• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
So was the only difference between Chelsea this season and last season how phenomenal Hazard was?

wow what a goal! Defenders just stood off him and watched. He had 5 yards of space.

So was the only difference between Chelsea this season and last season how phenomenal Hazard was?

wow what a goal! Defenders just stood off him and watched. He had 5 yards of space.

20 goals for Costa, 20~ assists for Fabregas... clean sheets, goals from defenders... Hazard wasn't all of it or even most of it

20 goals for Costa, 20~ assists for Fabregas... clean sheets, goals from defenders... Hazard wasn't all of it or even most of it

It's so odd. I did think of the start of the season that it might have been the constant changing of the back four, but I'm sure that was the case last season too. Chelsea fans must be going mental trying to work out just what's happened.

It's so odd. I did think of the start of the season that it might have been the constant changing of the back four, but I'm sure that was the case last season too. Chelsea fans must be going mental trying to work out just what's happened.

Over confidence/arrogance from the players
Lack of proper summer investment in the key areas
Big dressing room players leaving
Jose having a go at the physios and one of them leaving
Shorter pre-season with few matches

Im sure there are more...

norinrad

To think a shitty United team drew against such an in form team. Oh well, United has other issues, but I'm loving Leicester and i hope they can keep this up.

Chelsea is not relegating though. Let's throw that idea out of the window.

Over confidence/arrogance from the players
Lack of proper summer investment in the key areas - What were the key areas?
Big dressing room players leaving - Who left? I know Drogba did was he that important?
Jose having a go at the physios and one of them leaving - I can understand this having a bit of an impact on the players and perhaps a few of them thinking the Manager had lost the plot.
Shorter pre-season with few matches

Im sure there are more...

A few questions and thoughts in bold from a person on the outside.

A few questions and thoughts in bold from a person on the outside.

What were the key areas? - Needed a better third striker than Falcao, needed a new centre back to begin replacing JT in transition, and a better replacement for Filipe Luis, Jose doesn't trust Baba Rahman and wanted Coentrao iirc, should have sold Mikel or Ramires and got a better 3rd central midfielder to challenge Cesc/Matic too
Who left? I know Drogba did was he that important? - Drogba and Cech, Drogba came back last year when Lampard and Ashley Cole left, squad is clearly lacking leaders to stand up
I can understand this having a bit of an impact on the players and perhaps a few of them thinking the Manager had lost the plot. - I think Jose was pissed off he wanted to operate on Costa's hamstring when he kept getting injured last season but the medical team said no then he pulled up with another hamstring injury just before the season started

What were the key areas? - Needed a better third striker than Falcao, needed a new centre back to begin replacing JT in transition, and a better replacement for Filipe Luis, Jose doesn't trust Baba Rahman and wanted Coentrao iirc
Who left? I know Drogba did was he that important? - Drogba and Cech, Drogba came back last year when Lampard and Ashley Cole left, squad is clearly lacking leaders to stand up
I can understand this having a bit of an impact on the players and perhaps a few of them thinking the Manager had lost the plot. - I think Jose was pissed off he wanted to operate on Costa's hamstring when he kept getting injured last season but the medical team said no then he pulled up with another hamstring injury just before the season started

Another CB? I thought Zouma was the man? There's also that guy you got from France?
I guess another striker might have been needed, however Falcao was a great striker until his injury and he's not really had a chance in the last few seasons between his time at Man U and Chelsea to prove himself or get fit. I'm still totally baffled why Remy doesn't get a chance.
Even then Pedro could play up front.
I didn't know about the Hamstring Op veto though.

Clegg

What about all the other ones though?
If he wasn't sacked for any of the other terrible results they've had then I guess he's safe. Maybe Abramovich regrets sacking him first time round and wants to stick with him, but the only way that can work is if they ship out half their squad in the summer and bring in a dozen new players.

If he wasn't sacked for any of the other terrible results they've had then I guess he's safe. Maybe Abramovich regrets sacking him first time round and wants to stick with him, but the only way that can work is if they ship out half their squad in the summer and bring in a dozen new players.

It's the accumulation though. Monk wasn't sacked for losing to the second place team, it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Another CB? I thought Zouma was the man? There's also that guy you got from France?
I guess another striker might have been needed, however Falcao was a great striker until his injury and he's not really had a chance in the last few seasons between his time at Man U and Chelsea to prove himself or get fit. I'm still totally baffled why Remy doesn't get a chance.
Even then Pedro could play up front.
I didn't know about the Hamstring Op veto though.

JT is 35 this month... he needs a long-term replacement and they didn't sign one, defence has utterly collapsed this season and Cahill hasn't done much either. Zouma is promising and will be great but pretty raw at the moment, he's a great tackler and very fast but needs better direction and isn't so good on the ball.
Falcao was a big risk given he didn't do well at United... Remy does deserve better though, should have started against Spurs

Roman always knew that group of players could effectively go into auto-pilot and dig themselves out, I don't think he feels the same about this group.

JT is 35 this month... he needs a long-term replacement and they didn't sign one, defence has utterly collapsed this season and Cahill hasn't done much either. Zouma is promising and will be great but pretty raw at the moment, he's a great tackler and very fast but needs better direction and isn't so good on the ball.
Falcao was a big risk given he didn't do well at United... Remy does deserve better though, should have started against Spurs

I could have swore you signed a 20+ year old from a French time in the Summer. You've also got that young lad in the England U21s, yeah? Who would you have hoped they signed?

I could have swore you signed a 20+ year old from a French time in the Summer. You've also got that young lad in the England U21s, yeah? Who would you have hoped they signed?

We wanted John Stones, bid £35m+ and they said no. U21 guy... Ruben Loftus-Cheek in the midfield with Chalobah, not sure who the defender is tbh.

We signed Papy Djilobodji from Nantes on deadline day... he cost £2m and was rejected by a bunch of teams like Norwich/WBA etc I think, they clearly just bought him because there was no-one else, he's mid-20s I think

Should have shipped out Ivanovic and Terry last season.

JT played every minute last season, Ivanovic scored a load of goals and was great... Ivanovic's contract is up in June though, don't think he's getting a new one

I keep forgetting Ulloa is playing.

We wanted John Stones, bid £35m+ and they said no. U21 guy... Ruben Loftus-Cheek in the midfield with Chalobah, not sure who the defender is tbh.

We signed Papy Djilobodji from Nantes on deadline day... he cost £2m and was rejected by a bunch of teams like Norwich/WBA etc I think, they clearly just bought him because there was no-one else, he's mid-20s I think

Ah, yeah I was thinking of Chalobah didn't realise he was midfield. Hmm, maybe the John Stones saga did undo a lot of plans.

TeddyBoy

I wonder if Leicester can categorise on this enough to sigh some real 'name' talent in January. If they get the opportunity, they definitely should.

Their owners want Champions league football, it would be a good idea to buy someone else who is about as good as Mahrez in case Mahrez ever gets injured.

Chelsea score. 2-1.

Ah, yeah I was thinking of Chalobah didn't realise he was midfield. Hmm, maybe the John Stones saga did undo a lot of plans.

It was hilarious how self-righteous Everton got over given how we have bent over backwards to loan them Lukaku and Atsu ahead of other clubs, then sold them Lukaku and they poached Stones from Barnley themselves... they didn't have to sell but they parade they made about it was embarrassing. Perhaps we'll go back for him in January, i've no idea what Roman is thinking.

Probably trying to abandon ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom