• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

I'm not saying ticket prices aren't too high, it just seems weird to vilify Wenger for what is a clearly true statement.

He's not talking about Arsenal specifically, he's talking about the Premier League, and there'll be very few teams who pass this money on to their fans (and the ones that do will probably get relegated because they won't be competitive). Imagine how much Man City have just agreed to pay Guardiola, and how much they'll pay their ten new £50m signings this summer. You think they're reducing ticket prices as well? Then everyone else needs to keep up.

Wenger isn't saying this is the way it should be, he's saying it's the way it inevitably will be because that's just how football works.

There is a planned protest for the Arsenal vs Leicester game. It's only going to get fans more annoyed. He should have just said no comment. Talking about being competitive my club (Southampton) seem to do fine even though we sell players to cover new ones. So the ticket price rising doesn't effect that.

There is a planned protest for the Arsenal vs Leicester game. It's only going to get fans more annoyed. He should have just said no comment. Talking about being competitive my club (Southampton) seem to do fine even though we sell players to cover new ones. So the ticket price rising doesn't effect that.

He was asked a question, he gave his honest thoughts. You're being kinda naive, really, if you think he's in any way going to be proven wrong.

Protests or no. The problem with the big clubs is that no matter how many fans they annoy, there are always more fans to take their place.

Beefy

He was asked a question, he gave his honest thoughts. You're being kinda naive, really, if you think he's in any way going to be proven wrong.

Protests or no. The problem with the big clubs is that no matter how many fans they annoy, there are always more fans to take their place.

Not really naive. I just thought he would side step the question so he didn't annoy a already annoyed fan base. It's called respecting your supporters.

Not really naive. I just thought he would side step the question so he didn't annoy a already annoyed fan base. It's called respecting your supporters.

If he'd said no comment the headlines would have just read "WENGER REFUSES TO RULE OUT TICKET PRICE INCREASE" and he wouldn't have the chance to defend his position, and you'd still be here treating him like some kind of super-villain.

Beefy

If he'd said no comment the headlines would have just read "WENGER REFUSES TO RULE OUT TICKET PRICE INCREASE" and he wouldn't have the chance to defend his position, and you'd still be here treating him like some kind of super-villain.

Would I? Can you read my mind now? No I wouldn't, I am not even doing that now. All I am saying is with protests on increasing ticket prices happening more and more. Maybe he should think before provoking a already annoyed fan base.

Would I? Can you read my mind now? No I wouldn't, I am not even doing that now. All I am saying is with protests on increasing ticket prices happening more and more. Maybe he should think before provoking a already annoyed fan base.

Like I say, he was damned if he did, damned if he didn't, that's how the press works.

It's not like he could just outright lie.

norinrad

As he should, when he's focused he's such a great targetman and striker.
PSV defenders were put aside like little boys, he's so strong!

Well what I'm kind of worried about is, these days our players need a whole season to adjust to a different league, which makes people label them as flops. Take Memphis, he will come good next season. I hope some managers and supporters will have some patience with our players.

on topic, if Utrecht keeps their current form and hopefully with no serious injuries, they could end up in the top 3, which would be a fresh of breath air. Hoping the same for AZ too.

Beefy

Well what I'm kind of worried about is, these days our players need a whole season to adjust to a different league, which makes people label them as flops. Take Memphis, he will come good next season. I hope some managers and supporters will have some patience with our players.

on topic, if Utrecht keeps their current form and hopefully with no serious injuries, they could end up in the top 3, which would be a fresh of breath air. Hoping the same for AZ too.

Depends if Depay wants to knuckle down and do some hard work. But I get your point.

Blackhead

Redarse
Were you expecting lower ticket prices? It's not like it's Wenger's fault.

I'm not saying ticket prices aren't too high, it just seems weird to vilify Wenger for what is a clearly true statement.

He's not talking about Arsenal specifically, he's talking about the Premier League, and there'll be very few teams who pass this money on to their fans (and the ones that do will probably get relegated because they won't be competitive). Imagine how much Man City have just agreed to pay Guardiola, and how much they'll pay their ten new £50m signings this summer. You think they're reducing ticket prices as well? Then everyone else needs to keep up.

Wenger isn't saying this is the way it should be, he's saying it's the way it inevitably will be because that's just how football works.

Wenger is wrong. Transfer prices rise for a variety of reasons, including a lack of talent, and that doesn't automatically imply that ticket prices should increase either. If TV money increases by billions and transfer fees by 10s of millions but increasing ticket fees might only add a few more millions. At that point raising ticket fees wouldn't be able to buy one player.

It's worth noting that there can be other reasons for raising ticket prices like squeezing out activist working class fans for more complacent middle class fans who won't boo or protest so often or might be a more priced demographic for advertisers. Hooligans aren't that big a problem in England anymore but some clubs might even look to the example of Juventus who made a smaller stadium with higher ticket prices to get rid of the ultras.

Anyway, the point is what Wenger said is the club's argument not the correct answer. He can definitely ve criticized for that

Wenger is wrong. Transfer prices rise for a variety of reasons, including a lack of talent, and that doesn't automatically imply that ticket prices should increase either. If TV money increases by billions and transfer fees by 10s of millions but increasing ticket fees might only add a few more millions. At that point raising ticket fees wouldn't be able to buy one player.

It's worth noting that there can be other reasons for raising ticket prices like squeezing out activist working class fans for more complacent middle class fans who won't boo or protest so often or might be a more priced demographic for advertisers. Hooligans aren't that big a problem in England anymore but some clubs might even look to the example of Juventus who made a smaller stadium with higher ticket prices to get rid of the ultras.

Anyway, the point is what Wenger said is the club's argument not the correct answer. He can definitely ve criticized for that

I'm not sure how your points, valid as they are, counter the specific quote which was attributed to Wenger.

Nyx

Personally I always give foreign players a whole season to adapt, some players seem adapted on day one while others really need an entire season to get used to a new country and league.

Top-3? That would be awesome but I'm not counting on it, Utrecht always have some very bad games inbetween good runs. Surely hope we will win the cup though, that would also mean group phase of the EL next season.

bjaelke

“Let’s put it like this: everyone always knew that I wanted to stay in Europe and move to the English Premier League club. But, unfortunately, all the proposals that came from them, were somewhat windy and did not contain anything concrete. Now I have received a serious offer from China.

“I wanted to make it to the English Premier League one day. But until now, all my thoughts have been focused on Shakhtar. As I said, everything happens so fast that I don’t even have time to realize it..”
giphy.gif

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm not sure how your points, valid as they are, counter the specific quote which was attributed to Wenger.
I'm not countering the quote so much as calling out people like you who claims he shouldn't bw criticized for it. If the club gets criticized for raising ticket prices and Wenger sticks his neck out for them then it's normal he gets called a dick.

I'm not countering the quote so much as calling out people like you who claims he shouldn't bw criticized for it. If the club gets criticized for raising ticket prices and Wenger sticks his neck out for them then it's normal he gets called a dick.

What was he supposed to say?

What was he supposed to say?

Nothing he isn't corporate management it isn't his field of expertise. It is quite amusing though that the club with the highest ticket prices is the one highlighting the fact that they wont be reduced.

He is correct in saying that the Premier League is expected to pay more though due to the licensing deal. But anyone expecting businesses to lower ticket prices because they now make more money has succumbed to idealistic nonsense.

Nothing he isn't corporate management it isn't his field of expertise. It is quite amusing though that the club with the highest ticket prices is the one highlighting the fact that they wont be reduced.

He is correct in saying that the Premier League is expected to pay more though due to the licensing deal. But anyone expecting businesses to lower ticket prices because they now make more money has succumbed to idealistic nonsense.

He was directly asked a question about it, so what was he supposed to say?

He can say whatever he wants. But if he answers like a corporate lickspittle, he'll be called a dick

So he should have lied? He should have said "tickets will now be free, we will give you also free candy at half time. If the game is bad, we will give each spectator one hundred pounds as an apology."

He was just honest, and he was also right - ticket prices are not going to go down, not at Arsenal or anywhere else. Really not sure what people are demanding here.

Meier

Gfycat just doesn't work very well these days. They took away so much functionality and control for some reason. :( The final few seconds of him laughing and the first 9 or so of that are prime gif candidates.

MrKaepora

Belenenses 0 - 5 Benfica

Finally we seem to have returned to good form.

And Julio César still has a lot to give to football. What a beast.

e02c73ee15130eb0fab048e61f82873c.gif

Big game then. Who's winning City/Leicester guys? Would love Leicester to do them, I have to admit. As an Arsenal fan, wouldn't bother me Leicester having a little lead. It'd be so interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom