• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

cromofo

Are Liverpool building a track team for the Olympics?

Everton look to be close to signing Klaassen and Sandro Ramirez. Very happy with that.

Beefy

How so?

Ah, made of glass. I see

Yeah guy is badly injury prone:

DBv4SjOXoAEZxqI

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
England player ratings from the Times. 4 for Hart is generous.

Joe Hart 4/10
Poor positional sense for the free kick for Scotland’s first goal from Griffiths, being too near his right post. Reacted too slowly for the second free kick from the same player. Big mistakes.

Jake Livermore 6/10
Gave away the foul that led to Griffiths’ second goal. Had been tidy until then without being spectacular. Saw a deflected shot hit a post early in the second half.

Kyle Walker 6/10
Was never given the true licence to show what he can do going forward. England needed more of his pace and penetration on the right flank. More to offer than he showed on this occasion.

Adam Lallana 7/10
Lovely, silky feet, he always looked dangerous. Came close to scoring in the first half, when he opened up the Scotland defence and saw his shot tipped into the side netting.

Gary Cahill 6/10
Made a right mess of a challenge on Griffiths in the 86th minute. That gave Scotland a lifeline, when the same Scottish player curled his free kick past Hart. Had been composed before then.

Dele Alli 5/10
Anonymous. Took an early kick from Brown and never really settled into the game. Spurned a decent chance in the 50th minute and his vision was off and his passing poor.

Chris Smalling 6/10
Not the most difficult of afternoons for the Manchester United centre-half facing an unambitious Scotland side with just Griffiths up front. Did his job alongside Cahill.

Marcus Rashford 6/10
Was on set pieces, which seemed strange. Has the pace to have done more than he did. Withdrawn to be replaced by a player who was more purposeful and direct and scored.

Ryan Bertrand 7/10
Gave a good attacking option down the left and his crosses were a key element for Southgate’s men going forward. Will be happy with what he did for the visitors.

Harry Kane 8/10
Did what good captains do: rescued his team in their hour of need. A massive strike, three minutes into stoppage time, with composure. Had missed three chances before then.

Eric Dier 5/10
Was not the dominating presence England expected him to be in midfield. There is more to Dier’s game than he showed. Should have been the platform in front of his back four for victory.

sammex

Don't want to pay £35m for Salah but willing to pay £50m for AOC who has worse goals/assists throughout his career. Right! They could at least make it seem believable.

Hart will definitely be dropped for the France game.

For who though?

Forster is just Hart with black hair, Butland has been injured for ages, Pickford is unproven at this level in my opinion, I mean it's fine looking good in Sunderland when you're peppered with shots and all that.

Syder

For who though?

Forster is just Hart with black hair, Butland has been injured for ages, Pickford is unproven at this level in my opinion, I mean it's fine looking good in Sunderland when you're peppered with shots and all that.
Forster is most likely to get the shout.

NHale

Rojo could miss half the season recovering and we know with 100% certainty Jones and Smalling will miss part of the season with injuries. Maybe Jose has a little more trust in Tuanzebe after the end of last year but if he goes on loan it leaves the team with 2 fit CBs who you have confidence can actually play 90 minutes without breaking. We needed another CB and it was reported all last year that Jose wanted 2 coming in. Maybe Luke Shaw gets another chance at LB. Mou seemed to fancy Darmian down the stretch and he was adequate.

As much as I doubt Mourinho would ever try to implement a 3 center back system as his base for the season, his signings seems to point to that especially if the Perisic rumors are true. Right now he has Bailly, Lindelof, Smalling, Jones, Rojo and Blind to play as center backs. I'm sure he would love to sell Smalling, but who in their right mind will pay anything for him that would please Man United?

Perisic "thrives" as the LB/LW in a 3 center back system (that's why apparently Chelsea is interested as well). Also this would be a system that fits Pogba a lot more, giving him more freedom in the middle of the pitch like he did at Juventus. At the same time playing in this system would allow Rashford to play in the middle with another striker which fits him a lot more than playing on the left side and at the same time remove any need for a right winger this summer (Lingard to be a bench player at best!!!).

Still desperately need a holding midfielder though. Will Monaco sell Mourinho's favorite (Fabinho) in the same offseason that they will sell Bakayoko to Chelsea, or will Mourinho overpay for another of his boys (Matic)? Quite frankly I don't see a lot of proven holding midfielders on the market...

spidye

This being the same Gnabry, that Tony Pulis deemed not good enough for WBA like yesterday? :)

Yes, I know, a few seasons have gone, different league, different playstyles, all of that, but it's still a bit funny.

dunno but gnabry was the best scorer in the olympic football games last year
he's not bad for his age

I wonder when the English national team will actually start to develop a footballing ethos and deploy players who are best suited to that style rather than just selecting whoever is the most popular at that point in time.

cromofo

damnit Croatia. why do we always complicate our lives by stupid shit like that?

in other news; Sandro Ramirez of Malaga spotted at Liverpool and in talks with Everton. Gotta love smartphone detectives.

5.2M for a 21 year old who scored 16 goals and assisted 5 in LaLiga lmaoooo. Absolute steal when looking at some other transfers these days.

Beefy

Milan update:

Bought:
Kessie
Musacchio £15m
Ricardo Rodriguez £14m
Andre Silva £29m

Fee Agreed:
Keita + Biglia (Lazio) €50m
Conti
Kalinic

Interested in:
Diego Costa
James Rodriguez
Damian
Belotti

Kyoufu

Chinese consortium apparently interested in buying Newcastle United FC.

I don't know if I should be optimistic or worried.

Top Bottom