• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

DKehoe

Hope Rooney does well at Everton. Obviously he is past his prime but his natural talent meant that at times recently he would still pull out a great goal or assist when you didn't expect it.

DBT85

I think the feelings United fans have right now about Rooney will be the same that Arsenal fans have when Wenger goes.

Spend a good while waiting hoping for it to happen and then when it does, just huge respect for everything he's done.

Jimrpg

Everyone knows Rooney has declined, but I'm still going to get a kick out of watching him in a blue shirt. Imagine if he came a couple of years later, the timing is fine now. His footballing brain is still good.

And I forgive him for all the badge kissing in those earlier Man United years, kind of hated him for a while, but the lad went out and fulfilled his dreams all the while I bet Bill and Davey Moyes were telling him not to go. Respect.

Us signing Bednarak was just the standard old signing shit. Everyone else is weird ass shit, that Rudiger is now the worse one, besting Stoke
---------

Sigurdsson having a medical at Everton apparently..

I feel like Sigurdsson is at his prime or just over the hump? I thought he was outstanding a year or two ago.

I guess if he kicks on it'll be fine.

Everton are gonna a be interesting to see next season. They've thrown some weight around this window that's for sure. Chatter they're after Giroud as well!

The team has really changed since the Martinez days, just about everyone gone except for Baines. I wonder what the fit of the new guys will be like. I think it'll take a while before they gel, but there's the Europa Qualifying so hopefully they are ready to hit the ground running when the league starts.

Also kind of ridiculous that 7th place (league cup place) has to play two rounds of qualifying to get into the Europa League group stage, and possibly playing a champions league loser as well.

Jimrpg

He's only 27 and is coming off the back of his best season yet.

Cool thanks.

I wonder with Sigurdsson (and Rooney) where that leaves Barkley.

Should have sold him earilier on, because I think he's kind of flawed in a way, a bit like Rodwell.

faridmon

Cool thanks.

I wonder with Sigurdsson (and Rooney) where that leaves Barkley.

Should have sold him earilier on, because I think he's kind of flawed in a way, a bit like Rodwell.

Barkley never developed beyond ''the new kid in the block that can can play with the ball''. He is frustrating with the ball as he lost possession constantly, couldn't string passes together and just flat out be ineffective in many games.

Honestly, Rooney could do better than him in his position, but now with Davies, Sigurdson (hopefully), Kieran Dowell and Klasse, Attacking midfield seems to have a tasty competition

faridmon

19905290_10154801414826452_7801247795981559294_n.jpg

Smiles all around

and damn is Keane huge

Beefy

@SkyKaveh
Diego Costa fell out with Antonio Conte & Conte has had enough. Told "Costa is finished at Chelsea for sure". Sad way for CFC career to end

@SkyKaveh
Marseille want to sign Celtic striker Moussa Dembele. He's also an option for West Ham and Chelsea. Scored 32 times last season

@SkyKaveh
No Diego Costa at Chelsea today for start of pre-season training

Pachimari

Is nothing happening on the Spanish transfer market? I honestly only follow Real Madrid and partly Atletico and Barca. But there's only talk of English transfers in here.

acohrs

TBF the Irish Herald is a piece of trash, not even worth it for toilet paper.

Did remind me of this video where Stormzy admits the resemblance, definitely not what the Herald were going for though

link

tim.mbp

Is nothing happening on the Spanish transfer market? I honestly only follow Real Madrid and partly Atletico and Barca. But there's only talk of English transfers in here.

Betis has done some nice business, Sergio León, Víctor Camarasa, Cristian Tello and Andrés Guardado.

Well.

Costa is gone. Okay. We'll have to sell him to Atletico for pennies on the dollar. Not okay.

Now it looks like Bakayoko is being stalled.

What. A. Clusterfuck.

Tunoku

Arsenal twitter posting how they signed Sanchez three years ago and some tweets with highlights and goals. I'm not sure if that's a smart PR move unless they're 100% sure he'll stay...

Pachimari

I just want Ceballos to be announced already.

I can give two shits about Mbappe right now. I just want this Spanish midfielder. He would fit right in.

CMS8XbK.jpg

"Someone on /r/soccer made an algorithm that tracks the 3 most popular words associated with each team on there. Results are humorous."

Arsenal twitter posting how they signed Sanchez three years ago and some tweets with highlights and goals. I'm not sure if that's a smart PR move unless they're 100% sure he'll stay...

Its gone past the point of Wenger getting a good result on this unless Sanchez does sign a new contract. From the looks of it Sanchez has wanted to leave since last summer, then tried to push for a move in the winter window and one of the reasons he was on one all season. From all the reports from various sources it looks like Sanchez has been explicit that he wants to leave this window.

I have a feeling it will drag on to the end of the window and Arsenal wont have enough time to get a decent replacement as the board will want money rather than no money but will be too stubborn to just get it done. Whereas it would make more sense to sell up as quick as possible and bring in players with work horse attitudes to fill that gap and try bring in some creative midfield talent which they can build from long term, rather than try to keep a player that doesn't want to be there.

Icolin

Banned
Being reported all over Italy now, so fucked up

I mean, it's Italy, so I shouldn't be that surprised. Stupid shit like this is common place there in football, with Lazio and whatnot. Doesn't make it any less insane and fucked up though.

Top Bottom