• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

Man this really made me upset to be honest. I thought this was gonna be the summer where we started to actually act like the big club all the fans, players, managers think we are... and now this. Fuck :/

The Sessegnon stuff was one thing. The VVD situation is an unbelievable dumpster fire. I don't understand the thought process at all. Why leak to the press (and Liverpool undoubtedly did when all the club connected writers had the same story at the same time)?It's Trumpian levels of incompetence.

I don't want to hear anything about LFC transfers until they are registered at this point. The club needs to lay off the press game for a bit. The window isn't even open yet FFS.

Beefy

Have a word mate. We've been embarrassed enough :(
Sorry man:

Southampton still fully expect the Premier League to carry out an investigation after they reported Liverpool for the “tapping-up” over van Dijk which could yet result in a heavy fine or more severe punishment.

There is a reluctance from the Premier League to get involved and yet Mirror Sport understands other clubs have offered their support to Southampton and are looking for them to take a strong stance on the matter.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/southampton-liverpool-virgil-van-dijk-10580242

PowerTaxi

Banned
giphy.gif

Beefy

Saints talking to Schmidt and Tuchel about replacing Puel. Any want to give me more info on them and who you deem better?

Cheers

DBT85

Mate, I had no intention of aggravating you and I apologize if you felt that way. All I wanted to do is just present things as they are with no sugar coating. The transfer business is ruthless mate and every club will do what they think is best for themselves.

It's not you mate, it's just the general air you get from Madrid often via Marca that "we can do what we want and if we don't sign someone it can only be because we did not will it, go about your days, plebians".

Man this really made me upset to be honest. I thought this was gonna be the summer where we started to actually act like the big club all the fans, players, managers think we are... and now this. Fuck :/

You are a true Liverpool fan.

Just think, next season Klopp will be able to do an Arsene and say "we tried to sign him".

sammex

Bit more info about the massive fuck up

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...uthampton-overvirgil-van-dijk-proves-selling/

It was a measure of the seriousness with which Liverpool principal owner John W Henry took Southampton’s allegations against his club of an illegal approach to Virgil van Dijk – and the potential consequences – that it was the American billionaire who oversaw Wednesday’s remarkable climbdown.

The final wording of the apology statement released on Liverpool’s website was agreed between the two leadership groups at the clubs, which at Anfield meant Henry and Mike Gordon, another key member of Fenway Sports Group.

They dealt directly with Saints chairman Ralph Krueger, and his key aides including Les Reed, the executive director.

It was an unprecedented response by Liverpool to an unprecedented problem.

Southampton were well aware that their player was being tapped up, but when multiple stories emerged this week that he had decided to join Liverpool, the view at St Mary’s was that enough was enough. Their evidence was so compelling that Liverpool had no option but to back down.

At stake was a Premier League investigation, and the initial complaint sent to the League by Southampton still stands, however if both clubs decide that Liverpool’s statement is an end to the matter, then there will be no further action. The saga could yet have consequences for key figures at Liverpool with technical director Michael Edwards to be asked how the club got it so wrong.

Beefy

Milan are going crazy:

Bought:
Kessie
Musacchio £15m
Ricardo Rodriguez £14m

Fee Agreed:
Keita + Biglia (Lazio) €50m
Conti

Bid for:
Belotti £39m

Interested in:
Diego Costa
James Rodriguez
Andre Silva

Icolin

Banned
How does our (Liverpool) front office keep on fucking up. Just when I thought we were on the brink of duking it out with the big boys in the transfer market, this happens.

Empty

Something should be done about tapping up. Clubs should always go through the proper channels.

it's weird that there was so much furore about the ashley cole transfer to chelsea a decade ago and now tapping up is basically how every transfer is negotiated

absolute amateur hour by liverpool to do it so badly they got themselves in trouble though. jesus.

Is it really unprecedented when they did a similar apology to Fulham for Dempsey?

Tapping up isn't unprecedented at all. It's effectively common practice. I'm sure there are degrees of which that are more commonplace than others, but for the most part clubs get over it now.

What doesn't happen all the time is bragging about it to multiple media outlets, which seems to be what got LFC in trouble. You didn't see other clubs doing that.

Liverpool lol

I'd say Wednesday's briefing was unimaginably hubristic, but shooting ourselves in the foot has as traditional as YNWA and kicking towards the Kop in the second half

Look forward to either getting a transfer ban, or being so miserly that we end up settling for shite who will make me wish we'd got a transfer ban. From what I recall of De Vrij, he's more Klavan than Van Dijk. Fuck that.

Dark Rider

It's not you mate, it's just the general air you get from Madrid often via Marca that "we can do what we want and if we don't sign someone it can only be because we did not will it, go about your days, plebians".

Marca and AS are rags don't listen to them
and while we are on the subject of rags don't listen to Barcelona rags sport and mundo deportivo either

there are more of course but I think you would hear from those more than others

On the subject of Liverpool and Southampton
looking at recent years it is clear how much Liverpool poached from Southampton
I think Southampton were keeping an eye on it this time and maybe even hired private investigators to watch it closely with the intent of punishing Liverpool for poaching them year in and year out.
Of course Liverpool might have been careless a little about it because they thought it is business as usual but I'm sure Southampton were on stand by to cut Liverpool deep.

If there's anything that can ruin a good day for me beyond stupid ex's or annoying family members, it's Liverpool FC being a complete shambles of a club.

I wish I could just tune out and tune back in when the new season starts where we have Zaha, Robertson and Keane instead of Salah, Keita and Van Dijk.

Best wishes.

Paul Joyce is normally reliable, but he seems to have pulled that out of his arse

Liverpool CEO is meeting Southampton CEO as part of a meeting all the PL CEOs have to go to, therefore the Van Dijk deal is still on. The two don't go together in the slightest. First things first we need to know whether the investigation is going ahead, and what the likely punishment would be if it is. Then we at very least let the Van Dijk pursuit rest for a while if we still have eyes on him.

Syder

"Chelsea do not want me" - Diego Costa

Chelsea striker Diego Costa says he has been told by manager Antonio Conte that he is no longer in the club's plans.

The 28-year-old scored 20 goals in 35 Premier League games to help the Blues win the title but now appears set to leave Stamford Bridge.

"I'm a Chelsea player, but they do not want me there," Costa said.

"Antonio Conte has told me by message that I do not follow at Chelsea and that's it. Conte said he did not count on me for next season."

Costa added: "My relationship with the coach has been bad this season. It's a shame, I've already forwarded the message to Chelsea people to decide."

sammex

Marca and AS are rags don't listen to them
and while we are on the subject of rags don't listen to Barcelona rags sport and mundo deportivo either

there are more of course but I think you would hear from those more than others

On the subject of Liverpool and Southampton
looking at recent years it is clear how much Liverpool poached from Southampton
I think Southampton were keeping an eye on it this time and maybe even hired private investigators to watch it closely with the intent of punishing Liverpool for poaching them year in and year out.
Of course Liverpool might have been careless a little about it because they thought it is business as usual but I'm sure Southampton were on stand by to cut Liverpool deep.

Haha you say this seriously as if Southampton haven't been generously compensated for their players and then some. It's the way they survive in the PL, by developing players for profit, and they're good at it.

Syder

Sounds like the only reason Southampton reported Liverpool is because they didn't like being low-balled for VvD.

Syder

Seems like Conte took umbrage with Costa's behaviour during the January window when China came calling and rumours suggest Chinese teams are still interested.

Paul Joyce is normally reliable, but he seems to have pulled that out of his arse

Liverpool CEO is meeting Southampton CEO as part of a meeting all the PL CEOs have to go to, therefore the Van Dijk deal is still on. The two don't go together in the slightest. First things first we need to know whether the investigation is going ahead, and what the likely punishment would be if it is. Then we at very least let the Van Dijk pursuit rest for a while if we still have eyes on him.

Probably just going over there to beg. Offer Moreno as a sacrificial lamb.

T-Rex.

Banned
Getting done for tapping up Van Dijk, refusing to overpay for Salah, and a (probable) Tory landslide.. What a week lads.

Dark Rider

Haha you say this seriously as if Southampton haven't been generously compensated for their players and then some. It's the way they survive in the PL, by developing players for profit, and they're good at it.

I don't doubt that they were indeed well compensated, however they might still have ambitions or want to be payed more. that is the business side of things, I'm sure Southampton fans are sick if and mad because it keeps happening and probably demanding Liverpool head for it.

Pachimari

I hope this is gonna be a quiet summer. That we keep Keylor, so we don't have to go through some dramatic saga just to get some big name goalkeeper. I'm very content with what we have. Just bring back the boys from spells at other clubs. Seems like Enzo is getting either promoted to the first squad or getting a chance at it during the pre-season.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like the only reason Southampton reported Liverpool is because they didn't like being low-balled for VvD.

No. They reported Liverpool because they made a deal with the player then bragged about in the media before they even contacted the club.

acohrs

Big Chelsea conspiracies right now that the board and club was pushing the China move and rumours to cash out on Costa. Don't believe it as why sell our star striker in the middle of a title run.

Will miss Costa but can you trust a player thats tried to leave for atletico for a while? Bad time to announce it for him, cant leave for them for another 6 months. Will probably be malouda'd.

Shame it had to end like this but behind Conte and the club, can't trust him

CrayToes

Costa has been a cunt since he arrived. He was slightly more cunty in January.

I've personally loved having him in the PL the past few years. If not just for how much he gets under Arsenal's skin. We need more big characters like him.

acohrs

Only Costa knows what Costa is thinking at any point, did like him though, wished he would have stayed and calmed down.

DBT85

I've personally loved having him in the PL the past few years. If not just for how much he gets under Arsenal's skin. We need more big characters like him.

I liked the aggression bit in his first season, he looked like he was a bit mad and would go for it. Then in the second season he turned into a complete wanker. Flopping all over and crying to the ref.

Amazing he only got send off what, once?

Milan are going crazy:

Bought:
Kessie
Musacchio £15m
Ricardo Rodriguez £14m

Fee Agreed:
Keita + Biglia (Lazio) €50m
Conti

Bid for:
Belotti £39m

Interested in:
Diego Costa
James Rodriguez
Andre Silva

Considering the squads I've had to watch for the past 4 years, this is finally exciting.

Beefy

No, we reported them because they held a press briefing (to 3 reporters) saying they had basically signed Van Dijk. Who then wrote articles and released them all at the same time. When they hadn't even contacted us.

They fucked up

Top Bottom