• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

Excellent, new blood is great! Swear there's an over representation of Pool fans here so if we can get that sorted before the season starts that'll do nicely.

Spurs are playing a dangerous game but I can't see them as being anything but dangerous. Stadium problems nonwithstanding.

Heh thanks for the welcome! As long as Spuds don't accomplish anything this year, I'll be happy. Pool fans don't bother me all that much actually lol

Alexis - Laca - Ozil gona rack up 100 goal between them.

Nah i seriously think if we have they 3 up front clicking right from the start seasono and we somehow manage to sort out our defensive issues we always seem to have i think we have a good shot at taking it this year.

I have to dispute what you've written as a fellow Gooner:

1. Ozil can't score to save his life, I've no idea how you think we rack up 100 goals
2. Our midfield is a disaster. Ramsey/Xhaka is not the foundation for an EPL winning team, especially with mediocre back up in Coq and Elneny.
3. Our defence is still a shambles beyond Koscielny. Mustafi is a lunging maniac, Gabriel is bambi on ice, Holding is a kid!
4. Sanchez is not guaranteed to stay.
5. We have the most incompetent, inflexible and non-tactical manager of all the top 6. This is a man who just preaches fluffy nonsense like "values" and hasn't won a league for 13 years as the competition gets harder every season.

I'll qualify this by saying I've been a very pessimistic Arsenal fan since 2012, but Lacazette and Kolasinac are not the panacea to our annual league collapse to forge ahead for an EPL win.

does this look like a man that will provide 100 goals for your club

Screen-Shot-2017-07-28-at-06-57-58-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqQpA018b8Dx6klkOp6rDrmlRi9YrWy7qb3k_4m0RuP60.png

dog-ransom-285x245.jpg

Now he will!

I mean, that's great news but it still won't change a thing on match day.

FA Cup semi final. Arsenal vs Chelsea. 0-0 in the 88th minute. Diego Costa takes a dive, wins Chelsea a penalty and the game. Gets banned for the next two games.

Worth it? Worth it.

And surely now then, if a dive is deemed an offence worthy of a two game ban, referees will send a player off straight away if he sees them dive during the match?

I mean, that's great news but it still won't change a thing on match day.

FA Cup semi final. Arsenal vs Chelsea. 0-0 in the 88th minute. Diego Costa takes a dive, wins Chelsea a penalty and the game. Gets banned for the next two games.

Worth it? Worth it.

And surely now then, if a dive is deemed an offence worthy of a two game ban, referees will send a player off straight away if he sees them dive during the match?

I'm with you that any player will take a two game ban if it means winning a game in those circumstances.

Is the new video referee also going to be used to analyse diving incidents?

OléGunner;245088696 said:

1. Ozil can't score to save his life, I've no idea how you think we rack up 100 goals
2. Our midfield is a disaster. Ramsey/Xhaka is not the foundation for an EPL winning team, especially with mediocre back up in Coq and Elneny.
3. Our defence is still a shambles beyond Koscielny. Mustafi is a lunging maniac, Gabriel is bambi on ice, Holding is a kid!
5. We have the most incompetent, inflexible and non-tactical manager of all the top 6. This is a man who just preaches fluffy nonsense like "values" and hasn't won a league for 13 years as the competition gets harder every season.

I'll qualify this by saying I've been a very pessimistic Arsenal fan since 2012, but Lacazette and Kolasinac are not the panacea to our annual league collapse to forge ahead for an EPL win.
9dbe27f370e7e4680e0c535c225314a0.gif

Agree 100% with this.

The whole 100 goals between them was a joke hence why i said " Nah seriously"

Ahh fair enough! My point still remains as to the rest of what you laid out about us giving the EPL a shot.

I honestly just can't see it, we've finished less than double digits behind first place 2/13 passed seasons which is awful form.

9dbe27f370e7e4680e0c535c225314a0.gif

Agree 100% with this.

It's now on Wenger to prove himself to us.
I'm done with the years of blind faith. Going in with low expectations is easier for my heart lol

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
OléGunner;245088696 said:
Heh thanks for the welcome! As long as Spuds don't accomplish anything this year, I'll be happy. Pool fans don't bother me all that much actually lol

I like this guy

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The Keegan/Dalglish/Barnes/Rush/Souness/Benitez(etc etc) connection.

Hope you guys stay up as well.

I'm horribly biased as I love Rafa, but Newcastle will be the dark horse this year I reckon.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
OléGunner;245090622 said:
I'm done with the years of blind faith. Going in with low expectations is easier for my heart lol

Arsenal should at least expect to win the Europa League this year, I don't think that's unreasonable. Can be a nice boost to the season and, depending on the state of the league, the easiest way into the CL.

I suppose it depends on the draw though. Liverpool had to get past Man United, Dortmund, Villareal and Sevilla whereas as Man United only had to deal with Kidderminster Harriers, Harchester United, Total Network Solutions and a poor Ajax.

Markitron

Liverpool being linked with Renato Sanches today, I'd definitely take him on loan at least to add some depth

Makes too much sense, also we don't need any more players. Didn't you hear? Henderson and Sturridge combined are like 3 new signings, and since neither will ever be injured again we will be absolutely fine.

Beefy

Makes too much sense, also we don't need any more players. Didn't you hear? Henderson and Sturridge combined are like 3 new signings, and since neither will ever be injured again we will be absolutely fine.

That Lallana article made me laugh

ahoyle77

I'll try to be a part of this thread this year. Man City fan and just attended my first match in Nashville. Really think we are going to have a special year. Will be amazing if we get Sanchez, which from everything I read, the club is really confident about.

If not, just adding Walker/Mendy/Danillo at FBs is going to be a world of difference. If Kompany can stay healthy, think they will be the best I have seen.

I like this guy

I like your avi haha

Arsenal should at least expect to win the Europa League this year, I don't think that's unreasonable. Can be a nice boost to the season and, depending on the state of the league, the easiest way into the CL.

I suppose it depends on the draw though. Liverpool had to get past Man United, Dortmund, Villareal and Sevilla whereas as Man United only had to deal with Kidderminster Harriers, Harchester United, Total Network Solutions and a poor Ajax.

I'm expecting a decent Europa League campaign, not sure if we'll win it. Wenger should go hard for this trophy as a European cup is the only thing missing from his CV.

But I anticipate all the Europa league part time farmers to be licking their lips in anticipation of playing us, ready to kick our pampered players all over Eastern Europes pot hole decked pitches.

Oh and I think you forgot to mention FC Carrier Bag there lol
I'll try to be a part of this thread this year. Man City fan and just attended my first match in Nashville. Really think we are going to have a special year. Will be amazing if we get Sanchez, which from everything I read, the club is really confident about.

If not, just adding Walker/Mendy/Danillo at FBs is going to be a world of difference. If Kompany can stay healthy, think they will be the best I have seen.

I think you get Sanchez when he walks for free to City next summer.
You hear Man City are confident but on the other side of the coin I hear Arsenal are adamant he's going nowhere (we've seen previous failures though with this a la Cesc, Nasri, RvP).

If we sell to you now,our fan base will be mutinous and the club will lose what little credibility it has left.
Surely they are not that stupid... (Ha!)

Do feel you and Chelsea are favourites for the league though.

If Arsenal sell to you they've truly lost it (You mean Alexis right?)

Your season hinging on Kompany is never gonna stop being a thing is it 😅

Markitron

That Lallana article made me laugh

On-brand move from Lallana then.

It was like clockwork wasn't it?

The whole summer has been a disgrace. They used their own personal Mouth of Sauron, James Pearce, to talk up a 'record breaking summer' and 'smashing the transfer record multiple times'.They made a complete balls of the VVD situation and then spent a month haggling with Roma over chump change in the Salah deal. They then very publicly go after Keita, only to be used by RBL to increase their own profile.

Now the talk has begun of 'like new signings', 'no value in the market' and the next winter/summer windows without mention of back up targets for all these players. Meanwhile Chelsea, City and United have seriously strengthened with a minimum of fuss. It's the same every bloody year and I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with yet another negative net spend. Klopp isn't gonna put up with this for much longer.

I'm not one of these 'FSG out' fans but it's clear that they are completely incompetent in all aspects of the transfer market, and something needs to change.

Kyoufu

I'm horribly biased as I love Rafa, but Newcastle will be the dark horse this year I reckon.

More like a mule that can barely walk tbh. We have no transfer funds to improve the team.

Arsenal want £13 million for Lucas Perez but we can't even afford that lol :(

Markitron

I can only see that if Peresic goes. Inter owners are skint

35m buys them an old pair of his boots at best. In what world is this rumour feasible? He was bought for 34m and then had a blinder of a year, yet he was only valued at an extra 1m in this current market. Utterly ridiculous.

Markitron

It's a good 'un. Selling our player of the season for only a million quid more than we paid just a year ago.

If Sigi is worth 50m then Sadio is worth at least 70m + all of the Infinity Stones currently on Earth

More like a mule that can barely walk tbh. We have no transfer funds to improve the team.

Arsenal want £13 million for Lucas Perez but we can't even afford that lol :(

Is there a particular reason for this? Do Newcastle have a shitload of debt or something? If Huddersfield can spend some money I would have thought Newcastle could do the same.

Beefy

35m buys them an old pair of his boots at best. In what world is this rumour feasible? He was bought for 34m and then had a blinder of a year, yet he was only valued at an extra 1m in this current market. Utterly ridiculous.

But they would be wasting their time. 1. Liverpool won't sell especially at that price and 2. I don't think Mane would want to go to a league full of racist twat fans.

I meant the bid being a thing, not him going or it being accepted. Inter are fucked atm.

Markitron

I would not want to be the covering centre half during a Mane - Salah counter attack.

It was like clockwork wasn't it?

The whole summer has been a disgrace. They used their own personal Mouth of Sauron, James Pearce, to talk up a 'record breaking summer' and 'smashing the transfer record multiple times'.They made a complete balls of the VVD situation and then spent a month haggling with Roma over chump change in the Salah deal. They then very publicly go after Keita, only to be used by RBL to increase their own profile.

Now the talk has begun of 'like new signings', 'no value in the market' and the next winter/summer windows without mention of back up targets for all these players. Meanwhile Chelsea, City and United have seriously strengthened with a minimum of fuss. It's the same every bloody year and I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with yet another negative net spend. Klopp isn't gonna put up with this for much longer.

I'm not one of these 'FSG out' fans but it's clear that they are completely incompetent in all aspects of the transfer market, and something needs to change.
FSG deserves blame, especially for the VvD stuff (of which there is infinite blame to go around). And for this weird Barca imitation transfer strategy where you try to win the summer window and public opinion in April only to end up not signing any of them.

At some point though the bags of money apparently laying around should result in more signings than a youth, Robertson and Salah. Especially at positions of need. I tell myself we can't possibly have this level of hubris about our squad, but then I remember the last two transfer windows.

Markitron

I tell myself we can't possibly have this level of hubris about our squad, but then I remember the last two transfer windows.

They must be that delusional because absolutely nothing has changed in the last 2 years. I'm sick of them talking about value in the market, fuck value and pay for the players that will improve the squad. The Salah deal is a perfect example. It's plain for all to see how much we needed that type of player, and yet they still haggled for a what seems like an eternity. If anyone else had have been in for him we probably would have lost out exactly like we did the first time we tried to sign him.

Kyoufu

Is there a particular reason for this? Do Newcastle have a shitload of debt or something? If Huddersfield can spend some money I would have thought Newcastle could do the same.

Mike Ashley, I guess? I can't say for sure, but it's disheartening to see when we finally have a capable manager. My only hope right now is that we stay up and get our hands on the TV money for next summer and then build from there.

Markitron

Mike Ashley, I guess? I can't say for sure, but it's disheartening to see when we finally have a capable manager. My only hope right now is that we stay up and get our hands on the TV money for next summer and then build from there.

Keeping Rafa will be vital, but he has a history of walking away from clubs when upper management get in his way.

I hope Carra's wrong about us not chasing another midfielder after losing out on Keita. We'll need more depth when the inevitable injuries come.

Speaking of Keita, comparing Leipzig to the SS probably wasn't the best idea in the world.

He's probably right on the money here, have you heard of even one alternative mentioned? At this point they are going to wait for his release clause to come into effect next year, Liverpool were banking on RBL not wanting to to lose 20m+ on him, even though they clearly don't need the money.Trouble is if he has another season like the last, then I would expect Barca/Real/Bayern/City to want him as well.

Realistically the only chance we have of signing him is this year and it's not gonna happen. It's the same thing that happened with Dahoud.

Moobabe

FSG deserves blame, especially for the VvD stuff (of which there is infinite blame to go around). And for this weird Barca imitation transfer strategy where you try to win the summer window and public opinion in April only to end up not signing any of them.

At some point though the bags of money apparently laying around should result in more signings than a youth, Robertson and Salah. Especially at positions of need. I tell myself we can't possibly have this level of hubris about our squad, but then I remember the last two transfer windows.

I agree with who you quoted, but we (Chelsea) haven't had a great window so far.

Morata has only had about 4 days of pre season training with us because the deal was so late, Bakayoko is going to miss the start of the season and we've let Matic, Chalobah and RLC go in that position, leaving us just Fabregas, Kante and Lewis Baker (21) in that role.

Rudiger feels superfluous when we could have kept Ake. We don't have cover for Alonso, no cover for Moses (because we won't play Tomori). Hazard is out, Pedro got a bad knock, he's still not convinced to Bats and, by all accounts, he wants ANOTHER 4 players to come in...

Lashley

Hehe, you won't.

I really can't see us selling to a rival, again

Lashley

If Sigi is worth 50m then Sadio is worth at least 70m + all of the Infinity Stones currently on Earth

Fat Ashley is a greedy gussum

Markitron

Fat Ashley is a greedy gussum

I know Ashley is unpopular, though I was never sure exactly why other than his general shadiness. The only specific thing I recall is when he was trying to rename SJP to the Sports Direct Arena or something to that effect.

Lashley

I know Ashley is unpopular, though I was never sure exactly why other than his general shadiness. The only specific thing I recall is when he was trying to rename SJP to the Sports Direct Arena or something to that effect.

That's pretty much all you need, St James' is a landmark here in Newcastle and that wanker tried to change the name for profit, the mug

Markitron

Hehe, you won't.

I really can't see us selling to a rival, again

I actually had this conversation with a friend the other day. Whatever Sanchez is worth with a year left, let's say 40m for arguments sake, I think it would make more sense to keep him than sell to a rival. Arsenal aren't broke and in need of the money, and it would essentially weaken a direct rival. Also as a free agent he is just as likely to go to Spain or Germany next year.

If it was Coutinho in this position I would want the exact same thing. Although that might be a bad example as I wouldn't trust Liverpool to spend what we get for him. Afterall we are talking about a club that sold Suarez and bought Markovich, Balotelli and Lambert.

ahoyle77

If Arsenal sell to you they've truly lost it (You mean Alexis right?)

Your season hinging on Kompany is never gonna stop being a thing is it 😅

I don't think the season hinges on Kompany. But a healthy Kompany makes a huge difference. Best CB in league if healthy. However, I think the other CBs will look tons better with Mendy and Walker beside them this year.

Top Bottom