• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/2015 |OT10| -Proud Of Our Heritage-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Say De Gea decides to go and keeps up current form, how much would a gk like him go for? Top Class Gk's dont go on the market often so ive no idea, £35m+?

Wilbur

Banned
Say De Gea decides to go and keeps up current form, how much would a gk like him go for? Top Class Gk's dont go on the market often so ive no idea, £35m+?

Buffon was 30 odd million when he went and that was fucking years ago. Neuer was a similar price, I think?

I'd want at least 35-40m if he had to go at all, considering how much we paid and how much he's improved. He isn't Guzan levels yet, but he will be.

Woodward you fuck sit him down and get him signed.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

COLA

QUICK say something sensational

Zabooooo. I'm nervous!
Why? :lol worse case scenario, you're gonna finish 2nd. We're shit don't worry AND we're missing Asamoah (massive), Barzagli(massive-er) and Vidal's left knee

Yeah, agreed. I mean, to be third in the table, regardless of how shit almost everyone else has been, is an achievement with the problems we've had.

You'll hear some - Hitcher u cunt I'm aiming this at you - saying third is the bare minimum of where we should be, but you're absolutely right when you factor in our problems that we're doing okay. It feels like a cult of personality thing to me; this side is grinding out results in a way Fergie did and Moyes didn't, and that's not a horrifically negative sign to me.

It is good to see us grinding out the results but it needs to translate into something greater than resilience/grit/determination/captainleaderlegend.

All well and good to get the results but we need to take the confidence from that and start asserting ourselves in games.

I think this is the aspect of the overhaul which United fans have most underestimated, I definitely did. The lack of belief is just so hard to overcome, last year was so so damaging for plenty of players. And some of them are just too weak mentally, especially at CB. Every defeat is a hammer blow right now, feels like if we lose next week it’ll be completely back to square one.

Hard to say but we won't get much for him anyway because of his contract situation. Probably just about make a small profit on what we paid for him.

Scum

You could get £40m plus addons for him if he had 3yrs+ left on his contract.

El Topo

You could get £40m plus addons for him if he had 3yrs+ left on his contract.

That seems very optimistic. Who would realistically pay that much for him, other than maybe Madrid? There's also plenty of good competition. Heck, he was only 3rd choice for Spain at the World Cup, wasn't he?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
COLA

QUICK say something sensational

Why? :lol worse case scenario, you're gonna finish 2nd. We're shit don't worry AND we're missing Asamoah (massive), Barzagli(massive-er) and Vidal's left knee

Err, I got told to leave the gym because I was watching Wanted on my Ipad between sets :(

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I think Buffon went for 50 million

He was 21, and was already the best in the world :lol

El Topo

PSG, but they'll be obsessed with getting Lloris instead.

I don't think that sum is realistic for PSG, maybe if he was French. Just because they spent way too much on Luiz doesn't mean they'd throw that much money at United for a goalkeeper.

Pennywise

Err, I got told to leave the gym because I was watching Wanted on my Ipad between sets :(
jbzcH0F5U6uMjI.png

But my wife isn't karate champion or some shit
l1x61OA.png

You mean you have no wife at all.

Scum

I don't think that sum is realistic for PSG, maybe if he was French. Just because they spent way too much on Luiz doesn't mean they'd throw that much money at United for a goalkeeper.

Looks like we get the £50m then. :>

Scum

TRANSFER GOSSIP
Paris St Germain striker Edinson Cavani, 27, wants to move to Arsenal in January. (Metro)
Manchester City are lining up a move for 21-year-old Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba, with the ex-Manchester United player and France international seen as a replacement for 31-year-old Yaya Toure. (Sun - subscription required)
Manchester City midfielder Samir Nasri, 27, has admitted he faces an uncertain future at the club. (Daily Mail)
Manchester United have suffered a blow in their pursuit of Atletico Madrid defender Diego Godin, with the Spanish champions insisting the 28-year-old is not for sale. (Daily Star)
Alternatively, Atletico Madrid have told Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal that he must meet Godin's £28.5m buyout clause if he wants to land the defender in January. (Daily Express)
West Ham's 26-year-old defender Winston Reid, who is out of contract in the summer, is demanding a huge wage rise to remain with the Hammers and could be sold in January, with Arsenal and Liverpool among his suitors. (Daily Mirror)
Arsenal scout Gilles Grimandi has been watching Monaco's £15m-rated left-back Layvin Kurzawa, 22. (Daily Mail)
West Ham United striker Diafra Sakho, 24, who has scored eight goals since joining the Hammers in the summer, has emerged as a Liverpool target as the Reds look to offload their own 24-year-old summer signing Mario Balotelli. (Metro)
Liverpool will have to pay £4m if they want to sign Benfica's Uruguayan right-back Maxi Pereira, 30. (Daily Mirror)
Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal look set for disappointment in the race for Paulo Dybala's signature, with the 21-year-old Argentine striker set to sign a new deal at Palermo for Spurs. (Daily Star)
QPR manager Harry Redknapp is keen on signing former Tottenham and Liverpool striker Robbie Keane, 34, on a three-month loan deal from LA Galaxy following the end of the MLS season. (Daily Express)
Cruzeiro have rejected Real Madrid's first offer for Lucas Silva, with Bernabeu manager Carlo Ancelotti publicly admitting that the club has been tracking the 21-year-old Brazilian midfielder. (AS)

OTHER GOSSIP
Manchester United midfielder Daley Blind, 24, is making good progress in his comeback from a knee injury after his dad confirmed a scan revealed everything is as it should be. (Daily Mail)
Danny Murphy is convinced his old club Liverpool would never turn to former Chelsea and Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas to replace current manager Brendan Rodgers. (Talksport)
Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is considering starting Diego Costa, 26, in Wednesday's final Champions League group game against Sporting Lisbon as he seeks to improve the Spain forward's match fitness after his progress was interrupted by injury. (Guardian)
Defender Pablo Zabaleta believes Manchester City face a huge challenge to produce their own first-team players in the future - but is convinced the club's new £200m training complex will drastically increase their youngsters' prospects of making the grade. (Times - subscription required)
Manager Louis van Gaal has cast doubt over Radamel Falcao's long-term future at Manchester United by claiming he is "not interested" in the 28-year-old Colombia forward's reaction to being held back from first-team action at the club. (Daily Telegraph)
Tottenham defender Kyle Walker, 24, is set to be included in Spurs' squad to face Besiktas in the Europa League this week after a nine-month injury lay-off. (Daily Mirror)
Malcolm Glazer bought Manchester United in May 2005 and his ownership of the club was passed on to his six children following his death. His son Edward has now put three millions shares in the Old Trafford club up for sale. (Evening Standard)

BEST OF SOCIAL MEDIA
Former Manchester United and Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez, 30, who is now with Juventus, has tweeted a picture of his new tattoo, which covers his back.
The England team Twitter account has listed Roma defender Ashley Cole as one of the candidates for the national side's player of the year award, despite him winning just one cap in 2014 - his 107th in the 1-0 friendly win over Denmark.
Barcelona forward Lionel Messi has taken to Instagram to voice his frustration at being asked to undergo a more thorough doping procedure than four other players prior to Barcelona's Champions League tie with Paris St Germain.

AND FINALLY
Chelsea captain John Terry has downsized by buying the £4.35m seven-bedroom mansion of golfer Colin Montgomerie. (Sun - subscription required)
Former Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard, 36, who is on loan at Manchester City from New York City, could move into politics when he retires from football. (Daily Star)
Barcelona midfielder Ivan Rakitic admits he is running out of things to write on the match-day balls won by team-mate Lionel Messi, after the Argentina forward claimed his 21st hat-trick in the 5-1 win over Espanyol at the weekend. (AS)

Yes Dybala!

Cola pls. Just listen to an audiobook or podcast or something, that's what I did without it seeming too weird or being too big a distraction. That's before I just became chubby and inactive of course.
F0nQhWJ.png

Yes Dybala!

YOU STOP THAT MANIPULATION WITH THE TEXT

Scum

Cola pls. Just listen to an audiobook or podcast or something, that's what I did without it seeming too weird or being too big a distraction. That's before I just became chubby and inactive of course.
F0nQhWJ.png

YOU STOP THAT MANIPULATION WITH THE TEXT

l1x61OA.png

ghst

thanks for the laugh
West Ham United striker Diafra Sakho, 24, who has scored eight goals since joining the Hammers in the summer, has emerged as a Liverpool target as the Reds look to offload their own 24-year-old summer signing Mario Balotelli. (Metro)

from a champions league spot in the most fashionable part of london to a mid-table club in the poundsaver of england?

brentan's delusion knows no bounds.

No John Terry, Eden Hazard or Willian at Chelsea training today. Teenage midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek in squad for Sporting game #cfc

Nice

Mr Cola

I couldnt use headphones because I have a tendency to drop things, Fifa bros will tell you ive broken 4 laptop's in 2 years via dropping, spilling dr pepper, or general bad handling. So I installed a case on my Ipad that made it drop proof however it fits solid and covers the headphone jack (Ipad mini) and i actually cant get it off now, its on tight.

So its either watch with subtitles :/ or listen to it on a lowish setting like 3-4

I pay membership, he said i was taking the piss

I couldnt use headphones because I have a tendency to drop things, Fifa bros will tell you ive broken 4 laptop's in 2 years via dropping, spilling dr pepper, or general bad handling. So I installed a case on my Ipad that made it drop proof however it fits solid and covers the headphone jack (Ipad mini) and i actually cant get it off now, its on tight.

So its either watch with subtitles :/ or listen to it on a lowish setting like 3-4

I pay membership, he said i was taking the piss

Wait so you watched movie with sound in the gym? Even I would be disgusted with that, and I once peed in the coal at the sauna.
daMPIzy.png

I was like 12, but it was hilarious

Scum

Which player or players usually make it into your cheating/Best XI FM save file? I had Messi and Ronaldo at Leyton Orient.

GorillaJu

Like Danny Murphy, I too am absolutely mystified how replacing Rodgers with AVB could possibly be considered a step forward. Rodgers' deficiencies as a manager are becoming more apparent by the day, but AVB is a known fuck-up. Players don't respect him, he's too vulnerable to media harassment, and his teams are boring to watch.

Yeah, agreed. I mean, to be third in the table, regardless of how shit almost everyone else has been, is an achievement with the problems we've had.

You'll hear some - Hitcher u cunt I'm aiming this at you - saying third is the bare minimum of where we should be, but you're absolutely right when you factor in our problems that we're doing okay. It feels like a cult of personality thing to me; this side is grinding out results in a way Fergie did and Moyes didn't, and that's not a horrifically negative sign to me.

4th is the minimum for this point imo

You're doing annoyingly well at picking up points despite performances and injuries, I'll give you that. Opening up a gap over the chasing pack (which we're barely even part of tbh) and just overtook Southampton.

Now you've played Arsenal, City and Southampton away, and Chelsea at home, your fixtures have probably been harder than our's overall if anything. I think you'll make further signings in January and coast to third from here, which is good for you.

But I can't say its been anything close to convincing. Honestly, it seems like you're not even doing the bare minimum, instead relying on the other team constantly fucking up at both ends of the pitch. Results aren't being ground out so much as you're Mr Magooing your way to them, and that is a precarious situation to be in even ifits taking you to what would normally be a comforting league position. Like us right now, it feels like I'm just waiting for a team to turn up with the right intensity and composure, and twat you 4-1. And it feels like it could happen in any away game against an intense crowd.

Even if that happened though, the teams I expect to be 4th-8th aside from Southampton have been dogshit all season. Utter dogshit. Those CL places are there for the taking for any semi-competent team, and ourselves, Arsenal, Everton and Spurs are smashing our own fingers in every fucking week.

Infuriating.

You have belief and faith in the project which will keep the atmosphere positive enough to force yourselves into 4th at least. The feeling around the 4 I just mentioned is absolutely dire at the moment. All expected much better from this season, and none seem comfortable with the prospects of the clubs in the short, medium or long term.

You, on the other hand are doing fine. Could easily be doing better, could very easily be doing worse. And not just worse, much worse. If I was a Man Utd fan I'd be satisifed, confident, apprehensive, nervous and a cunt all at once.

With the money spent and Van Gaal's reputation, I'm perhaps surprised that you're regularly putting in such worrying performances still which threaten to derail your momentum and season at large, but I can't pretend you're not doing annoyingly well results-wise, especially considering the injuries.

Here's hoping you capsize at some point, as we sink to the depths without a trace.

Noticed earlier that Football Weekly and Football Ramble barely talk about us any more, and instantly thought 'fair enough.'

We're just a very dull entity at the moment. Barely beating teams we should be beating, not attacking well at all, defending just about competently enough to keep the papers off our backs. Playing real turgid football, with all our eggs in one injury-prone basket who's still a month away.

Even if we win tonight, I don't expect it to do anything for our confidence ahead of the weekend. Fail to win though, and I expect we'll be getting twatted on Saturday, maybe not in the result, but at least in the flow of the match.

edit: I think AVB can be a very good PL manager, but I'd need to see him prove it elsewhere before being willing to take a punt on him. And Rodgers still has a fair amount of leeway for me, especially with the complete lack of alternatives I'd be happy with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom