• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmiPrime

If it's pretty much everyone under performing then no, I would hope the people up top would be looking at/blaming the manager. How can a competent manager let things get to the point they're at now? With the way Mourinho was talking in the post-match interview though, I think he realizes himself that he's done. I don't think you throw your players under the bus after these past few months performance and not expect to be gone soon.

It's either that or he knows that Ambramovich is backing him and will let him replace half the squad in January.

It's either that or he knows that Ambramovich is backing him and will let him replace half the squad in January.

You can't replace half your squad in January, its just not possible.

At best we will shift a couple, might buy three back and save any major restructuring for the summer.

EmiPrime

You can't replace half your squad in January, its just not possible.

At best we will shift a couple, might buy three back and save any major restructuring for the summer.

I was exaggerating but given how many players you have on loan that could probably be recalled it's not too outlandish!

Get rid of the troublemakers ASAP, buy a centre half and a striker if available (a big if granted) and recall a bunch of loanees and settle for a mid table finish.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'd rather that than the usual cliched tripe we get at these things. The fans DO NOT want to hear "Oh the players are trying so very hard" - of course they fucking should be, they earn hundreds of thousands of pounds to kick a ball around for 90 minutes.

The fans want answers - the fans want to know what a group of players who won the league last year have lost 9 out of 16 games. We don't want excuses.

Think of it like this. If you were performing as badly at your job as the Chelsea players are now - who do you think would get the blame in that real world situation? You. You'd lose your job. Yet here we are, coddling fully grown, multi millionaires.

He bigged himself up, saying he made the players play better than they actually are last season. What the fuck does that response achieve? Except pissing your players off and lowering morale even further.

He bigged himself up, saying he made the players play better than they actually are last season. What the fuck does that response achieve? Except pissing your players off and lowering morale even further.

I don't see what else he is to do to try and spark something from them, he tried being nice in his interviews "I'll take a bullet for them", deflecting etc

The players have nothing to be pissed off about

Lashley

I don't see what else he is to do to try and spark something from them, he tried being nice in his interviews "I'll take a bullet for them", deflecting etc

The players have nothing to be pissed off about

I guess that's true, it just doesn't seem like the sort of response that's going to inspire his players. It's more demoralizing than helpful.

I guess that's true, it just doesn't seem like the sort of response that's going to inspire his players. It's more demoralizing than helpful.

Tbh, how could they be more demoralised after that? The best hope is that next weekend they're all so pissed off to prove to the manager they aren't shit that they start individually performing better.

I mean, its not like it could get much worse.

I follow Mourinho ever since he won it all with Porto. I love him. This is my opinion which is just an opinion. This team won the league 6 months ago. It's very much the same team.

I honestly, truly feel like I know Mourinho pretty well, within what's possible in that I don't know him personally. I don't mean this to brag, truly. But I know the kind of person he is, or I believe I do. He said himself too today: he feels embarrassed by all of this. He has passion, an incredible desire to win, and he knows what he has done before. He feels absolutely ashamed by this position, I have no doubt about that. He's always there to win it.

I know Mourinho is working 100% because of this. I know he's giving it all.

But the players? I'm starting to doubt them too. I don't know them that well and I could be wrong surely, but I'm leaning towards that betrayal feeling Mourinho spoke about today.

A team that won the league 6 months ago cannot be bordering the relegation zone or nearing there for 4 whole months. It's going on for too long. These players can CAN and SHOULD be getting better results. There's no excuse. There's no excuse even if it was not Mourinho coaching but another one doing the job. There is no way that even with a David Moyes they should be that low. They are not doing what they can. And it feels it's because they don't want to. Because when you are that low, if you have ANY pride in your job and what you do, you will give 100% of what you have. And you don't need any coach to EVER tell you that. So I ABSOLUTELY agree with him when he said that maybe a few players don't feel Chelsea the same way as he does.

I'm starting to really think by the game that he is becoming the lesser guilty person in this disaster.

GHG

Gold Member
I follow Mourinho ever since he won it all with Porto. I love him. This is my opinion which is just an opinion. This team won the league 6 months ago. It's very much the same team.

I honestly, truly feel like I know Mourinho pretty well, within what's possible in that I don't know him personally. I don't mean this to brag, truly. But I know the kind of person he is, or I believe I do. He said himself too today: he feels embarrassed by all of this. He has passion, an incredible desire to win, and he knows what he has done before. He feels absolutely ashamed by this position, I have no doubt about that. He's always there to win it.

But the players? I'm starting to doubt them too. I don't know them that well and I could be wrong surely, but I'm leaning towards that betrayal feeling Mourinho spoke about today.

A team that won the league 6 months ago cannot be bordering the relegation zone or nearing there for 4 whole months. It's going on for too long. These players can CAN and SHOULD be getting better results. There's no excuse. There's no excuse even if it was not Mourinho coaching but another one doing the job. There is no way that even with a David Moyes they should be that low. They are not doing what they can. And it feels it's because they don't want to. Because when you are that low, if you have ANY pride in your job and what you do, you will give 100% of what you have. And you don't need any coach to EVER tell you that. So I ABSOLUTELY agree with him when he said that maybe a few players don't feel Chelsea the same way as he does.

I'm starting to really think by the game that he is becoming the lesser guilty person in this disaster.

I think you are right in that the players are clearly demotivated. But what it comes down to is why are the players demotivated? Why have they been allowed to be demotivated for so long? Who do they all look to for motivation? Who do they all look to when they are feeling down and need a pick me up? This, in my opinion is when it all started to go wrong:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AD6YtyurMZo

You don't win the 1st match of the season (it was a draw and not a disaster by any means) and you are already trying to blame other people? Blame your medical staff who are respected and liked by the players when they were simply doing their job? That was the beginning of the players starting to lose respect for this man and stop listening to him. Made even worse by the fact that he didn't swiftly apologise publicly afterwards (who the hell is in charge of PR at Chelsea because they should be fired). Even if he didn't want to apologise he needed to for the players, the footballing community and to save face. But no, this was allowed to drag on, with each passing day his reputation losing stock both inside and outside the club.

Then they continue to lose games. At this point it becomes the players faults. Substituting your captain at half time, subbing the sub, saying that the players are shit in post match interviews. At this point, it all gets very personal against many of the players. So if they weren't already thinking it before due to the doctor incident, they will now be thinking "this guy is a prick". This is not even taking into account the cheap pot shots he has made towards other managers who are well respected in the football community at this point (Wenger, Benitez, etc). These respected managers who some of his playing staff hold in high regard and previously played under.

So why would they want to play for him? Why would they want to run their hearts out, put their bodies on the line and risk injury for a guy who has shown a lack of respect towards everybody but himself? They are performing in Europe because they are not stupid. They know in Europe they are in the shop window so they need to keep their reputations in tact if they have any hope of escaping their manager in January or next Summer. However, in the league there is nothing to keep them going. The title is gone, top 4 is a pipe dream at this point and who actually wants to be in the Europa league?

So what's left for them to play for? Fundamentally at this point it comes down to them saying "we don't want to let the boss down". But they are letting him down, week after week after week. They don't give a shit about him and his narcissistic ways. They are just as capable of throwing him under the bus as he has been so quick to with them, and they can do that without even having to say a word.

Nyx

Sunderland? Norwich? Brentford? Anyone?

copyright-proshots-979597.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF_LiaX8Hz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgPc4HEZxC4

10 million euros and he's yours, according to Dutch Press.

Moobabe

I hate to use Benitez's word - but look at the facts. In Mourinho's first season back we should have won the league (dropping points to Sunderland, Villa etc in the home stretch) and then he takes that group and wins the league.

He won the double at Inter - including the CL - when NO-ONE fancied them to do so.

He makes players do things - he brings things out of them and makes them play better, that's evident.

But now? What is he supposed to say? "I'm a crap manager overnight"? We know he isn't - so there's something wrong.

I still maintain that we have no competition in the team - who is pushing Matic for his place? Mikel? No-one is keeping Hazard on his toes. It's our fault, certainly, but it's definitely part of the reason.

Lyng

If Chelsea was the first time I would agree with you, but it has been consistent with all the teams he manages the last years. Come season 3 and they do terrible.

Fdkn

If Chelsea was the first time I would agree with you, but it has been consistent with all the teams he manages the last years. Come season 3 and they do terrible.

Mourinho's 3rd seasons:

Porto 02/03 - 1st on League, Cup, Supercut, Uefa Cup.
Chelsea 06/07 - 2nd on Premier League, Wins FA Cup, League Cup and lose vs liverpool on UCL semifinal (editted wrong year)
Real Madrid 12/13 - As a Madrid fan, the only thing I regret about that season is that Florentino was a coward and didn't fire Casillas and Ramos for causing that civil war. Even then, we lost ucl semifinal by 1 goal and the cup final vs atletico in a match that we fully deserved to win.

I don't see a pattern here to be honest.

GHG

Gold Member
I just had this strange feeling United may go for Cesc. I really hope not

Nah Cesc's missus will keep him confined to the M25 for the foreseeable future.

She's the one who calls the shots, not him.

He'll end up somewhere like Palace long before he ventures up north.

RiggyRob

Abramovich holding an emergency meeting today to decide Mourinho's fate.

I sorta want to see him stay just to see how far Chelsea can fall, and for the drama of course. If they're holding this meeting though then I think he might be gone. But who is available to even replace him? I don't think Brendan would be a good fit.

Hiddink and Juande Ramos have been floated about, don't think there's anything substantial to them though. At that point Abramovich might as well call up Avram and see if he wants to do him a favour again.

spidye

If he had signed a new contract with Bayern it would've been announced by now.

yap

I'm so glad tight now. maybe we will have a decent medical department now and maybe the next manager doesn't fuck with our form and fitness halfway through the season

El Topo

yap

I'm so glad tight now. maybe we will have a decent medical department now and maybe the next manager doesn't fuck with our form and fitness halfway through the season

You know who will succeed him, right? Back-to-back bald managers for us. The age of Sammer will soon be upon us.

spidye

You know who will succeed him, right? Back-to-back bald managers for us.

nah we are supposedly in talks with ancelotti who will teach pep another lesson or two in tactics

just imagine the right players in their real positions. Lahm as RB, Götze as AM,
I am drooling. kinda feel bad for City though.

El Topo

nah we are supposedly in talks with ancelotti who will teach pep another lesson or two in tactics

just imagine the right players in their real positions. Lahm as RB, Götze as AM,

I completely forgot about Götze. He's still alive, right?

I'm just glad that Kloppo is at Liverpool or otherwise we would have so many dumb stories on him taking over Bayern.

Really don't care who'll be the next Bayern manager, you have to be a very bad coach to fuck it up with this squad.

If someone is cappable of making bayern lose the bundesliga, is Ancelotti.
That is if he takes over Dortmund you mean ?
working for his comeback. same as robben, costa and alaba
Götze is as elusive as the Loch Ness monster. Current Pizarro/Diego Costa-tier. And that's saying a lot.

I'm just glad that Kloppo is at Liverpool or otherwise we would have so many dumb stories on him taking over Bayern.
Make place for...
Lucien-Favre.jpeg

Lashley

Didn't Ancelotti say in October he hates watching Bayern games because there is no competition?

Also, Pep is probably the most overrated manager in the world.

Abramovich holding an emergency meeting today to decide Mourinho's fate.

I sorta want to see him stay just to see how far Chelsea can fall, and for the drama of course. If they're holding this meeting though then I think he might be gone. But who is available to even replace him? I don't think Brendan would be a good fit.

BBC guy said the board meeting already happened and they decided to stick by him so im not sure whats going to happen.

I still dont think he should go

That would be so awesome.

Just imagine it: Favre wins every match until February. Then he loses one match, throws a fit and resigns instantly.
Bayern would be snubbed. So awesome.
But deep within we know it won't happen and that all of this is just a fairy tale we tell ourselves before sleep.

Favre would be a bold move from Bayern but one that might turn out quite successful. He knows the league. Can't even imagine what he could achieve being in charge of a club that is not in the need to sell their best 2 key players every season.

Ancelotti on the other hand doesn't seem to have any incentive to go to Germany let alone learn to speak German. Highly unlikely imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom