• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

FT 1-0.

Can't complain. We had more of the ball but no one to stick it in the net. Leicester are clinical as hell.

Just win the league please Leicester.

Carbonox

I'm really interested to see how Leicester handles the transfer window this Summer with their Champions League status and monies. Like way more than how any other team will.

Orbis

West Ham's business will be very intriguing as well if they finish in the top 4
West Ham are in fantasy land if they finish top 4, they start the new season in a new stadium too.

Also consider that the new TV deal money comes in based on 2016-17 finishes so perhaps some teams will overspend in the summer on the basis of getting better prize money (which will ultimately pay for the extra spent).

MrKaepora

RIP Cesare Maldini

Just read about his death now

RIP Cesare, say hello to Coluna for me

1800234_743866418976918_25420109_n.jpg

West Ham are in fantasy land if they finish top 4, they start the new season in a new stadium too.

Also consider that the new TV deal money comes in based on 2016-17 finishes so perhaps some teams will overspend in the summer on the basis of getting better prize money (which will ultimately pay for the extra spent).

Sounds like a recipe for a Leeds-style meltdown

Hasney

Sounds like a recipe for a Leeds-style meltdown

_1458484_risdale300.jpg

They don't have them, so I'd be confident they'll spend what they can since they have decent money behind them if they do finish out fo the top 4 the following season. Going to be hard to bring in stars and keep that spirit though.

As a Leeds fan, this is about as interested I have been in the title race since those days though...

_1458484_risdale300.jpg

They don't have them, so I'd be confident they'll spend what they can since they have decent money behind them if they do finish out fo the top 4 the following season. Going to be hard to bring in stars and keep that spirit though.

As a Leeds fan, this is about as interested I have been in the title race since those days though...

What was their plan for getting the debt down?

Unless you're Madrid, you can't just keep piling it on without it ever being called in.

Orbis

I had the Man Utd game down as one of Leicester's potential troubles, but after yet another piss poor first half I can strike that off the list. Zero on target for both sides at Old Trafford

Orbis

Good to see Leicester won again today! And only 6 matches left? Here's hoping, but they still have a few tough matches.
I keep shoving the results into a predictor and it comes out really close each time. Goal difference could hurt them. But on the flip side, assuming they do W3 D2 L1, they can still win assuming Spurs just draw a single game and win the rest (thanks to them fucking up last night). And with that result set they'd be a point ahead of Arsenal even if Arsenal win every game (lol). Odds are in their favour but 6 games is a lot.

Blackhead

Redarse
What was their plan for getting the debt down?

Unless you're Madrid, you can't just keep piling it on without it ever being called in.

Heh it wouldn't be the first time Leeds management tried to copy Madrid:
Upon his appointment as player-manager of Leeds United Football Club in 1961, Don Revie began to implement radical changes. The most significant of these was his insistence that the club play their home games in an all-white kit imitating that of the all-conquering Real Madrid side of the time.

I don't think they had a plan, they were just making it up as they went along
It’s not so long ago that Leeds United were a force at the very highest levels, reaching the Champions League semi-finals in 2001, before being eliminated by Valencia. This was in the middle of a purple patch when they finished in the top five of the Premier League every season between 1998 and 2002. Leeds were actually the last club to win the old First Division before the creation of the Premier League in 1992...

In short, Leeds United were a genuine big club for many years, though they spectacularly imploded after chairman Peter Ridsdale’s catastrophic attempt to “live the dream” resulted in a financial nightmare. Before the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City brought in their billionaire benefactors, Leeds reported the largest ever loss by an English football club of £49.5 million in 2003 (after a £34 million loss the previous year).

Ridsdale’s decision to “go for it” could be described as courageous, though reckless and irresponsible would seem more appropriate. When he jumped ship in 2003, Leeds were around £100 million in debt, after a grand acquisition strategy using innovative finance models, i.e. other people’s money, to fund player purchases. These included high interest sale-and-leaseback arrangements, which allowed Leeds to spread the cost of buying a player over the length of his contract, and a £60 million loan, a record for English football at the time, which was essentially secured on supporters’ loyalty, i.e. future gate receipts...

Surprise, Messi is a thieving fuck (along with many other footballers):

Panama Papers: How soccer has become enmeshed in offshore world

The Mossack Fonseca documents include the names of nearly 20 high-profile soccer players, past and present, representing some of the globe’s best-known professional football clubs, including Barcelona, Manchester United and Real Madrid.
Among the names: Lionel Messi.

The Barcelona star, a five-time world player of the year, is already under indictment in Spain on charges that he and his father, Jorge Horacio Messi, used offshore companies in Belize and Uruguay to stiff the government out of millions of dollars in taxes.
The leaked documents show that Messi and his father owned yet another offshore company in Panama: Mega Star Enterprises.

The first reference to the company in Mossack Fonseca’s files came on June 13, 2013 - one day after Spanish prosecutors first filed tax fraud charges against Messi and his father. An email indicated that responsibility for handling the company’s paperwork was being transferred to Mossack Fonseca from another offshore corporate agent.
The first reference in the files to the Messis owning Mega Star came less than two weeks later, on June 23rd, 2013.

Through his father, Messi declined to comment for this story.

Benzema has been amazing this season. Great to see him score so many goals even with all the legal bs that's been going on.

After watching the highlights again I'm at a loss of words for the Bale goal. I hope this ref gets investigated, how the fuck can you call that a foul. Smh

Benzema is great, he fits perfectly with Ronaldo and works very hard for the team. He is the perfect fit for this Real Madrid.
He has everything a striker needs imo.

Real Madrid only needs a good right winger and they are good for next year, Bale just doesn't fit in a team that's always attacking and dominating in 90% of the matches.
And the Bale goal was and is very weird indeed, but referees make mistakes all the time, so I'm glad that the new Fifa boss is experimenting with video referees and such. Things like this could be easily solved with a video referee.

Also glad to see so many Real fans on this forum ;)

Come on Bla...

Your Bayern would destroy us in either the semis or the final.

Yours is the only team I actually fear more than Atletico.

Jup, this Real Madrid still has many flaws, a good match against Barça isn't going to solve all the problems.

We have a shot at the CL imo, playing against teams like Bayern that dominate is perfect for Ronaldo and especially Bale. But I don't think we would win from Bayern (or Barça) over 2 matches, Real Madrid hasn't exactly been consistent in their performances this year.

velociraptor

Leicester have pretty much won the title haven't they. They have some tough fixtures but they look unbeatable. Unless they fuck it up and lose 2 and draw 2 and Spurs/Arsenal win their remaining fixtures.

Firemind

Leicester have pretty much won the title haven't they. They have some tough fixtures but they look unbeatable. Unless they fuck it up and lose 2 and draw 2 and Spurs/Arsenal win their remaining fixtures.
This week is going to be a cracker with West Ham - Arsenal and Spurs - ManU.

Beefy

So Messi is indeed the biggest cunt in sports then. I cant decide between him and Armstrong. Really damages his standing.

You really think he is the only one? It's best to think of it as all footballers are cunts until they prove otherwise. It's why I seperate their on and off field persona.

You really think he is the only one? It's best to think of it as all footballers are cunts until they prove otherwise. It's why I seperate their on and off field persona.

Jup, I'm not a fan of Messi (on or off the pitch), but he is certainly not the only footballer that does this. The rumors are that Real Madrid players are involved (and probably players from every world class team).
Hopefully someone will get a (short) jail sentence, I hate this thievery from persons that have way too much money.

Interesting choice, it will be interesting to see what how much money he can invest in new players.

Hopefully he's not a fan of Hazard, that would make a transfer to Real possible and make funds available for new players.

Hazard will be the most overpriced player on the market this summer.

Hazard will be the most overpriced player on the market this summer.

Hazard is a world class player imo. He has a few disadvantages like being a littlebit lazy, not scoring enough etc, but he would fit perfectly with Real Madrid.

Sell Bale to Man Utd and buy Hazard and everyone wins. :D
Zidane always admired Hazard, so I would guess that Real Madrid would at least try if he's available.

Hazard is a world class player imo. He has a few disadvantages like being a littlebit lazy, not scoring enough etc, but he would fit perfectly with Real Madrid.

Zidane always admired Hazard, so I would guess that Real Madrid would at least try if he's available.

Bale is 5 times the player Hazard is. They're not even in the same stratosphere right now, Hazard has done absolutely nothing this season.

Nonsense.

Selling Bale for Hazard? I mean, what is wrong with you? Bale's been amazing this season (except for the injuries), why sell him after he finally has form in his position and play only to insert a new player du jour? Yes I think hazard is good, but nowhere near the level of Bale.

You can't simply expect a player to change leagues and countries and perform amicably. Bale is one of our MVPs, it would be Perez-esque foolishness to sell him.

So now it's:
Liverpool: Klopp
City: Pep
Chelsea: Conte

What if at the end of the season:
Utd.: Mou
Arsenal: Simeone
lol

That'd be pretty damn cool though.

So now it's:
Liverpool: Klopp
City: Pep
Chelsea: Conte

What if at the end of the season:
Utd.: Mou
Arsenal: Simeone
lol

That'd be pretty damn cool though.
Man the EPL is going to be insane next year isn't it? Surely the addition of the new managers is going to bring help the EPL teams in EU games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom