• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The F1 thread lives in OffTopic - why can't we?

I didn't know this thread existed until today, I'm surprised there isn't an OT for the premier league in off-topic tbh

cromofo

I've seen posts mentioning something happening in the past to the Football community here, anyone care to explain? If it's allowed ofc

Beefy

I've seen posts mentioning something happening in the past to the Football community here, anyone care to explain? If it's allowed ofc

Happened before I joined. But I heard loads of people got banned because they took footy way to seriously, why hardly any one posted in this thread. The mods went down hard on footy gaf.

DBT85

Can any one see Amazon challenge Sky for the PL?

As I think the only voice in the community that works in the industry, nobody is expecting a push from Amazon or Netflix.

Sky are terrified of them both because of the low prices people pay for the content and its making people ask why the fuck they should spend so much on Sky.

Sky are reliant on TV subs and advertising during live sport. BT only got in to sport in the first place to push its broadband and have a dig at Sky.

In addition, the PL have a very good and long relationship with Sky. Even if Amazon came in tomorrow with a stupidly high offer, the PL won't drop Sky entirely. They know that Sky are in it for the long haul while Amazon or Netflix might only come in for a short term attack, which is what they felt BT were doing, which is why Sky still have so many games despite BT offering more for every single package available.

The PL's fear is that they give it all to BT/Amazon or whatever, Sky collapse with no sport as it's their driving force, and then when Amazon get bored of it and drop out anyone left can offer less money.

Still can't see it happening

The prem is fucked in the UK anyway, having to stream 3pm games ffs, its sad

This is down to the FA and its utterly stupid. Get on the right cruise ship and you can see the 3pm games once they leave British waters.

The PL are rumoured to be looking at a new weekend format that will essentially mean there will always be a Friday and Monday match, and then the other 8 games will be at something like 11:30, 13:30, 3:30 and 5:30 Saturday and Sunday. Eliminating the 3pm rule and also meaning that they always have a live game early for the Asian market and late for the US market to lead in to Handegg on the US networks.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

mostly just people chatting shit about non-football stuff and then someone kicked off about EviLore and that went down like a fart in a lift which got nearly everyone permabanned and football-gaf closed for a while.

DBT85

Lots of little bits, a bit of abuse at the red names, the thread wasn't just about football, it was literally about anything and everything that the community in it wanted to talk about, etc. There were lots of grey names by the end and then we were prohibited from having any football thread at all for a year I think.

Many went to another site that I also post on (which incidentally allows you to embed streamable, tweets, youtube, etc which is nice.)

Beefy

As I think the only voice in the community that works in the industry, nobody is expecting a push from Amazon or Netflix.

Sky are terrified of them both because of the low prices people pay for the content and its making people ask why the fuck they should spend so much on Sky.

Sky are reliant on TV subs and advertising during live sport. BT only got in to sport in the first place to push its broadband and have a dig at Sky.

In addition, the PL have a very good and long relationship with Sky. Even if Amazon came in tomorrow with a stupidly high offer, the PL won't drop Sky entirely. They know that Sky are in it for the long haul while Amazon or Netflix might only come in for a short term attack, which is what they felt BT were doing, which is why Sky still have so many games despite BT offering more for every single package available.

The PL's fear is that they give it all to BT/Amazon or whatever, Sky collapse with no sport as it's their driving force, and then when Amazon get bored of it and drop out anyone left can offer less money.

This is down to the FA and its utterly stupid. Get on the right cruise ship and you can see the 3pm games once they leave British waters.

The PL are rumoured to be looking at a new weekend format that will essentially mean there will always be a Friday and Monday match, and then the other 8 games will be at something like 11:30, 13:30, 3:30 and 5:30 Saturday and Sunday. Eliminating the 3pm rule and also meaning that they always have a live game early for the Asian market and late for the US market to lead in to Handegg on the US networks.

I can't see Netflix ever doing stuff like that. Amazon tho, depends on their line of thinking. What we really need is HBO etc to bring their subscription shit to the UK. That would stop the monopoly.

Think we saw in the build-up of Mane's goal why Klopp prefers Firmino at #9 instead of going out and buying a 20 goals-a-season man.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Think we saw in the build-up of Mane's goal why Klopp prefers Firmino at #9 instead of going out and buying a 20 goals-a-season man.

Of all the various problems I have with Liverpool's current transfer policy, this is not one of them. Someone like Sturridge is a perfect option for us if he can stay fit. Doesn't fit into that fluid front line perfectly but allows us to change it up without resorting to a target man.

DBT85

I can't see Netflix ever doing stuff like that. Amazon tho, depends on their line of thinking. What we really need is HBO etc to bring their subscription shit to the UK. That would stop the monopoly.

As I was going to post in the Thrones pirate thread but couldn't be arsed, HBO won't do it for the same simple reason as always. Money. They can make more money selling Thrones and their other hit shows to Sky individually than they will from subscribers to HBOGO in the UK, in addition, more people will watch it as Sky will promo the hell out of it which then drives merch, blu ray sales etc.

Similarly, when I worked for SciFi they never got the new SciFi shows like BSG as it was the US arm that made them and they could make more money selling them to Sky than they could in ads on their own channel in the UK. Also I think Sky might have helped pay for BSG to be made in the first place. But the general rule still stands.

TFC as in Toronto FC?

Yes, sorry... Toronto FC is my home town club! I'm actually heading to the match on the 12th versus the Portland Timbers.

Both FIFA and PES doesn't do it anymore for me. I get my fix from Rocket League these days to be honest :/

I have skipped the last few years of both Winning Eleven and FIFA. I think it's time that I jump back into the ring with this years FIFA. Just need to decide on the console (XBONE or PS4 since I have both).

Beefy

As I was going to post in the Thrones pirate thread but couldn't be arsed, HBO won't do it for the same simple reason as always. Money. They can make more money selling Thrones and their other hit shows to Sky individually than they will from subscribers to HBOGO in the UK, in addition, more people will watch it as Sky will promo the hell out of it which then drives merch, blu ray sales etc.

Similarly, when I worked for SciFi they never got the new SciFi shows like BSG as it was the US arm that made them and they could make more money selling them to Sky than they could in ads on their own channel in the UK. Also I think Sky might have helped pay for BSG to be made in the first place. But the general rule still stands.

Yeah I get that, just would be good if Sky didn't have it all

DBT85

Yeah I get that, just would be good if Sky didn't have it all

Can agree, but it would then mean that many just have to have both.

If Sky had all the football then I wouldn't need BT Sport, but then Sky might also drive the price up.

The ideal is a single platform at a reasonable price which is unlikely to happen outside of streaming services.

Beefy

Can agree, but it would then mean that many just have to have both.

If Sky had all the football then I wouldn't need BT Sport, but then Sky might also drive the price up.

The ideal is a single platform at a reasonable price which is unlikely to happen outside of streaming services.

Basically either Amazon or Sky turning into a streaming service

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Yes, sorry... Toronto FC is my home town club! I'm actually heading to the match on the 12th versus the Portland Timbers.

I have skipped the last few years of both Winning Eleven and FIFA. I think it's time that I jump back into the ring with this years FIFA. Just need to decide on the console (XBONE or PS4 since I have both).

Whichever console your mates play

Icolin

Banned
Our counter attack is looking good.

This is the only time I'm going to be cheering for you guys (unless you play Seattle). Portland's in the western conference, they're Cascadia rivals...

Markitron

If this is only Mane at half-fitness then there are going to be some worried defenders this season.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
If this is only Mane at half-fitness then there are going to be some worried defenders this season.

Mane is unplayable at his best, you just don't see his best that often.

He seems to like Klopp though so that's definitely a plus if he's fit.

Beefy

@SkyKaveh
Marca reporting Neymar's father will get £35m if his son moves to PSG. And a £23m loyalty bonus from Barcelona. If true, adds up to £58m

giphy.gif

Markitron

Mane is unplayable at his best, you just don't see his best that often.

He seems like like Klopp though so that's definitely a plus if he's fit.

I have really only watched him since joining Liverpool, and for the parts of the season where he was available, he was very consistent. The only time I remember seeing him other than that was when he shredded Liverpool at Saint Mary's.

What a strike from Moreno.

That's his one good piece of play for the season, best get rid now.

Feels like a foolproof strategy this season will be Coutinho lashing a ball up the pitch with Mane or Salah running like mad men for it.

Top Bottom