-

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm the most casual fan, most of what I know and watch is just picked up from my brother using my TV to watch it, while I'm on the laptop.

From what I've seen, he's a fucking terrible ODI captain. Aims for totals which are way too low, and doesn't contribute nearly enough runs of his own. He's only in the ODI team at all because he's the captain as far as I can tell, his mentality just isn't right for the way that format is going, with totals getting higher. Cook seems satisfied with 250, certainly judging by his own totals and run rates.

You can't be a top ODI team when you bat first with a negative mindset, teams see a low total, and just fearlessly smash you all over the field

Thing is, these are some fair points but its not Cook's fault that our resources and efforts ever since I've been watching cricket has always been on being the best test team. They constantly rest players for ODIs - like a lot of clubs for football do in cup competitions, they make it plainly clear ODIs are second to the Test matches until a World Cup or whatever is coming then all of a sudden we love ODIs - thats why we're shit at them.

Cook doesn't play in the T20 team, he's never been captain (afaik) and doesn't play - we're still completely and utterly shit, the issues with the shorter form of the game go much further than issues that can be solved now. Very few (read: 1-3) of our players get involved in the IPL or Australian T20 tournaments so they don't get the same experience as the other players do, like in football very few of our players go elsewhere and understand the game which is why Mitchell Johnson smashes us all over the park and to other teams he doesn't get the same results (as often to my knowledge)

The decision being made today is nothing more than the selectors shitting themselves, panicking and giving in to media pressure, if it wasn't they'd have made the decision earlier. I didn't agree with Peter Moores getting the coach job over Ashley Giles and I still don't.

Cook may not be right for the ODI team, but now they've wasted all this preparation time for nothing, and the best thing of all: Morgan is in worse form than Cook! Brilliant.

Don't have the faintest idea how we'll line up against Arsenal

Last 2 games we've been much improved in making chances, but looked no better at the back. So if we play like that on Sunday and our finishing isn't on point, we'll lose.

Sterling up front again? If Balotelli is back, Sterling and Balotelli?

Hope Sakho starts, Philippe Auclair seems to rate him pretty highly and there's a very good centreback in there

edit: Good timing Coldnoodle :D

Don't have the faintest idea how we'll line up against Arsenal

Last 2 games we've been much improved in making chances, but looked no better at the back. So if we play like that on Sunday and our finishing isn't on point, we'll lose.

Sterling up front again? If Balotelli is back, Sterling and Balotelli?

Hope Sakho starts, Philippe Auclair seems to rate him pretty highly and there's a very good centreback in there

460676392-brendan-rodgers-manager-of-liverpool-during-gettyimages.jpg

Looks like the same team including Jones

b3rWHTL.png

L1NETT

Said it before, so why not say it again

ECB is rotten to the core. Matey clique culture. Only reason Cook was captain in the first place. Downton is the worst of the lot. Every time i've interacted with the ECB made my skin crawl

Cook should never have been ODI captain in the first place. At least Morgan perversely bats better when he's captain.

anywho enough cricket chat might upset the regulars

----

Sanogo goin on loan?

Nah Jon Stead is twice the player that lanky buffoon is.

LegoArmo

Liverpool should definitely play both Balotelli and Sterling. I'd drop Gerrard and get some more energy in midfield, too.

In other news, I just bought Unity. Shame on me.

wedward

Sanogo goin on loan?

Nah Jon Stead is twice the player that lanky buffoon is.

David Ornstein @bbcsport_david · 4h 4 hours ago
Sanogo to leave Arsenal on loan in Jan. Another PL club most likely. #AFC want him to get game time & confidence. 1 goal in 19 since joining

Ornstein has spoken. jtb cries.

You guys should honestly take Sanogo. He is better than your current options and would be cheap.

Don't think Wenger would let him go to Liverpool, but it would be a good deal for you guys.

No thanks

He'd probably cause defenses more problems than Balotelli or Lambert, but we could probably buy someone better for like £2m

GQman2121

Banned
That Origi situation doesn't seem so bad given what they're currently working with. BRod is doing whatever he can to salvage their season. Ending the loan in January is likely easier than anything comparable in the market. It's the fee that makes it seem like a bad idea, but it could be worse.

1 goal every 429 minutes for Origi.

I'm not seeing it.

When I watch Lille they seem to be even worse than us in attack. From the few times I've seen Origi, he has a habit of holding it up, playing it to a winger/AM, and then just standing on the edge of the box. Whether that's a managerial decision, or whether he's just reluctant to get into the box remains to be seen.

He's certainly not in a team which will help him thrive though.

Hixx

I learned German from a tiny Scottish woman who insisted she be called Frau Murdoch. If you called her "miss" she'd scream at you. I also got thrown out of my first lesson for laughing at "sechs"
oiADDQI.png

Such an angry person. Our French teachers were pretty spot on though. Which makes no sense.

bobito

Banned
My Christmas exams are officially finished. Not back in Uni until February.

Christ just typing that sounds mad. Student life really doesn't prepare you in any way for the real world, does it?

I found uni much harder then work. I worked much longer hours for uni then I ever do working.

bobito

Banned
wat?

you did something wrong m8

uni was nothing in contrast to work.
but at least work is much more interesting than uni

I wanted to get a first. Plus I ripped my cruciate ligament so could only do swimming.

Generally I'm quite a driven person anyway so just sitting around wasn't for me.

My Christmas exams are officially finished. Not back in Uni until February.

Christ just typing that sounds mad. Student life really doesn't prepare you in any way for the real world, does it?

February

fucking hell

Two weeks holiday tralalalala
Two weeks holiday TRALALALALALALALA

Meier

Lille has basically been utter shit this year while Rony has been injured. Origi would have more help at Liverpool but if he isn't good enough to carry a team in France, then why would he be successful enough to salvage LFC's season? They should spend that on loaning or buying (plus a bit more) Alexandre Lacazette or someone else who is a proven scorer.

Wilbur

Banned
One of my old school teachers came into my work the other day and I told him I split my final year. Didn't want to say I haven't got a job yet.

origi wasn't even good at the world cup.

I thought he looked good, but again, in a Welbeck kinda way.

Lille has basically been utter shit this year while Rony has been injured. Origi would have more help at Liverpool but if he isn't good enough to carry a team in France, then why would he be successful enough to salvage LFC's season? They should spend that on loaning or buying (plus a bit more) Alexandre Lacazette or someone else who is a proven scorer.

Honestly, he wouldn't even have to score much to help our attack improve by an order of magnitude.

Balotelli and surprisingly Lambert are absolutely shocking at the basics of bringing the other attackers into play and giving them an option.

pulga

Banned
So I got my Mexican passport today.

I officially have three nationalities.

James Bond would shit himself if he saw my passport holder.

Next up, American citizenship :lol

Finding a fucking job is hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom