• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarnet87

Robert Huth has scored more league goals this season than Depay and Hazard lol

Memphis Depay is truly awful. He's struggled to adapt and now he's just a useless turnover machine. Not sure if he is a moron or if he is overthinking things but he cannot be trusted on the pitch right now. Make the simple to Shneiderlin. Nope, not possible.

raven777

Memphis Depay is truly awful. He's struggled to adapt and now he's just a useless turnover machine. Not sure if he is a moron or if he is overthinking things but he cannot be trusted on the pitch right now. Make the simple to Shneiderlin. Nope, not possible.

I knew he would be shit when he joined United but I couldn't imagine he would be this shit lol.

norinrad

Funny, Ferguson almost got United relegated in his first 3 seasons. The board stood by him and the rest is history. United is not a sacking club and you guys should stop reading daily mail and the sun, though the lazy journalists at the guardian have been recently up there with the rest.

Funny, Ferguson almost got United relegated in his first 3 seasons. The board stood by him and the rest is history. United is not a sacking club and you guys should stop reading daily mail and the sun, though the lazy journalists at the guardian have been recently up there with the rest.

This is complete nonsense. When he took over for Atkinson I think we finished 11th, then 2nd then 10th or 11th. Yeah, we bounced around the bottom a bit but nothing that was close. The worse Ferguson ever finished was 12th in the league. LVG has had an absurd amount of financial backing that Ferguson didn't have back then. 250m quid would've had us winning the league 8 times straight back then.

You're not a sacking club up until the point you are. Even as a United fan I find it ridiculous when people say we're not a sacking club: we were just lucky enough to see through a generation of success.

norinrad

This is complete nonsense. When he took over for Atkinson I think we finished 11th, then 2nd then 10th or 11th. Yeah, we bounced around the bottom a bit but nothing that was close. The worse Ferguson ever finished was 12th in the league. LVG has had an absurd amount of financial backing that Ferguson didn't have back then. 250m quid would've had us winning the league 8 times straight back then.

Those are relegation standards for a club like United. Also they can still win the league or end up second. Still in the FA cup and Europe. No one has an insight into their financial dealings. That 250m is complete nonsense when you compare it to the players they have shipped out and what they have gotten in return. Stop throwing around the 250m nonsense.

They've been playing well lately and with a few tweaks here and there i could see them winning all their games from here.

DBT85

You're not a sacking club up until the point you are. Even as a United fan I find it ridiculous when people say we're not a sacking club: we were just lucky enough to see through a generation of success.

Exactly.

It's all very well saying you're not a sacking club when you've had 20 odd years with one manager who managed to get top 4 every year and win loads of titles and other trophies.

It's quite another when the first guy comes in and only manages 7th, he has to go. If Gaal doesn't manage 4th I Imagine he'll be out the door as part of his contract let alone what might otherwise happen.

While I don't think United would sack a manager who only came second or was a runner up in the CL like other clubs would, top 4 is a must. The club is too big to be anywhere else.

We've also had to sell players or replace dead wood. If you look at the list of players that have left United since Fergy left, the only two I can think I'd have liked to have kept are Chicha and Rafael.

Would have been beneficial I think to hold on to Ferdy, Vidic and Evra a bit longer but two are retired anyway and were never going to play all season in the PL.

We also have no idea how many of the players we've bought have been ones Gaal wanted or Gaal asked for.

norinrad

He was shit in the Eredivisie when PSV went on to win the title. Way too volatile.

I'm beginning to give up on him sadly. Same with Adnan. Both are very talented but there's something just not right in their heads. It could all slip away if they are not careful.

Those are relegation standards for a club like United. Also they can still win the league or end up second. Still in the FA cup and Europe. No one has an insight into their financial dealings. That 250m is complete nonsense when you compare it to the players they have shipped out and what they have gotten in return. Stop throwing around the 250m nonsense.

They've been playing well lately and with a few tweaks here and there i could see them winning all their games from here.

Today, I would agree. In the 80s United had a few FA cup wins and thats about it. The expectations of being consistent title defenders or even in the running for the title wasn't there. Yeah, I understand money (even big money) has to be spent to replace and Fergie left the club in a pretty tough spot with a bunch of players who were not great but we're blowing big money of players who just aren't working out. What it mostly comes down to is that LVG (and the players to some degree) are dropping points because of poor tactics, substitutions and most of all style of play. If De Gea had gone to Madrid in the summer, we'd likely be in 12-15th in the league.

You're the same as any other club

If you don't get top 4, LVG is definitely gone. If you do get top 4, LVG is most probably gone.

I'd say Everton aren't nearly as much of a 'sacking club' as most others are.

Moyes could have gone in 03/04 (finished 17th in the league after 7th the year before) or in 05/06 (11th after 4th), or maybe even in 09/10 (where they had 19 points after 18 games, having finished 5th the season before). If Martinez was at any other club, falling from 5th to 11th would have got him sacked, but Everton stuck by him.

It's a cliché, but stability breeds success. Fairly low player turnover, haven't spent much money at all, but Everton have never dropped out of the Premier League, and have even made it to Europe a few times.

I'd say Everton aren't nearly as much of a 'sacking club' as most others are.

Moyes could have gone in 03/04 (finished 17th in the league after 7th the year before) or in 05/06 (11th after 4th), or maybe even in 09/10 (where they had 19 points after 18 games, having finished 5th the season before). If Martinez was at any other club, falling from 5th to 11th would have got him sacked, but Everton stuck by him.

It's a cliché, but stability breeds success. Fairly low player turnover, haven't spent much money at all, but Everton have never dropped out of the Premier League, and have even made it to Europe a few times.
Absolutely love this post. I agree wholeheartedly and this is why Everton are one of the biggest clubs in England.

DBT85

It does to a point, but then Wenger has been at Arsenal for how long? In a year of United and Chelsea still possibly both being outside the top 4, Arsenal could still easily finish 4th. This was the year for Arsenal to go for the title and their best oppertunity to do do in probably a decade.

City, United, Chelsea cannot afford to tolerate anything other than top 4, and City and Chelsea have sacked managers for better.

I wonder if Gaal had been playing great football but we finished 5th he might be allowed to stay and build on it. But we haven't.

I think LVG has to go because of his style of play, but what most people don't see with Wenger is that he is trying to build longterm success and a fruitful future. Unfortunately a lot of Arsenal fans are shortsighted and don't see past short term success and can't appreciate what Wenger is doing.

I think LVG has to go because of his style of play, but what most people don't see with Wenger is that he is trying to build longterm success and a fruitful future. Unfortunately a lot of Arsenal fans are shortsighted and don't see past short term success and can't appreciate what Wenger is doing.

Arsenal would be a great club if all their young future invested players weren't made of glass.

norinrad

Today, I would agree. In the 80s United had a few FA cup wins and thats about it. The expectations of being consistent title defenders or even in the running for the title wasn't there. Yeah, I understand money (even big money) has to be spent to replace and Fergie left the club in a pretty tough spot with a bunch of players who were not great but we're blowing big money of players who just aren't working out. What it mostly comes down to is that LVG (and the players to some degree) are dropping points because of poor tactics, substitutions and most of all style of play. If De Gea had gone to Madrid in the summer, we'd likely be in 12-15th in the league.

Totally agree. Though the type of football LvG likes to play with all players continuously attacking from the back is being stifled by Wayne. He's been clearing out the old guys and you can see how the young players are thriving. Someone needs to replace Carrick soon, not because he's bad, but because of age. With that said, one can clearly see LvG has taken the heat off the players for months now. Its about time they show some commitment to the fans and club. Rogers would have thrown them all under the bus.

Moyes destroyed United by giving Wayne that 5 year 300k a week contract. No where in the world would someone be paid 300k a week and have him relax on the bench. Not even in the rich oil states or ?

Moyes destroyed United by giving Wayne that 5 year 300k a week contract. No where in the world would someone be paid 300k a week and have him relax on the bench. Not even in the rich oil states or ?

He was already making way too much before that. And that was even when he scored 34 goals each season in nonconsecutive seasons.

DBT85

He has been doing that and in fairness under a complete lack of investment until recently.

But its been a long time and this season is probably the best chance they'll get. Chelsea will spend a ton in the summer, City will do the same, United will do the same and probably with Mou as the manager.

Woops sorry for not replying to some, terrible tiring week... But for the next time it's always on Fox Sports for us Dutchies :) Fox has dutch,english and Ziggo has Spanish

Saw some good football this weekend but also some really shitty football... Real was awfull, seeing memphis struggling just breaks my heart. Bayern lost some magic it seems... Barca not good.

Did enjoy Arsenal and PSV though. Watching Ozil in form is just really fun

Also, the commentator said during Real that Ronaldo was 31 years old... Then it hit me that we are a few years away before we see a football world without Messi, Ibra, Ronaldo :(

Also, the commentator said during Real that Ronaldo was 31 years old... Then it hit me that we are a few years away before we see a football world without Messi, Ibra, Ronaldo :(

It's okay, their kids will take over. Their birthdays are even the exact same number of days apart as Messi and Ronaldo. It's meant to be. Zlatan is just a glitch in the matrix though.

norinrad

Haha welcome to my world. I still miss Gullit, van Basten, Brolin, Maradona, Gascoigne, and even Bruce Grobbelaar.

Being a kid from the 80s and the 90s, these guys were my heroes.

Don't worry you will get used to it. Such is the way of the world, nothing lasts forever :(. I do feel sorry for those players you mentioned as none of them will ever win a world cup or a European Cup. Messi will unfortunately always stay in Maradona's shadow.

Btw i opted for only Foxsports International because i always thought what the heck, i could watch the summary of our mickey mouse league on Sunday evenings.

Anth1888

Dat flat design for the new Premier League logo.

PS. Bye Barclays

premier-league-logo-new-football_3413138.jpg

CaxL14hWEAABnVM.png

Anth1888

Only the champions should get the crown.

Who's sponsoring the league now then?

Was announced back in June that they would be dropping sponsorship.

The Premier League will ditch its title sponsor after next season, giving it a “clean brand” that the clubs believe will play better internationally as they compete with America’s NFL and NBA for the broadcast millions of emergent markets.

The decision was made at the end of season Premier League shareholders’ meeting, bringing the curtain down a 15 year association with Barclays whose current deal has one more season to run. The brutal truth is that with their £5.136bn domestic broadcasting deal, the league could afford to give up the £40m they would earn annually from a title sponsor.

Sky claims that a Chinese club is offering Payet £135,000-a-week after tax. West Ham are preparing an improved contract offer but nothing like that. Would be sad to see him go, Payet transforms their side.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Is Wales the real reason they haven't called it the EPL officially? Welsh teams choose to play in the English leagues, I don't see why that would give them grounds to complain about the name.

Not that I care about it being called English but 'PL' is terrible.

Is Wales the real reason they haven't called it the EPL officially? Welsh teams choose to play in the English leagues, I don't see why that would give them grounds to complain about the name.

Not that I care about it being called English but 'PL' is terrible.

Well it is the English league and when Swansea are in Europe they count as an English team, if any of the Welsh teams have a problem with it then they can get the fuck out and go and play in the Welsh league.

I doubt they do, though, EPL does sound better although the Premier League and FA are hardly known for their good decision making

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom