• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/2015 |OT12| Old Man Looking For 17 year olds. Contact Arsene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scum

TRANSFER GOSSIP
West Brom manager Tony Pulis has made a £4m bid for Wigan winger Callum McManaman but the 23-year-old, who is also attracting interest from Bournemouth, is valued at £6m by his current side. (Daily Telegraph)
Swansea have put in a £4m bid for defender Martin Olsson and Norwich are considering granting the 26-year-old a return to the top flight. (Daily Express)
Everton manager Roberto Martinez says the club must show they can satisfy winger Kevin Mirallas's ambitions before the Belgium international commits to a new contract at Goodison Park. (Guardian)
Liverpool have pulled out of a deal to bring striker Divock Origi to Anfield early. The Anfield club paid £10m to sign the 19-year-old Belgium frontman in the summer before loaning him back to Lille under terms of the deal and had been in discussions about him coming to the club in January. (Daily Star)
However, Brendan Rodgers's side are in pole position to land Ipswich teenage midfield star Teddy Bishop, 18, who has broken into Mick McCarthy's team this season, making 18 appearances. (Daily Mirror)
Villarreal centre-half Gabriel Paulista, 24, says his agent is in talks with Arsenal over a possible January transfer to the Gunners. (Guardian)
Striker Rudy Gestede, 26, is unhappy that Blackburn are demanding at least £6m for him in the January transfer window. (Sky Sports)

OTHER GOSSIP
Hull City manager Steve Bruce has publicly criticised his goalkeeper Allan McGregor, and captain Curtis Davies after mistakes in Sunday's 3-0 defeat at West Ham. (Guardian)
West Ham United co-owners David Sullivan and David Gold have revealed a 10-point plan for the club in a letter marking their five-year anniversary at Upton Park. (Daily Mail)
Everton manager Roberto Martinez has complained to referees' chief Mike Riley about Everton's treatment at the hands of officials this season because he feels they have been on the receiving end of "too many decisions without justification". (Times - subscription required)
Swansea striker Bafetimbi Gomis, 29, has put his future in doubt after saying the Welsh club have gone back on their promises. (Sun - subscription required)
Spurs striker Emmanuel Adebayor, 30, has revealed he has no intention of leaving Tottenham this season but says he is at the club to make money and score goals, not endear himself to fans. (Daily Mail)
QPR manager Harry Redknapp has put on-loan West Ham striker Mauro Zarate, 27, on to a strict fitness regime after he was not deemed fit enough to start against Manchester United recently and faces a race to be fit to face Stoke on 31 January. (Daily Mirror)

BEST OF SOCIAL MEDIA
West Ham striker Andy Carroll delighted in his straightforward opener in Sunday's 3-0 win over Hull City, writing on Twitter: "Nothing better than a tap in. Tap tap tappy-roo!!! Good win 3-0."
Arsenal forward Alexis Sanchez was in predictably upbeat mood after his side's 2-0 win at Manchester City. On Twitter, the Chile international shared a picture from the Gunners' flight home alongside the message: "Happy for the win and for my team mates."
West Brom striker Saido Berahino, who has scored 14 goals this season and earned an England call-up, posted a video on Instagram with the message: "Crazy how things turn out to be. In this video I was fighting back from a serious injury that could have stopped me from playing football."

AND FINALLY...
West Ham's shirts for Sunday's win over Hull City still bore the name of sponsors Alpari although the currency broker shut its UK arm late last week, leaving the Upton Park side with a shortfall in their finances. (Daily Telegraph)

FootballFan

Dat football/soccer thread.

I hate those threads. Nfl fans will say american football is better. Football fans will say football is better. And each set of fans will make stupid incorrect statement and assumptions about the other sport.

No point.

Elchele

I hate those threads. Nfl fans will say american football is better. Football fans will say football is better. And each set of fans will make stupid incorrect statement and assumptions about the other sport.

No point.

who said there was a point? We all know football is better, people like american football because they were raised in it but at least the current format of it is pure shit. Basketball is the only decent american sport

valeo

"West Ham striker Andy Carroll delighted in his straightforward opener in Sunday's 3-0 win over Hull City, writing on Twitter: "Nothing better than a tap in. Tap tap tappy-roo!!! Good win 3-0."

Dear god. Someone shoot Andy now.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
who said there was a point? We all know football is better, people like american football because they were raised in it but at least the current format of it is pure shit. Basketball is the only decent american sport

i am still baffled that american sports have no punishment at all for being last on the league. it sounds so dirty to me.

Slizz

I like College American Football way more than the NFL. Prefer proper football to them both, have for about 4 years now...... I haven't bought a version of any American Football game for about a decade now.

No point.

I love the NFL. Great sport to just watch with some buddies. You don't have to have much of an attention span to keep up with it so you can chat shit and catch up. I always watch one game a week with my mates.

But watching live at the stadium is a bore. To stop/start. Give me 90 minutes of constant motion anytime.

GorillaJu

Mirei Kiritani

What? Really? God damn all look same, eh

That really looks like Ishihara
matome_20140825084759_53faf83f9712f.png

pulga

Banned
I'm loving the football vs soccer thread
BwNL0oP.png

--

Someone give me good tips on interviews pls, got a BIG one tomorrow.

Bold One

BwNL0oP.png

--

Study up on the company, when it started, who is in charge etc

Always express directly or indirectly how your experiences and achievements overlap with the requirements of the particular job.

Be clear on why you want the position

Make eye contact

and SMILE (not excessively in a creepy way though)
Zh1RrNj.png

BwNL0oP.png

--

Look and sound cheerful. Friendliness goes a long way.

Act confident.

When you enter the room, shake his hand while maintaining eye contact. Smile.

If you get all this three right, you'll get the job (if your resume is up to par)

pulga

Banned
Study up on the company, when it started, who is in charge etc

Always express directly or indirectly how your experiences and achievements overlap with the requirements of the particular job.

Be clear on why you want the position

Make eye contact

and SMILE (not excessively in a creepy way though)
Zh1RrNj.png

I've been reading the company's latest annual report, vision, mission, and all that beeswax. My experiences don't really directly overlap with anything as this company is in a completely different business than what I'm used to, but I think I have a pretty good idea on how to indirectly link my shit with theirs.

I want the position because I want money :lol What the hell else am I supposed to say? Mmmm...maybe some bullshit on how I want to learn and grow side by side with them, with the aim of becoming a valuable member of the company?

I think I'm gonna jerk a couple of ones out before going into the interview, relax myself. Yeah, I've been watching "Wolf of Wall Street" today. D: Thanks m8er

Look and sound cheerful. Friendliness goes a long way.

Act confident.

When you enter the room, shake his hand while maintaining eye contact. Smile.

If you get all this three right, you'll get the job (if your resume is up to par)

pls you make it sound so easy
dt8VE4X.png

I've been reading the company's latest annual report, vision, mission, and all that beeswax. My experiences don't really directly overlap with anything as this company is in a completely different business than what I'm used to, but I think I have a pretty good idea on how to indirectly link my shit with theirs.

I want the position because I want money :lol What the hell else am I supposed to say? Mmmm...maybe some bullshit on how I want to learn and grow side by side with them, with the aim of becoming a valuable member of the company?

I think I'm gonna jerk a couple of ones out before going into the interview, relax myself. Yeah, I've been watching "Wolf of Wall Street" today. D: Thanks m8er

pls you make it sound so easy
dt8VE4X.png

It is :/

Interviews are to see if a person is worth working with. No one wants to work with an asshole.

Blablurn

being sick sucks.

woke up at 4am always in the last days.

and in the evening i cannot fall asleep.

plus no bundesliga until the 30th.

just kill me already
D5Jy4CR.png

Bold One

If its a sales job then your desire to make money will get you the job on the spot, but interviewers aren't stupid, of course you want money, who doesn't?

but it can't be your ONLY motivation.

Try and talk about what you like about the particular position what it allows you to do that you may enjoy...

Salazar

Everton manager Roberto Martinez has complained to referees' chief Mike Riley about Everton's treatment at the hands of officials this season because he feels they have been on the receiving end of "too many decisions without justification". (Times - subscription required)

:lol

Crybaby powerpoint time.

Probity

In the spirit of job interview talk (good luck Pulga), I can't wait until I'm older and doing something not stereotypical of Teenagers work-wise.

Note: I am a cashier at Target for the time being since I realized that it is sort of hard to go a few months or so in the US and have no money ever.
It probably helps that I'm 17.

But yeah, seriously, I am destined for so much more and I don't think I can take wasting my time like this too much longer. Need experience to get a real job later though, I guess. Woo.

As a side note, I have become so aggravated with the stupid Alex from Target bs from a few months ago, it has completely ruined my job, assuming it was tolerable before. Apparently I share some features with him and I am just so fucking tired of people asking to take pictures with me for the fun of it. Americans are crazy people.

Hearing Wenger talk about the Man City reinforces my belief that we are a small team.

How many times has he come out with stuff like that after an important win and not built on it? We beat Man City with a good defensive performance, but it will mean nothing if we don't play like that week in and out. 90 minutes doesn't make a season.

We have shown we have the ability and now I want to see us cut out the errors for the rest of the season. We will get beat again and we will concede goals, but at least if we can play like that then it will take a special effort for a team to beat us, instead of us just giving a side three easy points.

In the spirit of job interview talk (good luck Pulga), I can't wait until I'm older and doing something not stereotypical of Teenagers work-wise.

Note: I am a cashier at Target for the time being since I realized that it is sort of hard to go a few months or so in the US and have no money ever.
It probably helps that I'm 17.

But yeah, seriously, I am destined for so much more and I don't think I can take wasting my time like this too much longer. Need experience to get a real job later though, I guess. Woo.

As a side note, I have become so aggravated with the stupid Alex from Target bs from a few months ago, it has completely ruined my job, assuming it was tolerable before. Apparently I share some features with him and I am just so fucking tired of people asking to take pictures with me for the fun of it. Americans are crazy people.

But what if you are not? Embrace it dude, be the best darn cashier you can be :D. I believe in you.

Who is Alex from target mate.

Most likely some guy who keeps get mistaken with Probity from Target

Probity

Who is Alex from target mate.

An American social media phenomenon that lasted like 2 weeks where some guy that is a cashier for Target named Alex had a picture of him taken while bagging beyond his knowledge and it was posted on Twitter. Since he looks attractive or something at the angle, he blew up quick overnight and since he lives in Texas, had a lasting effect on all the people somewhat close by, like where I am currently.

He ended up drawing so much attention to the store that stock rose a little but he was fired due to the calamity of weird teenage girls swarming the store.

Here is the picture:

Probity

But what if you are not? Embrace it dude, be the best darn cashier you can be :D. I believe in you.

If I am not then fuck. I'm a pretty damn good cashier though, not to brag much. I have the highest ratings besides these two cheaters in the ranks that only get good surveys and stuff because one is a sweet old lady
who is secretly evil when not on the job,
and a disabled guy who is actually kind of cool. $8 is kind of not for me though, and I actually pretty much hate the job itself anyways. Target is an incredibly poorly run organization, honestly.

The ironic thing is, I could potentially get terminated due to a weak company policy, which means all my pointless numbers and struggles with stupid 14 year old girls has been for naught.

Linius

You're 17 and you work at Target and besides that you do nothing? Go to college m8
uMW3dcp.png

Also, you must be the youngest footy gaffer now.

GorillaJu

So when Origi is in the team in the summer and we have an attacking line-up of Sturridge, Origi, Coutinho, Sterling, Lallana & Markovic... I'd say we've got a pretty nice looking team. Presumably we'll be bringing in a player on the level of what we wanted last summer with Sanchez, and the Sunday Times is reporting that Liverpool (among others) are looking at Falcao. Assuming the deal we'd potentially get is a little more grounded than what United agreed to, I'd be very much for that deal. Think Falcao has been used poorly by Van Gaal, or perhaps more so that he just doesn't fit the system he wants them to play. Falcao taking Suarez's old spot in the front 3 of Sterling/Suarez/Sturridge would have huge potential.

