• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/2015 |OT12| Old Man Looking For 17 year olds. Contact Arsene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The Reds lost but I just got promoted.

Life is a roller coaster, you've just got to ride it.

CONGRATS BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!

we got promoted in the same month, coincidence? I think not. Ain't nobody got time for walking alone #ANGTFWA

jts

...hate me...
Yes. Sell him before we play you soon

R u afraid of Shaktar m8
iQL2bfbIseR4S.png

Calma.

Bold One

I knew someone was going to pluck out that hyphenated term. I almost removed it in an edit, because how could someone read seven sentences and not fixate on the one word that bothers them? Context is important, and not just in the Witcher games.

Lovers can make love without the female one disappearing and the male one chasing after her on a world-spanning quest (I know, because no one I've ever had sex with has disappeared
much as I may have wanted them to
). That isn't mere context; it isn't just some situation that Geralt and Yennefer find themselves in. A group of guys, bereft of any interesting ideas, resorted to another hoary banality; and in the end another video game was shat out onto humanity.

I was referring exclusively to the Witcher games as they were the focus of the topic, a for the 'hyphenated term'? you brought it up.

But I'll take L1NETT's point and we should leave it at that

Hixx

Getting Captain Toad tomorrow. Still need to finish Resi, finish Far Cry, finish Ass Creed Unity, Gat Out of Hell, Bayonetta 2... pls stop making games for a while

Hixx

@JHunterChron 2m2 minutes ago
Apparently, day and KO time of #safc/Fulham FA Cup 5th round tie at Bradford is still to be confirmed

You may get your TV wish, l1nett, when the mighty Sunderland steamroll Fulham.

TrueBlue

One of my friends (Liverpool fan) went to the game last night.

Just sent me this text:

"Rent boy cunts. Such a shit ground. Dead fans. Small and cramped stadium too, thought they were a big club?"

HVDcRns.png

uMW3dcp.png

The Reds lost but I just got promoted.

Life is a roller coaster, you've just got to ride it.

Congrats!

@Hixx: Captain Toad is brilliant, highly recommended. I'll need to finish it when uni eventually gets off my back. Just be wary of how much you move the Gamepad around.

inky

Never had any problem with The Witcher sex scenes (scene?)

now Mass Effect and DA on the other hand

Aye, I've always had a problem with this, especially because apparently Mass Effect and Dragon Age are some sort of achievement, which makes me roll my eyes even more.

I know you are talking about how they are animated and shit (which is clumsy and groan worthy to say the least) but I'm gonna focus on other things just to point out how ridiculous the arguments these people have are:

Mass Effect 1 was the ultimate sci-fi sexual fantasy: banging the sexy blue alien was the goal and it was even marketed that way, and in my opinion it was no different from how those anime dating games work: talk enough to the character you want to bang and your ultimate reward will be a sex scene. That's it. I mean, shit, Liara is part of a sexy "female only" alien race that can have sex with any other kind of alien. Yea, that's not adolescent fantasy at all.

People can argue all about how they are pursuing meaningful relationships and shit, but there is no doubt the reward is always the sex scene. It's a power fantasy in all their games.

Mass Effect 2 was just as bad, more so because they added a character called Kelly Chambers, who apparently is some kind of "psychologist" and that lets her get intimate with everyone, but in reality only exists to get passed around on your ship, and yes, that includes you. They also made characters who were not interested in you sexually now available just because of fan demand. If that isn't just feeding into your power fantasy I don't know what it is. But it was the same thing: talk to people enough, get a sex scene reward.

One of the usual people "aha, gotcha" moments is when they tell you: but you have to do the work, get to know the character, talk to them and in a way romance them, which doesn't happen in The Witcher. Which is a comment that makes me roll my eyes too. Yes, perhaps the relationship aspect in The Witcher is not fleshed out, but the relationships in that universe exist beyond the player input. You understand Geralt has a deeper relationship with these people that is set and you don't necessarily need to be a part of it, and it falls perfectly in line with the kind of game it is, starting with: you mold a character in Mass Effect. You didn't create or shape Geralt.

In fact, I would argue that "casual sex" would be more likely to happen in any of those games, especially in the "end of the world" scenario a game like Mass Effect 2 proposes. That's why I though Jack was one of the more real characters in that universe.

The other thing they point out and bothers me is what they did on Dragon Age 2. I remember complaining about the game and some misguided soul just yelled at me for " just hating that the characters were bisexual". Yes, characters this time around could be romanced regardless of your gender, but that didn't make them bisexual and it bothered me that all those "open minded" people couldn't see that fact. They weren't characters who culturally and sexually identified themselves as such, and behaved as such. I think it was in fact the worst implementation of their romance bullshit they've done so far. Characters were Hawke-sexual, which means they only exist to say yes to you, regardless of your character or how you behave. They have no sexual personality and are only there to please you. It just so happens that you get to pick if you are male or female. I think only one character in that game refuses your advances but that is more because he's sworn off sex than anything else. He was DLC anyway, so who cares.

To some degree that is actually offensive, and if not offensive, a pretty terrible way to create your characters who are supposed to be deep and have personalities. Power fantasy anyone?

For Mass Effect 3 I've already talked about Chobot and that nonsense, but another character that bothered me beyond their usual thing was Steve. He wasn't a party character, and he was gay. I remember most of the conversations with him were in fact about his dead gay husband whom he loved so much and was now dead, and it surprised me how quickly those changed into conversations where you kind of flirt with each other. People in the ME threads told me it was because you were "helping him move on", but is there any reason I couldn't help him move on without taking that immediate step forward and have to sex him? I mean, yes, you as a player can stop before that happens I guess, but the game lets you go that far instead of having the character behave better. All just for the sake of you sexing who you want to sex.

So yea, The Witcher's portrayals of sex are pretty adolescent, male oriented power fantasies, but if any of those people complaining are the same people who applaud the treatment of sex and romance in Bioware games just because they have some added variety, I'd say they are very misguided people, if not outright hypocrites.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Some good points there inky, thanks for the detailed post, I'm not worthy :lol

I wasn't actually referring to their stupid animation but more, as you pointed out, how you were sexing just for the sake of sexing in a video game
Yurt loves Fassbender.

Yurt hates Apple.

Fassbender plays Steve Jobs in new movie.

What will Yurt do?

Watch it anyway because Yurt hates Ashton Kutcher more

Yeah I get you. I hated the romance stuff in Dragon Age 2 because saying something nice is often 'flirting' in the game in a sense. It all feels wrong when you're trying to comfort Anders but what comes out of your mouth is another way of saying 'I want anal'.

Mass Effect's just feels meh when it comes to relationships. The third game felt like romance was just shoed in. Didn't feel natural at all.

DA: I was done well imo. It's not easy, and it feels like you're actually progressing naturally into one. Not perfect, but I kinda like how they dealt with it.

Meier

Cartoon, I think I'm gonna have to stick with Meier on this one.
And to clarify, I just meant that Apu is kind of ubiquitous in terms of what people in America equate with an Indian accent. He's ruined the accent in terms of it having a chance to be considered sexy.

Little old Eibar is in the clear due to a lack of B team, lol.

jesalr

And to clarify, I just meant that Apu is kind of ubiquitous in terms of what people in America equate with an Indian accent. He's ruined the accent in terms of it having a chance to be considered sexy.
Hah, definitely. I was born and raised in London though, so not a lick of an Indian accent.

Rikkun

AHAHAHA

I assume you're going to buy Bb, right? We should make a FootyGAF party or something, we have many DS fans here, surprisingly!

I actually hate DS, but I impulse buy a lot of shit so I might end up getting it. I don't even know when it's supposed to be out.
oh my fucking god can you keep your boring ridiculous over-analyzation of FANTASY FICTION IN A COMPUTER GAME in gaming pls

image.php

Sorry bruv, I don't think I've ever heard that one before. Apu ruined any level of sexiness for you all.

Cheers guys.

Cartoon, I think I'm gonna have to stick with Meier on this one.

Indian brown, and atheist too, so maybe they'll take pity.

8PC7DY3.gif

Rikkun

a list of which accents are "considered sexy" in what country would be interesting

In Italy I'd say we split into Spanish and French

I love spanish when it's hot outside and french when I feel slower.

German feels too hard, English sounds funny because of the Laurel & Hardy dub.

KidJr

Why is the topic such a hot debate, sex in videogames. We shoot and kill people in videogames all the time, why does it matter if people want to have sex as well. And I dont wannt hear about there being a reason behind why you have to kill those people because thats not a logical argument, you're playing a videogame.

Meier

Scott Sinclair still plays for City?? Talk about forgotten.

Yep. He even played in the Hamburg friendly! Villa supposedly back in for him.. they don't want to pay much of anything and City are standing firm. Probably just trying to get him to waive any sort of loyalty bonus he might have. He actually looked pretty good in the preseason games.. I really thought we might see him get some minutes this year but nothing basically. Kind of weird. I guess he has played in 2 league games but surely for just a few minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom