• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/2015 |OT12| Old Man Looking For 17 year olds. Contact Arsene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

Not sure Falcao would go to yet another non-CL team at this stage of his career. Surprised he even came to us.

I can't quite see him doing another probation loan in the PL.

Although it is the optimal medium of exposure for Mendes assets. Pass the parcel with a shaky-kneed striker isn't a good look.

John Carver's Sherwood-esque desperation to hang on to the big job is a bit embarrassing. Assistant managers aren't managers in waiting, mate.

Plasma

Banned
Anyone who watches La Liga is Gabriel Paulista any good? Guardian are linking us with a move for him which is slightly more credible than some of the other papers.

scabro

its too bad all the third party ownership/agent crap screwed falcao's career the way it did. Imagine if he had gone straight from Porto the PL, or straight from Atletico.

pulga

Banned
Well we're gonna need a backup striker once we send Chicharito back to United.

Bienvenido, Radamel.
02Do2Ff.png

Salazar

Speaking of which

A smile broke out across Manuel Pellegrini’s face when he was asked to consider a question that seemed to have been devised with a headline in mind. Does Manchester City’s acquisition of Wilfried Bony mean they now boast the strongest striking lineup in Europe? “Well let me see, it is so difficult to compare,” the City manager said, defusing the prompt with his usual mixture of politeness and amusement. “If you go to Barcelona you have Suárez, Messi, Neymar and Pedro. If you go to Real Madrid you have Ronaldo, Bale, Hernández and James.

a) just say no, you fucking muppet. Clearly you don't.
b) he mentioned Chicha and not Benz :lol :lol :lol

Speaking of which

a) just say no, you fucking muppet. Clearly you don't.
b) he mentioned Chicha and not Benz :lol :lol :lol

Hard to answer

Best selection of strikers imo, nowhere near the best selection of attackers. I'd rather Chelsea, Barca, Madrid, or Bayern's. And by a distance.

There's a fucking gargantuan gulf between Aguero/Bony/Dzeko(sometimes)/Silva, and the supporting cast of Nasri, Milner and Navas. Though if you count Toure as part of the strikeforce, it gets closer.

You could say the same about Barca I guess, but Messi propels that attacking unit singlehandedly to being one of the best.

@morsel, how do you feel about the rarity of item drops in Dota now? I don't care for items and the like much, but its starting to annoy me quite a bit. It was just a nice suprise to occasionally get something at the end of a match other than MMR and another match to go on your record.

sohois

Liverpool aren't going for Falcao. They had the option at the end of the summer and instead went for Balotelli. Now that he has largely flopped at United I can't imagine Liverpool thinking it's a good idea to go back in for him and bank on him being misused at Utd - they might as well just continue to gamble on Balo.

In fact I can't imagine Liverpool buying any big players in attack. rodgers will be wanting a CM to replace Gerrard, so maybe there will be an attacking CM at most. The only real attackers will be more youngsters like Origi, someone like Patrick Roberts or something. Coutinho, Lallana, Sterling, Markovic, Ibe and possibly Alberto or Teixera on the wings/AM; Sturridge, Origi, Balotelli, Lambert, Borini all possibly up front, not to mention any other young players who might stake a claim. Of course a lot of those players might be sold but I don't see enough being shifted where it's worth making a big purchase.

Liverpool aren't going for Falcao. They had the option at the end of the summer and instead went for Balotelli. Now that he has largely flopped at United I can't imagine Liverpool thinking it's a good idea to go back in for him and bank on him being misused at Utd - they might as well just continue to gamble on Balo.

In fact I can't imagine Liverpool buying any big players in attack. rodgers will be wanting a CM to replace Gerrard, so maybe there will be an attacking CM at most. The only real attackers will be more youngsters like Origi, someone like Patrick Roberts or something. Coutinho, Lallana, Sterling, Markovic, Ibe and possibly Alberto or Teixera on the wings/AM; Sturridge, Origi, Balotelli, Lambert, Borini all possibly up front, not to mention any other young players who might stake a claim. Of course a lot of those players might be sold but I don't see enough being shifted where it's worth making a big purchase.

We could roll a dice to decide which of Balotelli, Lambert and Borini to sell and they could have no complaints :p

Messi

Neymar is very good, but if you remove Messi from that attacking unit, I doubt Neymar would be able to prop it up to still being one of the top 5 in the world.

I feel like Suarez is having the exact same kind of first season as Neymar. He is trying too much and panicking so he ends up looking goofy / tripping over the ball / giving it away and not finishing chances. Neymar was terrified to shoot in his first year, he was always looking for Messi. Suarez is doing this. I can't wait until next season when they have all gelled.

Glad the goat has returned to form recently though. Neymar has been dope too.

The biggest issue with Falcao is the price and his wages.

You just don't want to spend that amount of cash on someone that "needs time" or "might come good".

Plus with his recent injury and the age that he's at it just doesn't make much sense.

For that kind of money (including wages) you can get a couple of top class players in their mid 20's who can have an immediate impact.

Not sure Falcao would go to yet another non-CL team at this stage of his career. Surprised he even came to us.

Yea, I wouldn't mind getting Falcao for like 15 million pounds, but not 45 million. How long is his Monaco contract anyway? Isn't the issue that Monaco basically can't afford him anymore with the owner divorce?

I still think Falcao can be a good striker for another 3-4 years, LVG has used him poorly. He has never had a proper run of games with a proper team around him. We have seen that with Falcao on the pitch and ADM in midfield we create more chances as he runs into spaces and ADM can pick him out. RVP will be 32 next season, he can't be our first choice. Rooney is midfield now I guess. Wilson can't lead the attack by himself.

FootballFan

Neymar is very good, but if you remove Messi from that attacking unit, I doubt Neymar would be able to prop it up to still being one of the top 5 in the world.

Well messi is a god so that's true. But if Suarez wasnt missing tap ins left and right and was his Liverpool self, then I'd say Neymar - Suarez - Pedro would be top 5.

Suarez is very similar to Neymar last season. Always looking for Messi.

Messi

Well messi is a god so that's true. But if Suarez wasnt missing tap ins left and right and was his Liverpool self, then I'd say Neymar - Suarez - Pedro would be top 5.

Suarez is very similar to Neymar last season. Always looking for Messi.

I like Pedro alot. He always does a job when he is put on/ played.

Yen

Odd for Liverpool to been linked with Falcao. He probably earns double of what our highest earner makes. He was great at Atletico and Porto, not sure now.

We're playing well without him and a 19-year old player coming in without a pre-season and being asked to be the difference in a CL spot challenge isn't a good plan by any stretch.
Still, it would've been good to already have him bedded in for next season.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Pedro's only problem is that his name is Pedro and on top of that he looks very generic

Bleach your hair and join the inho clan

Messi

Pedro's only problem is that his name is Pedro and on top of that he looks very generic

Bleach your hair and join the inho clan

You are not wrong. He needs to lose the mustache also. It's not working.

What's this about my man Giovinco Jurt?

sohois

We could roll a dice to decide which of Balotelli, Lambert and Borini to sell and they could have no complaints :p

I think Lambert could feel pretty hard done by.

I very much understand why he gets so much shit from the fans, but if you can take a step back and look at him more objectively I would say his contribution has been largely as expected. He's a third choice striker signed for a budget price.

Look at what other backup strikers for the top teams have contributed. Falcao has 3 league goals, Soldado has 1, Drogba is doing well at chelsea but Remy only has 2, Long has 2, Jovetic is doing well but Dzeko is having a crap season and at Arsenal they had Sanogo with 0 and now have no third choice.

Strikers can offer far more to a team than goals - Long being an example of a player who has never scored much but is still effective - but I think it illustrates the point fairly well, particularly as the lack of contribution from the strikers mentioned is well known.

It's always going to be very difficult for a team to maintain 3 top strikers, especially when most teams only play with 1 these days. Lambert gets picked out because he has at times been first choice ahead of Balotelli and an injured Sturridge, but that's not his fault.

edit: and the strikers mentioned have had similar game time except for the Chelsea pair who have rarely played and Sanogo

Bla, I'm disappointed.

I saw the "Korean girls eating American snacks and rating them" thread and instantly thought, that's a blablurn thread if I've ever seen one. And then, nothing.

KidJr

In that soccer vs Football thread, making quite an entertaining read, best quote thus far:

where as with say soccer, the first team to score a point wins.

hahaha

Will come back with some thoughts on this weekend

FootballFan

^point lol

They're an Aus webshop and they have a good deal on Layton and the Azran Legacy. Since Kiwi land is not far away I figured that might be a webshop you could have used.

Nah people here us nzgameshop or ozgameshop. (both same thing located in Sheffield uk)

It's cheaper to buy a game from Sheffield UK and have it shipped to new Zealand than it is to buy it locally. Pls.

Linius

Nah people here us nzgameshop or ozgameshop. (both same thing located in Sheffield uk)

It's cheaper to buy a game from Sheffield UK and have it shipped to new Zealand than it is to buy it locally. Pls.

Yeah, that webshop I'm talking about imports most of their stock from the UK and then sells it. So imagine me buying a game there: UK --> Australia --> The Netherlands. Still cheaper than buying it here :p

Mista

Banned
Arsenal with the best performance last night. Santi Cazorla what a complete midfielder!

tumblr_nietk49Dmy1sva2fko1_250.gif

tumblr_nietk49Dmy1sva2fko2_250.gif

There you go little magician!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom