• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Bayern just had an off day. Happens to some of the best teams in the world. Still great for Arsenal for getting all three points.

Can't wait for today's games.

I think Arsenal got it spot on. Tasked Bayern with turning massive possession near the box into decent chances inside it, and they had no answer with Lewandowski seemed strangely reticent to take a shot on.

If Bayern had played at their best they'd have won obviously, but Arsenal handily outnumbered them on proper chances. Think Arsenal played well, more than Bayern playing badly. Think Guardiola was naive in his approach, and expected Arsenal to go gung ho and leave holes at the back, and hadn't devised a suitable strategy to deal with the combination of tightness at the back and threat on the break.

They were out-thought, rather than having an off-day in terms of player-performances. Much the same thing has happened in both of their last exits from the CL iirc, when they looked like favourites for the competition and were then comprehensively out-thought and thus outplayed by reasonably predictable setups.

If Bayern set up the same way in the latter knockouts, there's no way they're winning it. They can talk about injuries, but that give that group of players that played today some proper team directives against anyone, and they should be creating more than one clear chance over an entire match.

When you're playing against a team that's just better than you, you need them to have an off-day, since even a good performance normally isn't enough otherwise. And Wenger's tactics gave them the best possible chance of both playing well, and forcing that off-day upon a superior team who were clearly tactically underprepared.

norinrad

I agree with some of what you are saying, but come on, this was a typical Arsenal, play very high and intensive in the first 25 minutes and if they do not score, the opponents get back into the game and totally neutralize them. The second half was being controlled by Bayern until that silly goal. The first 30 minutes of the first half belonged to Arsenal, after that they were nowhere to be found. Sanchez and Theo were pretty much isolated. I'm happy Arsenal got the points as they really needed it, but let's not make it into something that was clearly not the case.

MrKaepora

12122649_10153257253102426_1750052984804220419_n.jpg

12096614_1143465679014256_5972544508873001758_n.jpg

Hope that it's a good omen for tonight.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get this sentiment that Giroud is bad. I feel like everytime he comes onto a match he does something positive

It's just because he's inconsistent when he starts. He's not a world class striker who should be starting for a top club like Arsenal.

He's great off the bench as he has a hell of knack for poaching goals and being in the right place to finish. But he doesn't have the speed etc. to consistently generate scoring chances for himself.

Anyway, great win! I was not expecting that at all after how bad they've been in Champions League matches so far this year.

norinrad

All these pundits are miserable, Rio only seems to be the one making sense. It's time United bought another striker though, if Martial gets injured they are screwed. Rooney is on 300k and nobody wants him, neither can he be kept on the bench either.

Jarnet87

Could be a vital point for United. They are the only team to have gotten a result away so far in the group stage. I fast forwarded most of the game after Martial gave up the penalty but it looked same old same old. toothless in attack. CSKA spent a whole lotta effort on tracking Martial, you think the players from United could have came over to help him and take advantage of 2 defenders on him but nope.

I don't watch football but my lab partner in my Chem 2 class said he bet 800 dollars towards Real Madrid so what happens in a draw? Lol, just want to know whether he's going to come to uni depressed Friday.

Milch pls.
Why is Park so bad ?
And why is Hummels sleeping again ?
Park is just all in all average. If there weren't so few good LBs, he wouldn't be at BVB.

And Hummels should get his shit together, he has lost his concentration somewhere in the first few weeks of the season.

At least Auba is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom