• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

CMS8XbK.jpg

"Someone on /r/soccer made an algorithm that tracks the 3 most popular words associated with each team on there. Results are humorous."

The Stoke result checks out.

Beefy

Italian press: Manchester United have upped their bid for Perisic to €50m with €5m add-ons. €55m for Perisic is mad

Tunoku

These are sums are just absolutely mental across the board, I'm wondering when we'll reach a ceiling when it comes to year over year price increases in the market.

DBT85

These are sums are just absolutely mental across the board, I'm wondering when we'll reach a ceiling when it comes to year over year price increases in the market.

As soon as the TV money stops going up, that's the only thing driving it in the UK. Right now BT and Sky alone are paying what equates to £10m per live game and in 2 years those numbers will almost certainly go up again when the new deal happens. Those rights are only for UK broadcast remember. With the PL being as popular as it is, worldwide deals are going up too, though not nearly as fast.

Though there are also light musings in the industry that the PL might mix things up at weekends in a few years time by having 11AM, 1PM, 3pm, 5pm games and something similar for the sunday. With one or two games on the Friday or Monday as well. This would be better for them in foreign markets as they can lead in to other sports in the US etc.

That would mean that there would possibly only be 1 game a week that can't be shown live in the UK, the 3pm Saturday game.

Were that to happen (probably 5 years away) it would probably drop theprice per match, but there would be more matches being shown.

El Topo

Allegri really wants him,i know he hasn't had a great season but when we faced bayern 2 years ago i remember him being super good,he should be great upgrade to cuadrado.

Costa had a sensational start for us, then more and more fizzled away. I wouldn't really take last season as an indication of what he can do though, as a lot of our players were struggling.

Bersi

Nothing special for Juve in my opinion.
I mean,regarding Wingers,was there anything better on the market that we could have bought ? i don't think so.
Costa had a sensational start for us, then more and more fizzled away. I wouldn't really take last season as an indication of what he can do though, as a lot of our players were struggling.
yeah as i said: i was really impressed by Costa 2 years ago,so i'm pretty happy we got him.

spidye

Better not be the case if Bayern don't have a LW signed up and sealed. Otherwise, this is a huge fuck up on their part
Nah he's just a mercenary who started to stirr shit up at the most unfortunate time. The manager doesn't care for him anymore, the coach doesn't care for him anymore and the fans don't care for him.

He has potential but rarely shows it so why should we keep a cry baby?

But since gnabry will be loaned out we have to find a replacement for him

Costa lost a ton of goodwill at Bayern. The higher-ups seem to have lost all interest in him. As for a replacement, I thought Gnabry was the intended replacement?
Gnabry is lightyears behind Costa as of right now. Every winger Bayern has is noticeably better than him.
Nah he's just a mercenary who started to stirr shit up at the most unfortunate time. The manager doesn't care for him anymore, the coach doesn't care for him anymore and the fans don't care for him.

He has potential but rarely shows it so why should we keep a cry baby?

But since gnabry will be loaned out we have to find a replacement for him
Good will or no, you can't sell him unless you have someone of at least equal value as a replacement. Even below expectations, he was still pretty good last year. I'm fine with the current crop of youngins Bayern bought, they were smart/great transfers overall. For the LW position however, they better find someone with quality and experience to fit the mold.

DBT85

These are from the daily fail, but might be of interest if they are accurate.

Sky is shaking up its Sports channels, there will be a PL channel, a football channel (for everything else), golf, f1 etc etc.

Sky say the new 10-channel line-up will be available for the same subscription price of £27.50 per month and this will remain frozen for 12 months.

But if fans of a specific sport want to add individual channels to their Sky subscription, it will cost them £18 a month for one, £22 for two or £26 for three.

So for someone like me who only wants PL and F1, It would be £5.50 a month cheaper than it is currently.

casiopao

Douglas Costa to Juve seems done, Bernardeschi and Szczesny are also close.

Marotta is on fire
DGFSrLK.gif

I love that we are actually trying to get player Allegri asked this time rather than keep tying his hand lol.

But i dont really liked the Szczesny move here.Sure he is literally the second best keeper in Serie A in this last 2 season but I am afraid we will get another Van Der Saar fiasco hiks.

Mattia Perin or Alex Meret is much a better choice if u ask me.

Unless Marotta is focusing on short term and he will in coming future choose between those two to succeed Szczesny then i will said this a good move.

DBT85

United going after Bakayoko too now?
Just kill me. Someone at Chelsea should get fired if that happens.

Fuck. I'd love to buy him just to nark Chelsea after the amount of times it's been the other way around.

Jason Burt‏Verified account
@JBurtTelegraph

Monaco certainly growing increasingly impatient that Chelsea have not closed the deal to sign Tiemoue Bakayoko.

It's just me, but I don't think Lukaku is that great. He is a good poacher, but I don't feel like he can turn games around by himself. He almost reminds me of Mario Gomez, only that Lukaku has a lot more physical and likely more talented.

The only thing I feel like he has going for himself is that he's proven at Premier League level. That being said, I do this he will be well suited for Man United. I'm still surprised that Martial isn't being played at top however. I still think he is hands down the best player United have had since Ronaldo and the potential to reach those deadly levels.

On a side note, I still think Keita will happen. I don't know why most of Reddit are still expecting van Dijk to happen however. Hopefully they moved onto tempt Koulibaly instead.

Best wishes.

Syder

U guys EPL price is insane lol. Especially this Lukaku price. It makes Higuain looks like a bargain bruh.
Damn right.

If Swansea had been relegated they'd be lucky to get 25m but because of the amount of revenue clubs get now they can afford to list their players at massively inflated prices.

casiopao

Damn right.

If Swansea had been relegated they'd be lucky to get 25m but because of the amount of revenue clubs get now they can afford to list their players at massively inflated prices.

And in some case, the spending makes no sense. I had seen some craxy big flop spending there.(MU is famous with Di Maria there.) If u are buying some players without any consideration on the team structure and just hope that those player is going to do as good as he is in his last team, u are for rude shocked there.

DBT85

It's just me, but I don't think Lukaku is that great. He is a good poacher, but I don't feel like he can turn games around by himself. He almost reminds me of Mario Gomez, only that Lukaku has a lot more physical and likely more talented.

The only thing I feel like he has going for himself is that he's proven at Premier League level. That being said, I do this he will be well suited for Man United. I'm still surprised that Martial isn't being played at top however. I still think he is hands down the best player United have had since Ronaldo and the potential to reach those deadly levels.

Best wishes.

I've honestly not watched a lot of him, but his stats say he converts his chances, gets his goals and chips in with a few assists too, and in the league we need him to play in. United created plenty of chances last year, we missed LOADS. As I said at the end of the season, 1 goal scored in 5 of those 15 draws and suddenly we're 10 points better off and finishing 3rd. The draws were mostly infuriating because we'd had so many opportunities and wasted them.

The best 3 strikers in the league are Lukaku, Kane and Aguero and we got the only one we were ever going to be able to get.

I like Martial a lot and Rashford too. Both are probably too young still to lead the line but both should hopefully get more time to play. Consensus is still out on whether Martial is better up front or off the wing. For me he's best running at people.

It's not helped trying to shoehorn Zlatan & Rooney in to the team last year until Mou finally benched Rooney.

Plenty of pace in the attack with no Zlatan or Rooney now too.

Swansea want 50m for Sigurðsson?

It's a sellers market. If you don't want to let go, then you gouge for what you can get. Being constantly surprised at the ridiculous prices is going to get old fast, everyone can spend bonkers money right now.

And in some case, the spending makes no sense. I had seen some craxy big flop spending there.(MU is famous with Di Maria there.) If u are buying some players without any consideration on the team structure and just hope that those player is going to do as good as he is in his last team, u are for rude shocked there.

IIRC Di Maria basically cost us £10m for a years loan + wages. It's pocket change.

DBT85

Stormzy said he knew about Uniteds interest in him for a year to a year and a half. Around the time it seemed apparent Gaal was on his way out. Interesting.

spidye

Gnabry is lightyears behind Costa as of right now. Every winger Bayern has is noticeably better than him.

Good will or no, you can't sell him unless you have someone of at least equal value as a replacement. Even below expectations, he was still pretty good last year. I'm fine with the current crop of youngins Bayern bought, they were smart/great transfers overall. For the LW position however, they better find someone with quality and experience to fit the mold.

yeah I'm not so sure what Ancelotti or Rumenigge want to achieve this year.

I mean, we lost Costa, Alonso, Lahm, Badstuber and bought Tolisso, Süle, Rudy. not counting Gnabry since he will be loaned out and Coman was already a bayern player.
everybody saw that we struggled with our smaller squad last year since our wingers and centre backs were constantly injured.
this is a huge downgrade. at least on paper.

Apparently Everton want Benteke. If they sign him, it'll probably be our turn to never win a derby (until he retires).

Benteke is Palace only fit senior striker, and was signed only last year for a hefty sum. Not sure how Everton think that transfer will be solved.

Palace's willingness to sell would be dependent on them having realistic targets for two new strikers to bring in, I would assume.

faridmon

U guys EPL price is insane lol. Especially this Lukaku price. It makes Higuain looks like a bargain bruh.

You are using these two prices to set an agenda and its very annoying to read. Sounds like its ''PL are teh bets guys are at it again''

Swansea don't want to let Siggurdsson go. They said it alot of times, we are insistent on getting a creative midfielder and Sigurdson fits the bill, despite knowing that Swansea will not sell. That £50 is basically saying ''we don't want to sell, Fuck off, but if you are insistent then fucking pay the maximum amount'' I am surprised they didn't say £100M

Lukaku is based on Strikers experience in the league, is status as a striker as well as shortage of quality CF

Everyone knows that PL inflate their players up, but your example is not a one you should be using. Also, PL is a business, you should get used to the idea that everything is inflated just because 1) Supply and demand 2) TV money 3) PL experience is requiered 4) Homegrown, etc

Benteke is Palace only fit senior striker, and was signed only last year for a hefty sum. Not sure how Everton think that transfer will be solved.

Palace's willingness to sell would be dependent on them having realistic targets for two new strikers to bring in, I would assume.

To be fair, I think its a bizarre rumor. Illanacho and Giroud is available to bid on, yet we are after a striker whos his club don't want to let him go. Something doesn't add up.

RocknRola

Lets see how he does at Bayern. He started off great at RM, kinda lost his thunder with time. A good James can be a great addition to any team, including Bayern.

Top Bottom