• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

10th time in a row RB Salzburg has failed to qualify for the Champions League, what an amazing achievement.

get fucked Red Bull

lol apparently La Liga are trying to refuse the offer

So salty

They're refusing to be "bullied".

Fucking lol on that one. Firstly, it's a legally binding contract. Secondly, their two biggest teams constantly "bully" other clubs around the world into selling them their best players.

Go fuck yourselves, you Spanish fucks!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's a contract between two parties. You can't force the player to stay there if he can legally conclude the contract. La Liga is the bully in this one.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
lol they've actually rejected it the salty twats

This might've worked on the 31st but won't work now

GHG

La Liga saying there is no way PSG can afford it within FFP.

That's not for you to decide you idiots. Let the deal happen then PSG will have to deal with the consequences from UEFA.

Did you really read what I wrote? you ask me to calm down, only to proceed to write utter nonsense.

I said very clearly that I think Wenger fucked him because in order to make him sign for Arsenal, he tricked him, assuring him Arsenal was going to assemble a top team, which never happened.

Also, MEGA LOL at you believing Alexis became a world class player under Wenger. He achieved that during his time in Barcelona. Also LOL at the way you worded that part, almost like implying Chile won those two Copa América thanks to Wenger.

I have to say that part of your post really made me laugh, so... thanks :D

Just stop. There's a reason he ran away from Barca and chose to come to us. He was a very talented player but largely inconsistent when he first came to us, never mind the fact that he wasn't always an automatic starter for Barca. He plays every game for Arsenal, has the freedom of the pitch and has grown in stature, responsibility and output over the time he's been with us.

I'm not Wengers biggest fan but it's uncalled for to say Wenger has been to the detriment of his career when the opposite is true. If you think he would have improved to the level that he's at today by warming the bench at Barca or a similar club over the last 3 years then I have news for you. Oh and Sanchez pretty much dragged Chile to those two Copa America titles, so while you won want to admit it, the improvement in areas I outlined above since he's been with us played a big part in that. If nothing else, he's had lots of practice in single handedly dragging scrub players to levels they have no right to compete at.

TimmmV

La Liga always seem to be overly partisan with their clubs vs other leagues

IIRC they are the most willing to move games around in order to give Spanish teams more rest for CL games too - and for all the PLs faults, I've actually agreed with them on refusing to accommodate the CL teams just so the league does better in Europe

There was also that season (in the late 90s I think?) when Madrid won the CL and finished outside the CL qualifying spaces, so they just gave Madrid the CL space of the lowest cl qualifying team.

I get that they want their league to be the best but that all takes the piss a bit

Jarnet87

recording of the United game went missing so just got to watch the highlights.

Daley Blind looked like a disaster based on highlights lol. Saw some people on the caf say Matic had a solid first half outing.

GHG

Nice to see a federation stick up for the little guys.

La Liga know that without Barca and Real their league has nothing.

And now that the "lol nobody would be foolish enough to pay this" release clauses actually are being paid they are shitting themselves that some other oil/Russian money club will just come along and buy even more star players from Real/Barca.

The irony is palpable.

casiopao

I don't claim to know much about the league, AC seem to making some decent signings. As far as the Bundesliga goes, I get the impression that the standard of 2nd, 3rd and 4th there is a lot higher than in Italy.

Decent signings is great but u cant hope them to clop that easily in one season.

Roma and Napoli had higher chance to take us. Roma with new coach and no more Totti baggage can do wonders.

Napoli is also for me the biggest contender considering how they not only retained all their biggest stars, this time they also added depth into their squad.

Both of those team will do much better vs a newly scrambled AC Milan. And this is not counting Inter with Spaletti which i highly rated too during his time with Roma. This season Serie A is going to be lit.

Lashley

As someone who knows barely anything about Barca, how fucked are they now? Do they need a desperate signing?
They'll be fine. Weakened but not fucked.

They'll likely respond that money on a decent player like Hazard or Coutinho, perhaps Dembele

Beefy

As someone who knows barely anything about Barca, how fucked are they now? Do they need a desperate signing?

They are after Mbappe and Dembele and have had talks with Mbappe. So not really that fucked.

The only thing that is fucked is the transfer system. Soon shit players will cost £15m +

jm89

They are after Mbappe and Dembele and have had talks with Mbappe. So not really that fucked.

The only thing that is fucked is the transfer system. Soon shit players will cost £15m +

It's already happened e.g. john stones(maybe not shit but meh)

They need good, young blood more than anything and that makes Neymar's exit hurt even more. They'll be fine right now but they have an aging core and don't really have a new generation of players to replace them. Mbappe and Dembele would be a great start though, if they can land them.

User: MisterRoboto
League: Serie A

1. Napoli
2. Juventus
3. Milan
4. Inter
---
5. Roma
6. Atalanta
7. Lazio
---
18. Crotone
19. Spal
20. Benevento

The way this window has been? Would be silly to to
rule it out

1. Coutinho nor Hazard are agitating for a move.
  2. Klopp isn't one to hold a player who doesn't want to play for him and Coutinho has told him he doesn't want to go. Same with Conte and Hazard.
  3. Klopp doesn't like to be made a liar and I don't think management are looking to piss him off. He isn't Arsene.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The way this window has been? Would be silly to rule it out

As a LiverpooI fan, take what I say with a grain of salt: Can't speak for Hazard, but Coutinho is looking more unlikely by the day. He seems perfectly content and willing to wait till next year and Barca now have the cash to spunk on Dembele or Mbappe. Both of whom should be easier to sign than Coutinho.

If they sold him and missed out on the other two targets there would be riots.

I mean like real shit. Like Fletcher etc.

Everton spent 25m on Bolasie last year and Spurs spent 30m on Sissoko, we are long past the 15m barrier for shit players

Even without Neymar their attacking potential is still one of the best. Their biggest problem is an ageing Iniesta and Busquets, especially after Xavi moved on last year. They relied on those three for such a long time and not easy to replace. Their mid is still strong but we regularly saw one of MSN dropping very deep to provide a playmaking outlet and a lot of long balls with far less playing through the centre, they don't dominate the centre like they use to.

Lashley

Lads, I never said it would happen. I said it could.

Barca has been after countiho for ages and now they have £200m extra pocket money to waste

Lads, I never said it would happen. I said it could.

Barca has been after countiho for ages and now they have £200m extra pocket money to waste

As Leipzig has shown, it doesn't matter how much money you have. If Liverpool aren't selling it doesn't matter. If Liverpool were willing to sell, it would cost Barca about £120 million upwards.

Lashley

As Leipzig has shown, it doesn't matter how much money you have. If Liverpool aren't selling it doesn't matter. If Liverpool were willing to sell, it would cost Barca about £120 million upwards.
Which they could now spend. Would they? Who knows

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Which they could now spend. Would they? Who knows

On who? Klopp is clearly only interested in players that can improve the squad. Liverpool have no other targets, that's our biggest problem right now. Losing Coutinho would make things even harder as he is our only world class player.

Lashley

On who? Klopp is clearly only interested in players that can improve the squad. Liverpool have no other targets, that's our biggest problem right now. Losing Coutinho would make things even harder as he is our only world class player.
Im on about Barca

I seriously doubt Liverpool would turn down 100m+ for him

sora87

Watching highlights from the game last night, fuck me Klavan is a donkey lol.
We really need to sign another center back.

Markitron

Im on about Barca

I seriously doubt Liverpool would turn down 100m+ for him

Ah Right.

I think they might, because they have no one else to spend it on. They could keep Phil for another year with a promise of a transfer at the end (like Suarez) and find a replacement in the meantime. The team would be utterly fucked without him.

Watching highlights from the game last night, fuck me Klavan is a donkey lol.
We really need to sign another center back.

Or - and here's a crazy suggestion - we give a game to the very good CB that we already have at the club. Seriously, has Sakho drowned Klopp's cat or something?

Beefy

Has Van Dijk joined Liverpool:

491331910cab34487bfb18e4bf7880ea.jpg

The answer:

Lmao at La Liga trying to stop the Neymar deal.
I'm happy for Barca to get bullied into losing a player, they've raided us for years at a pittance.

The FFP justification is a joke. There's no such thing as FFP for the mega elite clubs.

Thierry Henry signed for us 18 years ago today

Legend

Ze GOAT

D8Nb28.gif

Top Bottom