• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member
BBC are jumping the gun a little. They report a fee has been agreed, then a few seconds later that Lukaku is "signing" for Utd. A fee being agreed is not a done deal. If Lukaku has his heart set on a move to Chelsea, as has previously been claimed, then all this does is nail down the figure Chelsea will have to pay to secure him.

Gavin Robertson

Neo Member
This might bite me in the ass a little bit, but am I the only one who think Lukaku is a bit overrated?

Overrated is perhaps a bit harsh, but he does have a bit of a flat track bully about him. An absolute battering ram, very much a Mourinho type striker, but his ability to deliver at the very highest level, where Utd must surely be aiming, has never been proven.

DKehoe

Wow. 75 Million for Lukaku.

Modern football prices are insane, especially between Premier League clubs. Holy crap.

What's crazy is my initial thought was "75? that's pretty good" the standard for transfers had changed so much. But with all the talk around Lukaku I thought he would be going for more than that.

I feel bad for Morata since he apparently really wanted to come to Utd (or at the very least wanted to be somewhere where he was the first choice striker). I also wonder if Chelsea missing out on Lukaku is going to frustrate Conte further.

RocknRola

What's crazy is my initial thought was "75? that's pretty good" the standard for transfers had changed so much. But with all the talk around Lukaku I thought he would be going for more than that.

I feel bad for Morata since he apparently really wanted to come to Utd (or at the very least wanted to be somewhere where he was the first choice striker). I also wonder if Chelsea missing out on Lukaku is going to frustrate Conte further.

I always remember that some 15 or so years ago, Figo and Zidane got transfered to RM for ~50 and ~60 Million respectively. Arguably two of the best players to grace the game, one of them easily in everyones top 5 too.

Crazy how in such a relative short amount of time clubs are paying a lot more for players who'll never achieve that sort of status.

cromofo

IMO this is very well going to 90m

Rooney is most def included, and some of his wages paid.

Maybe some addons too

Bubble

Neo Member
Would have preferred Morata over Lukaku at United. Would have been nice to have gotten both, but with United ending their interest at Morata, that dream is surely dead. First Griezmann, now Morata. Goddamn it.

I wonder what Chelsea are going to do now. Diego Costa is surely not going to play from them anymore, and with Lukaku close to joining United, then who would they go for? Morata could be an option for Chelsea (Conte bought him to Juve), but then Chelsea has to deal with Real, and they have zero reason to sell him.

TimmmV

BBC are jumping the gun a little. They report a fee has been agreed, then a few seconds later that Lukaku is "signing" for Utd. A fee being agreed is not a done deal. If Lukaku has his heart set on a move to Chelsea, as has previously been claimed, then all this does is nail down the figure Chelsea will have to pay to secure him.

For United to go to the trouble of agreeing a fee for him with Everton, its pretty certain that Lukaku will have at least discussed personal terms with United

Yes, there is nothing stopping Chelsea gazumping United, but unless that happens it seems he will go there

This might bite me in the ass a little bit, but am I the only one who think Lukaku is a bit overrated?

Depends, he definitely has limitations in some areas of his game, but its between him and Kane for the leagues best young striker, and Kane has the benefit of playing in a much better squad than Lukaku too. He will be a better focal point for Uniteds attack than Zlatan was too

But yeah, hopefully hes shit :)

cromofo

The narrative has been that Lukaku wants to come back. If we match that bid, it stands to reason we can get a deal through.

That 75m Utd deal is most likely + around 20m in free Rooney and a year or two of his wages.

Chelsea will have to offer around 90m to get him IMO.

Interesting.

sammex

Interesting development. Mino Raiola wants more of that United cash. I wonder if Chelsea will match it? Lukaku is good but he's not top level great, certainly not going to help transform their style of play. Boring boring Man United.

Imagine replacing Lukaku with Rooney though...

Stubo

If interest in Morata really is being dropped I hope that means a pea transfer is in the works or there's another cheaper striker being looked at.

Not sure lukaku, rashford and martial would be enough.

Stan Collymore‏@StanCollymore 9m
Lukaku.

#EFC fans will concur. You can tell in 10 mins if the big man will play well or not.

His first touch. Solid or sloppy.

Yeah I know it's Collymore, but he kinda echos my feelings on Lukaku to be honest.

If interest in Morata really is being dropped I hope that means a pea transfer is in the works or there's another cheaper striker being looked at.

Not sure lukaku, rashford and martial would be enough.
You'd hope so with Rooney going, and Martial is probably better playing wide anyway.

faridmon

Stan Collymore‏@StanCollymore 9m
Lukaku.

#EFC fans will concur. You can tell in 10 mins if the big man will play well or not.

His first touch. Solid or sloppy.

Yeah I know it's Collymore, but he kinda echos my feelings on Lukaku to be honest.

You know what

Thats actually spot on.

As much as I love the dude, you can pretty much tell whether he is gonna be on fire or just plain lazy.

I was okay with Lukaku when we were selling Costa to China for 90m. At this point however I'd rather go after Belotti but I doubt that will happen. I'm resigned to us starting the season with a switched off Costa and Llorente up front.

GHG

Lukaku is worth 100m pounds. Simply the best striker in the world not named Ronaldo.

You're kidding right?

Let's just ignore all the top talent playing in Germany Spain and France and maybe we can live in a fantasy land where this has the potential to be true.

He's not even the best striker in England.

You're kidding right?

Let's just ignore all the top talent playing in Germany Spain and France and maybe we can live in a fantasy land where this has the potential to be true.

Wonder how much Kane is worth with this as the benchmark. £120 mil?

cromofo

Jim White saying deal is off.

Paul Joyce saying it's 75 million + addons raising to 90 million.

Hmm. I'd go with White.

GHG

Wonder how much Kane is worth with this as the benchmark. £120 mil?

And the rest because of English hype tax.

Not that he's interested in moving away from Tottenham anyway. I also don't see him as the type of player that the likes of Barca/Real would try to sign, he's not stylish enough.

Of the Eurorean elite clubs I could only see Bayern being interested in him in the future potentially.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think Morata is better than Lukaku overall and has a better potential for the future. He just need a team where he can play constantly.

Manchester United @ManUtd
Ready in red. ��

Our home shirt for the 2017/18 season is out now: http://manutd.co/gM
DEDY3tpXUAE8eY4.jpg:large

Why would you tweet this.

I can't stop laughing.

Jimrpg

You're kidding right?

It's a toss up between him and Kane in England obviously. Id take Lukaku if I had the choice personally, because he can get you a goal from nothing. He's a complete beast. 6'4" and however many pounds. He'll just hold you off and do what he likes.

Id have Messi, Suarez ahead of him but if we're talking about pure strikers who only play that role, Lukaku is right up there.

The other thing is he's been scoring goals for ages on a very average west brom team and Everton team, he'll definitely have more goal scoring chances on a Man U team with Mata, Pogba, Mikky behind him.

And prices are crazy now... even Liverpool want 90m pounds for Coutinho.

faridmon

What the fuck? He didn't play well in some matches( CL final or with Argentina) but his last two season were amazing.

I am sorry to disagree.

He did score plenty of goals, but he was also in a team with some of the most offensive midfielders in the world. (That Napoli team did break the record for the number of chances created that 1 year if my memory serves me right)

Lukaku had bloody Gareth Barry and Barkley who couldn't dos shit with the ball.

Top Bottom