• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

T-Rex.

Banned
Convincing him to join us over Chelsea or City is massive.

Anything over £25m is extortion. The number being bandied around, £54m, is actually ludicrous.
In today's market though? I think he's exactly what we need; an aerially dominant CB (over 70% aerial duel win rate), that has the pace and intelligence to play in a Klopp defence. The money is crazy, but that's the Premier League.

The thing that impressed me most about VVD was the game at St. Mary's(0-0) when he literally strolled past a Mané at full pace, following up by a last ditch tackle.

MrS

Banned
Convincing him to join us over Chelsea or City is massive.

In today's market though? I think he's exactly what we need; an aerially dominant CB (over 70% aerial duel win rate), that has the pace and intelligence to play in a Klopp defence. The money is crazy, but that's the Premier League.
Pepe's available on a free. His PSG deal isn't done yet and Liverpool are a bigger club in a better league. Should be in there going for him instead of paying inflated prices for slightly above average players.

CrayToes

Fucking hell. Just heard about Tiote. RIP. I'll never forget the goal he scored against Arsenal in that 4-4 thriller.

Blue Lou

They never miss an opportunity to advertise their website, do they?

DBkgX_oUwAAVIRf.jpg

DBkYGSNXsAEXNwn.jpg

DBkdNk-XYAAKtpF.jpg

Icolin

Banned
So based on these latest rumors, is Van Dijk to Liverpool really happening? Would be massive for us, not just because we're getting a damn good player, but also that we're showing we can splash some cash.

DIJKS OUT FOR VIRGIL

So based on these latest rumors, is Van Dijk to Liverpool really happening? Would be massive for us, not just because we're getting a damn good player, but also that we're showing we can splash some cash.

DIJKS OUT FOR VIRGIL

Seems like it. But who knows.

cromofo

What are your thoughts on rumored Chelsea swap deal for Lukaku?

Looks like Michy + 60-70 mil could be a great deal. But swap deals are very rare these days.

If we're gonna sell Lukaku, I want a player swap + money coz knowing us we're gonna shit the bed when it comes to signing good players this summer.

If we had 1 trillion to spend we'd still get freakin' Obiang and Deeney.

What are your thoughts on rumored Chelsea swap deal for Lukaku?

Looks like Michy + 60-70 mil could be a great deal. But swap deals are very rare these days.

If we're gonna sell Lukaku, I want a player swap + money coz knowing us we're gonna shit the bed when it comes to signing good players this summer.

If we had 1 trillion to spend we'd still get freakin' Obiang and Deeney.

Sigurdsson have been rumored for awhile. Surely Everton should be able to sign him.

cromofo

Sigurdsson have been rumored for awhile. Surely Everton should be able to sign him.

Yeah looks like they're negotiating wages. He's exactly what we need. Perfect set-piece taker and a creative mind.

There have also been Vardy rumors but idk what to think about that.

If Lukaku goes, something like Michy B and Vardy upfront with Sigurdsson behind would be pretty good. Pace and creativity.

I wouldn't mind Perez either. It's a shame Sandro looks to be going to A. Madrid instead of us, I really wanted him.

Buzzing about this Van Dijk talk. Don't care if fees/wages are mugging us off, FSG has the money, and we need the defenders. If we can get Salah as well I'm already pretty happy about the window. Keita would still be excellent though.

Pachimari

Hmm, I am sure I read that Real Madrid was going to reveal the new Jersey today but I can't find it. Have anyone seen it?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
it makes me laugh a little that teams will drop £60m on van Dijk but nobody's coming in for Romeu. scouting the tabloids again.

cromofo

You are right. In a world where Bailly can be bought for 30m...

John Stones is rubbing his hands if van Dijk does transfer for 60m.

For 1 VVD you can get for example De Vrij and Keane, two class defenders. I'd much rather go for the pair.

Audioboxer

Think Van Dijk is way better than Stones. But sure it's a big sum, but we managed to sign Matip on a free so it's alright.

He is, but the fee is still mental. As below there ARE other options out there. You'll always get milked for defenders but Europe has some good talent. Buying a defender from another EPL team is how you get bent over for Stones like money.

For 1 VVD you can get for example De Vrij and Keane, two class defenders. I'd much rather go for the pair.

Honestly, I don't think we need 2 good CBs. Would much rather buy one really good one to go next to Matip. I'd also be very wary of Keane's ability to adapt to a team that doesn't play like Burnley.

If we sign VVD for this astronomical price and it infringes on our ability to sign a good LB/CM though, that's a different matter

sora87

Honestly, I don't think we need 2 good CBs. Would much rather buy one really good one to go next to Matip. I'd also be very wary of Keane's ability to adapt to a team that doesn't play like Burnley.

If we sign VVD for this astronomical price and it infringes on our ability to sign a good LB/CM though, that's a different matter

I wish we went for Ricardo Rodríguez :(

CrayToes

CB is the most important position for us to improve upon. The amount of goals we've shipped in the past 5 years or so is a fucking joke. 50m+ is fine by me if VVD proves to be the real deal. Especially considering Klopp's disdain for DM's.

Beefy

CB is the most important position for us to improve upon. The amount of goals we've shipped in the past 5 years or so is a fucking joke. 50m+ is fine by me if VVD proves to be the real deal. Especially considering Klopp's disdain for DM's.
He will be brilliant for you 3 games out of four and then be switched off for the 4th game.

Beefy

Maybe that'll be the 1 game in 4 where Lovren switches on 🤔
Only problem Van Dijk has is he gets bored. So he just chills and relaxes and switches off. He is brilliant though, will dominate in your defence and is at ease with the ball at his feet

cromofo

With all this talk of VVD to Pool, Lindelof to United, Everton might actually have a chance to slide in Keane's DMs.

But then again, Everton that.

Audioboxer

He'll grow to be a great player, be sure of it.

I honestly do not know enough about him. Then again Bailly came out of nowhere for me as well, and he seems to have a bit of Vidic in him. Has been a great Mou purchase.

Unlike Mike Smalling and Fail Jones, who both need to go (or one of them does). Although to be fair on Phil, he was having a great run at CB with Rojo then got injured, again.

cromofo

I honestly do not know enough about him. Then again Bailly came out of nowhere for me as well, and he seems to have a bit of Vidic in him. Has been a great Mou purchase.

Unlike Mike Smalling and Fail Jones, who both need to go (or one of them does). Although to be fair on Phil, he was having a great run at CB with Rojo then got injured, again.

My friend is a Benfica fan and he says Lindelof is the real deal. I've watched him play in CL and some league games and I quite like the look of him.

I'd keep Jones if you'd ask me. Smalling would get the boot.

Audioboxer

My friend is a Benfica fan and he says Lindelof is the real deal. I've watched him play in CL and some league games and I quite like the look of him.

I'd keep Jones if you'd ask me. Smalling would get the boot.

Bailly has Vidic in him and Lindelof actually looks a bit like Vidic. It could be the perfect match! De Gea has been saving us for seasons, but ultimately we've missed that Ferdinand/Vidic partnership for years.

And yeah Smalling is often a liability. Jones does some dodgy stuff, but he proved this season alongside Rojo he can be a reliable CB when he's not injured (as he routinely is).

Floody

He is, but the fee is still mental. As below there ARE other options out there. You'll always get milked for defenders but Europe has some good talent. Buying a defender from another EPL team is how you get bent over for Stones like money.

Meh, we got Matip for free, might as well splash the cash on VvD to make up for it. Also, it's nice to see us actually put our money were our mouth is for a change, instead of just bowing out once the cost get really high.

Saying that still think City will beat us to him.

Still shocked about the news of Tiote's death, he was a really good combative midfielder.

Rumoured to be a £30m deal. Hopefully ends up Bailly 2.0.

We will have so many defenders if Lindelof joins, I can see one or two leaving. The left hand side of defence is just too stacked.

Gutted about Tiote. I remember Arsenal being linked with him a few seasons back and I thought he was just what we needed.

RIP gone way too soon.

TimmmV

Thats really, really sad about Tiote, 30 is way too young for anyone to pass away.

Yeah, I'm worried that means Keita wont happen, who looks like he would be perfect.

Tbh I'm worried that all our eggs are being put in one basket with van Dijk, and that he is either wont live up to the fee, or will get injured in his first training session lol. Saying that, it is nice to be beating City and Chelsea to a player, its been ages since that's even been remotely realistic.

Yeah, I'm worried that means Keita wont happen, who looks like he would be perfect.

Tbh I'm worried that all our eggs are being put in one basket with van Dijk, and that he is either wont live up to the fee, or will get injured in his first training session lol. Saying that, it is nice to be beating City and Chelsea to a player, its been ages since that's even been remotely realistic.

The Echo say Van Dijk, Salah and Keita still remain geniune targets. With Van Dijk and Salah pretty close.

Beefy

Seems like Liverpool have only talked with VVD and his staff so far. A lot of the news from earlier today mentioned that talks with Southampton "will happen soon".

60m + or you aren't getting him. I think it will happen, but Liverpool have to pay up.

Top Bottom