• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

Why not?

He's 23/24. He has been in the league for years. He has been a very consistent goalscorer.

If VVD goes for 60m, Lukaku can easily go for 100m

Lukaku is a good, even a great striker. But there's a stat going around that Everton would still finish 7th if you removed Lukaku's goals, think he scores a lot of goals when you guys are leading 1-0, 2-0 etc. Still not entirely convinced he's a top top striker yet! But yeah agree with you that if VVD goes for 60m, Lukaku will go for higher, mostly because attacking players are more pricey too.

cromofo

Lukaku is a good, even a great striker. But there's a stat going around that Everton would still finish 7th if you removed Lukaku's goals, think he scores a lot of goals when you guys are leading 1-0, 2-0 etc.

Shhh we don't want them to know that ;P

I honestly can't wait him for to go because it seems like his departure is what's halting all other Everton transfer wishes and talks.

Maybe we finally start signing some people.

DBT85

It just annoys me when people complain about tapping up in football in general really - literally every club is doing it, and will continue to do it. Hence why it shouldn't lead to any extremely harsh punishments or anything beyond a fine really.

Or actually do something about it.

I suppose there are degrees though, calling an agent and floating an idea is different to the manager dining with the player before the club have even been told.

Liverpool getting some kind of punishment when everyone else is doing it is bad, but then, if they left that many breadcrumbs...

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Who has good football book recommendations to get us through the next few months? I just bought Addicted by Tony Adams.

cromofo

Who has good football book recommendations to get us through the next few months? I just bought Addicted by Tony Adams.

The Football Business: Fair Game In the '90s? by David Conn was a good read.

It's about the rise of the premier league money machine clubs in the 90s and the impact of football becoming a businessman's business.

Beefy

Southampton are ready to go to war with Liverpool as they believe Virgil van Dijk has been “tapped up” about a record breaking move to Anfield.

And Mirrorsport can reveal the extent of the contact Anfield boss Jurgen Klopp has enjoyed with his No 1 defensive target.

The Dutch international was flown to Blackpool for a meeting with Klopp, as Liverpool tried to persuade him his future should be at the club.

And after their unauthorised meeting Klopp then messaged him regularly

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-klopp-van-dijk-transfer-10573311

Yeah, it looks pretty bad for Liverpool

cromofo

423.gif

PowerTaxi

Banned

Beefy

Why weren't the other clubs reported then?

Edit: Not saying Liverpool should be let off or anything. It just seems weird that they were singled out if they all did it.

"belief" he met over clubs.While Liverpool have leaked everything apart from what he and Klopp ate.

Jarnet87

RIP Monaco

SkyKaveh
A Bola: Monaco manager Leonardo Jardim agrees £30m deal to move to Beijing Guoan http://www.abola.pt/nnh/ver.aspx?id=676263 ...

Team is getting completely dismantled, can't blame him for going to get that big payday. Mbappe surely has to be gone now if not even the manager is staying.

Di Marzio and a few other Italian sources tweeted - United apparently bid 52 million pounds for Morata, Madrid want 78 million. Belloti the alternative for 87 million. Lacazette is the least likely fit for Mou but probably the most fit for that classic United striker of the three. We need goals so ultimately Mou will have Ed pay whatever price is necessary for one of Morata or Belloti by August 31st.

Guileless

The Football Business: Fair Game In the '90s? by David Conn was a good read.

It's about the rise of the premier league money machine clubs in the 90s and the impact of football becoming a businessman's business.

Thanks, snagged a cheap used copy. Also bought another books by the author: Richer Than God (about the Sheik Mansour takeover at Manchester City)

casiopao

Damn. That final still hurt me that i am not strong enough to check what player Juventus is chasing hiks. I thought i am used to this feeling. But welp.

Icolin

Banned
Here's an interesting mini doc on 16 year old Vancouver Whitecaps (MLS) and Canadian international (as of today): Becoming Canadian: The Alphonso Davies Story

I mean, I shill a lot of Canadian related soccer stuff (lol), but this is a story any football fan can appreciate, so I thought I'd share it here. The kid is something special.

Tubie

We are really gonna bid 130 million euros for an 18 year old aren't we?

Either Florentino is a mad genius or he's lost his fucking mind.

Sciel

Its a bit ridiculous really. I do think Monaco will bite at that price though.
I would be bemused even if my own club (Man Utd) sign him for that price. Sure, he's had ONE good season, but he could turn to utter shite the next.

Tubie

I would be bemused even if my own club (Man Utd) sign him for that price. Sure, he's had ONE good season, but he could turn to utter shite the next.

The thing is, I can see him replacing Benzema easily lol, and having a lot of success in that position.

The price is just nuts.

You can buy a second division club in almost every European country with 130m.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
130 million is an insane price. Especially since Real can't really guarantee him that he will play enough to deserve that price.

TimmmV

Or actually do something about it.

I suppose there are degrees though, calling an agent and floating an idea is different to the manager dining with the player before the club have even been told.

Liverpool getting some kind of punishment when everyone else is doing it is bad, but then, if they left that many breadcrumbs...

Really though - is this that different to the way that Madrid went after Bale/Ronaldo, or United went after Pogba or Griezmann?

I mean, United basically turned their tapping up of Pogba into a summer long marketing campaign - everyone knew what was going on there too

Pachimari

I mean 130 million is an insane amount of money, but haven't we always been ones to break the transfer record. It's happened again and again, and we've never really hurt from it. I could see Mbappe coming to be Benzema's substitution for the season, and Morata being shipped out to an English club. I hope this doesn't happen, but it's inevitable that Morata will have to jump ship.

Tubie

I mean 130 million is an insane amount of money, but haven't we always been ones to break the transfer record. It's happened again and again, and we've never really hurt from it. I could see Mbappe coming to be Benzema's substitution for the season, and Morata being shipped out to an English club. I hope this doesn't happen, but it's inevitable that Morata will have to jump ship.

Between Morata and James (both probably to Man U) Madrid is getting nearly 100m back.

Madrid is rolling in money so why the fuck not hedge bets and sign the promises everyone wanted.

RocknRola

A little bit from column A and a little bit from column B :p

I mean, why wouldn't they? 130M for Mbappe pays for like, 10 seasons (or more) for Monaco. Then there is also the other players that already went/are going away for many Millions as well. They're making bank, for sure.

Whether or not they'll have a good team after all the dust settles is a different issue altogether, but financially they'll be in the best position they've ever been.

I mean, why wouldn't they? 130M for Mbappe pays for like, 10 seasons (or more) for Monaco. Then there is also the other players that already went/are going away for many Millions as well. They're making bank, for sure.

Whether or not they'll have a good team after all the dust settles is a different issue altogether, but financially they'll be in the best position they've ever been.

Monaco has been like this for a little while now. 4 of the 5 biggest sell of players in Ligue 1 are coming from them in the last 3 years. They kept on getting better though. I'm sure they'll be fine with Jardim stays.

But looking at that Chinese money...

cromofo

IMO Liverpool fans should stop thinking they will sort out their defensive problems just by getting a couple of class defenders. The problem is mostly in Klopp's system which falls apart when teams sit deep.

Look at Dortmund when he was there. They had some great CBs and still conceded far too many goals like Liverpool did this season.

It's the system which comes with a price of leaving your shit open and any decent manager can exploit it. They need to sort it out.

CrayToes

IMO Liverpool fans should stop thinking they will sort out their defensive problems just by getting a couple of class defenders. The problem is mostly in Klopp's system which falls apart when teams sit deep.

Look at Dortmund when he was there. They had some great CBs and still conceded far too many goals like Liverpool did this season.

It's the system which comes with a price of leaving your shit open and any decent manager can exploit it. They need to sort it out.

You can believe that the system caused us to concede as many as we did last season all you want. But such a large portion of those goals were conceded due to avoidable errors from Lovren, Clyne & Klavan. Not to mention our shocking incompetence when it comes to defending set pieces.

Will VVD solve all of our issues and turn us in to a Mourinho-like defensive unit? Obviously not. But he would sure go a long way in cutting out the bullshit, spineless goals we concede whenever we come under pressure.

