• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/2015 |OT12| Old Man Looking For 17 year olds. Contact Arsene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

It is pre-tax.

Only in Italy do they seem to publish these figures post tax.
That is how they do it in Spain and Germany as well. It seems like primarily English speaking countries present pre-tax. That is how much the player's salary is so I don't understand why the other countries don't report it that way.

Di Maria is over £250k.

Edit: It looks like it was just the Mirror who said £280k. It seems a more accurate number is around £230k (he gets about €8m after-tax or about £12m per year pre-tax). That is his basic wage before any sort of bonuses.

Fletcher's last contract was signed when he was actually a key player for the club anyway.

It looks startling now because unfortunately his spell away from football has meant his level has dropped off completely.

Splatt

Not to mention midfield.

And keeper if De Gea goes Madrid.

Eh, I don't think the midfield situation is alarming. Herrera and Di Maria are there, with Carrick and Fellaini as solid backups. I think it's the last position Ghaal will try to reinforce.

As for keeper, they signed Valdes, if De Gea goes, they only need to find a decent(ish) replacement.

Can see them definitely moving for Cavani and Hummels.

I can see them signing Cavani but I think Hummels will stay in Dortmund.

I'm curious, how do Man Utd fans reconcile their Man City-like spending for less than Man City-like returns? I can't imagine the cognitive dissonance of seeing your once-noble football club spunking hundreds of millions up a wall to stumble into fourth place behind Southampton.

Well, whatever it takes, right? Leave no scrap of dignity unsold. Maybe you can put some Exxon-Mobil logos on your shorts or something. There's money in that.

Splatt

Man Utd fans make me laugh, you'd think your WHOLE team needs rebuilding the way some people go on lol.

If they want to win the title again and be competitive in the CL, then yeah, their team needs a complete overhaul.

Fergie isn't around anymore to work miracles with shit squad.

LegoArmo

I'm curious, how do Man Utd fans reconcile their Man City-like spending for less than Man City-like returns? I can't imagine the cognitive dissonance of seeing your once-noble football club spunking hundreds of millions up a wall to stumble into fourth place behind Southampton.

Well, whatever it takes, right? Leave no scrap of dignity unsold.

Benefits of being the biggest club in the world.

Salvadora

De Gea going to Madrid would be a pretty big blow.

Would be frightening to see that defence without a world class keeper.

Guess we'll find out when/if the Madrid PR machine roll into town.

Well, whatever it takes, right? Leave no scrap of dignity unsold. Maybe you can put some Exxon-Mobil logos on your shorts or something. There's money in that.

Please, City finished 5th after their first splurge.

We're ahead of the game, like always.

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/0CBD7EFFBA1171618352200867840_366e656bd82.1.5.2047238407368133339.mp4

BwNL0oP.png

City have spend 2x in net spend compared to United over the last decade I believe. So there's that.

FC United are going to play Benfica in a friendly at the end of the season. Pretty amazing job pulling that off, can't imagine Benfica are getting paid much, if anything, for it.

What was our resident poet called again?

Man Utd fans make me laugh, you'd think your WHOLE team needs rebuilding the way some people go on lol.

Well, just look at our first XI versus Bayern, RM and Barca, and then you can see why we say that. We're certainly not aiming to simply 'be in the fight' for things. The club aims to be among the best in the next few years.

If we were aiming to simply stabilise at 'fighting for top 4' standard then you'd have a point.

El Cid

Neo Member
Yeah, that doesn't sound good for Man U if De Gea goes. That defence won't get fixed by just buying Hummels and I doubt Gaal will have an unlimited amount of money to spend. They should triple De Gea's wages, at least.

Bold One

You may want to try winning something, anything in the next couple of seasons. Corporate sponsors have little patience for mediocrity.

United's Europa League adventures, brought to you by Lockheed Martin and Comcast?

damn, thats a lot of shade

why are you so salty?

Elchele

Anyone here watched 'Los cronocrímenes' (Timecrimes)?

Spanish film. I usually don't like spanish films but this sounds interesting

RiggyRob

You may want to try winning something, anything in the next couple of seasons. Corporate sponsors have little patience for mediocrity.

United's Europa League adventures, brought to you by Lockheed Martin and Comcast?

Tell that to the 750m deal Adidas gave us after finishing seventh.

To be fair though, I will be legitimately disappointed if we can't win the FA Cup this year considering Arsenal and Liverpool are the highest quality teams left and we've beaten both this season.

I'm glad Shake has finally found a voice in this thread and I'm honoured United are the club to have given it to him.

EPL man, all powerful EPL.

Tell that to the 750m deal Adidas gave us after finishing seventh.

To be fair though, I will be legitimately disappointed if we can't win the FA Cup this year considering Arsenal and Liverpool are the highest quality teams left and we've beaten both this season.

You'd like to think so but we couldn't even beat Cambridge :(

Sorry Shake but that's weak as fuck, for reason's I explained to you last time you came in here windmilling your arms.

We have money because we earned it and we're better at making it than everyone else. Likening our wealth and the way we earn it to City, Chelsea and PSG is embarrassingly wide of the mark.

City were shit for the first couple of seasons they splurged as Viva said. We're not going to become excellent again over night with the level of competition in the league although I agree we should be doing better. Kudos to Southampton though.

Once noble club? Why because we spent less than everyone while the Glazers syphoned money out of the club. Fucking noble that. We're just lucky we had one of the best managers the game's ever seen.

Guys why are you chomping on the bait pls stop.

Better than losing to Middlesborough or Bradford.

Heh I guess but it is pretty much their lowest priority right now.

We do have a kind draw if we get past Cambridge through so yes there isn't any real excuse. But this United team could lose any game any time, it's that vulnerable. It'd be nice to win the FA Cup, mainly cos we haven't won it in ages...but even if we do and end up in the top 4 I just hope it isn't seen as some kind of success. A long way to go still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom