• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
fuck sake Saints got Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and Man U in the space of three weeks over Christmas. Every year this happens.

Optimistic about Crystal Palace's opening matches. First Huddersfield at home, and then an easy away game at Anfield against Liverpool. :) #threeinarow #Benteke

Beefy

Tolisso has joined Bayern.

DCShZmOW0AUPWxV

City willing to bid up to £60m for Sanchez

Really like City's fixtures. Even the fixtures around the CL are good this time, only difficult area looks to be during the round of 16 which could fall either side of Arsenal and Chelsea but Chelsea should also have CL games to worry about.

TeddyBoy

Optimistic about Crystal Palace's opening matches. First Huddersfield at home, and then an easy away game at Anfield against Liverpool. :) #threeinarow #Benteke

Cecil, we both know you need to pay over the odds for our shite players to maintain this agreement....

So Lucas for £20m?

Everton have City, Chelsea, Spurs and United in first 5 fixtures.

Might be good tho. We'll be match fit before anyone else due to Europa Qualifications. We can surprise. Bring it on.

It's probably better for you guys, as you say you'll be match ready earlier, and there's always the chance Chelsea will repeat last year and be dire the first few games, or one of the other teams will do the same.

DBT85

At least it ain't a 50m John Stones effort. Remember the issue we have is in attack Mou...

Nice to see some business get done at least.

And while yeah, we've had a better defensive record, lets not pretend as if we're all thrilled by Smalling and Jones. With Rojo out for a period as well it makes sense.

Now, where's that Ray Wilkins video about players from Europe costing more than from England.

acohrs

They finished 8th and made it to the final of the League Cup.

That doesn't seem so bad for Southampton. Does it?

6th season before and early exits in the fa cup and europe league cup, plus really bad form for the last few months.

TBH Southamption had gotten some managers before in Koeman and Pochettino, was only a matter of time before they received a dud with the rate of change down there. Not to say Puel was bad, but following those 2 would be tough for anybody

Pachimari

The hell, Diego Llorente might sign for Real Sociedad for €8 million. That shit would be a steal like no other. He better come back to Madrid.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
And while yeah, we've had a better defensive record, lets not pretend as if we're all thrilled by Smalling and Jones. With Rojo out for a period as well it makes sense.

Speaking of which..

Mourinho told Expresso, a Portuguese newspaper, that he used long-ball tactics in the Europa League final win over Ajax because Smalling’s passing was not good enough. “I told my players that for me, beautiful is not giving our opponents what they want,” he said. “I even joked with Smalling, ‘With your feet, we’re for sure not playing out from the back!’ ”

via Times

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
6th season before and early exits in the fa cup and europe league cup, plus really bad form for the last few months.

Also only 46 points (despite that being good enough for 8th) and quite boring to watch. No direction or identity.

acohrs

is it just me or does this transfer season feel a bit meh? Could be because I'm a chels fan and we seem to be losing players rather than signing any, but no really big, exciting transfer either for any of the top EU clubs

El Topo

Douglas Costa going to Juve. :(
I really, really hope he manages to get back to the form he initially had when he joined us. Would love to see him succeed at Turin.

It ridiculous. Sign a 4 year deal and if you want to move on you're 22 with a whole career ahead of you. Milan has been making great moves this window to improve and it would have been the best place for him to develop. Unreal.

Jarnet87

Raiola is the master of the dark arts, he's gonna get a mighty fine paycheck from Madrid for Donnarumma.

But at least it means De Gea will be staying at Old Trafford.

cromofo

Officially the 3rd most expensive keeper in history: Jordan Pickford

Record signing for Everton.

goalkeeper-jordan-pickford-looks-on-as-he-signs-for-everton-at-the-picture-id696270700

Welcome lad. Big Nev Southall and Shilton have nothing but praise for him, that's good enough for me.

Raiola is the master of the dark arts, he's gonna get a mighty fine paycheck from Madrid for Donnarumma.

But at least it means De Gea will be staying at Old Trafford.

There's no way this kid is ready for the pressure of playing in front of Madrid fans. The first time he goofs up they'll turn on him and want Flo to bring in de Gea.

Syder

Officially the 3rd most expensive keeper in history: Jordan Pickford

Record signing for Everton.

goalkeeper-jordan-pickford-looks-on-as-he-signs-for-everton-at-the-picture-id696270700

Welcome lad. Big Nev Southall and Shilton have nothing but praise for him, that's good enough for me.
His all round game is already great for his age.

Empty

rate pickford quite a lot. honestly 30m is not a lot for a player that can be your goalie for 15 years.

This is a mistake on his part. He's good but he still has a long way to go on his development.

so many people said this about pogba when he left united for juve tbf

Syder

so many people said this about pogba when he left united for juve tbf
Donnarumma turned 18 just a few months ago. Pogba was 23 when he left Juve. Goalkeepers take longer than outfield players to peak. Disrupting his development is not a good idea.

Jarnet87

Madrid could always loan him or make him the backup keeper for a season or two playing the cup games and the odd league game. I don't expect them to do that but it is an option

spidye

Douglas Costa going to Juve. :(
I really, really hope he manages to get back to the form he initially had when he joined us. Would love to see him succeed at Turin.
Nah fuck him.
The shit he said in the most important time of our season was not forgivable.

Top Bottom