• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/2015 |OT10| -Proud Of Our Heritage-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

Boring Irish politics thing here:
Can't say I know much of the Republic's politics post 1920s-ish (beyond of course, knowing that every politician and leader you've had has been corrupt/a bastard, and also the awful church influence). Never really understood why the only two parties who've ever got into power are, to an outsider's eyes, exactly the same - conservative, centre-right to right.
If you boil things down to the most base element, the difference between Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael was their stance on Northern Ireland. FG accepted the 6 county partition if it meant independence for the other 26. Their feeling was that they could eventually get all 32. FF wouldn't accept that and we're staunchly anti-partition.

That's the difference at it's most basic. Apart from that their politics were basically the same. Politically and morally conservative politicians were all we had. The population was split over the treaty with the bulk falling into either camp. As the Importance of the NI questioned lessened it became clear that there wasn't much to separate the two so they became more populist. There's still a very lineage based voting pattern in Ireland. Generations of the same family would have voted for the same party. It all came down to whether you were pro or anti Treaty. So the popularity of the Big 2 parties was perpetuated through this and because of the Troubles. When that started to get bad the whole NI question was revisited and their position as the dominant parties were bolstered. It's why there's never been a real Labour movement in RoI. They could never catch on when the Treaty question was all anyone focused on from 1920 to about 1970.

Boss fixtures tomorrow

Spurs vs Man Utd
Southampton vs Chelsea
West Ham vs Arsenal

Newcastle vs Everton
Villa vs Sunderland
Hull vs Leicester
QPR vs Palace

All of them could easily go either way, and the bolded will have big implications on the title race, CL race and relegation battle

Man City vs Burnley
7Pf3Sun.png

Linius

Yeah I'm gonna go to bed about now. Felt like a rather productive day. Caught up on Penny Dreadful and finished Pokémon AS. What a time to be alive.

Also just bought the classic Gameboy Tetris on my 3DS. Apparently it's being removed after the year ends. Always nice to have some tetris with me.

Yeah I'm gonna go to bed about now. Felt like a rather productive day. Caught up on Penny Dreadful and finished Pokémon AS. What a time to be alive.

Also just bought the classic Gameboy Tetris on my 3DS. Apparently it's being removed after the year ends. Always nice to have some tetris with me.

You have a strange defenition of the word 'productive'

You've produced nothing, judging from that :p

Linius

You have a strange defenition of the word 'productive'

You've produced nothing, judging from that :p

Well compared to sitting behind my computer just browsing. You know, the average gaffer rather talks about games than playing them.

And it's my time off now, so I allow myself to do fun stuff and call it a productive day.

jesalr

Just watched the last episode of Metal Gear Scanlon 2.

God fucking damn is MGS2 just plain stupid. 11 year old me never stood a chance.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched the last episode of Metal Gear Scanlon 2.

God fucking damn is MGS2 just plain stupid. 11 year old me never stood a chance.

you mean it's genius, a game for the thinking man

TrueBlue

God, I'm bricking it for the Southampton game. Will be wonderful if we manage to come away with a win.

Just noticed I ain't posted here in a while. Merry Christmas, gents.

Scum

Spurs 1 - 4 Man Utd
Southampton 2 - 2 Chelsea
West Ham 2 - 3 Arsenal
Newcastle 2 - 1 Everton
Villa 2 - 2 Sunderland
Hull 2 - 2 Leicester
QPR 4 - 3 Palace
Man City 4 - 0 Burnley

God, I'm bricking it for the Southampton game. Will be wonderful if we manage to come away with a win.

Just noticed I ain't posted here in a while. Merry Christmas, gents.

Will be a tough match for sure. I wouldnt say I feel confident (considering the points we've dropped away from home) but I trust the lads and the manager, hopefully we get an early goal like we did against Stoke

TrueBlue

Will be a tough match for sure. I wouldnt say I feel confident (considering the points we've dropped away from home) but I trust the lads and the manager, hopefully we get an early goal like we did against Stoke

Aye, and I think there's added pressure to get a result here, particularly with Man City playing Burnley. They'll probably win that, though one hopes that Dyche can mastermind an upset.

Scum

Aye, and I think there's added pressure to get a result here, particularly with Man City playing Burnley. They'll probably win that, though one hopes that Dyche can mastermind an upset.

iO4UTCEKPvu4H.png

Fintan

Man City's Christmas schedule is crazy easy compared to ours. It's a bit annoying, but I think it balances out because we've got most of our big away matches out of the way already, whereas they've still got Liverpool, United, and Everton away (not that any of them, except maybe United, are playing well at the moment.)

TrueBlue

mLjyyKE.png

Man City's Christmas schedule is crazy easy compared to ours. It's a bit annoying, but I think it balances out because we've got most of our big away matches out of the way already, whereas they've still got Liverpool, United, and Everton away (not that any of them, except maybe United, are playing well at the moment.)

Yeah, I'd rather be in our position in all honesty. Having to play City, United, Everton and Liverpool at home is preferable for the later stages of the season.

Theyve got all the big teams to play away still, with a crocked squad thats not going to get better when the importance of the matches intensifies... we're doing well with our matches and we have a 100% record at the Bridge this season in the league... i'd much rather be in our position even without the 3 points in hand

Theyve got all the big teams to play away still, with a crocked squad thats not going to get better when the importance of the matches intensifies... we're doing well with our matches and we have a 100% record at the Bridge this season in the league... i'd much rather be in our position even without the 3 points in hand

Very interested to see which striker City buy next month

Zabojnik

Thor 2 was decent

I downloaded The Guest last week. is it really worth watching zabo?

Alone? Maybe. But go in knowing that it starts as little more than an average drama and later becomes a parody of itself. I'd say unintentional parody, but that'd be giving it credit it doesn't deserve. It's funnier than The Interview at least.

Don't you have anything better to watch?

lol who made that site? I made that gif like... Yesterday night. and got some hilarious responses, like some guy who thought it was heartless of me to make fun of people, having to work during their holidays, due to hacker attack.
T0DmWMf.png

You should try and get some royalties. You'll be rich with the amount of use it'll get.

Chelsea... In January. How does that even make sense with him out 3 months. Papers pls.
LhwRz7R.png

They need someone to clean the boots I guess.

Never really seen him I'm sure he's good

Where did you see it mentioned btw? Salah meeting on Monday supposedly to see if they'll loan him out or not

Elchele

Alone? Maybe. But go in knowing that it starts as little more than an average drama and later becomes a parody of itself. I'd say unintentional parody, but that'd be giving it credit it doesn't deserve. It's funnier than The Interview at least.

Don't you have anything better to watch?

Yeah, I have 27 films to watch
what a time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom