• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

Phil, Daley...

Mamadou-Sakho-filming-Jurgen-Klopp.jpg

I'm obviously kidding. Fuck UEFA really.

That second game clearly showed they are not ready to win the CL. And definetely not with this coach. IMHO :)

The 6-1 game was certainly down to Emery. They parked the bus without Pastore or Di Maria so they had no transition, Lucas was shit though but this was the outlet and he couldn't do it. When Di Maria was brought on they switched tactics and this is when Neymar continually tore them to pieces when they had actually been doing ok just lacked anything on the counter. Neymar was the main difference in that game. Also Rabiot shouldn't have been playing due to recovering from a lung infection and failed to pick up any player all game but is usually excellent.

The ref totally fucked PSG a few times during the game. Mascherano should have been off and PSG should have been given two clear penalties, one early on for a handball by Mascherano and then one after Di Maria was clear on goal and Mascherano went through the back of him, which he admitted.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Newcastle interested in Lucas Perez, would be a fantastic signing for them. Not sure why Wenger even bought the poor bloke, totally wasted at us. Showed glimpses of quality in the 40 overall minutes he got to play for us.

Lashley

25th July: "It worries me a little bit, because now we speak about £30m, £40m or £50m in such an easy way.”

31st July: Buys Matic for £40m

giphy.gif

Also, wtf is this?

LW? Fuck off EA

You still want Lukaku? ;)

Only if he doesn't have those disgusting United drugs in his body!

25th July: "It worries me a little bit, because now we speak about £30m, £40m or £50m in such an easy way.”

31st July: Buys Matic for £40m

https://media3.giphy.com/media/sTvvSv66AvDsk/giphy.gif[IMG]

Also, wtf is this?

LW? Fuck off EA[/QUOTE]

Why does EA always have to fuck shit like this up.

Lashley

Because apparently their coders or whomever don't actually watch football, or can't at the very least google the player

barber

The Neymar thing is probably the weirdest thing as it happened quite fast for a signing of THAT amount of money and I actually thought he would just stay in Barça for two years or so when he would be playing in Messi's position.
Also, the amount of money that his father has been making out of Barça is disgusting and super funny. Hope he paid taxes for it!
probably not in Spain though :(
But I really have a hard time understanding moving to PSG when he would be soon the star of Barça, but oh well.
Money, it is money
In other news, Sept. 10 is our derbi after more than 10 years without it! :D
Edit: Now i guess i should be glad Real Madrid didn't sign him, as he would leave any team for money.

Tubie

I refuse to believe the Neymar news, shit is way too crazy.

Leaving like that after all the shit Barcelona had to take for all the unusual shit they had to do to make that transfer happen in the first place.. lol.

RocknRola

The Neymar deal happening will forever break the market. I've said it before and I'll say it again.

This + the possible Mbappe deal. Market breakers. There will be no going back from this.

barber

The Neymar deal happening will forever break the market. I've said it before and I'll say it again.

This + the possible Mbappe deal. Market breakers. There will be no going back from this.

I mean if the "buy himself" with money paid for "advertisement" by a third company (or heck, same fucking owner!!) is true and doesn't get punished, we might as well just eliminate the fair play clause cause it won't work at all.
And the Mbappe thing... so much money for a still young player that can go wrong, uggg. The worst is that the marketing part will offset a big part of the money in the first month (we will probably see record breaking numbers of shirts for both of them). Still it really shocks you when you consider the prices for football players not so long ago

RocknRola

I mean if the "buy himself" with money paid for "advertisement" by a third company (or heck, same fucking owner!!) is true and doesn't get punished, we might as well just eliminate the fair play clause cause it won't work at all.
And the Mbappe thing... so much money for a still young player that can go wrong, uggg. The worst is that the marketing part will offset a big part of the money in the first month (we will probably see record breaking numbers of shirts for both of them). Still it really shocks you when you consider the prices for football players not so long ago

Yup, basically completely circumventing any rules that were in place exactly to avoid absurd sums like these.

I mean, even for a top club like Barça, how many seasons does 222M€ pay for in terms of salaries (especially if a guy like Neymar is off the pay sheet)? It's a ridiculous amount of money to pay and to receive for any club in the world, right now.

Ah well... football gonna football I suppose. I fear that the already very expensive market for mostly any slightly above average player will explode even more after this deal... This Summer Market is already crazy without these deals.

Beefy

you can't force someone to work for you. At the end of the day it's just a job with a contract.

I meant as in all their contracts have clauses. It's not about stopping players leaving, it's about stopping players leaving for cheap. Some of the buy out clauses aren't that much.

sammex

Yeah the buy yourself out thing is a massive mockery of FFP which has already been watered down so it's barely effective. Gonna be bad for everyone if it happens. Also agree that Mbappe is still a really big risk at this point.

edit - beaten by GoldenCrow!

Not sure how they're going to recover much through marketing. The shirt sales recouping any of the transfer cost thing is a myth:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2016/aug/24/transfer-window-market-myths

No club has ever directly recouped a player's transfer fee through shirt sales. Adidas, Nike, Puma and other kit suppliers get 85-90% of shirt sale revenue and this is the industry standard.

While there are some exceptions – a club such as Bayern Munich, which is part-owned by Adidas, may be given a slightly more favourable revenue share, and generally, once a certain (very large) number of shirts are sold, the revenue split on additional sales will skew more favourably to the club – these are the exceptions to the general rule.

As an example, Manchester United have a 10-year kit deal with Adidas worth £750m. This is one of the largest kit deals in football and easily the largest in the Premier League. However, the primary reason Adidas is paying Manchester United £75m per year is not simply to have a tiny logo emblazoned on United's kit and use the club for marketing purposes. Of course, being associated with one of the few truly global clubs in football helps them capture market share in emerging markets and further solidify its presence in existing markets. But for the supplier, kit deals are licensing deals, and that's where the real value lies to Adidas.

Football clubs are, by nature, football clubs. They're meant to do football things. They don't have the infrastructure required to manufacture and distribute millions of kits. Many can't even handle running online shops, the logistics of which they outsource to third parties.

For any cynical readers who may not be so inclined to take our word for it – after all, it is a popular myth – just look at how United and Adidas announced the deal in July 2014, where the partnership is described, quite clearly, as a licensing package. In fact, Adidas CEO Herbert Hainer triumphed the deal as a ”collaboration [that] marks a milestone for us when it comes to merchandising potential. We expect total sales to reach £1.5bn during the duration of our partnership."

Despite the nonsense you may have heard about Zlatan Ibrahimovic shirt sales generating £50m for Manchester United, which would far exceed his wages, it's simply not true. In fact, United don't even automatically receive the 10-15% industry-standard royalty payment, no doubt because the up-front £75m annual payment is so large. United's royalty payment only kicks in once a certain number of shirts are sold.

Just under three million Manchester United shirts were sold last season. As a case in point, let's assume that Ibrahimovic helps sell an additional 300,000 shirts. A 10% increase is a very optimistic projection, especially considering Ibrahimovic is a Nike athlete and won't be engaging in any Adidas promotional activities on his own. His image rights deal with United will almost certainly allow the club to feature him in Adidas promotional activities, as long as he appears with at least two other United players and the activity does not imply that Ibrahimovic is giving a personal endorsement to Adidas.

Additionally, while many United fans may choose to buy an Ibrahmovic shirt, over, say, a Chris Smalling shirt, a lot of those fans were already going to buy a shirt in the first place.

Let's also assume that United's royalty kicks in after three million shirts are sold, and the club receive a 15% royalty on each subsequent shirt sold. Assuming a price of £70 per shirt, that's an additional £21m in gross sales from 300,000 shirts. Manchester United's cut of that would be just over £3m. Now, £3m is not an insignificant amount, but it offsets less than 20% of what Ibrahimovic will likely cost the club this season (wages, agent fee, signing bonus, image rights deal).

So, at best, United are likely to see around £3m in additional revenue. While certainly not a paltry sum, it doesn't come close to covering his costs, let alone help United earn an additional £50m. Put simply, there's a reason why Adidas has earned more in the last six months than Manchester United, one of the highest-earning football clubs in the world, has earned in its 138-year existence

Double edit - Southampton are weighing up a £12million move for Lazio centre back Wesley Hoedt as they prepare for Virgil van Dijk's departure. Simon Jones

Think that's credible? As well as or instead of Wimmer?

Beefy

Double edit - Southampton are weighing up a £12million move for Lazio centre back Wesley Hoedt as they prepare for Virgil van Dijk's departure. Simon Jones

Think that's credible? As well as or instead of Wimmer?

Hoedt/ Wimmer would replace Fonte who we haven't replaced yet. Also weird Aldridge chats some shit and the papers all say Liverpool are pressing forward with a move (with no real info).

I would wait until Jeremy Wilson says something for Van Dijk news

DBT85

The doping officials are always jobsworths I think More testing should be done anyway, but waiting 10 minutes isn't exactly going to get the drugs out of his system is it.

Glad Matic is done, should free up Pogba a bit. Think the fee is £35m raising to £40m so not as painful as the £50m initially reported, not that its my money.

Pool bros, I hope for your sake Couts stays. Hell, even for the league it's better if he stays. But I can't say I'll be unhappy if one of the better players in the league that plays for a rival team suddenly isn't there.

sammex

Not saying it defo won't happen but all the LFC ITKs are pretty chill on Coutinho going this summer for the moment at least.

Hoedt/ Wimmer would replace Fonte who we haven't replaced yet. Also weird Aldridge chats some shit and the papers all say Liverpool are pressing forward with a move (with no real info).

I would wait until Jeremy Wilson says something for Van Dijk news

Could it be you're in for both?

Aldo is a dick. Searches his own name on twitter and blocks people who disagree with all the bollocks he spouts. (yeah he blocked me when I didn't even @ him) He wanted Rafa sacked back in 2010 cos he didn't like rotation and zonal marking (now commonplace) and we've struggled ever since bar the one year Suarez almost won us the title.

Beefy

Not saying it defo won't happen but all the LFC ITKs are pretty chill on Coutinho going this summer for the moment at least.

Could it be you're in for both?

Aldo is a dick. Searches his own name on twitter and blocks people who disagree with all the bollocks he spouts. (yeah he blocked me when I didn't even @ him) He wanted Rafa sacked back in 2010 cos he didn't like rotation and zonal marking (now commonplace) and we've struggled ever since bar the one year Suarez almost won us the title.

Have no idea if it would be both. Guess we will see tomorrow if Van Dijk has chilled or not.

barber

Huh, didn't know that the shirt thing was a myth, the more you know ^^
Still funny that all the talk about CR leaving Real after the whole taxes stuff and it ended up being Neymar the one leaving. I think history won't be good for Neymar and will be called a lot of bad things (cause fucking seriously). I even hope that if he does that, he gets a really big sanction for taking part in a totally illegal scheme to leave a club.

Pachimari

Cristiano Ronaldo denies any wrongdoings in tax case.
Various media outlets reported that Ronaldo was visibly uncomfortable during his appearance in court and they quoted this exchange of words between the judge and Ronaldo:
Ronaldo: ”If I wasn't called Cristiano Ronaldo I wouldn't be sat here."
Judge Gómez Ferrer: ”You are mistaken. Plenty of anonymous people have sat where you are. You are under investigation for an alleged financial crime based on the evidence provided by the public prosecutor and upon which it is my duty to make a ruling."
Ronaldo: ”No, no. All of this is happening because I am Cristiano Ronaldo."

The question now I guess is who do Barca buy in response? Coutinho, Hazard, and Dele Alli have been rumored targets, they could really go after anyone. These last couple weeks could be insane.

DBT85

With the safe standing areas, does it mean you can now pack in 2 people where there was 1 seat or is it still going to be the same numbers of people?

Top Bottom