The other potential top class attackers I'd love to see us go for would be Lacazette, Dybala and Vietto, though I could see Chelsea swinging in to take Lacazette as a replacement for Remy, and Dybala could easily go to a team better than us, with more money and higher aspirations, leaving Vietto as the most realistic of those three options (and someone who we've allegedly been scouting for some time).

Rodgers pls, reinforce the battleship ;_;

Zabojnik

That Giovinco deal is just insane. When all is said and done he'll be making more money than Kaka, Villa, Gerrard ... His agent deserves a statue.

Clegg

So when Origi is in the team in the summer and we have an attacking line-up of Sturridge, Origi, Coutinho, Sterling, Lallana & Markovic... I'd say we've got a pretty nice looking team. Presumably we'll be bringing in a player on the level of what we wanted last summer with Sanchez, and the Sunday Times is reporting that Liverpool (among others) are looking at Falcao. Assuming the deal we'd potentially get is a little more grounded than what United agreed to, I'd be very much for that deal. Think Falcao has been used poorly by Van Gaal, or perhaps more so that he just doesn't fit the system he wants them to play. Falcao taking Suarez's old spot in the front 3 of Sterling/Suarez/Sturridge would have huge potential.

The other potential top class attackers I'd love to see us go for would be Lacazette, Dybala and Vietto, though I could see Chelsea swinging in to take Lacazette as a replacement for Remy, and Dybala could easily go to a team better than us, with more money and higher aspirations, leaving Vietto as the most realistic of those three options (and someone who we've allegedly been scouting for some time).

Rodgers pls, reinforce the battleship ;_;
I'd disregard that Falcao report if I were you.

Duncan Castles is a very, very bad source for these things,

Clegg

Tbh I wouldn't like Falcao to go to another PL club anyway. I don't think he's as bad as some are making out. He's getting into the right areas to score, but it's just not coming off for him right now. But that can change in an instant and he could easily go on a massive scoring run.

GHG

The biggest issue with Falcao is the price and his wages.

You just don't want to spend that amount of cash on someone that "needs time" or "might come good".

Plus with his recent injury and the age that he's at it just doesn't make much sense.

For that kind of money (including wages) you can get a couple of top class players in their mid 20's who can have an immediate impact.

The biggest issue with Falcao is the price and his wages.

You just don't want to spend that amount of cash on someone that "needs time" or "might come good".

Plus with his recent injury and the age that he's at it just doesn't make much sense.

For that kind of money (including wages) you can get a couple of top class players in their mid 20's who can have an immediate impact.

And that's assuming that he's even the age he says he is.

He sure looks 33 years old

Plasma

Banned
Tbh I wouldn't like Falcao to go to another PL club anyway. I don't think he's as bad as some are making out. He's getting into the right areas to score, but it's just not coming off for him right now. But that can change in an instant and he could easily go on a massive scoring run.

If he was given a run of games I think he'll start banging them in but because of the amount of money his on people expect him to just come in and adapt straight away.

GorillaJu

I don't really understand how a lack of relegation leads to less predictability at the top

@odd, we need to start climbing the table pretty fucking quickly to attract those players.

Meh, you see players, especially sub-25 talents, move all the time to teams that aren't challenging for top honors in PL teams. Give them game time, give them a good manager, and convince them that they'll thrive in your system, and it can be done. It's not as if Vietto, for example, is an Eden Hazard. He's been playing for Villareal for all of 8 months now, and didn't have an exemplary record in Argentina before moving over. Dybala and Lacazette would be harder sells, but both would still be entirely possible, depending on what other teams are barking up that tree.

I had no idea the Times article re: Falcao was written by Duncan Castles. Dude is hopeless. Still think given his agent's comments that Falcao won't be staying at United. He was being shopped around in the summer and United were the only ones to bite... if we took a second look and decided it was worth a go this time, then it wouldn't be impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom