• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/2015 |OT12| Old Man Looking For 17 year olds. Contact Arsene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have Man Utd's new signings been better than ours?

Taking injuries into account, none of them seem to have made much of a positive contribution

I have no doubt that Shaw and Di Maria will prove to be very good buys though

edit: Valdes as well I guess

None of them have had a proper run of games, and I do think they have been better overall.

Wilbur

Banned
Liverpool's signings were shit until half a month ago according to everyone here. You all had run out of patience with Markovic, said Lallana did nothing, and only rated Moreno as a relative success despite the fact he was dropped. Manquillo's out of the team now, Balotelli - who we all thought would be a bargain - and Lovren aren't playing.

My point is its too early and too hasty to call it either way. Let's see who finishes where and who contributes and then you can call it.

Liverpool's signings were shit until half a month ago according to everyone here. You all had run out of patience with Markovic, said Lallana did nothing, and only rated Moreno as a relative success despite the fact he was dropped. Manquillo's out of the team now, Balotelli - who we all thought would be a bargain - and Lovren aren't playing.

My point is its too early and too hasty to call it either way. Let's see who finishes where and who contributes and then you can call it.

Where's the fun in that?

OFPVW5h.gif

Linius

Klaassen ain't playing tomorrow :(

Glad we know this now though so Frank can come up with an alternative line-up. Last week we were clearly not prepared for not having Klaasen on the pitch. We completely collapsed when he was subbed.

Will be interesting to see Schöne back in midfield again with El Ghazi and Kishna on the wings.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Conte “I think I chose a lot with my head and not so much with my heart, because my heart would’ve let me stay at Juve for infinity,” Conte told Tuttosport of his decision to quit last summer.

“When I took over, we were up against a strong side like Milan who had Thiago Silva, Ibrahimovic and their old guard. Four years ago, the Rossoneri were like Juve are today.

“Pushing that team off the throne and taking their place was our masterpiece: mine and the players. We achieved miracles together. However, to get there we used up so much energy in all areas.

“In May 2014 the club and I agreed to wait and see if certain situations could be shaken off. My choice to leave was with a heavy heart, but it was honest. You can see in my farewell video how much it hurt to take that step, but I did think and continue to believe it was the right solution for everyone.”

The tactician has been touring all the Serie A clubs to speak with Coaches, players and staff about training methods.

Juve had been consistently pushed back down the calendar, but the get-together finally happened on Friday.

“When I see the players I had a very intense rapport with... I’ll be honest, it hurts to watch Juventus. It happened to me in the past, when I left Bari. It’s above all an emotional strain.

“Today Juve are in ideal conditions: the revenue is up, because with great sacrifice we were able to surpass everyone. Now the Bianconeri must do everything to stay up there, whereas the others will try to chip away at the foundations of the skyscraper we constructed.”

images-i64578b8it15.gif

Arnie

:lol

I've written two posts on signings and both time my phone has crashed.

You only have to look at the fluency of the Battleship and its trajectory to know that its latest recruits are superior to those that farted in Cambridge last night.

Zabojnik

Barzagli called up for tomorrow's game.

Is this real love.

(Won't get a single minute, but still. He lives. Asamoah on the other hand ... RIP. Season over.)

Wilbur

Banned

You only have to look at the fluency of the Battleship and its trajectory to know that its latest recruits are superior to those that farted in Cambridge last night.

The only ones who have regularly played in your recent resurgence are Markovic and Can, right?

Edit: sounded more pointed than I meant it to be; genuinely asking. Haven't seen much of yous.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Barzagli called up for tomorrow's game.

Is this real love.

(Won't get a single minute, but still. He lives. Asamoah on the other hand ... RIP. Season over.)

I hope he's still as good and World Class as he used to be ;_; seeing him tackle motherfuckers cleanly was ART!

Walshy

I have no idea how I would have handle the final battle on the roof. I am not sure if my asian copy of the HD collection has european extreme on it. I really want to give it another shot
I think I had a strategy of cutting him twice and then blocking and repeating the process.

You should definitely give it another try, although the Ray fights, the harrier fight and the torture scene with Ocelot is ridiculously hard :lol

I still think it's a little early, although we always knew it would take time for players like Moreno and Markovic to bed in.

I think everyone bar Balotelli and Lovren have been boss. Although out of them last two, I still think Lovren has a chance of making it here.

Arnie

The only ones who have regularly played in your recent resurgence are Markovic and Can, right?
No, Moreno and Lallana have been pivotal as well.

Which leaves Balotelli (awful signing, will be sold, probably make around a £6 million loss), Manquillo (done alright, defensively excellent, Brendan defends as an afterthought), Lovren (shit, want him pulped) and Lambert (cheap and contributed enough to justify the fee).

We've got four great signings, two outright flops, and two who haven't done either.

Clegg

None of the signings we've made in the last 18 months have been outright successes. That's a big worry for me tbh. Mata, Blind, Shaw and Di Maria have all shown moments of great play but they haven't played consistently well for us. Doesn't help that they're being played out of position, but they should still being doing better.

Now let's get onto Fellaini. He's crap, proper crap. He can't win the ball because he's too slow and clumsy, gives away too many free kicks, can't pass the ball more the 10 yards and is generally useless. The only thing he has going for him is his height when we're defending set pieces. He's getting away with murder this season IMO. Playing just as badly as he did under Moyes, but isn't getting as much criticism as he's scored a couple of goals. Get rid.

Wilbur

Banned
No, Moreno and Lallana have been pivotal as well.

Which leaves Balotelli (awful signing, will be sold, probably make around a £6 million loss), Manquillo (done alright, defensively excellent, Brendan defends as an afterthought), Lovren (shit, want him pulped) and Lambert (cheap and contributed enough to justify the fee).

We've got four great signings, two outright flops, and two who haven't done either.

Definitely wouldn't say Lallana's been a great signing (like I say, haven't watched you too much recently but haven't noticed him really). Four goals in 22 games is almost as bad as FALCAO

Wilbur

Banned
None of the signings we've made in the last 18 months have been outright successes. That's a big worry for me tbh. Mata, Blind, Shaw and Di Maria have all shown moments of great play but they haven't played consistently well for us. Doesn't help that they're being played out of position, but they should still being doing better.

Now let's get onto Fellaini. He's crap, proper crap. He can't win the ball because he's too slow and clumsy, gives away too many free kicks, can't pass the ball more the 10 yards and is generally useless. The only thing he has going for him is his height when we're defending set pieces. He's getting away with murder this season IMO. Playing just as badly as he did under Moyes, but isn't getting as much criticism as he's scored a couple of goals. Get rid.

Some mug I was talking to on Twitter the other day said he's our best midfielder by a country mile and should be captain.

Arnie

Definitely wouldn't say Lallana's been a great signing (like I say, haven't watched you too much recently but haven't noticed him really). Four goals in 22 games is almost as bad as FALCAO
Falcao's a striker, Lallana's a midfielder.

Lallana contributes to The Battleship's swashbuckling fluidity; Falcao represents the mire with which United's football seems lodged.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I think Beardzagli has at least another season at the top level in him. I hope. :(

Rugani pls.
life without Barzagli used to be my biggest Juve fear in the Conte era (aside from being caught fixing of course)

And you've seen the state of our defense without him ;_; maybe it's good if he stays injured, I don't want him to come back to show us just how fucking CLASS he is just to retire a few months later

NO

STAY DEAD

Wilbur

Banned
Falcao's a striker, Lallana's a midfielder.

Lallana contributes to The Battleship's swashbuckling fluidity; Falcao represents the mire with which United's football seems lodged.

I was being a tad facetious innit

but still. 25m for him, considering his output (and the fact that all the signings have only turned up in the last month so there's no assurances they'll keep it up).

For instance, when Sturridge comes back, does Lallana drop out of the team to make way for him?

I'm not defending our signings at all. From our six, none have been a qualified success; Shaw will come good and has been when not injured, Blind's acquitted himself well, Rojo's improved. I wouldn't say Shaw's been leagues below Moreno from what I've seen of the two. Markovic was written off in December when he got sent off and now he's playing well.

I have faith ours will come good, and I'm sure all yours will too. Just think until either team has something to show for it, you can't call it considering the fluctuations of both teams' form.

L1NETT

today is the day romans empire comes crumbling down

by a shelf stacker from the co op named James Hanson

can't wait to sell the movie rights. can see Gosling playing Hanson

Across all competitions we have only played each other seven times in the last 85 years, four of them in the Premier League between 1999 and 2001.

pre ww1 we would be heavy favourites

but general mou said it's only gonna be senior players

prepare for trench warfare my loyal yorkshire lads

my head says 4-0 to the empire, my heart says 1-1 with Stead nicking a replay late on.

Arnie

You maddeningly consistent twat, Arnie.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139925581&postcount=1094

^^^ It's not enough

Jones is experiencing a massive tactical instructions cognitive bottleneck. And he's scared. And he's shit. Same for Valencia.
We were still grieving in November.

Now the Battleship has pushed away from its scaffolding and begun to fly as it was last season. Lallana included. We've got a great group of lads.

As long as we're playing lovely football and picking up points I'll deem those that contribute to be a success. I think Firmino would also be a great addition to the group.

3Sixty

United are fucking minging init.

Doesn't matter what formation they line up with the tactics are exactly the same, pass it around slowly, aimlessly, back to Phil Jones and punt it out of play.

Clegg

LvG is trying to use a system that covers the weakness of his defenders whilst at the same time getting most of his attackers on the pitch. It's not working and should be dropped. Might be time to go back to basics and play a 4-3-3. Herrera, Carrick and Mata in midfield with Januzaj and Di Maria on the wings. Rooney up front with RVP and Falcao bench warming. Don't actually expect to see this happen but w/e.

On the subject of Falcao, we're not seeing the best of him but at the same time we're hardly doing our utmost to help him. Not creating anywhere near enough chances. RVP missed a perfect chance last night. Shit over the bar from less than 10 yards out. At least one of those is for the chopping block in the summer.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Correct me if I'm wrong (I think L1NETT posted a table about this before)

But United are on course to be the first PL team to fail at buying the league

Like, it's statistically proven that whoever spends most ends up winning the Premface title, right?

CCS

Banned

Like, it's statistically proven that whoever spends most ends up winning the Premface title, right?

No, it's happened before. Example, in 2008/09 City spent £127 million, United spent £35 million, and United won the title.

Yen

Looking forward to today's game. Spearing and Heskey, versus the Battleship. You know, I'm too young to remember Heskey being effective for Liverpool. Around 02/03, Houllier started playing him as a left winger. Some fall from grace Houllier had. Never quite understood why he was so poor when he came back from surgery.

@Yurt, it's the team with the highest combined value that wins the league.

Eh City lost it a few times while spending more than anyone, and I'm pretty sure Chelsea did too. And how much did United spend when they won it with Froggie the last time?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
@Yurt, it's the team with the highest combined value that wins the league.
ooooh right right! I think that was it actually!

Is it still United? Has to be
Eh City lost it a few times while spending more than anyone, and I'm pretty sure Chelsea did too. And how much did United spend when they won it with Froggie the last time?
TOO MANY QUESTIONS

L1NETTTTT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom