• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueBlue

"Joke of a club" lol

Though to be fair, this last week has been pretty horrific. I'd like one season to go by without any controversy, but I suppose that's wishful thinking.

Blablurn

You gotta love the Südkurve

137af0f5-42b6-11e5-a4f7-f80f41fc63ce

A poster towards Hamburg:

"What are you doing here?

Abolish relegation."

Jarnet87

So Otamendi seems to be joining City...what the fuck is United doing? Are they seriously not going to sign a centre back?

van Gaal wants a ball playing left footed centerback, or at least that's the story. None of the CB's we've been linked with fit that role. We wanted Ramos (who knows how much of this was just Ramos trying to get a deal, or us trying to get something for De Gea and playing hardball), Stones, and Otamendi but none of them fit that left footed description. Otamendi at least plays on the left of the two CBs but there has been a lot of talk saying we were never in for him, it's just another fabricated transfer rumor out of nowhere like Gaitan that kept growing.

Maybe there is another CB that van Gaal wants which we haven't heard of, still a couple weeks left in the window. I think we'll regret not signing another CB because Smalling will get hurt at some point, and then it will be a mess like the past 4-5 season of shuffling CBs in and out and not getting a consistent performance.

I'd even take a 15th place for Köln as long as Gladbach is going down :D
Even as a Cologne fan, you must admit that Gladbach is sexy. It would be a huge loss for the BL is they go down.
HSV however should get relegated. Will teach them humility and the rest.

raven777

van Gaal wants a ball playing left footed centerback, or at least that's the story. None of the CB's we've been linked with fit that role. We wanted Ramos (who knows how much of this was just Ramos trying to get a deal, or us trying to get something for De Gea and playing hardball), Stones, and Otamendi but none of them fit that left footed description. Otamendi at least plays on the left of the two CBs but there has been a lot of talk saying we were never in for him, it's just another fabricated transfer rumor out of nowhere like Gaitan that kept growing.

Maybe there is another CB that van Gaal wants which we haven't heard of, still a couple weeks left in the window. I think we'll regret not signing another CB because Smalling will get hurt at some point, and then it will be a mess like the past 4-5 season of shuffling CBs in and out and not getting a consistent performance.

His obsession with left footed centeback for left side of defense is really stupid imo. Playing Blind as centreback is really dumb move and so far we got away with it because we played bad sides (no disrespect to tottenham, meaning they were in bad form not a bad team). But playing him there for big games would be suicide, even as a back for Rojo. Imo United needed to sign Otamendi, and maybe Stones if they miss out on Otamendi.

Even as a Cologne fan, you must admit that Gladbach is sexy. It would be a huge loss for the BL is they go down.
HSV however should get relegated. Will teach them humility and the rest.

The team is great, there's no denying. They did a really great job since their last promotion. I just dislike the club. Same team, different name and I might even support them LOL

The team is great, there's no denying. They did a really great job since their last promotion. I just dislike the club. Same team, different name and I might even support them LOL
Yeah, I get it.

In other news, I wonder if/when Weigl and Kimmich will be called in the National Team. I hope they are suitable replacements for Khedira/Kroos/Özil/Götze. I hope at least their career doesn't get killed off.
Lennart Thy and Florian Trinks have failed. The wound is open and it still hurts.

Serie A Gaf, anything to share on Godfred Donsah? We've been linked with him today, would be a good signing for Vitesse/Boro do you think?

Sloosha

Serie A Gaf, anything to share on Godfred Donsah? We've been linked with him today, would be a good signing for Vitesse/Boro do you think?

The "New Essien" apparently. I've only seen his youtube highlights (the unimpeachable indicator of a players skill ;)) but he certainly seems talented. Would definitely like Serie A gaf's opinion on him as well.

Jarnet87

Not only did they not get Ramos (I wonder if he ever planned to leave) but next year Real get De Gea for free.

Utd have been had.

it's not like United had a lot of choices here lol. either we let De Gea go for free or sell for a fee we werent happy about. can't blame woody for trying to play hardball, was always a losing battle. I still think De Gea will go at the end of the window.

Man, having a quick glance through Bournemouth's squad, gave me some proper FM nostalgia vibes. Saw Lee Tomlin plays for em now. Dude was an absolute legend for me when I did a career save Rushden & Diamonds on an FM like almost decade ago.

Moobabe

Goal ruled out for Bournemouth incorrectly, then a goal given for Liverpool incorrectly.

Bournemouth quickly discovering that the main difference between the leagues is you don't get anything at the home of the big boys.

Bit of a lucky first half for us. Very harsh disallowed goal for Bournemouth and Coutinho was offside for Benteke's goal. Hope we turn it up a bit in the second half.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Bournemouth played well tonight.

If Liverpool play like that vs us, I fancy our chances. Benteke against our centre backs is a worry though.

Mignolet, fullbacks, Henderson and Benteke played well imo

Coutinho was brilliant for 30 mins, but barely saw the ball in the second half. Hate the way we give up trying to dominate games the moment we come under a spell of pressure

So many options, so little trustworthy quality on the wings. Hopefully Firmino can give us what we need on one of them at least, if that's where we deploy him.

Think we'll lose heavily next Monday

Should've been 0-0

Coutinho was brilliant for 30 mins, but barely saw the ball in the second half. Hate the way we give up trying to dominate games the moment we come under a spell of pressure

So many options, so little trustworthy quality on the wings. Hopefully Firmino can give us what we need on one of them at least, if that's where we deploy him.

Should've been 0-0
Lallana was invisible. Don't think he should start next Monday. Lovren looked shaky. We were pretty fortunate overall.

severin

Should've been 0-0

Coutinho faded because he was shunted out to the right wing, in place of Lallana playing a deeper role in midfield, which made absolutely minus sense. First 30 minutes, everything was flowing through Coutinho whereas Lallana didn't have a sniff. Lallana is BR's pet project. He will cater to suit Lallana to the detriment of the team. A horrible tactical decision and one that would have bitten him in the arse against a better team.

At the minute, I don't see where Firmino is going to play in this side. It's clear he won't be dropped for Lallana, so Ibe is the likely sacrifice, which will see us give up all of our width and pace in the final third.

Think that overall we deserved the win. Bournemouth were fairly toothless in attack, and we defended well. Luck was on our side also, and I'm okay with that. Still so much work to be done though.

How good is Joe Gomez?

TeddyBoy

Just got back from the game.

Was an interesting one, the atmosphere before and during the game was great until about 70 minutes when Bournemouth really started to press us.

Singing YNWA was magical, I wish I could do it more often.

Benteke, Clyne, Henderson and Coutinho played well.

Ibe and Lallana need to do more on the wings, they aren't doing enough to take pressure off the centre for Coutinho so we find it difficult to get chances.

But still, 6 points from 6.

Play

Mig
Clyne-Skrtel-Lovren-Gomez
Milner-Can-Henderson
Coutinho-Benteke-Firmino

and go for a draw.

Was Henderson injured when he came off?

Papers reporting we are going to go on a spending spree. Roman has awoken from his slumber and decided to splash the case.

Ahahaha

Give me a break. We want Stones, at best we might sign someone else if we decide to sell a couple of people, which given we have about 2 weeks to do business I can't see happening, not for proper first team players anyway.

We were linked with Donsah, but he's 19... if we're going to stick in a kid that age they might as well just play RLC (which they won't). Seen rumours of Isco, Griezmann, Lacazette, trying to hijack United's bid for Pedro and someone mentioned Higuain too... lol.

We need to shift Ramires, Mikel, Cuadrado and Moses. Realistically... it sounds like Cuadrado might go out on loan with a redemption option.

Blablurn

It's good to see that Liverpool is not fucking up those small matches yet. Will be interesting to see how they cope with bigger teams.

Pool played against a £12 million team who would have won if not for some very dodgy refereeing around disallowed and offside goals. Been very unconvincing displays so far from nearly all the big teams.

RagingPhoenix

Neo Member
Why wasn't Sakho in the squad yesterday? He's got another wife pregnant or something? How come Toure is ahead of him now?

It really is bewildering, the way Brendan is treating Sakho & Markovic.

In other news, I wonder if/when Weigl and Kimmich will be called in the National Team. I hope they are suitable replacements for Khedira/Kroos/Özil/Götze. I hope at least their career doesn't get killed off.
Lennart Thy and Florian Trinks have failed. The wound is open and it still hurts.
What m8

Weigl has played just one good Bundesliga match, Kimmich not even that lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom