• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcridMeat

Banned
Don't know why the ref waited until it was closer to blow the whistle when he could have just blown it in Chelsea's half, but anyway nice to see Leicester take care of business.

As an Arsenal fan, allow me to tell you to story of Cesc Fabregas.

Emerges. Plays great. Plays average and moves. Plays great, plays average and moves. Plays great again, plays crap. Rinse and repeat.

Excellent night, traitor doing awful makes me laugh. SUPER MESUT!

Incredible. Top of the table after 16 games. 34 goals scored, more than any other team. Utterly surreal.

I bet I see fewer Chelsea shirts in town in the coming weeks.

Moobabe

I can't believe the league has let this side be top.

1. Kick ball up the pitch as far as you can.
2. Chase it.
3. ???
4. Profit.

Eurgh. Still - why we play like gash for 60 minutes every single week is beyond me. Why it takes going down 2-0 to start playing I don't know.

Maybe change formation Jose? Maybe drop Costa for Remy? Maybe actually sign players to add to the squad that won the league last year? Maybe use some of the players on the bench and rotate?

I honestly think he started this season sending good players out on loan (Moses for example) to dig his heels in about the quality and size of the squad.

Poor again.

Emerges. Plays great. Plays average and moves. Plays great, plays average and moves. Plays great again, plays crap. Rinse and repeat.

He changed the game when he came on - but good to see Arsenal fans still bitter about him leaving for Barca.

I can't believe the league has let this side be top.

1. Kick ball up the pitch as far as you can.
2. Chase it.
3. ???
4. Profit.

Eurgh. Still - why we play like gash for 60 minutes every single week is beyond me. Why it takes going down 2-0 to start playing I don't know.

Maybe change formation Jose? Maybe drop Costa for Remy? Maybe actually sign players to add to the squad that won the league last year? Maybe use some of the players on the bench and rotate?

I honestly think he started this season sending good players out on loan (Moses for example) to dig his heels in about the quality and size of the squad.

Poor again.

Jose should got 3-4-3 against whoever we have next weekend (Watford or Sunderland), things can't get any worse and clearly the attacking license is necessary.

norinrad

Hahahahaha Cesc is going to Villa next season

Moobabe

Jose should got 3-4-3 against whoever we have next weekend (Watford or Sunderland), things can't get any worse and clearly the attacking license is necessary.

Exactly - we need to attack teams at pace from the off, not pass the ball around in circles and cut in from the flanks. We're not suited to keep the ball for ages and go nowhere.

RiggyRob

Since losing 5-2 to Arsenal, Leicester's PL form is WDWWWWDWW with 19 goals scored and 8 conceded. Sunderland were the last team to stop them scoring, back in May.

Suddenly, a 1-1 draw away against Vardy & Mahrez FC doesn't seem so bad.

Chris R

Hoping the terrible league performance has Chelsea cleaning house and getting rid of the terrible players (Cesc, Hazard and Terry to name three off the top of my head). Also, so long Jose, thanks for everything you've done over the years.

He changed the game when he came on - but good to see Arsenal fans still bitter about him leaving for Barca.

Haha, not arsed about him leaving for Barca whatsoever. Fact is he plays class, goes off the boil, moves, plays class, then plays crap and moves. Story of his career.

Moobabe

Hoping the terrible league performance has Chelsea cleaning house and getting rid of the terrible players (Cesc, Hazard and Terry to name three off the top of my head). Also, so long Jose, thanks for everything you've done over the years.

This makes little sense to me.

Imagine we got rid of Mourinho - who would you bring in?

Also Cesc is completely indicative of the team around him. If the team is playing well then he performs, if the team isn't then he can't magically make it work.

Terry's best days are behind him - but instead of signing some French no name and someone from Reading maybe we should, you know, sign a good defender to replace him?

And sell Hazard? Ok

I'm actually torn who is the more overrated player, Hazard or David Silva.

Although Hazard not scoring in 26 games proves I was right about him.

norinrad

Who do you have in mind to replace Jose? Mancini?

Moobabe

The only good thing about Leicester doing well is it's finally showing all the "me too" managers that possession football is not the only way to win football matches.

Thanks for nothing Guardiola.

R&R

As an outsider I must ask, what are the realistic prospects for Chelsea this season as they keep on losing? I remember last season Dortmund being dead last at Christmas break in Bundesliga but they managed to salvage a Europa League spot in the end, just missing out on Champions League.

Can Chelsea do the same? Surely they must spend big in the January transfer window at least? If a change of manager is not an option something must be done...? Or...is it a truly realistic scenario that they will actually have a relegation struggle?

Moobabe

And 2 up top. You can't be a good old 4-4-2 formation.

Yep - This 4-2-3-1 is all very pretty and "clever" but only works if you have an exceptional player playing in that 10 role.

Oscar is not an exceptional player. A good one? Maybe - but he doesn't score or create enough (even when we're playing well) to warrant that position.

I would have only 2 questions for Mourinho post match:

1. If you continue to lose football matches playing the same formation - why don't you change it?
2. If you continue to lose football matches playing the same players - why don't you change them?

Remy? Scores. Ramires (when freed up) affected the game. Pedro? Actually crossed a ball into the box instead of cutting in field.

Loftus-Cheek? Kenedy? Rahman? Traore? Nowhere to be seen.

As an outsider I must ask, what are the realistic prospects for Chelsea this season as they keep on losing? I remember last season Dortmund being dead last at Christmas break in Bundesliga but they managed to salvage a Europa League spot in the end, just missing out on Champions League.

Can Chelsea do the same? Surely they must spend big in the January transfer window at least? If a change of manager is not an option something must be done...? Or...is it a truly realistic scenario that they will actually have a relegation struggle?

Top 8 has to be the goal now - salvage as much as we can, write off the season and kick on - we have a small squad (down to our own stupidity and lack of rotation) with some players that need to go.

Brana, Terry, Mikel have to be on the way out and how Cahill got a NEW FOUR YEAR DEAL is simply beyond me.

We need competition for places and we simply don't have enough.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I just cant believe how good we (Leicester) are so far this season.

I'm expecting us to drop off every game but it's just not happening.
Confidence. They're a team playing with confidence, free-flowing attractive football will nearly always yield results when the team is confident.

Europa, 4th at a push.

Best chance is mid table i'd say... unless we go on a ridiculous run which just isn't happening.

January signings have been a bit on and off... for the players that did well like Matic, Cahill Ivanovic, Anelka and Luiz there is a Torres (who admittedly did help us win the CL...), Salah, Cuadrado and I'm sure there are others that didn't do so well...

Our best hope of Europe next season is to win the CL or the FA Cup. When we have done well in the CL has generally been when we have done not so well in the league but this is even more terrible than usual so... pray for an FA Cup win.

Moobabe

Best chance is mid table i'd say... unless we go on a ridiculous run which just isn't happening.

January signings have been a bit on and off... for the players that did well like Matic, Cahill Ivanovic, Anelka and Luiz there is a Torres (who admittedly did help us win the CL...), Salah, Cuadrado and I'm sure there are others that didn't do so well...

Our best hope of Europe next season is to win the CL or the FA Cup. When we have done well in the CL has generally been when we have done not so well in the league but this is even more terrible than usual so... pray for an FA Cup win.

Salah and Cuadrado who are were given barely any chance and are tearing up Seria A.

Lukaku who was given no chance and has 50 in 100.

De Bruyne? Mata?

Mourinho is too stubborn about picking players he likes and trusts - we have let UNBELIEVABLE talent leave the football club because he won't rotate.

We used the smallest amount of players in the PL when we won the league last season. Less than BURNLEY.

Lashley

Jose has just hung his players out to dry

Dressing room has to be gone, surely? Can't see him remaining much longer, even with the compo.

Moobabe

Jose has just hung his players out to dry

Dressing room has to be gone, surely? Can't see him remaining much longer, even with the compo.

I don't blame him. I would be absolutely furious if I was him. No creativity, no passion and a whole host of individual errors.

Footballers need to take some responsibility once in a while.

Lashley

I don't blame him. I would be absolutely furious if I was him. No creativity, no passion and a whole host of individual errors.

Footballers need to take some responsibility once in a while.

Yes, even so some of the shit he's said is childish and unprofessional.

Should be saying all that to them, and not the public.

Moobabe

I'd rather that than the usual cliched tripe we get at these things. The fans DO NOT want to hear "Oh the players are trying so very hard" - of course they fucking should be, they earn hundreds of thousands of pounds to kick a ball around for 90 minutes.

The fans want answers - the fans want to know what a group of players who won the league last year have lost 9 out of 16 games. We don't want excuses.

Think of it like this. If you were performing as badly at your job as the Chelsea players are now - who do you think would get the blame in that real world situation? You. You'd lose your job. Yet here we are, coddling fully grown, multi millionaires.

Empty

mourinho has absolutely broken his team with his methods. don't really see how it turns around without splurging on a largely new first team who are fresh to him or mourinho leaving the job. sure, you're seeing some shocking performances, but you don't get so many top class players simultaneously going off the boil for what's coming on half a season without something rotten at the top.

Kiyo

Think of it like this. If you were performing as badly at your job as the Chelsea players are now - who do you think would get the blame in that real world situation? You. You'd lose your job. Yet here we are, coddling fully grown, multi millionaires.

If it's pretty much everyone under performing then no, I would hope the people up top would be looking at/blaming the manager. How can a competent manager let things get to the point they're at now? With the way Mourinho was talking in the post-match interview though, I think he realizes himself that he's done. I don't think you throw your players under the bus after these past few months performance and not expect to be gone soon.

Salah and Cuadrado who are were given barely any chance and are tearing up Seria A.

Lukaku who was given no chance and has 50 in 100.

De Bruyne? Mata?

Mourinho is too stubborn about picking players he likes and trusts - we have let UNBELIEVABLE talent leave the football club because he won't rotate.

We used the smallest amount of players in the PL when we won the league last season. Less than BURNLEY.

We got a fuck load of money for them though, add in Lukaku's loan fees to WBA/Everton and we spent less on Costa than Lukaku got us.

Mata wouldn't do what the manager wanted on the pitch and KdB didn't fancy the fight...

The mistakes were Luiz and Luis, both experienced and a back 4 of: Azpili Luiz Zouma Luis sounds pretty good about now.

I have sympathy for Cuadrado, I don't think Salah was going to make it with us though.

He has been taking bullets for underperforming players all season, this is probably his last stand because nothing else is working and I back him all the way with it. If this was one of those turds we had like AVB i'd have said sack them immediately but this is Jose-fucking-Mourinho, if his record doesn't get you going on the pitch and make you think you can win anything and everything with the right effort and you will get backed all the way with that then I don't know what will.

Opposing fans don't have to like him but his record speaks for itself and is unquestionable. I back the manager because he's done it, and also because who the hell else is there? The only other person is Carlo... not exactly a likely prospect and I don't even know if he could work any magic with this lot either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom