• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

sammex

With the safe standing areas, does it mean you can now pack in 2 people where there was 1 seat or is it still going to be the same numbers of people?

Same numbers. You get a seat number and you stand in front of it. Seats would fold down for European matches if the PL introduced it. At Celtic Park it's 1:1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNKDIwvcdtg

Audi Cup starts tomorrow:

LFC vs Bayern Munich.

Atletico vs Napoli.

Final on Wednesday.

DBT85

Same numbers. You get a seat number and you stand in front of it. Seats would fold down for European matches if the PL introduced it. At Celtic Park it's 1:1.

LFC vs Bayern Munich.

Atletico vs Napoli.

Final on Wednesday.

So not sure what the benefit is fi its just 1:1, don't a lot of fans in the ends stand all game anyway, especially the noisy buggers? In that video at Celtic you'd easily get 2 people in that huge ass space and there's a nice fat rail to stop it going nutty.

Half the prices, double the numbers and I'm sure at atmosphere would be great in those standing sections.

The few occasions I've been behind the goal it seemed like we never sat down. Even at Wembley for playoff finals the only time we sat down was at half time lol.

King_Moc

Banned
So not sure what the benefit is fi its just 1:1, don't a lot of fans in the ends stand all game anyway, especially the noisy buggers? In that video at Celtic you'd easily get 2 people in that huge ass space and there's a nice fat rail to stop it going nutty.

Half the prices, double the numbers and I'm sure at atmosphere would be great in those standing sections.

The few occasions I've been behind the goal it seemed like we never sat down. Even at Wembley for playoff finals the only time we sat down was at half time lol.

It's safer, I guess. You cam easily fall forwards, and with safe standing there'll be a railing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNKDIwvcdtg

LFC vs Bayern Munich.

Atletico vs Napoli.

Final on Wednesday.

Hate how Bayern has to play 3 games in 5 days(if they go on to the final in the Audi cup). With the DFL-Supercup being Saturday against Dortmund 😑

sammex

So not sure what the benefit is, don't a lot of fans in the ends stand all game anyway? In that video at Celtic you'd easily get 2 people in that huge ass space and there's a nice fat rail to stop it going nutty.

Yeah people stand almost entirely at aways and then you're up and down in most places, depending how much the stewards are making you sit.

The advantages this has is it stops surges during goals etc and stops people getting hurt falling over the seat back at shin level. Also it helps the atmosphere at 1:1 - Celtic Park has only 3000 or so standing but it's all filled with likeminded fans who want to sing the entire match and it's easier to sing if youre standing - (choirs and the like usually stand).

First step get them made legal and shown to be safe. Second step reduce prices and boost attendances.

Celtic Park is 1:1

celtic-v-vfl-wolfsburg-pre-season-friendly-celtic-park-752x501.jpg

Some clubs in Germany are 2:1

1280px-Safe_standing_area_fitted_with_rail_seats.jpg

There are a lot of fans that go ape shit at you if you stand up for any lengthy period during a game. Its why I stopped going to games unless I have hospitality. I will start going to games regularly again if they bring standing back but how could they fit more in? Its already shoulder to shoulder with seating.

I will go to a game to check it out if its seating only behind the goal but you'd normally need to pay me to watch a game from there.

DBT85

how could they fit more in? Its already shoulder to shoulder with seating.

Check out the bbc video of the Celtic stands. With the seats folded up there is a fairly large gap between the rail in front and the rail behind, enough for even 2 Newcastle fans to stand.

Code:

sammex

My cynical (and rather simplified) take on things:

Money gained from tickets is becoming less important for clubs in terms of matchday revenue when compared to the money from tv deals.

Sure, Spurs and Chelsea are building new stadia but they won't make massive amounts from their attendance boosts - they'll get more money from increased corporate hospitality facilities and boxes like Arsenal and LFC's new main stand. Also increased food and drink/club shop selling oppertunities. Or hosting NFL teams if you're Spurs.

What's the incentive for clubs to spend money converting seats to safe standing areas if they get the same ticket value? (Be that 1:1 at same price or 2:1 half price)

It's going to end up having support like Celtic's. It's all part of adding value to your club as a brand in the global market, seeing how great their fans are on tv will make others want to support them - their global fanbase increases. Same for selling the matchday experience to tourists at marked up prices by Thomas Cook. Come be a part of the great atmosphere we've got. Having a reputation for your fans eating prawn sandwiches doesn't sell the matchday experience.

Local fans don't spend money on food and drink, a stadium tour, programmes, scarves, a shirt and other stuff each time they go the game. Tourists do. But if you kill the atmosphere then tourists won't want to come and stand on the famous Kop or whatever.

It's not all bleak for local fans though - clubs will wise up to this if they haven't already. Soon they'll start to realise that local fanbase is important for the atmosphere and we'll see more cheap tickets for locals, and eventually/hopefully standing areas where those that want to make noise can organise together to make a real impact instead of little scattered pockets around the ground.

LFC are considering redoing the Anfield Road stand similarly to how they've done the main stand, adding about 8000 seats and taking attendance to 60k -ish. It'll cost about £100mill but it's more difficult to sell coporate boxes behind the goal. You bet they'll be considering doing it even though it won't make them much money and take 5+ years to pay off because it will improve the atmosphere at Anfield and therefore improve the image of LFC.

Beefy

Apparently Van Dijk will be training tomorrow.

We have bid for Hoedt. So if Hoedt comes and Van Dijk stays it will be:

Van Dijk
Hoedt
Yoshida
Stephens
---------------
Then:

Bednarak
Jones

As our U23s cbs

Means we can get rid of the waste that is Gardos

DBT85

Eh, the competition is strong with only Spurs not spending money. Not expecting Jose to continue his streak, even if I think we were not as bad last year as some like to think.

Chelsea and Pool having to play CL will help United, Arsenal, Spurs and City.

25th July: "It worries me a little bit, because now we speak about £30m, £40m or £50m in such an easy way."

31st July: Buys Matic for £40m

giphy.gif

Mourinho is a funny cunt. He has this bizarre concept only he should be able to spend money. Especially if it's from Jorge Mendes (Lindelof wink wink)

acohrs

Can't hate or disrespect Mou, no matter how much he deserves it sometimes. Going to Stamford Bridge with my dad nearly every weekend in the 00s was a magical experience, he is one of the main reasons why.

oilvomer

The odds on City winning the league are stupid.... a fool and his money, it would seem the bookies are going with 'who has spent the most money'

infact the only value here is Tottenham, Liverpool and Arsenal, I would argue Tottenham at 9/1 is solid if they had pushed on, but it looks like Levy is doing a Wenger and putting stadium first as long as they keep qualifying for the CL I suspect

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Yeah people stand almost entirely at aways and then you're up and down in most places, depending how much the stewards are making you sit.

The advantages this has is it stops surges during goals etc and stops people getting hurt falling over the seat back at shin level. Also it helps the atmosphere at 1:1 - Celtic Park has only 3000 or so standing but it's all filled with likeminded fans who want to sing the entire match and it's easier to sing if youre standing - (choirs and the like usually stand).

First step get them made legal and shown to be safe. Second step reduce prices and boost attendances.

Celtic Park is 1:1

Some clubs in Germany are 2:1

Fat chance any of this will reduce prices, nothing's reducing ticket prices these days.

If I had to, I'd put money on United to take the league, but last year I thought it would be Liverpool.

Moobabe

Can't hate or disrespect Mou, no matter how much he deserves it sometimes. Going to Stamford Bridge with my dad nearly every weekend in the 00s was a magical experience, he is one of the main reasons why.

Yeah, true. I might have disagreed with some of his decisions in the transfer market (usually sales, rather than purchases), but what he did for the club was phenomenal.

The odds on City winning the league are stupid.... a fool and his money, it would seem the bookies are going with 'who has spent the most money'

infact the only value here is Tottenham, Liverpool and Arsenal, I would argue Tottenham at 9/1 is solid if they had pushed on, but it looks like Levy is doing a Wenger and putting stadium first as long as they keep qualifying for the CL I suspect

The odds aren't because they have spent the most it is because they have had a very strong pre-season and look like they have fixed their biggest weaknesses. Overall they look the team most ready to kick off the season at this point and the potential to be dangerous even when the keeper has the ball.

Looking at the overall pre-season development, incomings and outgoing the odds look about right.

TimmmV

Odds are impacted somewhat by money spent - loads of people predicted United to win the league last season after signing Pogba and Ibrahimovic and they ended up finishing 6th, so clearly were off a fair bit (and i seem to remember United being favourites last year but am not certain)

City do still have the best squad in the league though. On paper they should be winning the league, but then that was also true for both of the last two seasons and they underperformed, so basically it comes down to whether people think Pep can get the best out of his players

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Plus we all really know Huddersfield are winning the league anyway, this is more of a discussion of who's getting 2nd.

acohrs

Yeah, true. I might have disagreed with some of his decisions in the transfer market (usually sales, rather than purchases), but what he did for the club was phenomenal.

but Tiago! (still have a shirt from 04-05 with his name on it haha)

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Cross post from the Neymar thread:

Hey we did buy Suarez at the same time as Carroll.... god that list is depressing.

That is true, and it does help mitigate it somewhat, but Carroll was Torres' direct replacement as they were essentially part of the same deal. Liverpool wanted 15m + Carrol for Torres.

What I find really depressing is when Suarez said a while later that he thought he was going to play alongside Torres.

Or, or, or Liverpool coming in with the steal from PSG :p

Well we have spent all summer chasing targets we have no chance of getting, what's one more to the list? Why stop there though, lets get really ambitious and put in a bid for the entire Escape to Victory starting 11. I'll bet Sly can still give Mignolet a fair bit of competition.

If I had to bet money, I'd put money on Utd winning the league.

I'm not a gambling man, but this is where I would put my money too.

T-Rex.

Banned
My money's on City. Guardiola's pretty much already figured out how to beat the weaker teams in the league and now that the defence is no longer a retirement home I can see them doing quite well this season.

Just as long as Chelsea or Man Utd doesn't win it tbh. Arsenal wouldn't be fun because no AFTV meltdowns, Spurs winning it before us would be a kick in the dick. So if we can't win it, I guess I would be fine with Pep and Man City.

Odds are impacted somewhat by money spent - loads of people predicted United to win the league last season after signing Pogba and Ibrahimovic and they ended up finishing 6th, so clearly were off a fair bit (and i seem to remember United being favourites last year but am not certain)

Money spent really doesn't mean anything, it was who they signed rather than how much they paid. United had an excellent pre-season last year, they had a new manager, a football legend, a hype signing, a few lesser known but solid players, and showed attacking potential they lacked before. There was nothing to suggest they would have a poor season. Very similar again this pre-season. Though I don't think it is as good as some think which was my position last year as well, they haven't really brought a whole lot to the team to build on what they did last year (so far). Matic is a perfect signing though. They are still a long way off a quality Mourinho team but the system is starting to bed in and is hard to beat which means by default they will be in the mix for the top four. The only reason I wouldn't put money on United for anything more is Mourinho, he hasn't hit full bullshit mode and that is a bigger indication of where the club is at.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Just as long as Chelsea or Man Utd doesn't win it tbh. Arsenal wouldn't be fun because no AFTV meltdowns, Spurs winning it before us would be a kick in the dick. So if we can't win it, I guess I would be fine with Pep and Man City.

I'd get a certain amount of amusement if Pep stayed at City for 3 years without a major trophy after spending all that money. I certainly don't think he's a fraud, but would be curious to see how he does with a less competitive team and limited access to funds.

sammex

Fat chance any of this will reduce prices, nothing's reducing ticket prices these days.

If I had to, I'd put money on United to take the league, but last year I thought it would be Liverpool.

Like I mentioned above, clubs are waking up to pricing the loudest (normally youngest) fans out of the game. The PL has agreed to cap away tickets at £30 for the next 3 seasons because they recognise that away fans are normally the most vocal and contribute massively to the atmosphere in the stadium. LFC have given locals with a Liverpool postcode access to 20,000 tickets across the season some as cheap as £9 depending on the game, created a cheaper price bracket for 17-21yos, and 1000 free tickets to schools.

If they can increase capacity with safe standing (greater than 1:1) then there's the possibility you'll see a reduced price in the tickets to attract the type of fans that will make noise. (At 1:1 it's likely the prices will remain the same.) A few hundred thousand lost in ticket prices will be nothing compared to money from tv deals so there's more of an incentive to try and make your support the best it can be.

Edit: No one seems to fancy Spurs? If they weren't moving to Wembley I'd have put my money on them. Kane and Alli combined with that defence are league winning quality. Each year they've improved under Pochettino and I think they'll go close again.

Double Edit: Pretty accurate representation of Liverpool fans right now

Triple Edit: VVD not in training with the rest of the Southampton players... :eek:

Edit: No one seems to fancy Spurs? If they weren't moving to Wembley I'd have put my money on them. Kane and Alli combined with that defence are league winning quality. Each year they've improved under Pochettino and I think they'll go close again.

If they had done pre-season at Wembley I'd have put money on them. I think they have one of the most well rounded teams in the league and only missed out due to individual defensive errors (worse than Liverpool in that regard) and that was with CL football and a lack of depth. I only see the team getting better the more they play together.

Markitron

Every team around them has strengthened to some extent, and they haven't bought any players yet. They remind me of the Liverpool squads of 2009 and 2014; Awesome starting 11 but no squad depth.

I always find it amusing that in the title challenge of 2009 Liverpool had Torres up front, arguably the best striker in the world at the time, and his back up was Ryan Babel and David Ngog.

Someone slipped a football thread into Off Topic and its not been nuked.

recuit recruit recruit

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1413813

Well you got me recruited mate :p
I thought that football OT's were banned during last season for good so never bothered to check.

Anyway, ready for another thoroughly depressing season as a Gooner :(

Every team around them has strengthened to some extent, and they haven't bought any players yet. They remind me of the Liverpool squads of 2009 and 2014; Awesome starting 11 but no squad depth.

I can't believe Spuds aren't bothering to strengthen.
Is it really the 800m stadium cost that's hampering their financial ability or are they going with the old Wenger "squad cohesion" spoof?

In any case, I think they might struggle playing at Wembley, pitch is massive for their style of play.

OléGunner;245085906 said:
Well you got me recruited mate :p
I thought that football OT's were banned during last season for good so never bothered to check.

Anyway, ready for another thoroughly depressing season as a Gooner :(

I can't believe Spuds aren't bothering to strengthen.
Is it really the 800m stadium cost that's hampering their financial ability or are they going with the old Wenger "squad cohesion" spoof?

In any case, I think they might struggle playing at Wembley, pitch is massive for their style of play.

Excellent, new blood is great! Swear there's an over representation of Pool fans here so if we can get that sorted before the season starts that'll do nicely.

Spurs are playing a dangerous game but I can't see them as being anything but dangerous. Stadium problems nonwithstanding.

Godan

Alexis - Laca - Ozil gona rack up 100 goal between them.

Nah i seriously think if we have they 3 up front clicking right from the start seasono and we somehow manage to sort out our defensive issues we always seem to have i think we have a good shot at taking it this year.

Busty

Banned
Alexis - Laca - Ozil gona rack up 100 goal between them.

Nah i seriously think if we have they 3 up front clicking right from the start seasono and we somehow manage to sort out our defensive issues we always seem to have i think we have a good shot at taking it this year.

At this point I'd be genuinely surprised if Sanchez is still at Arsenal when the transfer window closes.

Top Bottom