• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/2015 |OT12| Old Man Looking For 17 year olds. Contact Arsene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

I want Bundesliga back

tumblr_nic22eeq1d1tvauwuo1_400.gif

Im slowly going crazy here.

Salazar

After a year of hearing nothing but Ozil jokes from United fans, one mention of Falcao being a flop and they are acting all sensitive.

Eh. It's just rich to hear opportunistic player-comparisons from a fan of a club that's basically a theme park for players limited by injury/crack.

Zabojnik

We'll take Falcao off your hands, if you don't want him. I wonder how Monaco feel about a loan + option to buy in six installments.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
is-paul-pogba.jpg

Just when you thought it went quiet, the media campaign to force Paul Pogba out of Juventus and strip Serie A of its most prized commodity has sadly reared its ugly head again. Fortunately for Calcio followers and Bianconero tifosi alike, the Frenchman hasn’t turned his.

We continually hear about how footballers are held to ransom by their agents, as if they’re forced to accept bigger pay packets elsewhere, but in Pogba’s case, not even maverick representative Mino Raiola can engineer the midfielder’s next money-spinning transfer, just yet.

In this day and age, whereby individual needs are increasingly taking precedence over the collective for most footballers, the 21-year-old is refreshingly refusing to bite the hand which feeds him. After all, it was Juve who were willing to take in the then-departing Manchester United teenager two-and-a-half years ago.

Fresh from putting Verona to the sword in the Coppa Italia last midweek, the midfielder was at it again on Sunday, inspiring the Bianconeri to another emphatic victory over the Butei. Inside just three minutes, he unleashed a rocket from 25 yards out, which flew like a bullet into the bottom-right corner.

That wasn’t enough for Pogba. Four minutes later, he showcased incredible swagger and awareness to dummy Alvaro Morata’s deflected cross, effectively assist Carlos Tevez for his side’s second of the evening and put the Gialloblu out of sight, all while barely breaking a sweat. His efforts helped him to a current 185 Eurofantasyleague points.

When he wasn’t contributing with goals, he was helping the team sustain their domination at the other end, emerging successful in all five of his tackles to make him Juve’s joint-most accomplished ballwinner and completing 67 of his 73 passes at a rate only second to Andrea Pirlo.

On the basis of his performance against Verona alone, it’s easy to see why Pogba is in high demand, but there are many more factors to consider – the crippling Italian economy and the perception that Serie A no longer warrants prestige, especially in the context of Ballon d’Or candidacy.

There’s also Beppe Marotta’s worrying admission. Instead of simply sidestepping the issue, he reminded us about what we all already knew – that the Old Lady struggle to compete financially with the world’s best clubs. One wonders whether Luciano Moggi would have responded likewise.

The English Press seem to be doing all they can to make up for their earlier blunder in failing to prevent Pogba’s free transfer to Juve, despite his potential being clear for all to see in Manchester United’s reserves, including Sir Alex Ferguson, who knew exactly what he lost out on.

The last player to depart Turin for Madrid was a certain Zinedine Zidane, who on Monday claimed ‘all the great players end up’ there. That may be so, but the €75m was quickly reinvested on two more greats Gianluigi Buffon and Pavel Nedved – both never Blanco, both still Bianconero.

Of course, Pogba has a long way to go before he can be uttered in the same breath as the aforementioned pair, but with a new contract recently signed, his future at Juve is secure for at least a few more years. He’s on the path to greatness and going the right way about it.

Goodbye Paul

adieu

hwyl fawr
th-th-this can't be real

how the bloody fuck do they plan on getting to their games then!? :lol :lol

surreal. And there's a Milan Bus twitter account already :lol

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
B7whVRAIMAATVvc.jpg

Thank you for everything, Marry.

TkHHu.jpg

During the ceremony, each attendee donated a particular memoir from their career to the exhibit, with the club’s CEO choosing to give his Scudetto winners’ medal from the Bianconeri’s triumphant 2011/12 Serie A (UNDEFEATED BABY) campaign.

Salazar

Yurt pls

Let's have a similar blog post about how Barkley would set a great example by staying at Everton.

Not comparing Juve and Everton. Or am I.

Juve "willing to take him in" fuckin :lol

Like you're a benevolent orphanage. Like he was gonna be doing keepy uppy for spare change otherwise.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Yurt pls

Let's have a similar blog post about how Barkley would set a great example by staying at Everton.

Not comparing Juve and Everton. Or am I.

we do have the same spending muscle.

and a flaccid penis in the dugout

Juve "willing to take him in" fuckin :lol

Like you're a benevolent orphanage. Like he was gonna be doing keepy uppy for spare change otherwise.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

my favourite is The English Press failing to prevent his transfer :lol

HEY tbf I didn't bold the bollocks parts, just the stats ;_;

Salvadora

When you put Di Maria's price tag into the equation, you can see why he's easily described as a flop.

Think it was Wilbur who said regarding Ozil that a player commanding that sort of fee shouldn't become shite when slightly shifted position

wedward

When you put Di Maria's price tag into the equation, you can see why he's easily described as a flop.

Think it was Wilbur who said regarding Ozil that a player commanding that sort of fee shouldn't become shite when slightly shifted position

Can't remember if it was Wilbur or not, but definitely remember someone saying that.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

Clegg

Five points isn't that's big a lead. One bad game is all it takes for City to get back in the race. Having said that, they're crap and will probably lose at Chelsea anyway.

lmao Brendan Fraudgers saying Jose is a "rival"

Funny shit

This is why I don't play Dota with you.

And this

The peasant cup, who cares

Worth more than both of your fucking dinnerplates put together

Time for the bimonthly 'recommend me things that I'll never actually watch' post

Alien series (maybe minus Resurrection, which I've seen and is shit)
Killing Them Softly
Gone Girl
Broadchurch S2
Nightcrawler
The Town

All worth a watch, right? Heard KTS was underwhelming, but still decent I think

I feel like Balotelli's contribution has been so negligible and he's been kept out of the team so much that people have almost forgotten that he exists and is the biggest, most predictable flop of the summer

He will be a flop if continued to be played as a striker by Gaal

Clegg

Yeah idk, Di Maria's 4 goals and 6 assists in 14 games isn't really flop territory.

Definitely isn't a target-man striker though.
Statistically he's been quite decent.

But I'd be lying if I said I haven't been disappointed by his performances over the last while. Injury and a shift to an unsuitable position haven't helped, but he's still a world class player and should be playing much better than he is.

scabro

I'm really curious as to how Wenger will fit Ozil back into the team. Because god knows Wenger is gonna want to play Ozil for 15 straight games the moment he is able to start a game again.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm going to The Theory of Everything tonight and I swear if they make Felicity Jones cry I'm going to give them 0/10 on IMDB.

THAT WILL SHOW THEM.

Alien series (maybe minus Resurrection, which I've seen and is shit)
Killing Them Softly
Gone Girl
Broadchurch S2
Nightcrawler
The Townr
I'm pretty sure you're just gonna end up rewatching some fucking random movie like usual but here goes nothing:

Alien: you can't go wrong with any one of them.
Killing Them Softly: on my To-Watch list, but it's Brad Pitt so it can't be that bad surely
Gone Girl: My vice-movie of the year.
Nightcrawler: Enjoyable. Fine performance by Jake as usual.
The Town: I..don't remember anything about it :lol I just remember my utter disappointment. Oooh right, watch it for the GET THAT IN YOUR HEAD scene

Zabojnik

Marotta: 'Juve can afford to reject any offer for Pogba, but I'm not sure Pogba can.'

Says it all, really. As soon as a club comes knocking with that 10M€+ salary, he'll have to consider it and ultimately move away. I hope he decides to stay another season and we stretch our salary cap a little to accomodate him, but I doubt the likes of PSG will be fine with postponing the purchase for another year.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Marotta: 'Juve can afford to reject any offer for Pogba, but I'm not sure Pogba can.'

Says it all, really. As soon as a club comes knocking with that 10M€+ salary, he'll have to consider it and ultimately move away. I hope he decides to stay another season and we stretch our salary cap a little to accomodate him, but I doubt the likes of PSG will be fine with postponing the purchase for another year.
(incoherent ramblings below)

IMO, you can forget about PSG, they can't buy him, UEFA won't simply allow them to spend another 100 million. Unless of course they sell Cavani, Verratti and a few others (I don't think either is going to leave any time soon because no one will be able to match their salaries)

this salary cap bollocks is small time stuff, it's as stupid as BVB's release clauses and really you can't help but laugh at those clubs when one of their players decides that it's time to move on or when a depraved Bavarian comes knocking

Next season we're gonna have the Adidas money, a flood of new sponsors and not long after we're gonna open up that Juve City or whatever it's called, so there's no excuse for not raising the cap or at least making an exception (later on).

in the end I don't think it'll come down to how much money we're willing to pay for him, it'll be about being the best in the world and winning the coveted Golden MTV Award.

and he can't win it with an Italian team.

Yup

Though I think against QPR (at least from what I read since I couldn't see the full match) he was much better in 2nd half playing in midfield?

He was. He needs to be roaming midfield and finding pockets of space to receive it and turn.

Playing him with his back to goal against 6'5 CBs is probably not going to get the best out of him.

Yup

Though I think against QPR (at least from what I read since I couldn't see the full match) he was much better in 2nd half playing in midfield?
A bit brighter but nothing special. He always has moments of quality, because of his talent, he put some good crosses in and had a few dribbles etc but that's the minimum you expect from him really.

He's been very impatient in the last two games - not sure if that's out of frustration of playing up front and being out of the game for long stretches or if he's been told to force the issue when he gets it.

Anyhow - it's a bit early to call him a flop or otherwise at this stage, half a season in. But certainly, you pay that much for a player and you need match winning performances from him. We paid £37m for Mata, I don't know if people would say he's a flop or not but he hasn't given us a return on that money, no chance. Of course the fee isn't their fault etc etc, but it's bad business for the club to keep spending money like that.

Which is why I'd be amazed if we sign Falcao, for the agreed fee at least.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
WAIT the Bundesliga is on a break?!

and here I thought they've all decided to spare us and them the embarrassment and end it mid-season

"Here's your silver plate Bayern JUST TAKE IT"

plates-2.gif

KidJr

Had a massive debate with my mate in the gym about price tags and if they mean anything. We were basically discussing van gaals comments about how a players price tag is irrelevant for him, it's what they do in training teams how they fit into his team that he sees. I'm like on SOME levels a players price does have to come into the equation regardless of whether you were responsible for paying it or not.

LTWheels

Henderson has 7 assists this season.

That's more than Silva, Di Maria, and Hazard.

Mignolet has the same amount of clean sheets as Dea Gea and Courtois.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I see United GAF are a bit confused about Di Maria

it's not his injury, it's not his position, he's just inconsistent. He was like this with Madrid and it frustrated the fuck outta Mou. He'll step up in a couple of games and you'll fall in love with him all over again don't you worry ;)

Had a massive debate with my mate in the gym about price tags and if they mean anything. We were basically discussing van gaals comments about how a players price tag is irrelevant for him, it's what they do in training teams how they fit into his team that he sees. I'm like on SOME levels a players price does have to come into the equation regardless of whether you were responsible for paying it or not.
It matters. You spend money on a player and you need a return on that expense. It matters less when you're as rich as United are but it still matters.

If Van Gaal suddenly decides Di Maria doesn't fit into his plans, well that's a problem - he asked the club to buy the player and I assume the club paid the fee and agreed wages with the expectation that he will be a key player in the team.

But then I doubt Van Gaal would say that about Di Maria. Falcao isn't a signing he requested per se so he can turn around and say, well, you gave him to me, I don't want him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom