• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

Sorry McMoneyman. No Mou tears today.

Some forum replies at The Shed though have been golden.

NYkIw47.gif

Dammit. Congrats on Lukaku though.

Jimrpg

tumblr_osqscewIQ31t0grs4o1_1280.png

So desperate to get rid of Rooney they're giving him away. Tells you everything right there.

Rooney is a club legend at Man U, he has been easily worth the 30m that Man U paid for him. If they want to seal the Lukaku deal it makes sense to provide a sweetener, and it's not something Chelsea would be able to counter unless they put a lot more money into their bid.

Bubble

Neo Member
I honestly can't get excited over Lukaku. Whenever I've seen Lukaku play against Man Utd, he has been such a non-presence.

I would love to be proven wrong about Lukaku, but going from Griezmann to Morata and then ending up with Lukaku... so much for my dreams.

Does Real want to keep Alvaro Morata, or do they actually want to sell him?

I'm a Crystal Palace fan so I'm not completely in the loop with how the big boys handle transfers like that, but from a distance, it seems weird to see Real Madrid ask the kind of money they seem to do for Morata.

tim.mbp

I'm a Crystal Palace fan so I'm not completely in the loop with how the big boys handle transfers like that, but from a distance, it seems weird to see Real Madrid ask the kind of money they seem to do for Morata.

Assume they are waiting on Mbappe first.

yella

I honestly think they don't want to sell. Why repurchase a player you don't intend to use? I hope they give him more starts this year than Benzema if he doesn't go to Chelsea this summer, and looking at how the saga with us unfolded, that looks pretty unlikely as well.

DBT85

I honestly can't get excited over Lukaku. Whenever I've seen Lukaku play against Man Utd, he has been such a non-presence.

I would love to be proven wrong about Lukaku, but going from Griezmann to Morata and then ending up with Lukaku... so much for my dreams.

He'd probably not who I'd have picked to be the big transfer in the PL this summer tbh, but his goal stats are excellent for his age and the teams he's been playing in, and hes been doing in the PL. Had Kane not scored 7 in his last 2 games for spurs Lukaku would have won golden boot too.

We'll have to see how he settles and what Mou does with him.

sammex

Rooney is a club legend at Man U, he has been easily worth the 30m that Man U paid for him. If they want to seal the Lukaku deal it makes sense to provide a sweetener, and it's not something Chelsea would be able to counter unless they put a lot more money into their bid.

It's a great deal for United - they're paying him £15.6m a year. Not only do they get to dump him on someone else saving themselves money, it also is helping them get one of the leagues top scorers.

This is a terrible deal for Everton. Rooney isn't going to replace the 26 goals Lukaku scored last season, he hasn't even reached 20 goals since 11/12. Yes they've got a big lump sum of money and that's probably why they've been making all these purchases but similar spending didn't help Liverpool or Spurs after Suarez and Bale left. There's a big chance this leaves them worse off in the league next year with a past it player with no sell on value sitting on huge wages.

cromofo

Jim White:

Breakdown - £75m cash, £15m add-ons, Rooney (£10m). £100m transfer.

Beefy, how much for VVD? :)

It's a great deal for United - they're paying him £15.6m a year. Not only do they get to dump him on someone else saving themselves money, it also is helping them get one of the leagues top scorers.

This is a terrible deal for Everton. Rooney isn't going to replace the 26 goals Lukaku scored last season, he hasn't even reached 20 goals since 11/12. Yes they've got a big lump sum of money and that's probably why they've been making all these purchases but similar spending didn't help Liverpool or Spurs after Suarez and Bale left. There's a big chance this leaves them worse off in the league next year with a past it player with no sell on value sitting on huge wages.

We're yet to spend the Lukaku money. A new CF is a priority.

Why on earth do Everton want Rooney back? There is a considerable proportion of their fans who have given him massive amounts of shit since he left. He is past it in terms of what Everton require, his wages alone would be better spent elsewhere.

Jarnet87

Why on earth do Everton want Rooney back? There is a considerable proportion of their fans who have given him massive amounts of shit since he left. He is past it in terms of what Everton require, his wages alone would be better spent elsewhere.

Either Koeman thinks he has something left in the tank or the owner/board want him back for a nostalgia trip. I wish Wayne luck at Everton. He has a chance to regain form and show he can still do it, but more than likely he becomes a fringe player who moves to the MLS in 2018 or retires. It's hard for me to imagine Everton willing to pay his wages (even if there is a pay cut or United are paying some of it) for a 2nd season if he useless.

TeddyBoy

Everton have some new owners and bringing Rooney in does help create an image that Everton is bringing in big talent.

Granted, everyone who knows football knows Lukaku to Rooney is a massive downgrade but it's a good headline.

Lukaku is going to be massive for United, at £75m he's a steal.

Pachimari

Ceballos has decided to join our team, and thus he is to take a medical on Monday. The transfer can become official very soon. It also seems he want to stay with Real Madrid and not be loaned out for a season. He will have to fight for a spot with Kroos, Modric and Kovacic.

Vallejo was also presented yesterday with the shirt #3. Llorente is also to be presented.

I would hope Morata stays but we have taken back Mayoral, so he probably want minutes elsewhere. And then see us bid for Mbappe.

DBT85

Beggars belief. Or they think that while he can't cut it for United, at Everton he might not look utter gash.

Just finally glad that Mou was able to phase him out after not too long (still too long) where Gaal couldn't because of his stupid rules about playing the Captain.

Question for me is now who do they make captain. Might be Carrick whos already vice anyway and then see who steps up in the next 12 months.

Everton have had a great summer but if they plan on Rooney being their first choice striker, please don't. I can see Rooney being "okay" this season but Everton was looking like they might really challenge for a Europa spot and this has cooled me on them a bit.

Beggars belief. Or they think that while he can't cut it for United, at Everton he might not look utter gash.

Just finally glad that Mou was able to phase him out after not too long (still too long) where Gaal couldn't because of his stupid rules about playing the Captain.

Question for me is now who do they make captain. Might be Carrick whos already vice anyway and then see who steps up in the next 12 months.

Herrera please.

While he might not be able to play as well as he used to be Rooney. His experience and tutoring could be very good for some of Everton's young players. Also people make fun of Rooney, but he's probably still to this day the most famous English player in the game right now.

DBT85

While he might not be able to play as well as he used to be Rooney. His experience and tutoring could be very good for some of Everton's young players. Also people make fun of Rooney, but he's probably still to this day the most famous English player in the game right now.

Yeah, his experience and tutoring should be of some use to a good academy of players. But that's a fuck ton of wages for that.

He's the most famous English player still playing, maybe ever but that might be Beckham because he got them looks to go with the fame.

As I've said before, huge respect for all he's done for United and all the goals for England, but he plays like a wardrobe and shouldn't still be at the club at this stage.

I know he started early, but I do have to wonder how things might have been different had he shown the same attention to his physical condition as Giggs or Zlatan or whatever. Nobody can expect to be like CR7, the man is mad.

Herrera please.

I can see it.

The likes of Tom Davies and Lookman, promising youngsters, could benefit long term from his arrival. The signing of Sandro Ramirez for them could be one of the best pieces of business for a while if he settles there. Saw him play for Malaga and was well impressed.

Captain Herrera easily.

Carrick or Valencia would be my top picks. I'd love to see Herrera get it though.

Everton need vibrancy though, bringing in a player that is full pace every game does a lot more to the players around them. The forward roles have never been the best positions to bring in ageing talent to bolster experience unless they are exceptional. They need a player similar to how Rooney was rather than what he is now. Somebody Davies can click with and has a lot of time to develop and create a new foundation or get them big money again. Would have made more sense to try and get Tammy Abraham in part of a deal by selling Lukaku to Chelsea instead.

Audioboxer

Dafuq? This guy can roll like a 180 PA in FM2017 and Porto always want like 50/60m. If he can live up to some of his talents this seems like easy cash for Wolves in 1 year.

It struck me, even more, when I remember Wolves are in the Championship...

As for some Rooney chat above, the only thing that would annoy me is the concept of having to pay some of a player's wages not at the club anymore. I always get offers like that rejected to fuck in FM. Yes, real life is not FM, but still. It's a concept I really don't like, but sure, Everton is not paying Rooney 250k a week.

Audioboxer

At least starting FM2017/2018 won't have the initial desperation of offloading Rooney ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Although to be fair on the guy, he's been one of our best players. Kind of sad in a way most fans (including me) are just thinking wages/you're now shite. He could've been a Giggs/Scholes/Carrick, but he's just not taken good enough care of himself and when he's playing shite, he's really shite. A somewhat of a reluctance to have readjusted himself into the 30s hasn't helped either. You can see a Carrick happy to be a rotational player, but Rooney obviously still wants constant starts and seemingly gets the huff with managers who do otherwise ~ Hence the "fear" for Moyes or LvG to drop him.

You're not worth the wages Rooney and I doubt you'd ever have dropped to the rumoured 150k at Man Utd, and been happy being rotational. Hope it works out at Everton for what is left of your career. I think I'm happier to see him stay in the EPL than go be a sellout like Tevez in China... although that'll probably come.

Sciel

I am actually a bit mystified as to why Everton would even want Rooney.

Any Man Utd fan that has actually watched a game in the past 2-3 seasons would tell you that he's past it. Even one week after the end of the season, he was struggling against retirees in the Michael Carrick testimonial.

Not complaining though since they're basically taking a few hundred pounds worth of wages off our hands.

I honestly think they don't want to sell. Why repurchase a player you don't intend to use? I hope they give him more starts this year than Benzema if he doesn't go to Chelsea this summer, and looking at how the saga with us unfolded, that looks pretty unlikely as well.

They had a cheap buyback clause for him (€30m) and after his performances for Juve, they probably felt that they had a player and could make a mean buck if it comes to reselling him.

DBT85

At least starting FM2017/2018 won't have the initial desperation of offloading Rooney ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Although to be fair on the guy, he's been one of our best players. Kind of sad in a way most fans (including me) are just thinking wages/you're now shite. He could've been a Giggs/Scholes/Carrick, but he's just not taken good enough care of himself and when he's playing shite, he's really shite. A somewhat of a reluctance to have readjusted himself into the 30s hasn't helped either. You can see a Carrick happy to be a rotational player, but Rooney obviously still wants constant starts and seemingly gets the huff with managers who do otherwise ~ Hence the "fear" for Moyes or LvG to drop him.

It is kind of sad, but its entirely on Rooneys shoulders for me. Nobody deserves a free ride just because they have achieved a lot, and what he has done for the club really has been huge. Had he been ok with taking a lower wage like Giggs, Scholes etc had done when their powers waned I think few would care half as much. £250k+ a week for what he's producing in the last 3 seasons just isn't a good deal, and finally even the pundits admit it though it really did take them forever to admit it.

Carrick still looks, well, like he can play football at the highest level, if only for half the season. Ibra could still be doing it, Giggs did it until he was 73.

Audioboxer

It is kind of sad, but its entirely on Rooneys shoulders for me. Nobody deserves a free ride just because they have achieved a lot, and what he has done for the club really has been huge. Had he been ok with taking a lower wage like Giggs, Scholes etc had done when their powers waned I think few would care half as much. £250k+ a week for what he's producing in the last 3 seasons just isn't a good deal, and finally even the pundits admit it though it really did take them forever to admit it.

Carrick still looks, well, like he can play football at the highest level, if only for half the season. Ibra could still be doing it, Giggs did it until he was 73.

Probably because Rooney has been the best talent of England in recent years. The guy has some great stats and when he was on top of his game was absolutely lethal and/or very creative. Hence why many thought he'd convert into a central midfielder when the legs started to go and turned into a Carrick with insane passing/vision.

He obviously still wants to play attacking, but in recent years this United squad has been starved of pace and Rooney was offering nothing there. At one point we had so many central/holding midfielders I don't even know if Rooney as a strict central mid would have got a game.

It really is a bit of a sad exit, but such are the situations at a club like United, especially if you want to keep taking club high wages and get constant 1st team football. Ibra really knocked Rooney off his last standing leg. A beast at 35 coming in and scoring as he did. Neither have the legs/pace, but unlike Rooney, Zlatan has never lost or dulled his finishing touch (although sure the stats show Zlatan missed a ton of chances too lol). In comparison to Rooney though, who was not only missing chances but not even being able to create them either. Zlatan always creates a chance for himself, he's just starting to dull a little, but for goodness sake, the guy can have some misses at 35.

Syder

Abdelhak Nouri collapses during pre-season friendly
Ajax midfielder Abdelhak Nouri collapsed and was taken to hospital by helicopter during a pre-season friendly against Werder Bremen.

The incident, which happened in the second half of the game in Austria, led to the match being abandoned.

Ajax later said the player was "stable" in hospital and being "kept asleep for optimal treatment".
This kid is insane on my Ajax save, hope he gets well soon.

Top Bottom