• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

cromofo

Smells like Utd-Chelsea bidding war.

16kik.jpg

We leaked Utd's bid in hope of enticing Chelsea

Inb4 Chelsea offer more and we leak it again enticing Utd and seeing where they stand with Morata.

Lukaku will leave this week, the question is where and for how much.

casiopao

I am sorry to disagree.

He did score plenty of goals, but he was also in a team with some of the most offensive midfielders in the world. (That Napoli team did break the record for the number of chances created that 1 year if my memory serves me right)

Lukaku had bloody Gareth Barry and Barkley who couldn't dos shit with the ball.

Lol. Higuain literally just break record in Juventus for scoring more goals than Trezequet in a single season which is a long long record for Juventus.

And Serie A is famous for many team being more adept defensively. To rate him lower than Lukaku which had proven nothing on top thing is simply laughable.

Rmagnus

Banned
Lol. Higuain literally just break record in Juventus for scoring more goals than Trezequet in a single season which is a long long record for Juventus.

And Serie A is famous for many team being more adept defensively. To rate him lower than Lukaku which had proven nothing on top thing is simply laughable.

Don't you know the English league is the greatest in the world that's why every year in the champions league... Oh wait

faridmon

Hey, I am very critical of Lukaku myself. In terms of Technique, Skills and overall Package, he is not the best striker in the world.

But for his goal scoring ability in the Premier League, I would definitely take Lukaku over Higuan simply because of his young age, Premier League experience, cheaper price and consitency

Sky Sports on Twitter:

BREAKING: Guangzhou Evergrande reject £22m bid from @FCBarcelona for @paulinhop8. #SSNHQ

Paulinho the former Tottenham player.

casiopao

Hey, I am very critical of Lukaku myself. In terms of Technique, Skills and overall Package, he is not the best striker in the world.

But for his goal scoring ability in the Premier League, I would definitely take Lukaku over Higuan simply because of his young age, Premier League experience, cheaper price and consitency

In Premier League probably. But to put Lukaku better than all those other proven striker is just crazy for me.

Empty

very happy if we get lukaku over morata. doesn't make up for being rejected by griezemann but positive nonetheless.

Sky Sports on Twitter:

BREAKING: Guangzhou Evergrande reject £22m bid from @FCBarcelona for @paulinhop8. #SSNHQ

Paulinho the former Tottenham player.

barca's transfers can be so baffling

Pachimari

If Morata wants out (which I very much think he wants, for playing minutes) then there's no doubt he will be sold. We never keep our players if they want out cause it creates a bad atmosphere and pressure on the coach . And I am pretty sure both Zidane and Perez wanna give a try and see if they can sign Mbappe. I personally would rather want Morata here, but yeah, I can definitely see something like this happening.

RocknRola

Strikers have a supply and demand problem right now.

75 million. That's an insane amount of cash to pay for a player. It's another Pogba situation, in short, where Premier League money makes things x10 more expensive :p

RM, for winning this last CL, made about 15 million more than that. Think about it. Not a bargain at all IMO.

Loris146

I dont' think anything at 75 million can in any way or shape classify as a "bargain" :p

It's not bad. I'have seen worse :) Edit. It's 75 £ or Euro?

I still remember when Ronaldo was signed by Inter in 97 for 48 MLD Lire ( 25 ML euro). Now it's almost " nothing ".

RocknRola

It's not bad. I'have seen worse :) Edit. It's 75 £ or Euro?

I still remember when Ronaldo was signed by Inter in 97 for 48 MLD Lire ( 25 ML euro). Now it's almost " nothing ".

I mean, if he indeed keeps on his path and improves his number giving titles to ManU/Chelsea then it'll be a bargain, just like Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo and a couple more ended up being a "bargain" for RM; just like Suarez, Neymar and others were a bargain for Barça; etc, etc.

DBT85

75 million. That's an insane amount of cash to pay for a player. It's another Pogba situation, in short, where Premier League money makes things x10 more expensive :p

RM, for winning this last CL, made about 15 million more than that. Think about it. Not a bargain at all IMO.

£75m is about 6.5 televised PL games or one year of Adidas sponsorship money. That's not counting prize money from the PL or CL or all the other crap. It's really not that big a deal for United.

Not sure if he's right for United, but he's proven to score goals in the PL in teams that make a lot less chances than he'd get at either United of Chelsea. He's at very nearly 1 in 2 while playing for West Brom and Everton in the PL with similar in the other cups.

Not sure why he'd go to Mou again, but it might be to prove a point and make bank doing it.

Syder

I don't think Lukaku is overrated, he's a very good player in a team that doesn't meet his quality, he has a few off matches but that happens to good players at clubs outside the Top 5, and the true test of his abilities will be when he's playing in a team with world class players. He's definitely better than Morata.

Lukakus big problem for me is that he's either really good and looks almost unplayable or really really fucking shit and little to nothing in between. To be far he was really good last season for the most part. His form falling off a cliff at the end of the season before last is why no one was really in for him last summer.

TimmmV

Lukaku has scored a shit load of goals in a genuinely competitive league. It's not that much of a reach.

Lewandowski scores at a much better rate, and also does it in the CL too. Lukaku isn't better than him, although it is definitely arguable that he has the potential to eventually be better

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Lukaku is exactly the type of player Utd need. He's a powerhouse and fills that Ibra role perfectly.

also missed it yesterday but Arsenal's "LacaNewSigning" is really clever. bravo to whoever came up with that.

Tunoku

Seems like Arsenal upped their bid for Lemar from 30 to 40 million. I always assume that he was their preferred target over Mahrez, would be great if it actually happens. Getting him while still keeping Sanchez would be gas.

Jarnet87

Watched very little of of Morata or Lukaku. What I've seen of Lukaku is against United and I can't recall him standing out aside from the meaningless 5-5 draw in Fergie's last game.

Jimrpg

People comparing him to Lewandowski, I'll take Lukaku even though Lewa is a bigger name. Lukaku is proven in the EPL. Lewa plays for Bayern and plays 4-5 real league games a year and the rest are complete fodder. His team also creates a million chances.

casiopao

People comparing him to Lewandowski, I'll take Lukaku even though Lewa is a bigger name. Lukaku is proven in the EPL. Lewa plays for Bayern and plays 4-5 real league games a year and the rest are complete fodder. His team also creates a million chances.

Lol. If we are comparing it by that way, i guess Belotti should be better than Higuain now lol as he create chance alone and stays in small team.

Things dont work like that lol.

Rmagnus

Banned

Lmfao... I don't even know where to start with that kinda logic. Yeah Lukakau is the best striker

casiopao

Lmfao... I don't even know where to start with that kinda logic. Yeah Lukakau is the best striker

I am always confused with this EPL hype lol. They always act like all EPL team is competitive when they have team like Sunderland on EPL. Hell, more than half the team on the table is nothing to brag at all. And that suddenly makes an EPL proven striker much better compared to all other league striker?

Jack cw

This is amazing. It's like Trump explaining why German cars shouldn't be bought by Americans. A moment of genius.

LG
Ali

raven777

Personally would have preferred Morata over Lukaku but still happy United are getting him.

Hope this make Chelsea unhappy and not sell Matic to United, and United go for someone like Fabinho.

I am always confused with this EPL hype lol. They always act like all EPL team is competitive when they have team like Sunderland on EPL. Hell, more than half the team on the table is nothing to brag at all. And that suddenly makes an EPL proven striker much better compared to all other league striker?
I think the point the poster is making is that Lukaku is proven in the league in which he's been bought.

Also, yeah, the EPL does have some worse teams but it also doesn't have two/three teams - at best - who walk every competition or will struggle to lose every season. English winners finish - on average - with fewer overall points than their French, German and Spanish counterparts (and the German league is far less games.

Here's also the average gap between 1st and 2nd:
EPL: 6.2 points
Ligue 1: 12.6
Bundesliga: 14.4 (and fewer games)
Serie A: 11.2

The PL also has the smallest gap between 1st and 3rd and 1st and 6th.

I know that people get upset when people even remotely imply the EPL is more competitive but think about it from our perspective, where we don't even need to ask who has won Serie A, Ligue 1, Bundesliga and La Liga, people just take it from there and chat shit. Yeah, it doesn't account for the race between 2nd to 6th but even then the PL, on average, is more competitive.

I know people feel its disrespectful to their league but all I ever really see in response is either scoffing and a serious lack of reason or statistics. Its not that I doubt they exist, its that I don't really see people come back with them.

Just to note, I don't agree with the whole 'only play five real games' sentiment because that's just not true.

bwakh

Lukaku club goals before age of 23 vs selected others

Ronaldo – 194
Raul – 145
Lionel Messi – 127
Sergio Aguero – 124
*Romelu Lukaku (with two months remaining) – 119*
Michael Owen – 111
Cristiano Ronaldo – 97
Fernando Torres – 87
Wayne Rooney – 94
Luis Suarez – 77
David Villa – 70
Zlatan Ibrahimovic – 69
Alan Shearer – 65
Thierry Henry – 57

Lukaku goal record vs European strikers since 2012/13

Cristiano Ronaldo ( 31) – 207 (192 games)
Lionel Messi (28) – 195 (189)
Zlatan Ibrahimovic (34) – 137 (173)
Robert Lewandowski (27) – 133 (183)
Luis Suarez (29) – 128 (165)
Neymar (24) (since August 2012) – 104 (163)
Sergio Aguero (27) – 96 (143)
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (26) – 95 (176)
Karim Benzema (28) – 91 (173)
Gareth Bale (26) – 79 (155)
Romelu Lukaku (22) – 78 (155)
Olivier Giroud (29) – 78 (176)
Carlos Tevez (32) – 76 (159)
Wayne Rooney (30) – 63 (146)

These statistics are from March last year.

Consider that he is has been playing for clubs that finished in positions of 8th, 5th, 11th and 12th in the past few seasons.

Source

TimmmV

You're looking at it wrong - Lewandowski plays for Bayern and gets the numbers he does because hes a very good player.

Lewandowski is the first choice striker for a team who's minimum expectation every year is to make the CL semi finals. He also has 40 goals in 61 games in the CL. There is a reason why he is playing for a team as good as Bayern are.

DBT85

Ronaldo – 194
Raul – 145
Lionel Messi – 127
Sergio Aguero – 124
Michael Owen – 111
Cristiano Ronaldo – 97
Fernando Torres – 87
Wayne Rooney – 94
Luis Suarez – 77
David Villa – 70
Zlatan Ibrahimovic – 69
Alan Shearer – 65
Thierry Henry – 57

Consider that he is has been playing for clubs that finished in positions of 8th, 5th, 11th and 12th in the past few seasons.

Source

Hardly bad company.

puts into perspective how insane Ronaldo was so early though.

Loris146

Ronaldo – 194

Raul – 145
Lionel Messi – 127
Sergio Aguero – 124
Michael Owen – 111
Cristiano Ronaldo – 97
Fernando Torres – 87
Wayne Rooney – 94
Luis Suarez – 77
David Villa – 70
Zlatan Ibrahimovic – 69
Alan Shearer – 65
Thierry Henry – 57

Source

759.gif

I miss him so much.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
75 million. That's an insane amount of cash to pay for a player. It's another Pogba situation, in short, where Premier League money makes things x10 more expensive.

As a percentage of turnover, it's proportional to what high-profile transfers in the English top flight cost 25 years ago. Television revenue is just so much higher now.

Top Bottom