Also, Liverpool's defensive record has been dire since Agger/Carra left, not since Klopp arrived.

cromofo

I still think Klopp system's defensive vulnerability is most of the problem. It certainly didn't improve the situation defensive-wise since he came.

I guess we'll see next season.

Guileless

The Times understands that Lukaku has told Raiola that he wants to move to Chelsea this summer. It is thought that United made contact with Raiola about signing Lukaku as a replacement for the injured Zlatan Ibrahimovic but the striker has decided that he wants to return to Stamford Bridge instead.

United on to their third choice striker already? What will Morata's excuse be?

The reporting story is just to try and cough out more money from Liverpool since City are out of the race and no real news from the Chelsea camp. Plus VVD pretty much said he wants Liverpool so Southampton have no leverage.

Their manager is gone, Bertrand to City is all but confirmed and VVD wants Liverpool. Need to save face a little and guess what, out comes the news that they want 75m for VVD now.

Guileless

Nolito is desperate to leave Manchester City because of the miserable weather, claiming his daughter has become so pale over the last year that “it looks like she’s been living in a cave”.

It is safe to say that Nolito has not adapted to English life. “I have learnt very, very little English — it’s very hard,” he told Spanish radio station El Transistor. “Just ‘tomorrow’, ‘good morning’, ‘good afternoon’ and a little more.”

GHG

Nolito is desperate to leave Manchester City because of the miserable weather, claiming his daughter has become so pale over the last year that “it looks like she’s been living in a cave”.

It is safe to say that Nolito has not adapted to English life. “I have learnt very, very little English — it’s very hard,” he told Spanish radio station El Transistor. “Just ‘tomorrow’, ‘good morning’, ‘good afternoon’ and a little more.”

It's a shame he didn't adapt, good player. He had a very good start and I was wondering why Arsenal didn't try to sign him, but it turns out he would have been the second coming of Jose Antonio Reyes.

Audioboxer

The Times understands that Lukaku has told Raiola that he wants to move to Chelsea this summer. It is thought that United made contact with Raiola about signing Lukaku as a replacement for the injured Zlatan Ibrahimovic but the striker has decided that he wants to return to Stamford Bridge instead.

United on to their third choice striker already? What will Morata's excuse be?

Sell for £28m and buy back for £70m~. Not quite as painful as Pogba.

As for United, incoming £50m for Benteke at this rate.

Dark Rider

Marca confirms that Madrid have decided against de Gea for this year. Wonder if transfers have gotten so expensive that the best players wind up staying put this year?

http://www.marca.com/futbol/real-madrid/2017/06/07/593801fc468aeb7b498b45c2.html

As I said before, IF Florentino is still interested to get DDG he will just instruct him to not sign any new contracts with United. DDG will not make any fuss but simply will reject all United extension offers. Florentino then can buy him either for cheap the last year of his contract or get him for free after it expires.

The other possibility is that Florentino doesn't care any more and will not bring DDG to Real Madrid but the press will keep printing money via selling clickbait bogus articles about it, it's a gold mine for them.

Bottom line is whether we get DDG or we don't I don't think Florentino will pay a big sum to United for DDG after the fax fiasco.

Unless there is someone in Real Madrid who desperately want to go to United and will throw a fuss about it only then I can see Florentino saying fuck it and do trade + money (depending who the player is and how much his worth) for DDG

DBT85

As I said before, IF Florentino is still interested to get DDG he will just instruct him to not sign any new contracts with United. DDG will not make any fuss but simply will reject all United extension offers. Florentino then can buy him either for cheap the last year of his contract or get him for free after it expires
Huge risk for a player. He runs his huge contract down and with a year to go gets a huge injury ending his career with no long contract to pay out.

Madrid have always been floated but it's never seemed nailed on like Ronaldo was. Even the fax farce wouldn't have happened if Madrid hadn't waited till the last second.

Fdkn

Even the fax farce wouldn't have happened if Madrid hadn't waited till the last second.

Really? I don't know what were you reading but Madrid had made the offer way earlier, it wasn't until the last moment that LvG decided to give the 'yes'... probably with the intention of mocking them for the whole summer.

And I'm thankful for that, because Keylor deserved better.

Top Bottom